Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG! If this wasn't MADE FOR DL - Helen Reddy's 1970s house!!

I couldn't believe it either!

[quote]Helen Reddy’s house: Look inside her beautiful California home back in the ’70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2020 8:47 PM

This room is BIZARRE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 6:52 AM

All those ferns everywhere!

I even bought some for my room at boarding school. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 6:54 AM

Way to go, Helen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 6:57 AM

Actually it considering the decade and that it's the home of a pop star, it could have been a lot worse.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 6:59 AM

It's very cluttered.

Someone needed to tell her "less is more".

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 7:02 AM

The photography is very 70s Playgirl in style. I expect the next photo to be of him naked. Pubes and body hair and all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 7:04 AM

I have to admit that, apart from the carpeting and some of the wallpaper, I love it. Especially the master bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 10:19 AM

Kids today won’t know the importance of ferns to the 1970s. I mean, fern bars were a thing.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 10:29 AM

Thank you Miss OP. Simply Fab and Fascinating. In San Francisco, the 70s went way overboard with ferns too. Haight Street apartments were like jungles.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 10:55 AM

[quote]OMG! If this wasn't MADE FOR DL - Helen Reddy's 1970s house!!

Sort of. Not quite kitsch enough to really get the wheels turning...and the gurls laughin'.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 11:12 AM

Her ceilings are all so dark and busy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 11:16 AM

Other than some dated patterns in the upholstery, wallpaper and maybe tiles, it is an attractive home. The decor is French inspired. It is a look that was common at that time.

Too many house plants. I wonder if they were brought in for the photo shoot.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 1:17 PM

I really like he kitchen. Just need to toss out the ferns and macrame.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 1:30 PM

Agree with other posters. It needs to be de-70s-fied, but it's not terrible. It has a certain cottage-y charm. Not my style, but one would not have to take it down to the studs to bring out the better things about it.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 1:32 PM

Thanks OP, it made me roar. .Its just too 70's to ignore

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 1:38 PM

I noticed in the kitchen she had a KitchenAid dishwasher. Helen was a very practical housewife that brought superior appliances! I

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 2:01 PM

I wouldn't blame this ugliness on the French. Just some Aussie's trashy version of what was popular then.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 2:43 PM

I love everything, especially the dining room. Gosh, it's so nice to see COLORS again. Remember when there used to be more colors than gray, sandstone, and eggshell white? Good times.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 2:50 PM

The style holds up. It is some of the patterns and colors that are dated. The French style is still attractive. I agree on the macrame and most of the ferns. They would have to go.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 3:04 PM

Where in Los Angeles did she live? In the article, her husband says something about smelling jasmine and the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 3:11 PM

Whatever happened to hanging ferns?

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 3:13 PM

NO way did they live with that many ferns on a day-to-day basis. Watering them would be a full-time job.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 3:13 PM

After their divorce Jeff Wald said that Helen had the filthiest mouth of any human he'd ever come into contact with.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 3:17 PM

I don't like most of the individual things in it - and yet, as a whole, it sort of comes together. It feels inviting, somehow. Like if you were invited over there for a 70s brunch party, you'd have a good time. There would be devilled eggs, a bowl of punch, and you'd meet someone cute and get their phone number.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 3:19 PM

I can smell the pot.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Looks like the interior of a typical upper middle class LA home in the 70s. Of course it seems tacky and dated to us now. The furniture screams "Broyhill" to me, that was the brand they always gave away on the Price is Right.

It looks homey though, like kids could live comfortably in it. The big celeb houses you see today are so perfectly arranged and decorated you cant imagine anyone, never mind children, playing or horsing around.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 3:32 PM

Broyhill was the Wayfair of its day.

Looked kinda okay, fell apart in the blink of an eye.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 3:35 PM

I used to love looking at celebrity house tours like this in my mother's womens magazines when I was a kid. I distinctly remember seeing Mary Taylor Moore and Valerie Harper's houses in Ladies Home Journal or Better Homes or one of those. I know Architectural Digest has always done them, but these articles weren't as pretentious as that.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 3:57 PM

Love this!

I clicked on James Coburn's house too--interiors by TONY DUQUETTE. I was impressed....I always thought there was more to James Coburn than met the eye.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 4:10 PM

Coburn knew that good interior design is a guaranteed panty peeler.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 4:19 PM

Everything looks so weirdly clean and pristine in spite of the clutter. Like no one lives there. Look at the kids' room, there are no kid's toys. Why isn't there a yellow phone on the wall in the kitchen and one of those wipey message boards on the wall with numbers scribbled down? Where are the phones anywhere? ( I always used to see what phones people had in those days. It revealed a lot about a person. Not always good.)

Something's not right here. There are questions that may never be answered.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2020 4:21 PM

This must be the Brentwood house they paid cash for. Later on, Helen found out Jeff had taken out 3 mortgages on it to help feed his coke habit.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 4:27 PM

I love R24's imagination. I could sit and listen to him making up stories all day long. In fact, I want to know what happened after he got the cute guy's phone number. Did he call? Was there hot 70s sex?

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 4:32 PM

It was very in style at the time. Ferns and macramé were the way to go in the Carter presidency. Other movie stars and recording stars at the time also favored this look--Mary Tyler Moore's house at the time was also exactly like this indoors.

I love that one of the dominant colors in the decorating is bright green. That was so Seventies!

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]I love that one of the dominant colors in the decorating is bright green. That was so Seventies!

I have a lime green stripy wallpaper in my bathroom right now as I type the message. I must have got the idea in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2020 4:40 PM

We even had FERNwood Tonight.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2020 5:24 PM

I love the bright/lime green! That's a color that should really make a comeback in decorating.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 5:47 PM

I've suddenly realized something. Our house in London was photographed in House & Garden back in 1976. My mother had a lime green bathroom and I think with a fern hanging. I have the magazine. I might scan it and post it on DL. That could be funny...or painful.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 5:55 PM

r38=Edina Monsoon

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 6:29 PM

I don't think Edina's mother's house was in H&G somehow.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2020 6:35 PM

It looks perfect because it has been sanitized for the photo shoot. That, and I'm sure HR had domestic help to keep the place spotless. Many of those plants look like they were just brought in for the photos.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 7:03 PM

Such an appallingly unremarkable, mediocre frau.

Her success in the '70s was as baffling as Bonnie Franklin's.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2020 2:01 PM

That house was on Marlboro Way in Brentwood. The house was totally razed in the early 00s and a new McMansion replaced it.

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2020 6:17 PM

The house wasn't razed r43, it's still there. Tudor revival built in 1936 on nearly an acre in the middle of Brentwood Park. You can see part of it from street view in Google, the exterior much the same as when Reddy and Wald lived there.

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2020 8:10 PM

WOW! An acre! I'm often surprised by how large the land belonging to houses in LA. Fantastic. They should have photographed the garden.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2020 8:33 PM

[quote]The house wasn't razed [R43], it's still there. Tudor revival built in 1936 on nearly an acre in the middle of Brentwood Park. You can see part of it from street view in Google,

Link, plz.

by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2020 8:34 PM

View it on Google or other maps, 12850 Marlboro Street. Gorgeous corner lot, one of the larger parcels in Brentwood Park.

Property details on the real estate sites state its the original house from 1936.

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2020 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!