Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Supermodels who you feel are completely overhyped and overrated?

Who are some Supermodels you feel are/were completely overrated and/or overhyped in their Prime?

For me (and I know I may get shit for this), but Gia was 100% overrated. Everyone was so obsessed with her and I always found her odd looking, and not in a fun way, and way too butch at times. She also looked more Mexican to me than white, but that’s another topic.

Most of her photos aren’t nearly as beautiful as everyone claims. I just do not get it, and looking back, I feel the same way.

And let me clarify, I do find Gia Carangi beautiful! She was beautiful. She just was not deserving of the hype and praise she received.

I know they rushed and found Cindy Crawford as her replacement soon after she died, and did a quick switch, but I always felt Cindy was superior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 26, 2020 5:48 AM

It’s odd when you realize Gia’s impact despite only working for a short few years. She destroyed her career very quickly

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2020 3:27 AM

I never thought Kathy Ireland was anything special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2020 3:33 AM

One of those faces that loves makeup. A blank canvas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2020 3:35 AM

But I will say her pre-meth addicted Photos are truly superior. Once she became addicted every photo looked like a mannequin. Nothing behind the eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2020 3:42 AM

Not meth, heroin. I have not much sympathy for her. Plucked out of obscurity, propelled into a life of inimaginable luxury and privilege most of us have no idea of, she had the world at her feet. And decided to throw it all away in the space of what? 2 years max. Silly girl.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2020 3:49 AM

Her hands had to be hidden in the Cosmo cover at OP because one of them had a large open wound from shooting up in the same spot too many times.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2020 3:59 AM

cheryl tiegs was more like a hot coworker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2020 4:01 AM

Hadids, Jenner, and Cara Delevinge.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2020 4:02 AM

I love Kim Alexis but never understood niki taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2020 4:06 AM

Sorry. I confused things. The problem with the Cosmo cover (which was her last) was regular track marks on her arms. She'd had surgery for a tunnelling abscess on her hand a year earlier.

[quote]By fall of ’81, Gia determined to make a modeling comeback but was met with skepticism and derision. Francesco Scavullo out of sympathy offered her a cover-shoot for Cosmopolitan magazine. It was a gift. Scavullo felt pity for the model he had photographed at the height of her dazzling but short-lived career. Wanting to help her, Scavullo insisted that Gia deserved the winter cover shoot for the April 1982 issue. Gia did not live up to the favor. Her arms, scarred from the puncture marks of her addiction to heroin, could not be concealed in the sleeveless Fabrice gown chosen for the cover. Scavullo got around the problem by having Gia keep her arms tucked behind her. It would be Gia Carangi’s last cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2020 4:12 AM

Janis Dickinson, self denominated " the first super model" when many models fit in that category before her, personally I had no idea who she was until America next top model. Here is her with Gia. As you can see, She was nothing special in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2020 4:30 AM

R9 - yeah Niki Taylor. I never understood it - for awhile, she was on more covers than anyone. Big nose, big teeth, brown eyes and moles. And she was like 16.

I never understood it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2020 4:34 AM

There's already been repeated thread after repeated thread on this OP. Why did you find it necessary to come here and start another? Why? Why OP? Can you give us an intelligent, honest answer? Can you? Why would you come here and post this kind of shit yet AGAIN when there have already been so many prior threads on this EXACT same subject. Do you really think this is that damned interesting that it warrants another entire thread to be started? DO YOU??

Why couldn't you have done a search first OP? That would have been the polite thing to do. What you demonstrated was just plain selfishness. You have shown that you don't think about anybody but yourself. It's all about you and your own satisfaction. Next time before you post, do us all a favor and do a search. We don't need another duplicate thread just because of your laziness.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2020 4:34 AM

Linda evangelista..terrible last name too!

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2020 4:38 AM

R13 STFU I like this thread, just get out if it doesn't interest you damnit!

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2020 4:39 AM

Cara Delevingne, can't stand her. Never understood the hype

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2020 4:41 AM

Wow I just read Gia's biography. What a waste of life, a very fast and sad life.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2020 4:47 AM

Gia and Cindy Crawford broke up the consistent trend of "All-American" girl-next-door but a million times better supermodel who were all had blond hair and blue eyes. Gia had more ethnic features, appeared to be far more sensual in her photos, as well as being overly bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2020 4:57 AM

Never liked Naomi. I always saw real meanness into her eyes

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2020 5:02 AM

Amber Valetta is so overrated!

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2020 5:09 AM

R20? Really? I thought Amber was one of the truly beautiful, natural ones. Authentically beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2020 5:15 AM

Rachel Hunter...not attractive in the face AT ALL. How did she get famous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2020 5:17 AM

Gia could look beautiful or plain, depending on the pic. I find her pretty and sexy, but not all that, her features were a little hard/coarse. Cindy was prettier.

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2020 5:27 AM

I like models that look like models, not cheerleaders. Ex, Nadja Auermann, Suzy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2020 5:41 AM

Cindy Crawford was my camp counselor one year. She wore pigtails and had the most luminous skin I have ever seen, and I've worked with Julianne Moore (seriously).

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2020 5:43 AM

Kate Moss. Short (for a model), bland personality, bow-legged, and gave the same expression in most of her photos. Like Jackie O, her eyes were too widely spaced. She does have great cheekbones, though.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2020 5:53 AM

Any plus-sized "model." Also not a fan of Winnie Harlow.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2020 5:58 AM

Gisele Bundchen. Small eyes, big nose, heavy jaw. Very masculine looking.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2020 6:00 AM

*her eyes [bold]are[/bold] too widely spaced. Never heard of eyes moving closer together over time.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2020 6:00 AM

I always found Christy Turlington extremely bland in contrast with the other supermodels of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2020 6:05 AM

Cara Delevingne was the most beautiful child in Midwich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2020 6:49 AM

Supermodels don't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2020 6:51 AM

I notice the male models in Vogue or GQ are a much higher standard than female ones, in terms of bone structure and facial beauty. It has always been this way.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2020 7:02 AM

Male models don’t make shit

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2020 10:07 AM

Shocked Tyra hasn’t been attacked yet.

by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2020 4:31 PM

I second Kathy Ireland. Most of the big models on the early-mid 80s were so boring: Ireland, Kim Alexis, Shaun Casey, Willow Bay, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2020 4:36 PM

R25 I've met Julianne Moore and her skin is amazing, so I can't imagine how much better Crawford's is.

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2020 4:37 PM

R14, I think Linda is the best of them all.

Stella Tennant though... all she has is a scowl and a famous grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2020 4:44 PM

Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap Stealth Gia Carangi Stan fap thread. Worse than Belinda Carlisle Stan. fap fap fap fap fap fap

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2020 4:59 PM

The word is so overused, I'm omitting it from this sentence. imo there were less than ten supermodels, and they all dominated the 90s.

And my personal all-time favorite oddball bonus question 90s model was Kristen McMenamy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2020 5:07 PM

Elle MacPherson

Christie Brinkley

Heidi Klum

I just don't get it. Of course they have good bodies (Klum's proportions aren't even that great though), but facially, I find them extremely average.

Now, one might think I have a bias against blondes. I wouldn't say that's the case though, I think there are some absolutely stunning (naturally) blonde women, or women like Gisele who aren't great beauties but have that je ne sais quoi that makes them stand out (and, for the record, I'm white and naturally blonde myself). However, I feel like in terms of facial beauty, blondes are held to considerably lower standards than brunettes or red-heads.

A tall, slim woman with long blonde hair and a tan will almost automatically be considered a beauty or 'bombshell', even if her face is plain or harsh/horsey. Especially in America.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2020 5:56 PM

Jenny Brunt is THE Supermodel above all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2020 5:59 PM

Linda is a Dallas LEGEND!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2020 6:01 PM

Gisele. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2020 6:02 PM

Linda as THE model for NorthPark Center in DALLAS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2020 6:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2020 6:06 PM

R41 Klum was never a "supermodel" she was a working model. Not coveted for high fashion or anywhere, really.

by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2020 6:07 PM

I always thought Helena Christensen, though stunning, was spooky- and old-looking.

Horsey, wide-nosed Gisele Bundchen is my pick for #1 overrated model.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2020 6:15 PM

Ines de la fressange. Would be nothing without her heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2020 6:18 PM

Stella Tennant. Hard lesbian look. Karl had the most terrible taste in models.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2020 6:20 PM

R49 Inès was a designer's muse. Sure she modeled but she was not a "supermodel".

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2020 6:22 PM

R51 Any, she got way more visibility than she deserved.

Let’s continue with Karl‘s male muses. Brad Kroenig is just an AWG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2020 6:24 PM

And of course glorified hooker Baptiste G.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2020 6:25 PM

I thought Karl made Kristen Stewart look very fashionable and sometimes chic and sometimes glamorous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2020 6:29 PM

Julien Hedquist is perfection, especially at Gap for Holiday 2002!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2020 6:30 PM

Julien Hedquist was never overrated, especially not at Holiday 2002 at GAP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2020 6:31 PM

r56 Get lost you sick motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2020 6:32 PM

Yeah, whatever, R47. The point is, Klum is a woman with only slightly above average looks who, to my complete bewilderment, became rich and famous based on said looks. If you get paid millions for posing for photos or strutting down a runway (be in in lingerie or so-called 'high fashion'), you should have something that makes you stand out. Either beauty or that quality that makes it impossible not to look at you, even though you're technically far from perfect (imo, Gisele had it in her early days).

by Anonymousreply 58October 4, 2020 6:32 PM

Klum said she was a supermodel but she wasn't. When she got famous in the USA, Europe scratched their head, WHO? You are merely elaborating why she wasn't. The rest was marketing and ambition. I have to hand it to her for making herself a huge brand based on a false claim. And at least she did model, and wasn't just a whore.

by Anonymousreply 59October 4, 2020 6:35 PM

I never got the big deal about Jenny Gardener

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 4, 2020 6:36 PM

R56 In 2002 Julien was well on his way to being an out of control drug addict and alcoholic. Happy Holidays 2002 GAPPLAYSGUY. Fun times!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 61October 4, 2020 6:41 PM

Cindy Crawford...I never felt she was up on the same rung as Linda, Christie and Naomi

by Anonymousreply 62October 4, 2020 6:44 PM

R62 and Cindy wasn't. She didn't have the universal runway clout of those three.

by Anonymousreply 63October 4, 2020 6:46 PM

I’ve never been able to look at Gia without feeling grossed out knowing that her skin literally melted off of her back on her death bed.

by Anonymousreply 64October 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Klum is a household name. She’s a supermodel

by Anonymousreply 65October 4, 2020 7:19 PM

Gia was gorgeous. Pity she threw it all away.

by Anonymousreply 66October 4, 2020 7:27 PM

Overhyped and overrated for me are Christy Turlington and Christie Brinkley. Turlington is unique looking but not stunning...I totally don’t get it...and Naomi goes on and on about Turlington’s beauty. Brinkley had an ok to pretty face and very very beautiful hair that’s all. She should have been a model for hair care products only.

by Anonymousreply 67October 4, 2020 7:28 PM

^^ oh and Gisele Bundchen..nice legs and body that’s all

by Anonymousreply 68October 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Lick my ass. Supermodel means international fame and fortune based on MODELING. Klum is a household name by being a television and media celebrity. She did model. She was never a top model, let alone a supermodel. But, you do you, plebe.

by Anonymousreply 69October 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Klum was a SUPERmodel

by Anonymousreply 70October 4, 2020 7:30 PM

Name recognition doesn’t denote supermodel status, R65.

It’s that attitude that allowed those trolls spawned by Yolanda “Lyme & Lemons” Hadid and Nasal Kollapse Kris to claim supermodel status.

by Anonymousreply 71October 4, 2020 7:31 PM

I do believe the ignorance and stupidity that led people to declare Trump was a great businessman and billionaire, because he was a household name and said he was business mogul, is the same stupidity and ignorance that can lead someone to believe that Heidi Klum is or was a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 72October 4, 2020 7:31 PM

Heidi Klum was one of the top paid models for years, for her modeling, before Reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 73October 4, 2020 7:31 PM

I would agree that Klum was a top glamour model, with some success as a fashion model. I will agree that some Victoria's Secret glamour models became supermodels. Please remember that Klum was quickly hosting Victoria's Secret, rather than being THE model star of Victoria's Secret. I like Heidi Klum by the way, but I would hardly say she was overhyped and overrated as a supermodel because she never was one. She was something else.

by Anonymousreply 74October 4, 2020 7:37 PM

Elle Macpherson. Never understood it.

by Anonymousreply 75October 4, 2020 7:45 PM

Not true, R73. R65 & R70: Heidi Klum was not considered a true supermodel in the 90s because she wasn't a top [bold]fashion[/bold] model. It's fashon modeling that counted most. It's somewhat changed now, but for the longest time modeling definitely had a hierarchy. Fashion modeling was considered the top tier, followed by commercial and catalogue modeling. Near the bottom was lingerie/glamour modeling. The very bottom was probably Playboy/men's magazine cheesecake modeling.

Klum did some TV commercials during the 90s. I think one of them was for Pantene or Suave(?) She was never in-demand by high fashion designers. She wasn't a presence on catwalks for ready-to-wear or haute couture. She made her name doing Victoria's Secret in the 2000s. Her career wasn't like Gisele's or Naomi's or Yasmeen's, who did both VS and prestige work like haute couture fashion shows. VS and Project Runway (reality show fame) made Klum a household name and then the media (not the fashion industry) called her a supermodel, a term which has become meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 76October 4, 2020 7:47 PM

Linda had a weird nose..I liked Patti Hansen

by Anonymousreply 77October 4, 2020 7:52 PM

Angelina Jolie looked nothing like Gia

by Anonymousreply 78October 4, 2020 7:54 PM

To clarify, R73: Klum made bank with Victoria's Secret in the late 90s/early 2000s, but she wasn't making as much as the top fashion models. Those women had more diversified work. Klum did a few commercials, then VS, then Project Runway Supermodels were paid 5 figures for each runway show (they could do 5 shows in one day) and also had very lucrative contracts as spokesmodels for Revlon, Maybelline Cover Girl, Estee Lauder, as well as campaigns for designer perfumes and luxury accessories.

by Anonymousreply 79October 4, 2020 7:55 PM

Klum was making millions a year.

by Anonymousreply 80October 4, 2020 8:10 PM

Gia Carangi is another story i am surprised hasn’t been Turned into a mini-series or Docu-series

by Anonymousreply 81October 4, 2020 8:11 PM

R80: And real supermodels like Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, and (overrated) Gisele Bundchen made millions more.

by Anonymousreply 82October 4, 2020 8:13 PM

Brinkley was the girl every guy wanted to F. Lots still do. She was never a runway girl. Just the gorgeous girl next door....who of course never lived next door. Vacation cemented her place at the summer blond.

by Anonymousreply 83October 4, 2020 8:27 PM

Blonde. She’s a woman.

And everyone was obsessed with her. My mom still goes on and on about how beautiful she is.

by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2020 8:33 PM

I had a friend in college who went to high school with Niki Taylor, and he said she was dead-ordinary looking in person. You'd never in a million years guess she was a model.

by Anonymousreply 85October 4, 2020 8:37 PM

Going back a little, I never understood the big deal about Marisa Berenson. She had a very 'in' figure for the early 70s, but her face is rather horsey IMHO, and she had a pug nose. She looks like a pretty secretary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 4, 2020 8:39 PM

Marisa was a prettier version of her famous designer grandmother, Elsa Schiaparelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 4, 2020 8:40 PM

Klimt looked better as a brunette..her natural..same with Kelly ripa

by Anonymousreply 88October 4, 2020 8:42 PM

Lily Cole. A face like a creepy Victorian doll. A face only Tim Burton could love.

Thread closed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 4, 2020 8:42 PM

Never got Stella Tennant. Looks like a mean lesbian high school coach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 4, 2020 8:45 PM

I agree that Cole never made any sense as a supermodel. Without the professional make-up and lighting, she looks like she should be working the register at Tesco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 4, 2020 8:49 PM

R81 she has a rodent mouth.

by Anonymousreply 92October 4, 2020 8:54 PM

R91 ^

by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2020 8:55 PM

Some of the models (Brinkley, Tyra Banks) had really good bodies (flat stomach, etc.). I would say they were a different breed of model.

by Anonymousreply 94October 4, 2020 8:55 PM

I'm surprised by the lack of symmetry on Cole- like Kelly Rohrbach's mouth. IMO, facial symmetry is non-negotiable for modeling.

by Anonymousreply 95October 4, 2020 8:56 PM

Brinkley and Banks were more swimsuit/commercial models than high fashion models.

by Anonymousreply 96October 4, 2020 8:57 PM

Naomi was awful to Tyra in the 90s. She treated her like pure shit and bullied her when Tyra was starting to gain momentum

by Anonymousreply 97October 4, 2020 8:58 PM

Banks did do high fashion also. She walked many runways. She is just better known for her commercial work

by Anonymousreply 98October 4, 2020 8:58 PM

[quote]Some of the models (Brinkley, Tyra Banks) had really good bodies (flat stomach, etc.). I would say they were a different breed of model.

Elle Macpherson was literally nicknamed "The Body" among her peers in the industry. That's a good thing, because her face looks like Caitlyn Jenner's.

by Anonymousreply 99October 4, 2020 9:04 PM

The one's who had quirky facial features, like Linda Evangelista, for example...seemed to succeed at high fashion because they could pull off a variety of different looks.

by Anonymousreply 100October 4, 2020 9:06 PM

Isnt Elle Magazine literally named after Elle Macpherson?

by Anonymousreply 101October 4, 2020 9:18 PM

The infamous Gia 20/20 special where she speaks about being clean despite it being obvious she isn’t even clean there.

You can see the sadness in her eyes. It’s very very sad.

This was during her “comeback”, which she fucked up BIG TIME

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 4, 2020 9:20 PM

I am finally watching the Gia movie, and the completely gloss over her being a prostitute in Atlantic City before she died.

by Anonymousreply 103October 4, 2020 9:59 PM

I'm taking about the ladies who walked the runways and were used in high fashion magazines.....not those who posed for Vickies Secret or Sports Illustrated...those models were NEVER super models!

by Anonymousreply 104October 4, 2020 10:01 PM

R104 some did it all.

by Anonymousreply 105October 4, 2020 10:08 PM

R90 - interesting though. My totally straight father who always liked curvy women and a bit of extra weight on women once remarked a profile picture of Stella and said she had a "very refined, regularly proportioned face...very distinguished". He was an engineer by trade but his parents were in the arts and he was a painter and his hobby was art and history. He had a far better eye for detail and aesthetics than I do. My mom, who studied art history, agreed.

by Anonymousreply 106October 4, 2020 10:26 PM

YAWN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 4, 2020 10:27 PM

Anyone who says Gia was nothing special was blind and never saw her in motion. She was striking! Also magnetic. You eyes naturally latched onto her.

Not only a gorgeous face but a beautiful body! Tall, lean, yet had curves. Very beautiful woman. A lot more gentle and feminine than she’s usually portrayed as since her death.

Watch Francesco Scavullo photograph her in this special made of him. She was the model he wanted to photograph while his “film” was being shot. This was 1979. She was absolutely DIVINE. No one looked like her back then. She was one of a kind, in a sea of blonde blue eyed models.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 4, 2020 10:31 PM

Compare Kendall Jenner to Shalom Harlow. I could stare at pictures of Shalom for hours (and I have). She also looked different in every shoot, on every cover. One of the most versatile models ever! She's also still exquisitely, naturally beautiful to this day, unlike Stephanie Seymour or Carla Bruni or Kate Moss, or...you get the idea. The only person that is in the same league in terms of aging beautifully, would be someone like Isabella Rossallini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 4, 2020 10:40 PM

I recently watched "Catwalk," a documentary about the 90s models. Featuring Christy Turlington. A couple of models in the Pantheon were left out, i.e., Linda Evangelista.

You guys / girls might like to watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 4, 2020 10:50 PM

R107, I actually think she looks adorable in that shot. She was more interesting looking before the nose job and the lip implants

by Anonymousreply 111October 4, 2020 10:57 PM

One of those Hadid girls...the ugly one. I don't know their names.

by Anonymousreply 112October 4, 2020 11:13 PM

I get that people know Tyra most for Victoria’s Secret and Commercial Modeling (because that is what made her most famous), but she very much was a Runway model the first few years of her modeling career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 4, 2020 11:26 PM

Here is CNN doing a segment on Tyra back in 1992, when she was only 19. They were speaking about how her Catwalk and Runway presence were making her an international star. But DL will say she only worked for VS and Sports Illustrated. A blatant lie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 4, 2020 11:28 PM

I thought Vendela was kind of bland looking

by Anonymousreply 115October 4, 2020 11:42 PM

Klum and Bunchden do not belong in this thread. They were not and are not HIGH FASHION MODELS OF THE 1990’s. Those that are of the delusion that these girls were, need to move on.

by Anonymousreply 116October 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Bundchen was absolutely high fashion, with multiple Vogue covers. Klum wasn't.

BTW, like Klum better with her natural brown hair

by Anonymousreply 117October 4, 2020 11:59 PM

R101: No. Where did you get that idea? Elle magazine started in 1945. Elle Macpherson, born in 1964, was named Eleanor by her parents.

I always thought Elle's mannish wide shoulders made her head look rather small. And she was famous for being a commercial swimsuit model, not a top fashion model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 5, 2020 12:36 AM

Elle did it all

by Anonymousreply 119October 5, 2020 12:37 AM

R115: Vendela had that square-jawed/masculinized bone structure the fashion industry loves in female models (the androgyny trend that never went away), but she had no charisma.

by Anonymousreply 120October 5, 2020 12:37 AM

I still don’t know how I feel about Twiggy. A part of me finds her look fascinating while another part finds her too odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 5, 2020 12:40 AM

R114 she did high fashion and was especially very successful when she first went to Paris booking literally almost every designer. She was an overnight success. Unfortunately 2 things happened to end that; 1. Her booty became to thicc and 2. Naomi Campbell, well actually the racist industry that insisted that there could be only 1 black supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 122October 5, 2020 12:44 AM

R122 oh I know she did high fashion. She did everything. I was a huge fan back in the 90s. She had a massive presence and always commanded the runway. I get annoyed at DLers always claiming she only ever did VS and Sports Illustrated, therefore she isn’t a Supermodel, when in reality she was a High Fashion Model and Runway Darling long before she joined Victoria’s Secret or did Sports Illustrated.

But Naomi didn’t help matters. She really was a bitch to Tyra.

by Anonymousreply 123October 5, 2020 12:56 AM

Elle had the perfect 80s body, more straight up and down.

by Anonymousreply 124October 5, 2020 1:02 AM

I've never understood the whole Christie Brinkley phenomenon. Everything about her screams "basic". Nothing striking or remotely sensual about her.

I'll add on Kendall Jenner for the same reasons. Jenner has one of those faces that you forget a second after seeing it. Brinkley and Jenner both resemble one of those composite photos of what a scientifically attractive person is supposed to look like. Technically symmetrical but lacking in something vital.

by Anonymousreply 125October 5, 2020 1:05 AM

Miranda Kerr owns this thread. She was huge a few years back when infantile faces were in vogue. At one point it got so bad that half the runway models looked like ten year olds with some form of genetic gigantism. Something about an adult with the face of a fetus is just viscerally unnerving to me. I half expect to see her being cradled on Instagram by a distraught Chrissy Teigen.

by Anonymousreply 126October 5, 2020 1:11 AM

Kendall Jenner has had some really good, natural-looking plastic surgery. She does look like a model to me. However, there is no emotion in her face and eyes, very flat-looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 5, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] I've never understood the whole Christie Brinkley phenomenon. Everything about her screams "basic". Nothing striking or remotely sensual about her.

R125, agree. She was more girl-next-door with sexy body. Now, she still looks good. She seems kind of gold-digger-ish to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 5, 2020 1:16 AM

I find Brinkley more beautiful now than then.

by Anonymousreply 129October 5, 2020 1:21 AM

Entirely too much has been made of Gia Carangi. She was never a "super model." She had a very brief modeling career. She was kind of a novelty in her time, a dusky skinned, brown eyed brunette in contrast to all those pale skinned blondes. She also had a dark, intense quality about her that made her photos interesting. She was in demand for a short time. But she soon imploded, immediately becoming a hard core drug addict and getting AIDs and dying at age 26.

Although there was nothing interesting about her at all except her looks people seem to be fascinated by her. She had that Marilyn Monroe thing going: beautiful, sought after young woman who seemingly has everything but is desperately unhappy,mentally ill and addicted to drugs. People always puzzle over things like that. And the fact that she was a lesbian also added some spice to the story. I read that book about her, "Thing of Beauty" by Stephen Fried. You would think it would be an engrossing read but it was just very boring. Poor little Gia, constantly fucking up, that's all it amounted to. Some people think modeling contributed to her demise but that wasn't true. As someone said of her "she would have been a casualty in any life."

by Anonymousreply 130October 5, 2020 1:25 AM

Gia was a Supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 131October 5, 2020 1:28 AM

What Gia was is technically the exact definition of a “Supermodel”.

He did it ALL, in demand by every top designer and photographer overnight, and became a Household name. She covered magazines all over the world.

Had she lived longer she probably would have done reality TV or Hosted a show at some point in the 00s.

by Anonymousreply 132October 5, 2020 1:32 AM

Had Gia gotten her shit together and lived, there would be no Supermodel named Cindy Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 133October 5, 2020 1:36 AM

R126 All the women on my mother's side have faces like that, and it is freaky. At least they're all short.

R130 I think she was gorgeous, but, yeah, she would've self-destructed no matter what. Sorta like Brad Renfro.

by Anonymousreply 134October 5, 2020 2:37 AM

Adriana Lima

by Anonymousreply 135October 5, 2020 2:39 AM

I've lived in an area (~ 14th floor of a high rise bldg.) that was near an emergency hospital. I did get used to the ambulance / sirens noises. Not sure if the sound would've been worse if I had been living on the ground floor.

by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2020 2:40 AM

Ypir was so overrated

by Anonymousreply 137October 5, 2020 2:43 AM

"He did it ALL, in demand by every top designer and photographer overnight, and became a Household name. She covered magazines all over the world.

Had she lived longer she probably would have done reality TV or Hosted a show at some point in the 00s."

I guess you mean "she" did it all. But she was far from a "supermodel." She had a brief period where she was in demand and that was IT. And she sure as hell was not a "household name." She got famous AFTER she died and became this ;pitiful tragic figure. But it's hard to feel sorry for her. She made her choices in life and they were all disastrous.

She would have "done reality Tv or Hosted a show?" Well, maybe she would have gone on some celebrity rehab show, but I doubt it. She wasn't interested in getting off drugs. And "Hosted a show?" HAHAHA! The poor girl couldn't even be counted on to show up for her modeling bookings, much less have been the host of a tv show.

h

by Anonymousreply 138October 5, 2020 2:45 AM

Gia 100% became a Household name while alive

by Anonymousreply 139October 5, 2020 2:47 AM

Oh wow. She's before my time. But Cindy Crawford totally was Gia 2.0. R133 is right. There would have been no room for Cindy if Gia had lived.

by Anonymousreply 140October 5, 2020 2:56 AM

R140 after Gia’s downfall they literally sought out a replacement for her, because she was making them So much money. She was on so many covers in such a short time because her issues sold.

Cindy said that when she was discovered and signed, she was brought to everyone who ever worked with Gia (who was now dead) and they automatically wanted to work with her. She didn’t go through the casting hell of most models, Gia literally paved her way to each photographer and designer etc.

by Anonymousreply 141October 5, 2020 3:00 AM

Model Cindy Crawford, who rose to prominence the year Carangi died, was referred to as "Baby Gia" due to her resemblance to Carangi. Crawford later recalled, "My agents took me to all the photographers who liked Gia: Albert Watson, Francesco Scavullo, Bill King. Everyone loved her look so much that they gladly saw me."

by Anonymousreply 142October 5, 2020 3:04 AM

R139 During that time Cheryl tiegs and Christie Brinkley were household names because they went into other ventures besides modeling. The ones who stuck with high fashion modeling weren’t household names names. Elle, Kathy Ireland, Cindy Crawford, Paulina, Tyra banks and Heidi Klum straddled both fashion and more commercial modeling for awhile until they branched out and became more of a brand. Tyras career really didn’t take off until the mid 90s with the Nike commercial then the VS and SI photo shoots.

Klum has some big high fashion covers before she broke out, but she also broke out when models were being used less and less for magazine covers and were being replaced with celebrities in the late 90s and quickly transitioned into being more of a brand.

Gia wasn’t a novelty and it’s ridiculous to say she was. Janice Dickinson, Andie McDowell, Barbara minty, and Esme were all successful during that time and had darker features.

by Anonymousreply 143October 5, 2020 3:29 AM

"Gia 100% became a Household name while alive."

In your mind, perhaps. Who are you, her crazy mother?

by Anonymousreply 144October 5, 2020 3:34 AM

" There would have been no room for Cindy if Gia had lived."

Oh, please. First of all, if Carangi had lived her modeling career would still have been over. She was a total fuck up; and she was losing her looks rapidly due to drug use. Cindy Crawford, who had a similar look, would have wiped her off the map. Not only was she great to look at, she was completely professional. Poor Gia would have been out on her ass.

by Anonymousreply 145October 5, 2020 3:38 AM

Shelly Hack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 5, 2020 3:40 AM

I never understood the appeal of Christy Turlington. She has a face like a bird.

I never understood why Kate Moss was such a big deal either. She had an unhealthy look about her. But "heroin chic" was in then, and I guess she fit the bill when it came to that.

by Anonymousreply 147October 5, 2020 3:47 AM

Models were more symmetrical in the past when it was photographers who choose who became supermodels. They had a wide genetic pool to choose from and were not forced to choose someone who's parents possessed 'superior' genes. Those 60s-80s girls were just lucky genetic freaks.

Kendall may be a pretty girl, but look closely at her bone structure and she's a dog compared to someone like Gia, who had no surgery yet was as stunning at five o'clock in the morning as she was eight hours into a modelling shoot.

Also, Twiggy, she had no surgery yet the left and right sides of her face are nearly exactly symmetrical when you compare side by side, almost no differentiation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 5, 2020 4:05 AM

Gigi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 5, 2020 4:07 AM

Hailey Baldwin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 5, 2020 4:08 AM

Cindy Crawford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 5, 2020 4:10 AM

Gisele

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 5, 2020 4:11 AM

"Symmetry" is overrated. You can be 600 pounds, bald, have a face full of cystic acne and still be "symmetrical"

by Anonymousreply 153October 5, 2020 4:11 AM

Bella is actually closer to the neater form of the old supermodels, yet her symmetry was something Daddy paid for and not what nature had intended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 5, 2020 4:14 AM

[quote]"Symmetry" is overrated. You can be 600 pounds, bald, have a face full of cystic acne and still be "symmetrical"

Babies are naturally more symmetrical, as it's closer to the perfection as nature intended and has as much to do with bone structure, as clear skin and overall fitness. If she is as diseased and unhealthy as you suggest then she will be anything but "symmetrical"

by Anonymousreply 155October 5, 2020 4:19 AM

I don't understand the exercise. Without annotation, it's unclear. Are you saying that everyone you just posted is an example of symmetricality? Or are we supposed to decide for ourselves?

by Anonymousreply 156October 5, 2020 4:20 AM

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Bella Hadid is gorgeous. She reminds me of some of the quirkier the models of the 90s: Shalom Harlow, Amber Valetta, Carla Bruni. She unfortunately lacks the personality of those women. She has zero personality.

by Anonymousreply 157October 5, 2020 4:28 AM

I was around at the time and don't remember hearing about Gia until that book came out, though there were pictures of her. She wasn't a name that people outside the industry talked about. Christie Brinkley was--she was huge and she got some major commercial contracts--she had that California Girl thing going.

Some of the others--Elle McPherson was one of the big SI swimsuit models, great body and not afraid to show it--all of it--so big straight guy following that helped boost her name recognition. Not a beautiful/striking face, just kind of pretty.

I think I read here that Giselle Bundchen had one of the best backs in the business--she also moved well, so she takes a great fashion pix.

Kate Moss was in the right place at the right time--great cheekbones, but mostly just a total contrast to the Amazonian supermodels--she wore clothes differently as a result and the fashion world loved that. Also a good sense of personal style and, unlike a lot of them, gave almost no interviews, so she retained a bit of mystery that gave her some range as a model in editorial work.

I was once told Christie Turlington was one of those rare models who could be shot straight on.

Janet Dickinson wasn't the big name she retroactively pretends to have been. It's funny, Paulina Porizkova was huge for a few years, but she's not talked about the same way--probably because she famously talked about how boring modeling was, but her success was part of the reason other models were going out for lip injections and boob jobs. You look back and she had it all--SI and Vogue covers, big make-up contract. Super-successful for a time.

by Anonymousreply 158October 5, 2020 4:29 AM

Nadja Auermann was a goddess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 5, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote]I had a friend in college who went to high school with Niki Taylor, and he said she was dead-ordinary looking in person. You'd never in a million years guess she was a model.

She starved herself to look like a model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 5, 2020 5:39 AM

Christy has an obvious nose job. Not a natural beauty.

by Anonymousreply 161October 5, 2020 5:54 AM

Cindy was absolutely breathtaking in her prime. She blew Gia away.

by Anonymousreply 162October 5, 2020 7:05 AM

[quote]Elle Macpherson. Never understood it.

She was never really part of that group because she could make the other supermodels, no matter how tall and thin look like dumpy chicklets in comparison. Her body was spectacular, with a pretty enough face that could look fresh and vital with not a lot of effort. Bland personality though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 5, 2020 7:11 AM

R126 you described that perfectly — that look is so unnerving to me. I’m not a fan of the square jawed masculine Stella Tennant look the modeling industry loves either (soft featured women are just so much prettier imo), but at least it doesn’t freak me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 164October 5, 2020 7:34 AM

I also posted above about Nadja Auermann. She had the longest legs.

My favourites are Bridget Hall, Nadja, Kristin Holby, and the most divine model who ever lived, Jean Shrimpton.

by Anonymousreply 165October 5, 2020 8:07 AM

I see it now r163.

by Anonymousreply 166October 5, 2020 8:40 AM

Claudia Schiffer.

by Anonymousreply 167October 5, 2020 8:50 AM

Elle Macpherson was the original TAB Cola girl in Australia, that was her first modelling assignment, filmed when she was 17.

When she turned up the director was not impressed as he thought of her as ordinary looking, she also had spotty teenage skin and was a little unkept. It helped tremendously she had a freakishly great body, and also a great smile. The video caused a sensation everywhere. She never had any surgery, except maybe the tiniest refinement to the tip of her nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 5, 2020 9:58 AM

Elle McPherson was commercial, swimsuits, she wasn't really high fashion, which is what supermodel refers to.

Gia was a little before the actual supermodel era, she was in fact dead when it started.

R133, Gia was shortish and didn't have the personality. She wasn't much on the runway and her neck was too short. She was also older than Cindy.

The point about the 90s supermodels - which is what is really meant by supermodel - is that they were (and still are) genuine friends and part of a group that worked together and helped create the "supermodel era". The era really opened with Peter Lindbergh's British Vogue cover of Cindy, Christy, Linda, Naomi and Tatiana. George Michael then used them in his Freedom video. Them being a group was the point, supermodels were part of a cultural moment, it wasn't just about an individual model getting the most Vogue covers. It also required a certain type of designer that operated in that kind of mindset and designed for that kind of woman, e.g. Gianni Versace.

There are a lot of factors that came together to create that era, which would be hard to replicate now and would have been difficult before.

by Anonymousreply 169October 5, 2020 11:19 AM

I never understood the appeal of Cindy Crawford, too ordinary, too bland, too boring.

Stella Tennant, Evangelista (although I don't think she was beautiful) was probably the most talented supermodel ever, Helena Christensen - very sensual and erotic, Auermann was a great runway model and had an amazing body and face, but was not that great in photo shoots.

by Anonymousreply 170October 5, 2020 11:28 AM

Another one for Kathy Ireland but she was really just a swimsuit model.

Did Cindy have a nose job?

by Anonymousreply 171October 5, 2020 11:50 AM

Elle started out doing swimsuit and commercial modeling but in the 90s she branched out into Haute couture for several years (she had a very elegant walk) and landed several Vogue covers in most markets. Elle was an original partner in the ill-fated Fashion Cafe business chain, along with other supermodels Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, and Christy Turlington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 5, 2020 12:02 PM

Kylie Jenner, Gigi Hadid, and the rest of the current crop of supermodels who look like slightly pretty, wealthy suburban girls "discovered" at a Calabasas shopping mall and pushed into the spotlight.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 173October 5, 2020 12:07 PM

Jerry Hall!

by Anonymousreply 174October 5, 2020 12:54 PM

Claudia Schiffer. Never understood the hype.

by Anonymousreply 175October 5, 2020 1:49 PM

R175 I totally get Schiffer. If I were a straight guy, I’d be into her, with her feline features, cheekbones, curves and luscious blond hair. She’s feminine, unlike Tennant, Lily Cole, the Jenner girl, or Kristin McEnamy. I’d also be into Tatiana Paris and the one married John Cougar Mellencamp (yes I am too lazy to look up her name).

Kate Moss I don’t get, either.

Elle Macpherson had a pretty face! You guys are crazy.

I have to say, I do like Miranda Kerr. I can see the appeal. Her accent helps.

by Anonymousreply 176October 5, 2020 1:56 PM

*Tatiana Patiz

by Anonymousreply 177October 5, 2020 1:56 PM

Elaine Irwin, she was the one married to Mellencamp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 5, 2020 2:01 PM

Gia Carangi was deeply damaged by her childhood. Her mom walked out on the family and Gia's father left his kids to do pretty much as they pleased. She was experimenting with drugs and sex at a very young age. If she hadn't become a model, she still would have become a junkie and died of AIDS. Her pretty face and the fame it brought her was all that set her apart from the other street kids with tragic ends.

by Anonymousreply 179October 5, 2020 2:46 PM

R169 Great breakdown of that era! The Supermodels weren't exactly "mean girls" per se, but they were a clique for sure. It wasn't just about individual models becoming global sensations in proximity to one another.

Another thing about the supermodels that is striking to me now, is how physically LARGE they were. Those gals were TALL!!! They may have been in model shape but their actual bones were larger. And a lot of the sexier ones actually had some meat on their bones. They had so much presence, so much personality. They had actual real tits. They looked and radiated energy like goddesses! They exuded class, vitality, wit, brains, and sex appeal.

We could not have had the Supermodels without Regan and the yuppies and the conspicuous consumption of the 80s, which came to its full flowering in the 90s. The 90s was a wildly decadent era. The world had a real lust for couture and "labels, labels, labels." Remember Edina Monsoon in "Ab Fab" yelling "It's LACROIX, sweetie-darling! LACROIX!"? I miss those days.

Looking back, it almost felt innocent. Not overtly sexual and trashy like culture is today. There were still lots of drugs, but somehow they connoted wealth and connections and privilege and sex, it a cultural sense. These days when you here about someone on drugs, you visualize a skinny young guy in a wife-beater smoking meth in a trailer with his toothless step-uncle.

Back then it was all about raves, and all the anthemic pop music of that era. Lots of fun, lots of flash. It was about cosmopolitan life: shopping in the city; flying; going to parties; schmoozing at art openings and fashion shows--a glass of champagne always in hand.

by Anonymousreply 180October 5, 2020 3:45 PM

Gia was making $10k a minute per shoot/runway at her peak.

by Anonymousreply 181October 5, 2020 4:01 PM

If any of you dis Ypir, I riot.

by Anonymousreply 182October 5, 2020 4:10 PM

Evangelista was just a great model...whether you liked her feature or not, she was great in front of the camera.

Moss had really strong features but she was too short for runway but she was a star so they used her.

Kristin McNemany was a good model too, kind of weird looking but she had talent. And it is a talent when you look at the faces today who the fuck even comes to mind??

by Anonymousreply 183October 5, 2020 4:23 PM

I always thought Laetitia Casta was prettier than Gisele

by Anonymousreply 184October 5, 2020 4:30 PM

"They exuded class, vitality, wit, brains, and sex appeal."

You must not know much about Naomi Campbell or Kate Moss. Classy, they're not. This is another example of "Everything was better in MY day" syndrome that is pretty prevalent here.

by Anonymousreply 185October 5, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote] Claudia Schiffer. Never understood the hype.

CS was made up to look like Brigitte Bardot in the Guess jeans ads. That made her popularity explode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 5, 2020 5:45 PM

Guess also did amazing things with Anna Nicole Smith, who otherwise looked like what she was: a white trash stripper with a pretty face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 5, 2020 6:00 PM

I never understood Lauren Hutton. She seems like she would be exactly like jer character in American Gigolo. Exactly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 5, 2020 6:43 PM

IMO, Lauren Hutton always had a womanly face rather than a girlish face. She looks like she has cheek implants at R188.

by Anonymousreply 189October 5, 2020 6:46 PM

This listicle includes many of the names battered about in this thread. I remember a movie with Shalom Harlow, and three other models, was stupid but funny fluff (Picture Perfect).

I also dint think that enough hype gets to Kevyn Aucoin for transforming these women.

Also dont know why George Michaels video for Too Funky is NEVER mentioned!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 5, 2020 7:08 PM

I found Elle McPherson very beautiful when she was on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 191October 5, 2020 7:17 PM

OP don’t you ever disrespect Gia!

by Anonymousreply 192October 5, 2020 7:19 PM

Gia was 😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 5, 2020 7:22 PM

R185 I did not include Kate Moss. She came after, with the heroin junkie look. If I didn't say "gee thanks, Kate Moss" at the end of my bit about the junkie look that overtook the Supermodel heyday, I meant to.

As for Naomi, she DID exude wit, vitality, sex appeal, and a goddess energy. Not brains. And she just was a massive, massive spoiled bitch. As was Linda. But it doesn't negate the fact that they were more glamorous and husky-sexy than the models that came after them.

And yeah, my era was peak-supermodel, and I loved it. It wasn't all woke and self-conscious. People weren't so guilt-ridden and fearful. People still danced, people still flirted, and there was still risk and exhilaration. No one was lounging around smacked out on heroin in the spreads. No one was shouting "ME TOO!" if someone touched you flirtatiously at the bar. It was, god forbid... fun.

by Anonymousreply 194October 5, 2020 7:36 PM

R194 are you speaking of the late 80's early 90's?

by Anonymousreply 195October 5, 2020 8:00 PM

R195 My peak Vogue-reading years were my first and second years of college, which were 1991-93.

by Anonymousreply 196October 5, 2020 8:02 PM

R194, not sure what world you're living in

I was around in the 90s and it was far from perfect. Most people still hated gays. But maybe that's a good thing to you, since your views seem pretty reactionary. Rape still happened, assault still happened. The country had a higher crime rate than it does now. People still dance, people still flirt (although maybe they don't flirt with elderly Republicans like you...)

by Anonymousreply 197October 5, 2020 8:16 PM

R197 at this given point in time there is no dancing, no real socializing with anyone whose recent contact history isn't immediately known to you because of covid. It's fun to look back at more tangible indulgence right now.

by Anonymousreply 198October 5, 2020 8:42 PM

R198, tons of people are breaking lockdown orders to have parties. So, no, it didn't stop.

by Anonymousreply 199October 5, 2020 8:44 PM

I was a child in the 90s in a major city, and even I have nostalgia for the sexy, heady glamour of the dance music, high fashion, supermodel era- a sort of mix of graphic art and designer drugs and chic black and white and gold. I can't describe it, but I saw it in magazines, expensive boutiques at my mom's knees and in the music from my friend's cooler, younger parents.

Probably a lot of heroin in retrospect, but it was just sharper.

by Anonymousreply 200October 5, 2020 9:08 PM

R180 = Donatella Versace's collapsed nose

by Anonymousreply 201October 5, 2020 9:20 PM

R190 yikes, Christy Turlington’s nose looks fake.

by Anonymousreply 202October 5, 2020 9:34 PM

Naomi Campbell. Ugly inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 203October 5, 2020 9:38 PM

It was indeed a heady era..the last time we actually had some creativity and uniqueness. Everything after 1993 kind of sucked especially with the advent of grunge

by Anonymousreply 204October 5, 2020 9:57 PM

The world is still reeling from the advent of the internet. It makes the invention of the printing press look like nothing by comparison, and THAT rocked everyone's world in the 1500s. I'm guessing it will take us at least 50 years to get a handle on the web, and we're only 25 years in.

by Anonymousreply 205October 5, 2020 10:14 PM

Carangi peaked at 18/19. The hard living got her fast. If she'd lived, her modeling days would still have been over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 5, 2020 10:16 PM

If they ever make another Gia biopic, they ought to test Kaia Gerber for it. She has more of Gia's dark vibe than Cindy ever did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 5, 2020 11:01 PM

R207 many have said Kaia resembles Gia more than her mom

by Anonymousreply 208October 5, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote]Everything after 1993 kind of sucked especially with the advent of grunge

Yes, Courtney Love and Heroin Chic were especially hot in 1993. The first two years of the Nineties started out very clean-cut and understated in comparison, after that, much more trashy. Luckily the main core of supermodels was too diverse to let heroin chic define them for very long. Here: Nadja, Christy, Claudia, Cindy, Stephanie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209October 6, 2020 12:11 AM

R197 This isn't a thread about rape, politics, economics, race, or the plight of gays. It's a thread about fucking supermodels. That's what's happening on this particular thread. And with that in mind, I was writing and musing on culture through that lens.

If you want to talk about "The Issues" happening in the 90s, I'm happy to do that on a different thread.

This one is about models.

by Anonymousreply 210October 6, 2020 12:34 AM

I've never heard of Garangi outside of DL. She's never brought up in supermodel discussions.

Is she just DL famous?

by Anonymousreply 211October 6, 2020 12:36 AM

R209 Wow look at Cindy's legs in that photo! Muscular and strong. Not scrawny with that huge thigh gap that is so coveted today. Those were real women.

by Anonymousreply 212October 6, 2020 12:42 AM

R211 no. If that were the case a very successful movie wouldn’t have been made about her

by Anonymousreply 213October 6, 2020 12:44 AM

kate moss

by Anonymousreply 214October 6, 2020 12:46 AM

R108 Thank you for posting that film! I love the vibe of 70s documentaries. That background music!

ps Who is narrating? It sounds so much like Dick Cavett, but it probably isn't.

by Anonymousreply 215October 6, 2020 12:51 AM

Kate Moss. I just don’t get how she became a model.

by Anonymousreply 216October 6, 2020 1:04 AM

^She had wonky eyes and bad teeth too. It's a mystery how she ever got any kind of modeling work, let alone supermodel level.

by Anonymousreply 217October 6, 2020 1:08 AM

I was very young in 1986 but still I remember Gia's death and the shockwaves it sent around the planet.

There was just a sense of fear, a kind of unbeliveable factor that it had touched one of the untouchables.

We'd seen Rock Hudson and a few others die from AIDS, and Gia was not mega-famous but a well known identity. That it cut down a young woman in her prime; a seemingly healthy and very attractive woman was just too shocking at for words.

by Anonymousreply 218October 6, 2020 1:11 AM

Gia could glam it up. She was a fantastic-looking, feminine model. But off the clock, she was quite butch. She was NOT a lipstick lesbian. She was manly and I don't think she gave a shit about fashion. That's my take, from looking at candid, not-styled photos of her. And photos of her with her girlfriends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 6, 2020 1:13 AM

Towards the end of her life, Gia began to develop an interest in photography. I don't know if she was any good, but if she had been and lived, it's nice to think she could have become another Annie Leibovitz.

by Anonymousreply 220October 6, 2020 1:20 AM

Jolie was so wrong in Gia. She was striking, and had the height but her features were all wrong, especially her nose and eyes.

by Anonymousreply 221October 6, 2020 1:48 AM

R212 actually I was going to say the opposite — they’re thin but not particularly muscular at all. They’re actually quite soft and pretty darn normal looking.

And she was 100 times prettier than Gia ever was. She could also speak in full sentences which had its own appeal.

by Anonymousreply 222October 6, 2020 1:48 AM

How did she get the AIDS, from sharing needles?

by Anonymousreply 223October 6, 2020 1:52 AM

Gia had an edge to her, Cindy was more homely and boring. She covered the frau's side of the fashion industry.

by Anonymousreply 224October 6, 2020 1:56 AM

Since she wasn't much into heterosex, it probably was the heroin addiction that gave her AIDS. She was a regular in the downtown shooting galleries once she really started to go out of control in 1980 (after the death of her mentor Wilhemina). Exactly the wrong time and place to be an intravenous drug addict.

If you look at her career, all the best shots are from mid-1978 to mid-1980. After that, the drug habit spiraled and her career went right down the drain. She was really only hot for a very short period, even by model standards. Most successful models have a 7-10 year run. With Gia, it was more like 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 225October 6, 2020 1:57 AM

"I was very young in 1986 but still I remember Gia's death and the shockwaves it sent around the planet."

"Shockwaves it sent around the planet?!" HAHAHAHA! That's funny as hell. Her death went pretty much unnoticed, as I recall. Of course it would be. She was out of the modeling scene for quite a while by the time of her death. This is from "Thing of Beauty" by Stephen Fried:

At the time of Gia's death, no obituaries ever appeared in major newspapers, magazines, or trade publications. Only a small death notice appeared in The Philadelphia Inquirer. She would never been mentioned in any of the myriad articles about AIDS in the fashion industry.

"You know, this will sound awful," recalled one hairstylist, "but I remember when her father called me and said she died, I wondered why he called me. He said, "I know you were very good friends with my daughter." I would have been awful for me to deny it, wouldn't it?"

"i remember asking a photographer, "Where is this Gia, whatever happened with her?" recalled German Vogue fashion editor Suzanne Kolmel. He said "You know that she DIED. And at the end, she sold PIZZA.

So much for the "shockwaves it sent around the planet." Gia Carangi's funeral was held at a small funeral home in suburban Philadelphia. Nobody from the fashion world attended or sent flowers, but weeks later a Mass card arrived from Francesco Scavullo.

by Anonymousreply 226October 6, 2020 2:32 AM

"Gia began to develop an interest in photography. I don't know if she was any good, but if she had been and lived, it's nice to think she could have become another Annie Leibovitz."

Nah, that never would have happened. Gia Carangi had beauty, but not much else; no education, no ambition, no work ethic, no ability to concentrate, no family support system. She was really a ditz who lucked out into a modeling career and used her money to wallow in drugs. She was truly doomed.

by Anonymousreply 227October 6, 2020 2:35 AM

I don’t know, r226, I remember when she died, and being shocked. But I’m from Philly, so it definitely got more play here. I was about the same age as her, and also had friends who knew her pretty well when she was growing up. She was definitely a free spirit.

by Anonymousreply 228October 6, 2020 2:39 AM

She was 21 when she left NYC to go home and try to kick heroin. Her comeback attempt at modeling was over by 1983. If she hadn't gotten sick, she might have eventually gotten off the drugs and done something else with herself. Gotten an education, a steady girlfriend, something. Bad fucking timing to start shooting heroin in downtown NYC in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 229October 6, 2020 2:39 AM

TYRA BANKS!!!! Ew, ew, ew.

I was totally baffled by her emergence in the world of modelling in the early 90s. She's an oversized troll doll!

by Anonymousreply 230October 6, 2020 2:45 AM

Tatjana patitz never exploded into the zeitgeist like the others did after the vogue cover came out.

Lena kansbod and dayle Haddon were able to balance high fashion and more commercial modeling in the 70s. Carol alt did for a bit in the early 80s but tilted towards more commercial modeling.

So few black models got the coveted scavullo cosmo covers. I think from the 70s to the 90s less than 10 black women made the cover.

Avedon loved photographing Shari belafonte for a time.

by Anonymousreply 231October 6, 2020 3:15 AM

I don't think Gia was so well-known on the west coast US as on the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 232October 6, 2020 4:54 AM

R226 Well, I don't live anywhere near America, and can clearly remember her death being a big deal on the news one night (one of my parents gasped when they heard it was AIDS). Also, some of the little girls who read teen magazines were quite upset about it the next day at school. She may not have had the longest or most magnificent career but she did manage to touch quite a few people.

by Anonymousreply 233October 6, 2020 6:50 AM

I was in high school in 1986 in Chicago and don't remember hearing about her until the movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 234October 6, 2020 7:40 AM

Good list, have a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235October 6, 2020 7:52 AM

Karlie Kloss is ridiculously overhyped.

She might pose and walk well, but that face is barely average. I've seen better-looking women at the mall. And that body: odd and malnourished. She is proof that the fashion industry is an oligarchy. One or two powerful people champion weirdos like her as some sort of exceptional muse, then all the industry sheeple fall in line and agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 6, 2020 8:25 AM

She and Taylor Swift could be sisters. No wonder they like hanging out so much--total narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 237October 6, 2020 11:44 AM

Karlee Kloss has the longest waist, she looks like a cross between Yosemite Sam and a leafless tree.

by Anonymousreply 238October 6, 2020 2:01 PM

Gia was very well known. I’m sick of the rewriting of history on DL. It happens too often.

She was especially big in NYC/NJ/PA. There were Teens who idolized her in NYC.

This wasn’t just a runway model, this was a woman who covered every major magazine numerous times within just 2 years! And not just in the states, all over the world. And this wasn’t like now, this was when millions of people would buy magazines every month. Models were names back then.

by Anonymousreply 239October 6, 2020 3:03 PM

Having a lot of covers and being famous in your home state and a couple of neighbouring states doesn't make a model a supermodel. There are plenty of working models today with many Vogue covers, 100s of 1000s of Instagram followers, large fanbases, walk the top shows and are in big campaigns that the average person has never heard of.

A supermodel is one who has huge fame beyond the high fashion fans who follow all the shows. I wouldn't class Kendall, Gigi, etc. as supermodels though because they were already celebrities before they got into modelling. I'm not a fan of Karlie Kloss, but she's probably the last of the models who became super-famous as a model, rather than a model who was already famous and that's how she got into modelling.

by Anonymousreply 240October 6, 2020 7:09 PM

Cindy just posted on Instagram.

[quote] cindycrawford I’m excited to reunite with my friends to both celebrate and examine the way supermodels transcended the traditional perceptions and limits of modeling in the fashion industry through time. With the support of Imagine Documentaries and Academy Award-winning director Barbara Kopple, we plan to explore the dynamic personalities, and shifts in media and culture that helped shape and define this iconic era. "The Supermodels” coming to @AppleTV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241October 6, 2020 7:11 PM

R240 again, you don’t work for every top photographer and designer, cover Vogue, Cosmo etc numerous times and aren’t a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 242October 6, 2020 7:33 PM

Karlie Kloss is a giant! She's 3 ft taller than tiny Christian Siriano on Project Runway.

by Anonymousreply 243October 6, 2020 7:36 PM

"Gia was very well known. "

In some fashion circles, maybe. But other than that, no. Her death barely made a ripple, no matter how many of you silly things try to make it seem like she was a world-famous superstar model who everyone in the world knew about and that her death was a world shattering event.

by Anonymousreply 244October 6, 2020 8:08 PM

Gia became better known after the biography Thing of Beauty came out in 1993 and much better known after the HBO biopic in 1998. Before that, she was a niche figure at best. When you think of the famous models of the late 70s, you think Cheryl Tiegs, Janice Dickinson, Jerry Hall, Patti Hansen, Beverly Johnson, etc. Gia didn't start showing up on 70s supermodels lists until after the movie came out. She was shunned in the last years of her life by people in the industry. Only Scavullo acknowledged her passing with a mass card sent to her family.

by Anonymousreply 245October 6, 2020 8:50 PM

I can number the claims of “I was the world’s first supermodel” on the fingers one four hands.

by Anonymousreply 246October 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Im excited for the Apple+ show on the Supermodels, makes me nostalgic for the early 90s

by Anonymousreply 247October 6, 2020 9:48 PM

Then there are currently at least 50 working supermodels r242 because what you're describing is standard for a successful model in the industry today.

by Anonymousreply 248October 6, 2020 9:53 PM

Whilst visiting Paris in the early 90s I happened upon a shoot featuring Naomi Campbell and a blonde supermodel-adjacent model whose name I've forgotten (Karen something?) on the street. Both looked positively otherworldly irl, extremely tall and thin to the point that they made me think of praying mantises (mantii?). Not ugly - up close enough to see their faces they were very beautiful - but there was nothing particularly sexy or feminine about either one. Borderline didn't look human.

Many years later saw Giselle Bundchen in person and her skin looked photoshopped it was so perfect. I've never, not once, seen anyone with skin that flawless. It was hard not to stare at her. Also, like the other two, incredibly thin and tall irl.

by Anonymousreply 249October 7, 2020 3:46 AM

R249 Was it Karen Mulder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250October 7, 2020 3:54 AM

Yes R250, that's exactly who it was.

by Anonymousreply 251October 7, 2020 4:01 AM

Karen Mulder was one of the greats that doesn't get enough mention!

"On 10 December 2002, after suffering for years from chronic depression, Mulder went into a coma after she overdosed on sleeping pills in an apparent suicide attempt. She left no note."

WHOA! Never heard about this! She's okay now, thank goodness. She has a daughter and looks like a normal mom type now.

by Anonymousreply 252October 7, 2020 4:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 7, 2020 8:44 AM

Loved Karen Mulder

by Anonymousreply 254October 7, 2020 10:42 AM

There's a documentary from c. 1995 about 90s fashion, 90s models, 90s runway etc. It might be Unzipped, or Catwalk, but I 'm not sure. The director encouraged them to act bitchy and entitled, perhaps to make the doc look edgier, or play up the supermodel stereotype. Linda was the only one who really got it, so there are numerous scenes wheres she's whining and complaining while the other girls are in the background ignoring her.

by Anonymousreply 255October 23, 2020 3:31 AM

THAT SNARKY SMUG LINDA EVANGELISTA !!!!!

SCORNED BY MANY.....

by Anonymousreply 256October 23, 2020 5:21 AM

All of them really!

by Anonymousreply 257October 23, 2020 5:25 AM

None of them are super. Not a single one. They should not be role models for young girls, instilling in so many of them the belief/expectation that getting ahead in the world relies on looks. TBH, it disgusts me that society does that to young girls. Sorry to be harsh, but it is what happens.

by Anonymousreply 258October 23, 2020 5:28 AM

R257 R258 Totally agree

Anyone remember Marie Helvin?

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2020 5:31 AM

R258, being a supermodel - or even just a great model - was never simply about "being beautiful", but also about being smart, independent, a businesswoman. That was why the new generation that was ushered in in the early 1990s were called supermodels, because they represented something more than just modelling.

A great model is not necessarily one who is beautiful but one who can evoke a feeling of beauty, style, dreams, a fantasy. It's about emoting, expression and playing characters.

by Anonymousreply 260October 23, 2020 9:19 AM

Such bullshit.

They didn't call her Linda EVILangelista for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 261October 23, 2020 9:24 AM

R260 - Sorry, but no. How could they 'evoke' anything without speaking or writing? Modeling is all about that exterior wrapping. So you think young girls should grow-up to be so-called 'confident' women with great hair who can pose the hell out of an IG posting, but who don't speak or write? If so, we're gonna end up with an army of 'super-model' women like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262October 23, 2020 1:56 PM

You're proving my point r262. Miss South Carolina is "pretty" but she's not a model, let alone a supermodel. A great model is not simply a good-looking woman dressed up in clothes and photographed. Great models evoke fantasy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263October 23, 2020 5:14 PM

Let's get real. They're ALL completely overhyped and overrated. When it comes to making the world a better place, supermodels are about as useful as tits on a bull.

by Anonymousreply 264October 23, 2020 5:17 PM

Thanks, R263. You're proving the point. Are we to believe that behind those faces in the link you provided there are high level machinations going on that will solve the world's problems? Come on, let's get serious, really.

by Anonymousreply 265October 23, 2020 5:36 PM

Sometimes a good photo or video makes you think a model is prettier than she really is. Emily DiDonato is a good example. I found her insanely beautiful in the Armani ad, but I've seen other pictures and videos of her and, while she is pretty she's not that gorgeous.

But in this video...wow (and great music too)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266October 24, 2020 5:22 AM

r168 That has to be the cheesiest most godawful thing I've ever watched.

by Anonymousreply 267October 24, 2020 8:50 AM

Yet another thread that makes me miss the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 268October 24, 2020 8:50 AM

r207 Unfortunately she's built like Spongebob Squarepants.

by Anonymousreply 269October 24, 2020 9:02 AM

[R14] If you don’t find Linda Evengalista beautiful, you’re not gay. She is a goddess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270October 24, 2020 10:20 AM

R265, it's not the job of models to engineer high-level machinations to solve the world's problems. Their main job is to sell clothes, primarily high fashion in the case of supermodels and the top models. Fashion campaigns, shows, editorials, etc. aim not to solve the world's problems but to create images of fantasy and beauty, style, cool, chic. That does actually make the world a better place in that they create moments of beauty and pleasure, culture, things people can enjoy and in that respect make their lives happier.

Fashion does also reflect the society of its time, so in that way it's part of the general conversation, and it can also act as a vehicle for social messages. But the point of fashion is not to end poverty or dismantle racist structures, so if that's what you're demanding of it, it's not fashion that's failing but you.

by Anonymousreply 271October 24, 2020 1:06 PM

Mit das Untier zu leben ist nichts einfach.

Es ist traurig, dass sie nicht hübsch ist und keine Ausstrahlung hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272October 24, 2020 1:34 PM

I like Heidi in spite of.... Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 273October 24, 2020 8:21 PM

Every child of celebrity parents

by Anonymousreply 274October 24, 2020 10:08 PM

While not a model, Timothee Chalamet is completely overhyped and overrated looks wise.

by Anonymousreply 275October 24, 2020 10:09 PM

When I lived in New York I had a friend who was plugged into the 80s-90s party scene, out every night, always said Evangelista was the most beautiful famous person in real life that she’d ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 276October 24, 2020 10:23 PM

Evangelista has one of those faces that are more interesting than beautiful. Her downward pointy hook nose kinda stops her from being really beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 277October 24, 2020 11:36 PM

Tyra "Fat-Ass, No-Waist, Dumb & Clumsy" Banks

by Anonymousreply 278October 24, 2020 11:39 PM

[quote]Her downward pointy hook nose kinda stops her from being really beautiful.

Actually, it stops her from being generic.

by Anonymousreply 279October 24, 2020 11:56 PM

Time's a bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280October 25, 2020 12:52 AM

What is the movie about 90's Supermodels called? I've heard there is one coming out soon.

by Anonymousreply 281October 25, 2020 2:06 PM

You can tell Evangelista is/was a heavy smoker. It always shows in the skin.

by Anonymousreply 282October 25, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote] "As a great model once said: 'don't hate me, because I'm beautiful.'" "I don't hate you because you're beautiful; I hate you because you QUOTE GREAT MODELS!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283October 25, 2020 10:44 PM

Emily DiDonato has a youtube channel and one of the videos is "what I eat in a day as a model". Her breakfast is oatmeal milk with coffe, lunch is one of those protein supplement shakes, and dinner is wild salmon with broccoli.

No wonder these women are miserable.

by Anonymousreply 284October 26, 2020 5:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!