Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Spitting Image’ defends depiction of Greta Thunberg after social media backlash

"If the show isn't stirring controversy, it's probably not doing what it set out to do"

Spitting Image have defended their depiction of Greta Thunberg following criticism on social media.

The satirical comedy show confirmed 17-year-old climate activist Thunberg would be making an appearance on the show in puppet form, where she’s set to be portrayed as a weather presenter.

Reemah Sakaan, group director of SVoD at ITV, said in a statement: “It’s a very straightforward joke and is nothing to do with her as an individual.”

She added: “If the show isn’t stirring controversy, it’s probably not doing what it set out to do, or being true to its origins.”

A number of viewers took to Twitter to explain why the depiction of Thunberg felt wrong.

“The fact Spitting Image have decided it’s acceptable to mock a 17-year old with autism is disgusting in itself,” Evolve Politics said. “But Greta Thunberg isn’t even rich or powerful – she doesn’t need ‘holding to account’.

Another user satirically wrote: “Ha, me and the old boys down at the working men’s club are glad Spitting Image are going after Greta Thunberg, a 17 year old who…wants a nicer world…”

Liam O’Dell added: “You would think #SpittingImage would have learned from the last time someone used a puppet to portray an autistic individual (see: @allinarowplay) that to do so is offensive and risks spreading further harmful stereotypes. Punch up, Spitting Image, not down.”

Another user agreed, writing: “Not sure going after Greta Thunberg is a wise move from the spitting image lot. Not because she’s autistic but because she’s a kid. Do better.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 10, 2020 9:19 AM

I didn't know she was autistic and the fact that she is makes me embarrassed that we as a people have been letting someone who rides the short bus speak at UN conferences, but I agree that this is out of line. Mocking a child for their looks is something we condemn when CHILDREN do it to each other in the schoolyard. How the hell are we supposed to react when an adult does it to a child? The way they made the puppet look is just cruel.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 2:19 PM

Tesla was autistic and Einstein likely was as well. You R1 are a complete moron however.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 2:25 PM

Looks just like her.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 2:30 PM

R3 Yep. I think it also captures her pint size anger..

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 2:39 PM

R1 hasn't been to the Chad Allen thread.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 2:43 PM

It’s looks like her - what’s the problem? She out herself out there, which means she’ll be mocked as well as adored. That is what being famous is about. Don’t like it, don’t chase fame.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 2:49 PM

The Climate Goblin

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 2:50 PM

Interesting quote, although it should be confirmed to be true before people believe it:

“Greta Thunberg has liked her own Spitting Image puppet, so I think that’s the argument settled. Night,” wrote David Chipakupaku.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 2:50 PM

The whole point of Spitting Image is that the puppets are caricatures. If you want photo realism you are going to be disappointed. They are not mocking an ethnicity, a disability etc, so what is people's problem? They have portrayed UK Home Secretary Priti Patel as a literal vampire (which tracks - she is clearly a soulless monster) so I don't think Greta has really been hard done by.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 2:56 PM

She has become, willingly, a major public figure, so there really can't be complaints. Plus, the idea of her as a weather forecaster is great!

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 4:06 PM

Greta Thunberg's supporters pulled a really cynical trick in putting someone autistic under 18 in the front line of fire for climate control. Basically they did this so she wouldn't be criticized. They knew full well what they were doing by making her the face of the movement.

Were I "Spitting Image," I would have held off until she turned 18. But the second as she turns 18, i think people can mock her as much as they like.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote]nothing to do with her as an individual.

They made a whole damn puppet of her, of COURSE it's about her as an individual.

With everything going on in the world, I don't know why some people feel the need to attack someone who is at least trying to change things for the better. Why does anyone need to satirize a teenager trying to get corporations to stop literally ruining the planet? How does that hurt ANYONE'S feelings to the point that they have to attack her for it?

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 4:36 PM

[quote]makes me embarrassed that we as a people have been letting someone who rides the short bus speak at UN conferences

You're disgusting.

If you were a frau you'd be camped out at your kid's principal's office 24/7 demanding they take those RE-tards outta yer kid's classroom because it's upsetting and they don't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 4:38 PM

It's 2020. There are no sacred cows anymore. Children? Let 'er rip, they deserve all they get!

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]Greta Thunberg's supporters pulled a really cynical trick in putting someone autistic under 18 in the front line of fire for climate control. Basically they did this so she wouldn't be criticized.

Well, except for the whole thing where thousands of people on social media keep calling her slurs and say she's too retarded to be allowed out in public, and people write "concerned" op-eds about how she's a 'tard and is being taken advantage of, and officials "worrying" that she can't handle the pressure and icing her out of conferences and meetings, sure, that's a great observation.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 4:41 PM

Spitting Image quite rightly satirises everyone. It was pretty much the first show to go after the sacred cow that was the royal family. I don't see why a 17 (18 on 3rd of January) figure in the public eye should be excepted.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 4:44 PM

R3, nothing like her. More warmth.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 4:46 PM

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 4:46 PM

She's not a powerful monarch, R16, she's just a teenaged spokesperson for climate change. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 4:48 PM

r19 I seem to remember they put baby prince Harry in a Nazi helmet. Which was weirdly prophetic. But in either case there where climate change speakers before her and there'll be ones after her. She's not allowed lese majeste laws anymore than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Can't wait for their show about Allah!

Oh, wait. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]It's 2020. There are no sacred cows anymore. Children? Let 'er rip, they deserve all they get!

Don't callgen megun a cowstun. Co2 fektorries! HOW DARE YOU??!

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 5:00 PM

It's satire. She's not singled out. That's the Spitting Image look. So snowflake. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 5:01 PM

Won't someone think of the scowling, surly children?

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 5:03 PM

Some of these caricatures I find funny, others not so much. They make Zuckerberg over with features he doesn't have, like a huge stereotypically "Jewish" nose. I've seen others Jews portrayed similiarly, and I think they're pandering to bigots with these. It's one thing to exaggerate a feature there in reality, but another thing altogether when centuries old racist imagery is employed.

I find it equally in poor taste for them to have made a caricature of Greta as well.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 5:06 PM

Funny - she’s seen as an idiot-savant and that not in a bad way when she hectors people about the environment: this brilliant child has been sent to lead us out our complacency on climate change with her Jeramiads that, by their nature and her personality seem to turn off as many people as they persuade.

It’d seem some people can’t accept any other narrative for this woman’s life. God forbid her character on the show might be source of some humor that could change her image for the better.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 5:06 PM

I think I understood the second sentence.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 5:08 PM

I don't think she's supposed to be making decisions, I think she's just there to have pictures taken of her. It's about having a child be the face of your political movement so that the "think of the children!" bullshit is always fresh in people's minds.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 5:08 PM

Chill, unless she is portrayed as having exaggerated autistic traits (which I don't think is happening) then I don't really see the problem - the puppet doesn't even look unpleasant to me.

Greta should be applauded for cutting through and getting far more attention to the issue of climate change than any number of politicians, academics and businesspeople three times her age.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 5:13 PM

[quote]I seem to remember they put baby prince Harry in a Nazi helmet

They did have puppets of the kids but I can't find anything about a Prince Harry baby, only a brief shot of a Prince William baby, and NOTHING about a Nazi helmet. Are you sure this happened?

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 5:15 PM

This is very gretafying.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2020 5:18 PM

They make fun of Trump and Boris and nobody bats an eye. But make fun of a curiously well-connected teenage activist and suddenly you become the deplorable of deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 5:18 PM

Tracey Ullman was campaigning for Spitting Image to return for the last 5 years. Now her writers are behind it. She was just talking about how obsessed she is with Greta and how she wants to play Greta’s grandmother with a gray braid and being the exact of opposite of her. lol

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 5:21 PM

[italiac] Some of these caricatures I find funny, others not so much. They make Zuckerberg over with features he doesn't have, like a huge stereotypically "Jewish" nose. I've seen others Jews portrayed similiarly, and I think they're pandering to bigots with these. It's one thing to exaggerate a feature there in reality, but another thing altogether when centuries old racist imagery is employed.

I find it equally in poor taste for them to have made a caricature of Greta as well.

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote] Some of these caricatures I find funny, others not so much. They make Zuckerberg over with features he doesn't have, like a huge stereotypically "Jewish" nose. I've seen others Jews portrayed similiarly, and I think they're pandering to bigots with these. It's one thing to exaggerate a feature there in reality, but another thing altogether when centuries old racist imagery is employed.

So basically they should refrain from making a puppet look like a person and not make fun of public figures. Okay.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2020 5:23 PM

Actually it is over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2020 5:24 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote]They make fun of Trump and Boris and nobody bats an eye. But make fun of a curiously well-connected teenage activist and suddenly you become the deplorable of deplorables?

If you're whining about poor dears Trump and Boris being made fun of while spouting a conspiracy theory about Greta Thunberg, you are indeed a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 5:30 PM

I think they went easy on her.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 5:36 PM

R34 You don't sound very brilliant calling someone an idiot for finding something "not funny". You sound as if you have a mental problem. Over react just a bit? Does it make you feel alive to be hystrionic?

R35 This is an old racist trope portraying Jews with such noses. Zuckerberg has a very average, proportionately sized nose. You have a Jew problem I suspect. Artfully try to spin my words some more, yet you fail. I didn't say it's wrong to make fun of public figures; I even said some I do find funny. What I don't appreciate is when people use caricatures or cartoons to promote stereotypes, and bigotry.

A caricature is meant to exaggerate the already existing odd features. For Zuck fair game would include the dark dead or "shark" eyes, the fivehead with the Ceasar fringe, etc. He doesn't have a stereotypical large Jewish nose, so it's a cheap shot. It's no different to the portrayal of all Blacks with hige lips. There are other Jewish people I see portrayed in the exact same manner.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2020 5:38 PM

^ huge lips

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 5:40 PM

R38: Seriously, what is the conspiracy theory here about Greta? No one is claiming she was redicted in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Some people just don't like her. Is that what you disagree with?

I'm wondering, because I see mention of anti-Semitic tropes and don't see them applied to her. Marionettes and puppets, by their nature, have exaggerated features. Nothing discriminatory about it.

Or is this just 2020 and any time we see something we disagree with, we blame it on a conspiracy?

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 5:46 PM

R34/R35 Apparently I'm not the sole voice with such an opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 5:49 PM

And MORE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2020 5:52 PM

Cariactures of Kushner typically feature a giant hooked nose as well, despite Jared's straight small nose. None of this is coincidence as some of you blind an insensitive posters maintain.

And how dare any of you branding me an idiot for speaking out about them. I have to like these as a Jew, else I'm an idiot? More cunts to put on cunt control. Keep crawling out the woodwork, you little worms!

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2020 5:55 PM

I agree, r40.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2020 6:08 PM

British people are antisemitic, what a shocker. Next you'll tell me that Middle Easterners are homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2020 6:11 PM

R42 (not R38 here BTW) The Greta gripes have nothing to do with Anti-Jewish propaganda or caricatures... I believe it is the feeling it's simply in poor taste to make sport of a young girl's looks;she looks awkward enough in real life, and has an eye which doesn't quite track properly all of the time. It may be an especially sore or off limit choice since she is on the spectrum as well. She seems to share a bit of a similar look with children who have Downs Syndrome. I simply don't find it funny.

Even girls this age of average or slightly above average looks are often terribly insecure about their appearance, and I think it's a wise and sensitive choice to stear away from any inclinations to make caricatures of them.

Cheers R46. As a small-nosed Jew myself, I cannot even count how many people have either asked me when I had a nose job, or who "did" my nose, or else others accuse me of lying about having had a Rhinoplasty. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2020 6:14 PM

[quote] They have portrayed UK Home Secretary Priti Patel as a literal vampire (which tracks - she is clearly a soulless monster)

Not forgetting David Steel as a Tom Thumb living in David Owen’s pocket, John Major as a grey-skinned mutant, and Kenneth Baker as a giant oozing slug wearing spectacles.

This show was chuffing great. Hope the new one is doing the legacy justice.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2020 6:27 PM

For those unfamiliar with this nearly nine hundred year-old trope, a brief primer below. Please educate yourselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2020 6:31 PM

This thread brought this song into my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2020 6:46 PM

Greta isn’t Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2020 6:59 PM

Well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2020 7:02 PM

The nose is a bit over the top. Britain has always had an antisemetism problem. That being said, I don’t know what their intent was behind the puppet. I just hope the show is actually good.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2020 7:05 PM

R52 Please refer to R48 in my response to R42. No one is claiming Greta is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2020 7:06 PM

Wow, put R34 on "Cunt Control" and watch what happens to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2020 7:09 PM

R34 types like Syvlia Fowler going incognito. It's the kind of thing that mouth breather would get wired up about.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2020 7:09 PM

Aren’t Greta and Mark both on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]Seriously, what is the conspiracy theory here about Greta? No one is claiming she was redicted in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Some people just don't like her. Is that what you disagree with?

The guy I quoted as saying she was "curiously well connected" is referring to QAnon rumors about her being a plant for the Deep State. Q mentions her in "drops" sometimes.

You could have just looked it up instead of writing three paragraphs of bullshit based on a stupid assumption you made.

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2020 7:34 PM

You can't say on the one hand "Who cares if she's a kid? We should all listen to and learn from her because she is wise beyond her years" and on the other "How dare you satirize her?? She's just a kid!!"

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2020 7:37 PM

She speaks at the UN. Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2020 7:53 PM

R60 I think there's a real difference in saying one doesn't find it funny, and it's in poor taste, and one saying Fluck & Co. shouldn't be doing it, or are open to boycotting etc. People can say whatever they like. Sometimes feelings no matter how they're explained sound illogical.

The thing is, it always surprises me how many are ready to shut others up who voice anything negative about such controversial humour. Yes, they have the freedom to create these, but why should they be immune from criticism? Not everyone shares the same sense of humour. Some people are naturally more sensitive toward seventeen year-old girls. (especially someone such as Greta) I've been called an idiot here simply because I don't particularly care for this one, or Zuckerberg, though I've mentioned I enjoy some others. Still not good enough for some.

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2020 8:44 PM

She’s in the public eye. What’s the problem?

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2020 9:42 PM

R54 Spitting Image is fuckng brilliant. It could never happen in America. It’s a British thing. Uniquely so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2020 9:45 PM

When are we going to demand Datalounge be shut down for making fun of Saint Greta? lmao.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote][R54] Spitting Image is fuckng brilliant. It could never happen in America. It’s a British thing. Uniquely so.

It was already done in America and HBO had already put the show into development three years ago. This incarnation is going on Britbox. Britain is not the Britain of the 80s and 90s. It's incredibly politically correct (even more so than the US) and nothing must offend. There's a reason they won't be putting this on regular television in the UK. They couldn't.

Trust me, every fucking thing in this series will be broken down and made into "that was racist", "this rubbish shouldn't be on television", "I'm calling Ofcom", etc.

And BTW, Americans are also doing the voices for this: Debra Wilson (MadTV), Bill West, John DiMaggio, Phil LaMarr.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tracey Ullman pop up.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2020 9:50 PM

R34 Is also one of the notoriously deranged "Both Sides Trolls". Seems she can't quite keep just the one alter posting per thread... DL has proven Multiple Personality Disorder indeed does exist! Sick.

by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2020 9:34 AM

R66 Right. Ahem... Whyever would you be surprised if Ullman showed up when you tolld us about her in R33? You can't remember what your alters typed upthread now? Toss off troll.

by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2020 9:40 AM

Both Sides Troll posts an acquiescence of sorts in R36, and R54, possibly just for W/Ws, and then goes on to post R53. You have absolutely no right to question whether anyone is on the bloody spectrum with your posting and trolling history.

Muriel, can we please get a red tag here for this relentless troll?

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2020 9:57 AM

Preview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2020 10:06 AM

OP, I didn't need to know about some asshole villainising a girl.

Go fuck yourself. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 71October 1, 2020 10:13 AM

R63 You're either really thick, or else you enjoy flogging a dead horse. It's been said already, some people find it to be in poor taste, as she's merely a seventeen year-old girl, and an autistic. I'm glad to learn she actually likes her puppet, and the character according to social media. It makes me feel much better about it.

For a forum which skews left, I simply don't get all the hate for little Greta. She's amazingly brave and precocious for a girl her age, let alone one with autism. The planet needs allies like Greta.

Why is it necessarily a problem if people don't find it funny? I hope perhaps I've clarified matters for you by bloody repeating myself.

by Anonymousreply 72October 1, 2020 10:27 PM

Jesus, the foul stench of Frau is strong in this thread.

This is a forum where we regularly make fun of the circumstances surrounding a 6-year-old girl's murder ffs

by Anonymousreply 73October 1, 2020 10:44 PM

R72 Wrap your head in a wet cut towel you thick cunt. I’ll flog you if I get my hands on you.

by Anonymousreply 74October 1, 2020 11:11 PM

R74 Well that's not entirely psycho at all, now is it? This new reboot isn't even worth you soiling your diapers over, it's simply not as funny as the old ones. Now get yourself together, and regain your composure. Have a Martini and a Valium, they never fail.

by Anonymousreply 75October 1, 2020 11:43 PM

Puppet needs more stinkface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2020 12:18 AM

I'd rather a Zuckerberg nose to a J-LO no-nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2020 3:39 AM

A curse on both your houses, r72 and r74. "Ignore" for you both.

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2020 3:59 AM

"How will Spitting Image fare in the divided, febrile world of 2020?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2020 7:24 AM

Even Ronnie and Nancy weren't safe back then

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2020 8:02 AM

Here is the full episode, Greta gets off lightly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 4, 2020 10:17 PM

who is that ghastly creature on the right?

by Anonymousreply 82October 4, 2020 10:26 PM

Dominic Cummings, they tear him apart.

by Anonymousreply 83October 4, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote] But Greta Thunberg isn’t even rich or powerful – she doesn’t need ‘holding to account’.

Holy shit, are these morons for real? She was Time's Person of the Year, ffs!

You can't build someone up as a hugely important political figurehead, and then go "She's so young and autistic, uwu" when she becomes a target of satire like any political figure.

by Anonymousreply 84October 5, 2020 12:55 AM

Britbox is struggling for viewers and she's doing shit like this? Picking on a kid?

by Anonymousreply 85October 5, 2020 1:11 AM

R85 She had one line, Graters' parents are happy to whore the simpleton out. She is fair game.

by Anonymousreply 86October 5, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote] Britbox is struggling for viewers

It’s not a network, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 87October 5, 2020 2:55 AM

Could've been worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 5, 2020 3:02 AM

The face is right, but more appropriate clothing would be a straitjacket.

by Anonymousreply 89October 5, 2020 3:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 10, 2020 8:30 AM

Celebrities can't be snowflakes. Their career and income depend on keeping US happy.

by Anonymousreply 91October 10, 2020 8:35 AM

It's reasonable to have her as a puppet. She is after all her parents' ventriloquist dummy.

by Anonymousreply 92October 10, 2020 9:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!