Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Westerns stop being made?

Westerns were a staple of American pop culture for decades, and then in the late 60s/early 70s they suddenly went out of fashion and were no longer made? What happened to make such a popular form of entertainment disappear so fast?

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2020 11:36 PM

My first sentence should've ended with a period and not a question mark. Sorry. We need an edit function on here.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 4:00 AM

They haven't stopped being made. They're just not as frequently made. Some modern Westerns have been quite successful.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 4:01 AM

Cause they're boring

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 4:02 AM

R3 wins. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 4:02 AM

I’m not sure. I enjoyed the different sort of westerns that came out in the 90s. Is that an actual genre? Dead Man, Silent To fur and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues are all good.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 4:04 AM

They got worn out. They became stale and cliched and had been since the 50's at least. What good ones there were succeeded by going against the formula, like Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns. When you have a hit film parodying a genre, like Mel Brooks did with "Blazing Saddles", its over.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 4:05 AM

Not as many actors and actresses can pull of such performances.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 4:07 AM

We just recently had this exact thread. Why are threads getting remade? This is the second one I've seen today.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 4:07 AM

pull off

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 4:07 AM

Current Hollywood moviemakers don't like men who are masculine and self-reliant.

They prefers comic movies and sissies.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 4:11 AM

Because Trigger died, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote]We just recently had this exact thread. Why are threads getting remade? This is the second one I've seen today.

I searched both on this site and Google and couldn't find anything.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 4:13 AM

I enjoyed "Hostiles" a couple years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 4:37 AM

Because John Wayne died. The last big iconic Western film star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 5:06 AM

R12 Maybe we didn't. I could have sworn we did and somebody said The Mandalorian was an example of a modern western.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 5:08 AM

John Wayne died years after Westerns stopped being popular.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 5:13 AM

R14 He finally won the Oscar for True Grit, actually a very good movie including his bravo performance. He died in 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 5:13 AM

It seems like cop shows and especially medical dramas replaced Westerns on tv.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 5:16 AM

90s:

The Quick and the Dead Silent Tongue Legends of the Fall Dead Man Lone Star The Wild Wild West El Mariachi Desperado From Dusk Till Dawn Unforgiven County Brisco Jr. The Young Riders

2000s:

3:10 to Yuma No Country For Old Men Once Upon a Time in Mexico Deadwood The Assassination of Jesse James Brokeback Mountain

2010s

Django Unchained True Grit Justified Jonah Hex Rango Free State of Jones Dead Man's Burden

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 5:32 AM

90s:

The Quick and the Dead, Silent Tongue, Legends of the Fall, Dead Man, Lone Star, The Wild Wild West, El Mariachi, Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, Unforgiven, County Brisco Jr. , The Young Riders

2000s:

3:10 to Yuma, No Country For Old Men, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Deadwood, The Assassination of Jesse James, Brokeback Mountain

2010s

Django Unchained, True Grit, Justified, Jonah Hex, Rango, Free State of Jones, Dead Man's Burden, Cowboys & Aliens

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 5:35 AM

I think they petered out because they were associated with crewcut flag waving 40s-50s Conservative America, and the 60s really changed that dynamic. They seem cliched and naive after so many people turned on and tuned in and dropped out.

Also as late as the 50s there was still a faint echo of the west in the country — there were still places where people rode horses instead of cars, and there were old men still alive who remembered 1900 — but by the early 70s that shit was as dead as fried chicken.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 5:42 AM

HBO's "Westworld" is sort of a western that has found modern popularity -- but its all modern sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 5:45 AM

Good point r21. For the first half of the 20th century the Old West was still within living memory, and there were echoes of it that survived. Then time moved on and lots of development happened and that time period became 100% historical. That's something that didn't occur to me.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 5:45 AM

My father cane back from WWII and didn’t have a job so he went out west and worked on a ranch for about two years. Imagine that happening now.

In a way it’s actually a bit sad tbh.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 5:48 AM

Even Girl Cows Get the Bulls.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 6:07 AM

I think of the excellent movie Hell or High Water as a modern western.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 7:50 AM

Me too, r26. Also, movies like the original Star Wars trilogy were thought be considered new wave or space westerns. Westerns as a concept are still a popular genre, they have just been reimagined/modernized.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 8:03 AM

If it's not a Western from the 1960s-1970s, by an Italian director, filmed in Spain, I'm not interested. Those are the only ones I find interesting.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 8:40 AM

Westers largely became passe when the big studios decided the only way forward was focusing on tentpole pictures. Preferably with action heroes. And the teen audience they were chasing isn't interested in cowboys, unless they are center stage on some videogame. Teens want movies about Marvel heroes, robots, blood-thirsty killers and zombies. The romance of the Old West holds no appeal for them.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 9:14 AM

You’re sort of begging the question there, r29. “Westerns aren’t popular because they aren’t popular.” Oh.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 1:25 PM

Westerns are the most resilient genre, in terms of still getting funded and made despite constant box office disappointment. This is an argument that's been made in detail by people pointing out how bullshit it is that movies featuring gay themes are treated like these huge risks, the failure of one is used as an excuse to not touch any other project, etc. And yes, the funding resilience of the Western is no doubt due to its association with a particular ideal of white masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2020 2:42 PM

Westerns don't even need to be centered around white men though. At least over half of cowboys in actual Old West were Mexican, Native American and black. Cowboy was anyone who worked on a ranch and rounded up cattle. Hollywood just chose to fixate on the rugged white individualist narrative and kept casting Clint Eastwood and John Wayne in movies. I'm black and think it's really cool that so many cowboys were black and that culture still exists today in California, Oklahoma and Texas. Out in the Mountain West, many ranches are operated by Native Americans and in Southern Texas and Northern Mexico by Tejanos. Robert Rodriguez made his Mexico trilogy as well as From Dusk Till Dawn and Machete which were Spaghetti Westerns told from a Tejano perspective. Legends of the Fall was cool in that it showed Brad Pitt's character being practically raised by a Native American ranch hand. Django was a black Western revenge tale.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 2:51 PM

As much as I despise Clint Eastwood as a person, I did love his westerns. Honestly, after he stopped making them in the early 70’s, westerns were no longer good.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 2:57 PM

Films like Collateral (with Tom Cruise, the Michael Mann film) are basically urban westerns. Heat, also by Michael Mann - same thing.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 9:11 PM

What's a western? A cowboy? Never heard of either.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2020 9:25 PM

Hateful 8.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2020 9:37 PM

Is r35 going to pretend that they don't know who Han Solo is?

Because that character is as much of a cowboy archetype as John Wayne ever was.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]Current Hollywood moviemakers don't like men who are masculine and self-reliant. They prefers comic movies and sissies.

Dum dum r10 is not intelligent to know that Hollywood moviemakers don't make movie s for themselves. TheY them moviesto MAKE MONEY!

So they give the audience what sells and what audiences WANT.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]Because John Wayne died. The last big iconic Western film star.

Excuse me?

[quote]As much as I despise Clint Eastwood as a person, I did love his westerns. Honestly, after he stopped making them in the early 70’s, westerns were no longer good.

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 10:13 PM

Yes, R38, current Hollywood moviemakers know that current audiences don't like men who are masculine and self-reliant.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2020 10:32 PM

This handsome man is living out his own Western.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 10:41 PM

If it has horses, it's a western.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 11:00 PM

If the story is good, the film will be made.

Westerns aren’t out of date or bygone. We’ll watch a western and make it a huge hit if the story is a good one and told well.

My loved that one Jesse James film Pitt did. He was actually really good in it and I enjoyed that POV for a story we all though we knew, yet didn’t.

Loved Django, and am huge fan of Eastwood’s westerns, too.

Americans love their westerns, and I say that as a chick.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2020 10:21 PM

It was probably due to the White Supremacy premise of Westerns.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2020 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!