Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: What is behind the pink doors in South Carolina?

Even more pink. And a lot of green.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2020 2:50 AM

Miss Lindsey's boudoir?

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2020 4:02 PM

It's a gorgeous house. Obviously all that pink and the various shades of ugly green need to be fixed.

The green does work nicely in the master bedroom though. The floors look really rough to me.

Are these boobs? (top of pic)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2020 4:10 PM

Charleston is the pastel city. In terms of color it is more of a Caribbean city than an American one. Many of the earliest settlers in Charleston came from the then colony of Barbados.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2020 4:14 PM

Not nuts about the tile work but I could live there.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2020 4:15 PM

The only thing I love here is the stove. That is a seriously great stove. If the new owner would put the wall back that separates the kitchen from the rest of the place, the entire kitchen would be on its way to being quite good.

I cannot abide an open kitchen that allows grease to travel far and wide. Only an IDIOT would do that in a home.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2020 4:19 PM

i like the exterioer pastels, esp the porch ceilings

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2020 4:20 PM

I personally love it....however, some of the pink would need to go.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2020 4:23 PM

R6 the blue porch ceiling is very common in Charleston, it is called Haint Blue and is supposed to drive away ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2020 4:23 PM

Sign me up. It's a Barbie dream house!

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2020 4:24 PM

Recent Post & Courier Charleston headline: Filthy floods cover Charleston area with poop bacteria, viruses and other dangers

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]the blue porch ceiling is very common in Charleston, it is called Haint Blue and is supposed to drive away ghosts.

But hopefully not gentleman callers!

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2020 4:46 PM

It's a beautiful house, even though a lot of the character was removed. If one has the money to buy a place like this it wouldn't be too difficult to remove some of the modern "updates," like the sputnik lamps and return it to what it should be.

If I were rich (I'm not) I could be very happy there.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2020 4:52 PM

In the south the pastel pinks (and greens) is a quite popular color for homes on the seacoast.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2020 4:52 PM

I love the titty-pink chandelier with the nipple shades.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2020 5:05 PM

Damn R1 beat me to it!

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2020 5:14 PM

That house is all wrong. Bad renovation on top of bad renovation. Sad. I bet it was really an interesting place at one time. A long time ago.

A house on "Queen Street" should be better received at Data Lounge.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2020 5:28 PM

I had heard and seen generally good things about the architects, but one look at the ersatz Adam style chimneypiece (nevermind the powder puff pink) with its way off mark proportions and those sickly applied moldings and the central tablet with its very wonky pattera... it's all classic Charleston architectural vocabulary but thoroughly fucked up. What's worse is that this isn't so shit swept from a woodshop floor and assembled Frankenstein's monster style, it was planned, together with the half-baked clipped corners of the applied moldings in the flanking cupboard, the too variable shifts in pane size and proportion and orientation from one window to the next, an inelegant plan, shitty materials (the salvaged look flooring, the weatherboard effect of the panels beneath the windows, the 20 years too late diagonal white marble effect on the fire surround.

It's across the street from a housing project, not an architecturally unattractive one, but not a draw.

Externally it's better, imposing beyond its 2900 square feet, and the facade entrance to Charleston single-house piazza is impressive at first look, though some of the details are weak on inspection.

Charleston is quite an expensive city but I wouldn't shell out $2.5M for that, or $1M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 5:43 PM

I love it. Fun fact: blue porch ceilings prevent wasp nests.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 5:53 PM

Pepto Bismol pink and seafoam green are so calming, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 5:59 PM

[quote]I cannot abide an open kitchen that allows grease to travel far and wide. Only an IDIOT would do that in a home.

Who cooks with grease that much anymore?

Are you writing from 1969 with your big ol' can of Crisco under your arm?

For that matter, who even cooks that much anymore?

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2020 4:42 AM

I love it!

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2020 4:46 AM

I like the seafoam green but the color palette in general is too muted and bland.

A coral color, or even salmon color, would be a better compliment to the seafoam green.

Also this place is over-priced - this looks like some pre-Covid fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2020 4:49 AM

That's a lot of Mary Kay some bitch sold.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2020 4:51 AM

I’ve seen this combo before. Pink and green are the colors of Alpha Kappa Alpha, an African-American sorority.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2020 4:58 AM

It was built this year. For a new build it’s well done, although not a fan of the Wayfair decor.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2020 5:00 AM

What is under the living room with the two smaller windows facing the street at street level? It’s not shown in photos or floor plans.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2020 5:40 AM

The open struts in the attic, complete with insulation, were unexpected in the parade of staged photos. For a $2.3 asking price, couldn't they have put up some shiplap and slapped a coat of seafoam green paint on it to create a less rustic home office ambience?

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2020 5:55 AM

Floor plan is hard to understand, but looks like tandem parking spaces (2 cars). I wouldn't like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2020 6:05 AM

I simply could not abide the nipple lights and all that pink. I guess it's a nice house, my eyes were burning too much to tell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2020 6:09 AM

Yes, what was up with the titty chandelier? Was that modeled on the Lady of the manor?

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2020 6:14 AM

Is it really a new build? Because it looks rather lived-in, in places like the attic.

Anyway, as discussed above, some very strange design choices have been made here. I don't think I've ever said it on a Tasteful Friends thread before, but in this case, the place needs furnishings and finishes that are MORE opulent, not less.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2020 8:31 AM

I like the house. I presume the furniture is just for staging, because it is all crap with the exception of the gilt mirror in the living room and the dressing table/ chair set in the master bedroom. That heinous light fitting in the living room needs to go, the people that fit a decent chandelier can take it with them when they go, ditto the nipple pink light fittings in the dining area.

R31 is right - this needs ornate period furniture and lights. Some more ornate cornices and ceiling mouldings would enhance it, along with a shitload of chintz Wallpaper all the rooms too, add rugs etc

I do like the kitchen and bathrooms, can live with those as is.

R28 there is space to build a double garage or carport where the "patio" is now and move the patio round the back where there is more privacy. Problem solved, and a garage would make a patio out the back even more secluded and private

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2020 8:58 PM

To all of you that keep posting that this is a renovation, or they should have kept a wall up, if you would have taken a moment to read the description before posting incorrectly, the VERY FIRST line of the Property Description says it is new construction. Don't be in such a mad hurry to post your misguided opinions before you read the post!

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote]A coral color, or even salmon color, would be a better compliment to the seafoam green.

Oh, dear. Can your colors speak?

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2020 11:51 PM

[quote] there is space to build a double garage or carport where the "patio" is now and move the patio round the back where there is more privacy. Problem solved, and a garage would make a patio out the back even more secluded and private

Perhaps, but it is sort of difficult to get permission to build in Charleston. I'm sure the house had to go through many design reviews to be allowed in the first place. I wouldn't count on being able to add a garage and especially not a carport.

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2020 12:15 AM

Every pink door marks a boudoir wherein Lindsay Graham has been porked senseless by 8-10 virile Negroes.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2020 12:36 AM

Thanks R35. I'm not familiar with Charleston. Or the US in general

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2020 1:00 AM

R37 It wouldn't be hard to do that in many, if not most, places in the US but cities, especially historic ones have more stringent processes. Charleston is particularly known for its historic architecture and ambience, so they are very careful to maintain it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Think pink!

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2020 2:31 AM

pink is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2020 2:45 AM

This is for a 6 year old girl. How many little girls are looking for real estate in South Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 41October 2, 2020 2:47 AM

R38 thanks, that makes sense. I can totally understand why they wouldnt want some hideous concrete bunker plonked down in amongst a beautiful historic district

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 2, 2020 10:56 AM

$3 mil to live in south carolina? why?

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2020 11:06 AM

Had wasp nests on my porches every summer before I had the ceilings painted Haint Blue two years ago.

Since then -- no wasp nests.

Ordered it at the paint store -- they knew what it was.

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2020 11:06 AM

The phony (I hope--it'd be unlivable w/o utilities) attic, the nipple ceiling, the cheap windows--this place is like a mess of dumb choices that don't work together. The use of color is kindof random and the light pink seems feeble.

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2020 11:28 AM

The Return of the Preppie Handbook. Pink and green worn by Muffy.

by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2020 12:48 PM

I think the "phony" attic is a result of the homeowners having to reign in the budget during construction. That floor plan is divergent of a classic Charleston "Side House" plan - typically the second floor front would be a family living room/library (the main floor would be "public") with the master bedroom to the rear. The "attic" floor would be bedrooms. And generally, the kitchen would've been in a building behind the main house eventually connected to the main house with a "hyphen". Although the house isn't in the coveted South of Broad neighborhood, its location on Queen St in Harleston Village is enviable - Queen St Grocery down the block is a great hangout and some excellent restaurants, like Husk, are just down the street, as is King Street for shopping. The architects did an awesome job of replicating classic Charleston architecture and that is why this new construction was permitted in the Historic District.

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2020 1:12 PM

R43 You obviously know nothing of the South Carolina coast. $3 million isn't outrageous for a home in the Charleston historic district, or for that matter on many of the islands. The SC coast and beaches are some of the most beautiful in the US, to me second only to Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2020 5:33 PM

R48 - I totally agree with you. I have good friends that have a house on Sullivan's Island and it is such a great island - great laid back charm with almost no commercial element - just a few very good restaurants, and no hotels. Very quietly upscale (and expensive).

by Anonymousreply 49October 3, 2020 1:33 AM

R48: Oh, please---totally forgettable. And Hawaii has some really ho-hum beaches, itself.

by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2020 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!