Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does everyone keep pretending as though life will ever go back to normal? It won't.

Do people actually believe that any more movies are going to be made? Or live television shows?

You can't make a fucking movie with a fucking mask on, and social distancing, and worldwide quarantines.

Sports are being played in stadiums with no people. Who in the fuck wants to watch that?

Fashion? Clothes? What for? There's really no point to it any more, because there's nowhere to go.

Travel has become an even bigger nightmare than it used to be. Nobody wants to travel now. And most attractions, restaurants, and other touristy places are still closed.

The majority of restaurants in cities are closed, and will most likely never re-open.

Bars and nightclubs are closed.

And then there are the millions who are now out of work, who have no money to spend on all of these places which are closed any way.

Nothing will ever be the same.

The world as we used to know it is pretty much gone. Get that through your thick skulls.

by Anonymousreply 300November 4, 2020 6:09 PM

One thing is for sure a constant: screeching MARYS!!! like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2020 12:33 PM

Sorry R1, but it's just annoying watching tv and seeing all these ridiculous commercials talking about how "business is opening up again" and "people are on the move" and blah blah blah.

It's all a fucking lie. It's like advertisers are pretending that people are traveling again, and eating out again, and doing business again, when it's quite the opposite.

Then I'll read a thread about Henry Cavill wanting to be the new James Bond, and it just makes me laugh. Does he honestly believe that anyone is going to be the new James Bond? Hollywood is finished.

I know that people want to keep up the illusion that we're going to go back to normal, but it's just laughable to me.

And pretending that we will be normal again, and talking about it over and over will not make it so.

It's just so delusional.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2020 12:38 PM

MARY !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2020 12:41 PM

It’s not like there haven’t been plagues or pandemics before. It’ll go back to normal eventually.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2020 12:42 PM

OP, they’re already back to filming.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2020 12:43 PM

I just got back from Walmart and they had everything: rubbing alcohol, bleach, hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes (The three canister pack).

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2020 12:50 PM

"You can't make a fucking movie with a fucking mask on"

More than 60 movies and shows in production currently in my city alone right now.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2020 12:53 PM

I need Lysol spray

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2020 12:59 PM

Youre overreacting. There are loads of people eating at restaurants and at airports everywhere. You’re being silly.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2020 1:08 PM

Are you posting from April, OP? Movies are now being made. TV shows are being filmed. The majority of restaurants in my city are open, and this is in a state that's been pretty cautious with the virus. Bars and nightclubs are open in many states. Airlines are busier than they have been since February.

Yes, there are a lot of people out of work. But in my neck of the woods, houses are selling like crazy --multiple offers on homes the day they go up for sale.

I don't get it, but life (for those who are still living) goes on.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2020 1:09 PM

I don't see movie theater's EVER coming back. A lot of the big chains are in BIG financial trouble. Even if they were allowed to open up EVERYWHERE they would only be allowed to operate at 50 capacity at best . They can't make money at that level , and that assumes that enough people would even bother returning to movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2020 1:14 PM

We will power through. I hate trump. But I believe in America. Call me corny, but you can’t stop things from going forward. We need to be on that wave.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2020 1:19 PM

In many places, people are now going to movies like COVID doesn’t exist. People are essentially living normally in many places

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2020 1:20 PM

I think you underestimate the strong desire for people to gather. Once this thing can be fixed with a vaccine or a pill or whatever... people will get back to some sense of what life was like before. There may be some changes. I think teleworking will become widespread and I think things like work travel will diminish because of Zoom. That will affect the desire to build new office buildings and the work convention circuit may suffer a little a bit at first. But entertainment will come back, bigly.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2020 1:20 PM

People are already partying, congregating, going to bars, eating out, even returning to movies

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2020 1:25 PM

You have to fly to make deals. It really is that simple.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote] People are already partying, congregating, going to bars, eating out, even returning to movies

Maybe in red states, but not blue states.

My state is locked down tighter than a preacher's daughter's chastity belt.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 1:30 PM

Because 'normal' is all we know.

Why do people crave foods from their childhoods? Why do people watch the same old movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas? Why do I make a beeline for a familiar work of art as soon as I enter a museum? It's because we take comfort in things that we associate with good times and past pleasures.

It's the same reason I tell people they'll see their departed loved ones 'in heaven', even though I truly believe there is no such thing. It's because it's too difficult to fathom what the unknown is. Deep down, no matter how old we get, we want to reach up and hold mommy or daddy's hand and have them lead us somewhere safe, to tell us everything is going to be all right, to assure us there are no monsters under the bed. Only now, mom and dad are gone and it's up to us to face the great unknown by ourselves.

Right now, it's simply too much to ask of people that they take their long-held hopes and dreams of a big wedding, a world cruise, or going away to college and toss it in the trash, so we cling to the hope that some day, we'll all go back to the way it was.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 1:31 PM

R12 Same. I’m a southern lib who believes in the promise of America and what we could and should be. We will never get there but we will get through this.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 1:34 PM

Hollywood is partially back to work under SEVERE restrictions. Even a breath of Covid and they shut down IMMEDIATELY. There’s quarantining and podding happening so production can happen. As far as restaurants, shopping, tourism, travel, live entertainment and flying go, that is all fucked for the next year or two at least and probably changed completely for our lifetimes. Some of it will never come back. Movie theaters, restaurants, and hotels are definitely dead for the foreseeable future. Flying is not coming back like people are saying it is. Airports are empty and flights are about 20% of the capacity, no matter the pictures you see in media of full capacity flights. Anyone who steps on a plane right now is a fucking fool.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2020 1:37 PM

Many shows have resumed production already so you can Mary all the way to the psychiatric ward OP.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2020 1:39 PM

R17, it’s nothing like that in a huge swath of the nations. Gyms are packed with maskless people in Texas

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote] we will get through this

These are the kinds of "slogans" that I constantly see on television, and it annoys the living fuck out of me.

How do you know we'll get through this? Do you have a crystal ball that can see the future?

From everything I've seen so far, we are circling the drain.

Just because commercials, and public service announcements, and feel-good American advertisers are trying to push this shit on us, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I'm glad you're optimistic, R19. But I need something much more concrete than a slogan. And with my own eyes, I observe only shit happening around us.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2020 1:40 PM

nope, you look at life after the pandemic of the 1918-1919 and after and indeed, everything changed. from how people dressed, to how they voted, worked and played.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2020 1:41 PM

People are way more resilient than OP gives them credit for - everything will return to normal, that's just how society operates. People who have made drastic changes, like leaving the city to move to the far-out country, will be regretting their hasty decisions.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2020 1:41 PM

[quote] People are already partying, congregating, going to bars, eating out, even returning to movies

[quote] Maybe in red states, but not blue states.

This is what happens when you have a mental defective running the country.

You have no leadership. No organization. No plan of action. No consistency.

Everyone is making up their own rules as they go along.

So some states are back to normal, and some states are locked down. It's fucking depressing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2020 1:43 PM

Much of what you said is not true, so I guess you're either trolling or feeling sorry for yourself.

Television shows and movies will be filmed once quick and accurate testing is available for all cast and crew, just like what they're using for athletes right now, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]How do you know we'll get through this? Do you have a crystal ball that can see the future? From everything I've seen so far, we are circling the drain.

All right, Sad Sack Sam, the experts who say we'll get through this are wrong, while your gut feeling that we're all dead men walking is the real truth. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2020 1:47 PM

Outdoor dining was always a big thing here, but now it is even bigger and this past weekend had great weather and the sidewalks were back with people eating and drinking. People are chomping at the bit to get back out there.

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]From everything I've seen so far, we are circling the drain.

I don't think people are taking this virus seriously enough, our leadership has been a disaster and there is much more death and despair to come -- but I don't think we're anywhere near "circling the drain." We made it through the American Revolution, the Civil War, two World Wars, the Spanish Flu, Vietnam, et al ... we'll make it through this.

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote]This is what happens when you have a mental defective running the country.

If you think people would be behaving any different if a "progressive" president were heading the nation you're more delusional than you think.

I'm not fear mongering OP but that's just the reality.

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2020 1:49 PM

How old is OP's post? They've already been filming movies and TV shows during this time, they simply employ social distancing, quarantining regulations, and proper masking.

You're right, life will never be the same, but that doesn't mean that the entertainment industry will cease to exist because of this.

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2020 1:51 PM

It’s very possible that live entertainment will cease to exist R32, in the capacity it was at before.

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2020 1:53 PM

[quote] If you think people would be behaving any different if a "progressive" president were heading the nation you're more delusional than you think.

The rules and policies would be consistent across the board. That's the point.

A Democrat would also have been more socially responsible about setting an example with mask wearing and social distancing.

A lockdown would have occurred nationwide in March and April, lowering the infection rate.

The CDC would be intact and probably have had a vaccine in place.

A Democrat would never have told people to take Hydrochloroquine or inject themselves with disinfectant.

So please stop with your bullshit, R31.

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2020 1:53 PM

Zendaya made a whole short film during COVID just to show that it's possible when you simply do what doctors fucking tell you to do. The only instance I've heard of where a film set is at risk was The Batman with Robert Pattinson, and that didn't come as a surprise because Pattinson is a dick who refuses to wear a mask or socially distance ever and probably believes that COVID can't get him because he was in Twilight and that makes him better than all those sick peasants.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2020 1:54 PM

R7. what state are you in?

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2020 1:57 PM

R23. I get that. I am not really so optimistic . I go back and forth from wanting to shoot people and wanting to reach out.

I can’t do anything but reach out. It is my nature.

by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2020 1:58 PM

Why are some of you so doom and gloom? This is not the end times people. In spite of the horrid and almost non existent federal response to this pandemic, look how far we've come since March. It just takes us awhile to get used to a new routine. Once this over, there will be a period of transition and then things will get back to what we call normal.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2020 1:58 PM

[quote]It’s very possible that live entertainment will cease to exist [R32], in the capacity it was at before.

Do you think this pandemic will be with us forever? That no effective vaccine will ever come along? That people won't take the vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote] MARY !!!!!

Indeed. All of the industry has resumed filming. Drive by any soundstage and you see the medical tents and trucks for daily COVID tests. If the NBA can play in a bubble, movies and television can resume.

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Soaps have been taping for more than a month already.

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2020 2:03 PM

So Hollywood is back, I guess.

You can't keep a good WHORE down.

There's too much money to be made.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2020 2:05 PM

There will not be a vaccine for years R39, and the delusion that there will be one in the next year is just that, delusion.

by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2020 2:17 PM

They may be a bit too optimistic about a vaccine within the next year, but once we have one, we will slowly return to normal. It may take at least a decade, but life will slowly return to "normal."

Why do I put "normal" in quotes? Well take the epidemic that devastated the gay community in the 80s and through the early 90s. Are we back to fucking like rabbits like we were in the 70s? Yes and no. Yes...we're fucking -- hookups as well as in relationships...but we're very aware of the dangers of unprotected sex.

Same with this pandemic. We'll socialize again...but we'll also keep our distance from people.

by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2020 2:25 PM

The Black Death killed 40-60% of Europe’s population. A few years later, there was an economic boom. People didn’t lock themselves in for life.

The Spanish flu killed ~60 million people worldwide. A few years later - the roaring 20’s. Flappers everywhere, nightclubs and Hollywood exploding in popularity.

The idea that covid-19 will permanently (or even for a longer period) end things like the entertainment industry, social gatherings and travel is preposterous. No pandemic in human history has managed to do that.

by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]People are way more resilient than OP gives them credit for - everything will return to normal, that's just how society operates.

yes, and no. people are resilient, but society never "goes back" it always changes. Just look to what happened after 9/11. you've got a very problematic memory if you don't recall wholesale changes to how we live (especially in big cities)

by Anonymousreply 46September 29, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote]A few years later, there was an economic boom.

try more like a century, bunky

by Anonymousreply 47September 29, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote] A few years later - the roaring 20’s. Flappers everywhere, nightclubs and Hollywood exploding in popularity.

but nothing was the same, silly. golly, what a limited view of history from all of you

by Anonymousreply 48September 29, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]? That people won't take the vaccine?

two thirds of the US polled said they won't take a vaccine

by Anonymousreply 49September 29, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote]There will not be a vaccine for years

Is there anything other than your doom-and-gloom disposition that points toward that being true? Do you disbelieve the scientists and epidemiologists who claim optimism"? Are you a "it's never been done before so it can't be done now" type?

by Anonymousreply 50September 29, 2020 2:32 PM

[quote] If the NBA can play in a bubble, movies and television can resume.

try telling that to all the tens of thousands employed on broadway

by Anonymousreply 51September 29, 2020 2:32 PM

R50, no, but even fauci and other epidemiologists have said plainly that a vaccine will NOT make things "go back to normal". it just doesn't work that way

by Anonymousreply 52September 29, 2020 2:33 PM

You're all very delusional. I'm not gloomy OP, but we aren't in the middle ages anymore or the 1940s. Capitalism will collapse in less than 20 years, we literally have no natural resources left, the few we have, we're burning it.

This pandemic is just an exercise on what's to come. Theoretically we'd be able to recover as before, but we're heading to another major catastrophe. The world won't end but will be vastly different. The predictions is that a new pandemic like this with a much deadlier virus will hit us in the next 5 years. I predict that 2 billion people will die next time.

As for the delusional poster who thinks sociopath Hillary would have made a difference, this is what I have to say. People are selfish and assholes, with Trump or Hillary the people defying quarantine and doing as they pleased would do it just the same. It's not even an American thing, and America is a fucking selfish nation, it happened in countries known for kindness like Brazil and countries known for obedience to the state like Germany. People just don't fucking care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2020 2:37 PM

We won’t be able to resume somewhat normal life without rapid, reliable, and widely available testing. We’ve lost months on that since you know who never had a testing plan or strategy.

by Anonymousreply 54September 29, 2020 2:37 PM

OP is not entirely right. But he's not entirely wrong either.

Things will not go back to normal. There will be a new normal, and it will be pretty different than what you're used to, at least for a while.

by Anonymousreply 55September 29, 2020 2:40 PM

Some of you watch way too much Walking Dead or are just natural gloom queens.

I remember hitting puberty in the 80s and thinking that if I even got next to another penis I was gonna get AIDS and die. That continued throughout the 90s in college. Now... everybody is fucking like rabbits. Some people treat HIV like a head cold or a chronic illness that can be managed like any other chronic illness.

The world is never going to isolate itself into individual vacuum sealed little bubbles. The opening up is already happening and when all the restrictions are lifted, life will go back, except for the handful of doom and gloomers on here who just want keep living in some cold, barren isolation pod.

by Anonymousreply 56September 29, 2020 2:46 PM

There are plenty of TV shows and movies that have already resumed production OP. Your post is histrionic in the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 57September 29, 2020 2:48 PM

OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 29, 2020 2:49 PM

R56, the fact that everything is opening up is why cases are surging, and why we'll have to close back down.

Nothing will return to anything resembling normal until there is a highly effective vaccine and more than 80% of the population has been inoculated.

And this extra long quarantine will color a lot of things for a long time. Like it or not. Far more people will be working remotely than before, as just one example, even after this all blows over.

by Anonymousreply 59September 29, 2020 2:49 PM

R58, one of the most ignored things about "Debbie Downer" is that everything she said was actually correct.

by Anonymousreply 60September 29, 2020 2:50 PM

OP is wrong, movies and TV shows are shooting again.

Not every territory is closed or high in COVID.

The demand for streaming content at home has never been higher!

by Anonymousreply 61September 29, 2020 2:52 PM

r60 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 29, 2020 2:52 PM

The reality today has little to do with the virus itself and a lot to do with society's behavior under a health crisis and that won't change. It has also a lot to do with capitalism which was already heading to a halt and this pandemic just accelerated the process. Many people won't be able to recover in time because there is nothing to recover to. There's nothing delusional about facing reality. In the next 20 years a lot of people will die, be it due to another virus, hunger and suicide/depression.

I mean it was bound to happen, socialists were warning people more than 100 years ago the collapse was inevitable. On a plus side, the survivors will inherit a planet with lots of technology and decentralized control. We have lots of technology to save this planet and to aid everyone, but till the full colapse of a system design to horde fortune for a few, we won't see the light.

by Anonymousreply 63September 29, 2020 2:54 PM

Get psychiatric help, r53, before you hurt yourself.

You're not describing the real world.

by Anonymousreply 64September 29, 2020 3:05 PM

The Spanish Flu epidemic came on the heels of World War One and "The Roaring Twenties" was very much an outgrowth of WWI and not only Spanish Flu. Post- Covid there will be societal changes; however there will be a new "normal" and in many respects it will not be so different than what came before. Certain industries will have a downturn or disappear and others will thrive in their place. After all, as soon as lockdowns and restrictions end, many people go back to doing what they were doing before (even in a foolhardy way). But societal change and evolution happens anyway, even without a major causative event. Humanity has a certain resilience which has been proven historically.

And no matter what, nobody can predict what will happen.

by Anonymousreply 65September 29, 2020 3:08 PM

What's tiresome is people like the OP and other people who I knew shrieking back in March and shaming me for going to the grocery store since I don't live a life that allows me to be able to have everything delivered to me, that millions of Americans would be dead by the end of the year. Well guess what we have 3 more months left in the near and the number of deaths are barely over a million WORLDWIDE. And just because you were wrong about the first wave quit trying to hype up now about a second wave. Yes there might be a rise in cases, but the deaths are extremely low and will stay way because the majority of susceptible already died! If you don't feel like you can return to the 21st Century fine, but guess what? The world will move on without you.

This message has been sponsored by your local AMC, come try our new butter, made from bat's milk!

by Anonymousreply 66September 29, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote] Get psychiatric help, [R53], before you hurt yourself. You're not describing the real world.

Yes I am, and so are most scientists today. Go ahead and keep living in your delusional bubble. BTW i'm just fine with this world ending, why would I hurt myself? Maybe you're projecting.

I'll sit and watch the crumble of capitalism, of selfish idiots fighting for basic resources such as water and food and that's it, I have nothing to lose. Apparently you do, living in complete denial of the hardships predicted by science.

by Anonymousreply 67September 29, 2020 3:27 PM

It already is close to normal for many people. For many people, the only thing that changed are masks in public and plexiglass screens at the grocery store and drive thrus. Other than that, they still go to work and see their friends and family like nothing is wrong. As others have said, movies and TV shows have resumed production. There is one movie where a few crew members catching COVID didn't even stop production because "those people didn't come in contact with the main cast anyway."

People are tired of COVID fatigue. Things may not be 100% the way they were before but people will adapt, adjust, and learn to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 68September 29, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote] Well guess what we have 3 more months left in the near and the number of deaths are barely over a million WORLDWIDE

Yeah, that's because people shut themselves in. Are you stupid?

by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2020 3:28 PM

[Bold] AND WHO'S FAULT IS ALL OF THIS????? WHO???? SAY IT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 70September 29, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote] The CDC would be intact and probably have had a vaccine in place.

Trump’s “response” to covid has been a disaster but don’t fantasize about this. Nobody has come up with a vaccine, no matter how functional their government.

by Anonymousreply 71September 29, 2020 3:30 PM

R69 Really dumbass, by your logic then, where are the millions that should be dead in Sweden?

by Anonymousreply 72September 29, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]That will affect the desire to build new office buildings and the work convention circuit may suffer a little a bit at first. But entertainment will come back, bigly.

ITA, and all the existing office buildings that are emptying out due to a shift to work at home should be repurposed to house the homeless. No way they should be put up in $600/night luxury hotels.

by Anonymousreply 73September 29, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote]nope, you look at life after the pandemic of the 1918-1919 and after and indeed, everything changed. from how people dressed, to how they voted, worked and played.

LOL. Yes, because of a world war and the industrial revolution. Not the flu.

by Anonymousreply 74September 29, 2020 3:45 PM

[quote] Really dumbass, by your logic then, where are the millions that should be dead in Sweden?

Do you know simple math? Sweden has one of the highest death rates by population in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 75September 29, 2020 3:46 PM

Unfortunately life WILL go back to normal. The very normal that has brought us to this situation.

by Anonymousreply 76September 29, 2020 3:47 PM

The economy was doing great before this thing hit....so, I'll be happy if we get back to where we were.

by Anonymousreply 77September 29, 2020 3:49 PM

[quote] The economy was doing great before this thing hit....so, I'll be happy if we get back to where we were.

My fucking god, you do live in a bubble don't you?

by Anonymousreply 78September 29, 2020 3:51 PM

R72 Sweden has an approximate 40% of the population living in one person households and the national household average is 2.2 persons. Since most COVID transmission takes place at home, you can't apply the Swedish model to other countries. And the death rate in Sweden is higher than the other neighboring countries that it can be compared to.

by Anonymousreply 79September 29, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote] The Spanish Flu epidemic came on the heels of World War One and "The Roaring Twenties" was very much an outgrowth of WWI and not only Spanish Flu. Post- Covid there will be societal changes;

The "Roaring Twenties" were a direct consequence of the Spanish Flu epidemic, following just years after the death and devastation of the epidemic. America will have a similar resurgence after this pandemic. Americans are far too entitled and self-centered to not make a vigorous push to return to "normal "

by Anonymousreply 80September 29, 2020 3:56 PM

There will be another huge surge this winter. We haven't seen the worst of it. Idiots will refuse to wear masks and get vaccinated. Shit isn't going back to normal for a long, long time. Especially if Trumonis re-elected.

I don't know where the hell you Pollyannas live talking about overreactions and people out and about everywhere. Florida?

by Anonymousreply 81September 29, 2020 3:58 PM

No offense but the only reason America is relevant is because of its military, the empire is over, you have to be blind or living in a cult to ignore that. The world is global and no one will recover from this.

There will be a renaissance of technology and probably a new industrial revolution after the chaos but it won't be led by America, i can tell you this much.

by Anonymousreply 82September 29, 2020 3:58 PM

It will be back to old normal in a few years after some obese, paranoid schizos like OP have dropped dead. Fucking annoying cunts who do nothing but spread fear and panic among us.

by Anonymousreply 83September 29, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote] I don't know where the hell you Pollyannas live talking about overreactions and people out and about everywhere. Florida?

Where do you live, R81?

by Anonymousreply 84September 29, 2020 4:00 PM

R75 Do your eyes work? Have read an article lately? Or are you still living in April? 5000 deaths in a population of over 10 million, that's a far cry from your devastation you are still shrieking about. The rest of Europe is finally admitting what Sweden did for their country seems to of been the right decision for them as numbers are spiking everywhere else, but not in Sweden. Thanks for playing please come back

by Anonymousreply 85September 29, 2020 4:01 PM

You guys act Like the entire nation is hunkered down in masks. Most of the nation is already back to near normal

by Anonymousreply 86September 29, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]There will be another huge surge this winter.

Link to the science Chicken Little?

by Anonymousreply 87September 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Personally, I prefer watching movies at home. I can pause whenever I want to use the bathroom or get something to eat and it doesn’t cost me a fortune.Not to mention the fact you don’t have to deal with other peoples bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 88September 29, 2020 4:03 PM

R81 here. I'm in Seattle.

This thread reads like /conservative over on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 89September 29, 2020 4:03 PM

“Life as we know it is over” is pretty much a reoccurring theme in history.

When the bicycle was invented, it required new clothing design for women that allowed for physical mobility.

When cars were invented, couples could be alone with a new privacy.

OP may as well shriek, “My 30s as I knew them are over!” Yes, they are. Now you adapt.

by Anonymousreply 90September 29, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]There will be a renaissance of technology and probably a new industrial revolution after the chaos but it won't be led by America, i can tell you this much.

Gaze into my crystal ball

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 29, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote]I'm in Seattle.

Oh, that's unfortunate

by Anonymousreply 92September 29, 2020 4:13 PM

When a vaccine is available, I wonder if the anti vaxxers will still refuse to get it. Now how to isolate them? Just thinking ahead.

by Anonymousreply 93September 29, 2020 4:27 PM

We don't need to gaze into anyone's crystal ball to learn that finite natural resources are literally over so capitalism is dead and thus America will sink with every other nation in the planet. We already know that. Given the response to this pandemic to top it all up, you can have a pretty clear picture of what's to come.

by Anonymousreply 94September 29, 2020 4:41 PM

Like the chicken and the egg…

Trying to figure out how an unvaccinated peson can give a disease to a vaccinated person if vaccines work…

Imagine a virus SOOOO DEADLY, you need to test to see if you have it. Imagine a vaccine SOOOO SAFE and effective you have to threaten and force people to take it.

The pharma shills will tell you that everyone needs to lose their rights and be force injected with big pharma goop because 0.0001% of the population can't get the vaccine because they are immunocompromised. Obviously this is a nonsense argument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 29, 2020 4:52 PM

Wow, R18. That was poignant. Really. Hats off.

by Anonymousreply 96September 29, 2020 4:54 PM

SouthernLib, it’s interesting that you felt the need qualify saying you’re pro America, but anti-Trump. Does pro-America mean pro-Trump in most people’s minds? Honestly asking.

by Anonymousreply 97September 29, 2020 4:57 PM

[quote] Link to the science Chicken Little?

All epidemics have a second wave, which, mathematically are deadlier than the first, this is just how viruses spread. We haven't reached that yet and people will have to lockdown again, period.

by Anonymousreply 98September 29, 2020 4:58 PM

A lot of things are pretty much normal already. At least where I live it's basically "Do what you normally did before, only with a mask on."

by Anonymousreply 99September 29, 2020 5:02 PM

There are some people you just don't want to be in lock down with or on a cruise with. They are the type that will grab onto your legs and pull you down so you drowned with them. OP is one of those people. Get over yourself and stop pushing for a panic in the unknown. Normal people hate you.

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote] A Democrat would also have been more socially responsible about setting an example with mask wearing and social distancing.

How naive are you? Do you seriously believe that if Hillary, Obama or whomever asked people to wear masks etc, people would magically follow? The same people ignoring this virus would be ignoring it regardless of leadership unless there was a China scenario where the government forced people into a lockdown. Many people ignoring this pandemic are democrats, don't kid yourself. Selfish people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 101September 29, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote] I don't see movie theater's EVER coming back.

O'dear

by Anonymousreply 102September 29, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote]Do you seriously believe that if Hillary, Obama or whomever asked people to wear masks etc, people would magically follow?

Yes, the same people would still be ignoring warnings and acting like fools, but the president would not be one of them, nor would the president be encouraging that behavior. Nor would the president be calling it a hoax. There is the difference.

by Anonymousreply 103September 29, 2020 5:09 PM

I’m a professional musician, have been for over thirty years. In no way anytime soon are things going to get back to “normal.” People citing that television shows are in production aren’t seeing a very clear view of the whole picture. All of Broadway will be closed for the foreseeable future. That’s not just dancers, or designers, or musicians. That’s front of house staff, and management. No one is coming back. Large organizations like the top-five Symphony orchestras are eeking along, but aren’t really selling enough tickets to really warrant a full season now or later.

What I see as a musician now is all extremely small scale, think of a guy with a guitar on a street corner, or extremely high tech. A Local choir just recorded a recording set in an open field, each singer spaced 20 feet apart, all equipped with audio Equipment to mix and match their sounds with each other. All mixed by a director and videographer. This is fun and exciting to see, but this is not a career for any of those people involved. It is but one gig in a whole year of none.

Those in the performing arts had their lives canceled and affected first, I started getting revisions to schedules in mid-February, live performances will be the last thing to return to “ normal”.

by Anonymousreply 104September 29, 2020 5:09 PM

R15,Yes, and people are still DYING FROM COVID-19.

My hometown high school tried to commence football season, until, whoops!, an athlete caught Corona and the program was promptly shut down. Same with another local school.

It's inevitable that closings will happen also with college sports.

by Anonymousreply 105September 29, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] Yes, the same people would still be ignoring warnings and acting like fools, but the president would not be one of them, nor would the president be encouraging that behavior. Nor would the president be calling it a hoax. There is the difference.

You sound very out of touch with reality. What difference does it make if the president condemns or condones the behavior of its people? If it has no impact, it's just cosmetic. You're an idiot if you're more concerned with appearances than with the practicality of this pandemic, as a matter of fact there's little separating you and the ones denying science.

by Anonymousreply 106September 29, 2020 5:14 PM

R45, the so-called economic boom to which you refer in the 14th century after the advent of the plague in Europe actually started before 1348. Feudalism was in decay...the plague simply accelerated its decay and contributed to the further rise of a capitalist economy. Wages increased and peasants were able to negotiate better land deals because labor was in such short supply.

You're correct...just elaborating upon your comments.

There will be a quiz on this Friday

by Anonymousreply 107September 29, 2020 5:16 PM

[quote]R23 How do you know we'll get through this? .... we are circling the drain.

Perhaps you can create some commercials touting this.

(Do people put up with you in real life?)

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote]You sound very out of touch with reality. What difference does it make if the president condemns or condones the behavior of its people? If it has no impact, it's just cosmetic. You're an idiot if you're more concerned with appearances than with the practicality of this pandemic, as a matter of fact there's little separating you and the ones denying science.

Fuck you! The reason why we are in this mess is because of Trump and Trump alone. It does make a huge difference in the president and administration are working on solutions rather than putting up roadblocks.

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2020 5:27 PM

OP, you’re such a Chicken Little. As if humanity hasn’t gone through pandemics, wars or natural disasters before? I’m willing to bet if the government stopped being a nanny state and opened up everything (including theaters and stadiums), people would be swarming back. It’s only because of artificial controls that people aren’t back to normal and there’s a lot of pandemic fatigue. If an industry suffers, it was already suffering from before corona (ie movie theaters...way too expensive for what they’re offering, better options at home).

I’m going to be a cunt and say that there’s a lot of fatigue over a disease that has killed literally 10 days worth of extra dead people. Most people don’t know anyone who got coronavirus and most of the ones who did were already vulnerable to seasonal flu and its complications. I believe in personal responsibility. Wear a mask, wash my hands, keep a distance and leave the rest to fate.

by Anonymousreply 110September 29, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote]R100 There are some people you just don't want to be in lock down with or on a cruise with. They are the type that will grab onto your legs and pull you down so you drowned with them.

Children do this.

by Anonymousreply 111September 29, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote]R107 Feudalism was in decay...the plague simply accelerated its decay and contributed to the further rise of a capitalist economy. Wages increased and peasants were able to negotiate better land deals because labor was in such short supply.

[bold]#PowerToThePeople!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 29, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote]socialists were warning people more than 100 years ago the collapse was inevitable

Quite the soothsayers, those socialists.

by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote]AND WHO'S FAULT IS ALL OF THIS?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote]Do you think this pandemic will be with us forever? That no effective vaccine will ever come along? That people won't take the vaccine?

What people don't seem to get is that even if and when we have a vaccine, it's not going to be 100% effective. Most likely it will be like the current flu vaccine, which doesn't work all the time. And of course there will be mutations and other strains of this virus.

by Anonymousreply 115September 29, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote]People are essentially living normally in many places

These are our kind of people.

by Anonymousreply 116September 29, 2020 5:50 PM

Exactly. My point was that the devastation of the Black Death didn’t stop people from living their lives once it passed. Economic activity resumed, people didn’t hide in their homes for a generation. The idea that a pandemic with an IFR of 0,5-0,9 would end “our way of life” permanently is totally unrealistic in my view. Yes, we are much more risk averse than people in the 1300’s or even 1910’s, so our reaction has been quite strong relative to disease severity. But people are not going to socially distance for years to come, parents are not going to let their kids education get irrevocably damaged and so on.

by Anonymousreply 117September 29, 2020 5:51 PM

r110. you made all of that up, Good for you!

Now go die in a grease fire

by Anonymousreply 118September 29, 2020 5:51 PM

Florida has reported just under 9,000 new COVID-19 cases among children over the last 15 days as schools across the state reopen and resume in-person classes.

The NFL's Tennessee Titans have suspended play after 8 players tested positive. The team they recently played, the Vikings, have also suspended all activity until everyone has been tested.

There was a 36% spike in COVID-19 hospitalizations in South Dakota following Sturgis, and the state now has the highest per-capita rate of hospitalizations in the US.

Today there are 7,115,046 confirmed cases in the US, with nearly 205,000 dead.

A lot of you old fatties on here need to mask up and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 119September 29, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote] I just got back from Walmart and they had everything: rubbing alcohol, bleach, hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes (The three canister pack).

The availability of isopropyl alcohol and Clorox wipes is not a signal of the end of Covid. It just means that production caught up to demand.

by Anonymousreply 120September 29, 2020 6:04 PM

I think huge concerts will return. Cruises will return. Movie theaters were on the downswing, anyway. Traveling will return.

I hate huge gatherings, but some people love it and thrive on that feeling.

by Anonymousreply 121September 29, 2020 6:05 PM

I had to fly almost 3 weeks ago. The plane was full. As a matter of fact they overbooked. My return flight was full too. I'm flying out again this Friday, same flight out as the previous flight and same flight back as the previous flight, and will be curious if the plane will be full again on my flight and return flight.

by Anonymousreply 122September 29, 2020 6:09 PM

Atlantic City 1919. One year after the end of the devastating pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 29, 2020 6:10 PM

[quote]So some states are back to normal, and some states are locked down. It's fucking depressing.

Ask Boris Johnson, r26 how it's all going for him right now in the U.K. That's depressing. He's now got "mutiny" supposedly in his cabinet or caucus. They're a tiny island - so not as lucky as the States or Canada where at least you can try to spread out or try to re-locate somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 124September 29, 2020 6:36 PM

Exactly r34. A "PLAN" - a Plan of Action, a Strategy, a coherent, 5 year road map for people to understand and not bicker about endlessly 24/7 should have been put in place from Day 1.

by Anonymousreply 125September 29, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote]Movie theaters were on the downswing, anyway.

Christopher Nolan's Tenet has grossed more than $250 million in movie theaters since its opening a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 126September 29, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]All epidemics have a second wave, which, mathematically are deadlier than the first

Well this one isn't all that deadly, so I don't have much fear of the dreaded second wave. In my state of 15 million people, less than 20 die every day. And the vast majority of those folks are 80+ and/or severely immune compromised.

[quote]Florida has reported just under 9,000 new COVID-19 cases among children over the last 15 days as schools across the state reopen and resume in-person classes. The NFL's Tennessee Titans have suspended play after 8 players tested positive.

Uh huh, and none of those people are dying. Most aren't even symptomatic. This disease is not a death sentence to the vast majority of people. So why should EVERYONE be on lock down because of a few? It's the few who need to be quarantined, not the many.

Lock downs and quarantines were originally instituted so hospitals and essential workers wouldn't be overwhelmed. They no longer are and haven't been for a long time. When did this thing morph into ......."we must take drastic measures to insure NO ONE ever gets Covid"?

It's all due to the very same baseless hysteria OP promotes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 29, 2020 6:46 PM

LOL - Dozens of tv shows and movies have gone back into production.

by Anonymousreply 128September 29, 2020 6:51 PM

Well, what do you want people to do? Accept defeat and go on video calls to tell our loved ones goodbye because we're all going to die? It seems that way.

by Anonymousreply 129September 29, 2020 7:18 PM

Things I won't do until this is over with a reliable and safely tested vaccine:

Appear in public unmasked.

Go to an indoor bar or restaurant except for pick up orders.

Set foot in a gym or theater.

Capitalism can literally fuck off and die. I'm not risking my life for someone's "economy."

Attend any indoor event.

Enter an airport or get on a plane unless for business.

Stay in a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 130September 29, 2020 7:26 PM

^^ You can still lead a happy and fulfilling life without those things.

by Anonymousreply 131September 29, 2020 7:33 PM

How could R130 type that with both hands on his hips?

by Anonymousreply 132September 29, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote] Fuck you! The reason why we are in this mess is because of Trump and Trump alone. It does make a huge difference in the president and administration are working on solutions rather than putting up roadblocks.

Sure. Everyone ignoring this pandemic would magically stay home quiet and locked down if Hillary or Bernie were in charge. Beaches would be empty and everyone would behave accordingly, the only problem here is Trump. 🙄

You'd probably vote for Santa and the Easter Bunny too.

by Anonymousreply 133September 29, 2020 7:53 PM

R130, many of us cannot avoid the things that you've included on your list. Due to professional or family obligations I have to travel -- fly, stay in hotel and eat indoors at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 134September 29, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote] Exactly. My point was that the devastation of the Black Death didn’t stop people from living their lives once it passed. Economic activity resumed, people didn’t hide in their homes for a generation.

There's no economy to go back to. This pandemic destroyed an already frail economy, which would fall anyway in the next 10 years. I don't think you realize how serious it is that natural resources are gone , climate change is destroying the rest of resources we have and that the whole fabric of our current civilization even in so-called socialist nations is based on said resources that don't exist anymore. This pandemic is a paid vacation compared to what's to come. There will be no viable time to recover from it, because there isn't anything to go back to.

by Anonymousreply 135September 29, 2020 8:01 PM

Kill yourself now R135

by Anonymousreply 136September 29, 2020 8:04 PM

R135 The MARY to end all Marys!

by Anonymousreply 137September 29, 2020 8:17 PM

Are all you "this is no big deal" posters typing from the flyovers? Have you not known anyone who has died or "recovered" from this shit? Truly, where are you posting from?

by Anonymousreply 138September 29, 2020 8:33 PM

Nobody is saying that it's not a big deal, R138. We're pointing out that some of the alarmist talk is basically bullshit. See, for example, R135, the OP, etc.

by Anonymousreply 139September 29, 2020 8:52 PM

In the South, the majority of people are acting like COVID never existed. It’s unusual to see people in masks

by Anonymousreply 140September 29, 2020 9:18 PM

R139 R140

by Anonymousreply 141September 29, 2020 9:27 PM

Not in America it hasn’t R126. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 142September 30, 2020 12:06 AM

R128, don't bank on your close up just yet. Every set is gonna have a Robert Pattinson situation. Sets will be superspreaders. Even if the cast and crew quarantine, all you need is one jackass to sneak out to a bar, catch it, and then spread it.

by Anonymousreply 143September 30, 2020 4:02 AM

[Quote] I think huge concerts will return. Cruises will return. Movie theaters were on the downswing, anyway. Traveling will return.

And covid will return.

by Anonymousreply 144September 30, 2020 4:08 AM

A message to terrified OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 30, 2020 7:27 AM

I don’t know what scares me more - the virus or the people that follow Trump that will be left behind once he’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 146September 30, 2020 4:00 PM

#146, they'll be just like Trump's tantrums last night: constant disruption.

by Anonymousreply 147September 30, 2020 4:04 PM

R17 this isn’t true. I’m in CA in the Bay Area and things are open.People cannot live locked down forever.

OP life will go on.

Do something today to make yourself happy. ((( hugs)))) we will be okay.

by Anonymousreply 148September 30, 2020 4:20 PM

No, it won't. And not just because of the virus. Because of Trump. He has changed elections as we know them. Now celebrities are in on them. Hell, we could have President Bieber someday. And qualities we were all taught were wrong as children he has normalized. He has shown the world you can be a bigoted, abusive, manipulative bully and still be rewarded greatly for it. You can lie, cheat, steal, mock people, rape people, discriminate and millions will still love you. He has really shown the dark underbelly of this country and we can never go back to pretending that it is "the best country in the world" or that the people here are good ever again.

by Anonymousreply 149September 30, 2020 4:21 PM

Wow, this thread really proves that there are two types of people left here: the ones who see what's happening, and the ones pretending everything is fine and everyone else is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 150September 30, 2020 4:41 PM

It’s called toxic positivity R150, and it’s best to just ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 151September 30, 2020 4:45 PM

But they are a threat to all during a pandemic

by Anonymousreply 152September 30, 2020 5:22 PM

WTF has happened to this place? Posters denigrating others for where they live like the above poster "You live in Seattle, that's unfortunate." What's that about? A blue city in a blue state known for progression and innovation?

All the "you fucking pussy chicken little" comments to R130 who seems to just be following normal CDC guidelines?

The one "school children have covid, so what, they're not gonna die" poster.

Seriously, this place is getting as bad as Facebook. What happened here?

by Anonymousreply 153September 30, 2020 6:11 PM

R127 is 100 % correct.

[quote] that there’s a lot of fatigue over a disease that has killed literally 10 days worth of extra dead people. Most people don’t know anyone who got coronavirus

Truer words have never been spoken.

Which is why it is absolutely ridiculous that the world has been shut down since March, because of this.

Irreparable damage has been done, and for what?

by Anonymousreply 154October 1, 2020 1:53 AM

The reason most people don’t know anyone with coronavirus is precisely because the world has been shut down since March.

And the only irreperable damage has been the lives lost to the virus. Economies and businesses can be rebuilt.

by Anonymousreply 155October 1, 2020 1:59 AM

[quote] Economies and businesses can be rebuilt.

Not this time.

Not with all the over-the -top fear mongering that has been done.

People are now afraid of their own shadow, cowering under their beds.

They'll never leave home ever again, if they dont have to.

by Anonymousreply 156October 1, 2020 2:08 AM

Where do you people live where you don't know anyone who has contracted/died of COVID? I know six people who've died, and two have "recovered", meaning one has awful neurological conditions (my boss, who went into the hospital in April and is still on medical leave) and a guy who owns the boat next to mine. I saw him the other day and he looked 10 years older and dropped forty pounds he didn't need to lose. Looked like a different guy and said he has terrible respiratory issues now.

This shit is no joke.

by Anonymousreply 157October 1, 2020 2:56 AM

So extreme. It’s not all doom and gloom nor is it back to business as usual. We are at a tipping point where effects from hard lockdowns are getting to be worse than the virus ( starvation, job loss, educational losses, depression, suicide, DV..etc) we need to have a balanced way to function while we continue to understand and learn more about this virus. As Barbara said, people need people. We need to interact, to touch, to love. Guaranteed elders locked away in care homes are dying from loneliness just as much as the virus.

I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 1, 2020 3:07 AM

Filming is fucked in Vancouver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 1, 2020 3:09 AM

This virus doesn’t give a fuck whether you need to be touched or loved R158. It. Does. Not. Care. It has one goal, to infect you. And to possibly kill you. And it’s getting better at that. There are new mutations.

Unfortunately, we have to adapt our behavior in order to exist. We don’t get to do what we did before. It’s really that fucking simple. Adapt or die.

by Anonymousreply 160October 1, 2020 4:11 AM

Half the country doesn’t care

by Anonymousreply 161October 1, 2020 10:16 AM

[quote]Do you seriously believe that if Hillary, Obama or whomever asked people to wear masks etc, people would magically follow?

“Whoever,” not “whomever.”

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2020 11:13 AM

“Everything,” r6? Were you a Lysolina [italic]before[/italic] La Pandemica, too?

by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote] Maybe in red states, but not blue states. My state is locked down tighter than a preacher's daughter's chastity belt.

[quote] More than 60 movies and shows in production currently in my city alone right now.

[quote]Outdoor dining was always a big thing here, but now it is even bigger and this past weekend had great weather and the sidewalks were back with people eating and drinking.

[quote]In my state of 15 million people, less than 20 die every day.

And just where is "my state," "my city," your "here," obfuscatorians?

And that's "fewer than 20."

by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2020 11:17 AM

Covid is not going to end everything for us. Climate change will take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2020 11:45 AM

Covid is not going to end everything for us. Climate change will take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2020 11:45 AM

For those of you who think this will pass and things will go back to normal, has anything truly gone back to "normal" since Bush II? Obama was a bit of a reprieve but he could not divert this country from the course it is on. The poster who keep mentioning the collapse of capitalism and the effects of climate change is 100% correct. Things will just keep getting worse. Fires, hurricanes, viruses that pop up because humans keep encroaching on animal habitats, dwindling resources, water shortages, migration within our country from states more ravaged by climate change, geopolitical struggles as countries facing these effects lash out at more prosperous nations, hoarding of resources (google China and their efforts in Africa). We are screwed whether you want to admit it or not.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2020 12:23 PM

Ultimately, I think this comes down to the age old half empty versus half full debate and how you see life. Covid is just another bump in the road that has come and it will go, like all the other bumps in the road that we have endured since we were microbes crawling out of the oceans billions of years ago.

While it takes a minute to adjust to a new "normal", we do eventually all adjust and move forward until the next bump in the road.

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2020 12:50 PM

During this lockdown/quarantine, people are developing new habits. One of them is watching movies at home instead of going to the local megaplex on Friday nights. That's an example of just one new habit, there are loads more. Life can't go back to how it was in Feb. 2020. That may not be bad news or good news but it's an undeniable fact.

by Anonymousreply 169October 1, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]People are now afraid of their own shadow, cowering under their beds.

Obviously. (Las Vegas, Labor Day weekend.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 1, 2020 1:01 PM

[quote]As Barbara said, people need people.

Turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 171October 1, 2020 1:15 PM

[quote]nope, you look at life after the pandemic of the 1918-1919 and after and indeed, everything changed. from how people dressed, to how they voted, worked and played.

That was not due to the pandemic, it was due to the effects of the war, urbanization on society, etc. Read "The Perils of Prosperity" to get a very short and extremely interesting summary of how America basically went into a cocoon in 1918 and came out a completely different creature.

by Anonymousreply 172October 1, 2020 1:31 PM

[quote]That was not due to the pandemic, it was due to the effects of the war, urbanization on society, etc.

and the pandemic

by Anonymousreply 173October 1, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]people are developing new habits.

Yes, they are. And no, things won't go back to the way they were entirely. Life will be different. The world will be different. The way the world is 'always' different after a major event like a war, a natural disaster, a revolution......or a pandemic. But it can be better in many ways.

Some of you really need to open a history book.

by Anonymousreply 174October 1, 2020 8:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2020 8:11 PM

OP you must be quite young. I'm in my late 60s and trust me we've been through worse than what we're going through now and things eventually got back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2020 8:14 PM

Explain to me what worse things we have been through where just going out and being around people can kill you R176?

by Anonymousreply 177October 1, 2020 8:37 PM

The US quickly forgot about the 1918 pandemic. We entered the Roaring 20s and did not look back.

by Anonymousreply 178October 1, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]Explain to me what worse things we have been through where just going out and being around people can kill you

A sampling:

When America was first developing into a country, the traveling settlers brought with them smallpox, a disease that causes fever, back pain, rashes, and chills. Sadly, many settlers did not survive this disease. In addition, it was spread to the Native American population, which dropped by a catastrophic 70 percent.

Two major diseases came in waves and impacted Americans during the mid to late 1800s. The first is cholera, an infection that happens in the intestines and is still prevalent in many countries today. The second is scarlet fever, an infection that happens commonly after strep throat.

At the beginning of the 1900s, the first form of flu arrived. This type was called the Spanish flu. It killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million people and impacted over 500 million others. However, the flu gene changed into the Asian flu, a similar disease that began to impact Americans because it adapted from its previous strand. This strand caused 70,000 deaths in America.

In the mid-1900s, polio arrived. This disease that causes paralysis impacted more than 57,000 people.

Other examples include whooping cough, measles and diphtheria.

by Anonymousreply 179October 1, 2020 8:49 PM

R177 You really are ignorant of history. The 1957-1958 Pandemic. 116,000 deaths in the United States at a time when the population was half of what it is now.

by Anonymousreply 180October 1, 2020 8:54 PM

I'm talking recent R178 and R179. They didn't have the medical advances we have today. With all our medical advances and sanitation we still can't get a grip on the coronavirus.

Go fuck yourself R180. I'm not ignorance of history.

by Anonymousreply 181October 1, 2020 8:56 PM

*ignorant

by Anonymousreply 182October 1, 2020 8:57 PM

And how about the 1968 flu pandemic. Over 100,000 deaths in the US. And no one even remembers it.

by Anonymousreply 183October 1, 2020 8:57 PM

R181 Anyone dumb enough to write the post at R177 is ignorant of history.

by Anonymousreply 184October 1, 2020 8:59 PM

It has already been written about the changes our society will see OP. More people will be working from home. More online shopping instead of brick and mortar stores. Some things will stay the same and others will change. I think eventually we will not need mask, but how long until then would be anyone's guess.

by Anonymousreply 185October 1, 2020 9:00 PM

Go fuck yourself R184. Anyone as dumb as you shouldn't be posting. We didn't shut down the economy during those flu years. If we didn't shut down the economy now the numbers would be much higher. Learn to compare properly.

by Anonymousreply 186October 1, 2020 9:03 PM

Life during the 1968 to1969 pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 1, 2020 9:03 PM

R186 That is the whole point. We didn't panic. Life went on as it should now.

by Anonymousreply 188October 1, 2020 9:05 PM

[quote]More people will be working from home. More online shopping instead of brick and mortar stores. Some things will stay the same and others will change.

In other words: things that were already happening.

by Anonymousreply 189October 1, 2020 9:06 PM

It is becoming increasingly clear that R181/OP is a green pea who hasn't experienced much of the world.

by Anonymousreply 190October 1, 2020 9:07 PM

The flu is not as life threatening as the coronavirus R188. We didn't shut down our economy for the flu.

by Anonymousreply 191October 1, 2020 9:08 PM

It is obviously you don't know what you are talking about R190. Let me make this perfectly clear to you, there is a difference between an apple and an orange.

by Anonymousreply 192October 1, 2020 9:10 PM

Thank you for sharing that, R179.

I totally agree with R188.

The point here is that even with all of these threats of disease and what not, the country NEVER shut down completely in some ridiculous panic, the way we did this year.

Those diseases that R179 noted, are MUCH scarier than Covid. And yet we're acting like fools with this Covid thing.

Wearing stupid masks everywhere, as if people are carrying the plague. People wearing face shields, and gloves everywhere.

All of this hype has turned Americans into a nation of paranoid hypochondriacs. It's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 193October 1, 2020 9:13 PM

Well the rest of the world is wearing mask too R193. Just think of all the lives that could have been saved from selfish idiots like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 194October 1, 2020 9:15 PM

As an aside, the TV show Stumptown was renewed, but because of "timing and scheduling conflicts," aka coronavirus, they reversed course and cancelled it.

by Anonymousreply 195October 1, 2020 10:37 PM

Why does no one appreciate my brilliant Sondheim song choice at r145?

PEARLS BEGORE SWINE!

———————-

[italic] “It’s called, what’s your choice? It’s called, count to ten, it’s called burn your bridges, start again / You should burn them every now and then or you’ll never grow! / Because now you grow, that’s the killer is now you grow / All right, nothing’s fair and it’s all a plot and tomorrow doesn’t look too hot, right? / You better look at what you’ve got: Over here, hello!”

by Anonymousreply 196October 2, 2020 12:03 AM

Everything is shitty always will be.

by Anonymousreply 197October 2, 2020 12:19 AM

Of course life will go back to normal. Pandemics happen, and have happened throughout human history.

by Anonymousreply 198October 2, 2020 12:21 AM

I just can’t take any more doom and gloom - yes things may be different but people will gather again. Can’t change human nature.

by Anonymousreply 199October 2, 2020 1:35 AM

What’s freaking everyone out from Generation X on is that aside from civil rights issues and AIDS, we’ve been pretty much in a time of peace. The economy went up and down, but our daily lives were pretty consistently safe. 911 shook people up, but if you didn’t live in NYC it’s not like you had to change anything.

This is the first time in generations that many people (maybe the majority of the population?) have had to deal with a hands on national emergency ... it seems to me. So, we’re kind of caught unprepared. And many just can’t hack it.

by Anonymousreply 200October 2, 2020 3:53 AM

I agree. things will never be the same. we are changed...for better or worse.

not for at least 2 or 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 201October 2, 2020 5:38 AM

What R119 said. The delusion on this thread is strong. So many talking like this thing is already behind us when we are materially no closer to ending it; cases are still going up, there is no vaccine or effective treatment, and anyone claiming that there is or that those things are imminent is clearly not someone worth listening to.

by Anonymousreply 202October 2, 2020 3:23 PM

No one is saying it’s behind us but we are learning to cope

by Anonymousreply 203October 2, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote]No one is saying it’s behind us but we are learning to cope

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 204October 2, 2020 4:07 PM

[quote] And how about the 1968 flu pandemic. Over 100,000 deaths in the US. And no one even remembers it.

That was the Hong Kong Flu and I remember it well. I almost died from it.

by Anonymousreply 205October 2, 2020 7:33 PM

"Sports are being played in stadiums with no people. Who in the fuck wants to watch that?"

I sure as hell do. I vastly prefer the atmosphere of having a crowd, but I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 206October 2, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote] That was the Hong Kong Flu and I remember it well. I almost died from it.

So this is the second chinese virus?

Goddamn those fucking pigs!!

by Anonymousreply 207October 2, 2020 7:41 PM

R207 No, there’s been quite a few more than two. Thanks, China!

by Anonymousreply 208October 2, 2020 7:57 PM

If Donald Trump or Melania (or both) die from this virus, maybe that will be the wake up call Republicans need to finally take it seriously and do the things they should've been doing all along. That way we can go back to something resembling normal that much sooner. Probably not, but it is nice to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 209October 2, 2020 8:09 PM

If they die, all of his followers will believe it's a plot targeted at white conservatives. They'll believe it's real, but created to destroy them.

by Anonymousreply 210October 2, 2020 8:29 PM

Life is going to be completely the same (but just with masks!) once the President dies of Covid!!

This thread hasn’t aged well for the deniers, has it?

by Anonymousreply 211October 2, 2020 11:53 PM

[quote] Any time you prisspots are tempted to reach for your smelling salts and clutch your pearls because.....waaaaah, life will never be the saaaaaaaame, maybe you should take a gander at this photo of Hiroshima 70 years after it was almost completely annihilated. It's back and thriving, better than ever.

R175, thanks for mentioning Hiroshima. I've been to Hiroshima and, aside from the museum, you'd never know that it had been scorched earth. It's a fun city with good food.

by Anonymousreply 212October 3, 2020 12:16 AM

R211 Trump is not going to die of this. Many still think he is lying about having it altogether which is very possible with him. But assuming he does have it, I think he knows how many Liberals hope and pray he dies so he is going to cling to life if only just to spite them.

by Anonymousreply 213October 3, 2020 4:47 AM

Yes R212, eating a meal in Hiroshima certainly qualifies you to offer an opinion on the lack of ongoing trauma experienced by a city that was annihilated by your government’s nuclear war crime. Die in a grease fire, perchance?

by Anonymousreply 214October 3, 2020 6:14 AM

You have no idea whether he will die of this or not, R213. Your retarded prognostications have repeatedly failed you and your Trumpian ilk throughout the past weeks. You are not a psychic. The chances are quite high that he could die or have severe and life altering complications forever. He is morbidly obese, old, has terrible nutrition, and a lifetime of amphetamine and cocaine abuse that have weakened his heart and arteries. He’s absolutely ripe for a Covid death. The chances are more against him than for.

Again, your a fool.

by Anonymousreply 215October 3, 2020 9:47 AM

Your = you’re, but honestly I couldn’t give a fuck. YOU’RE still a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 216October 3, 2020 9:48 AM

R215, What makes you think I'm a Trumper? I've always been taught "If something sounds too good to be true, then it is." Trump is mean, hateful, vindictive, etc., and those qualities may keep him alive. He knows many people want him to die, so that may make him fight that much harder to stay alive just to disappoint them. I believe there is such a thing as "the will to live."

by Anonymousreply 217October 3, 2020 12:00 PM

I guess those 200,000+ just didn't have the will to live R217. The idiocy you display is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 218October 3, 2020 2:51 PM

r126, it needed to make between $700-800 million to be considered successful.

I'm in the film industry here in L.A. and as soon as the Covid protocols were hammered out by our unions and officially approved, it was gogogo. Here and Atlanta are going full bore, almost everyone I know is working, especially in the commercial and television worlds.

by Anonymousreply 219October 3, 2020 6:18 PM

R217 you're not alone.

Apparently, Michael Moore is also floating a conspiracy theory that Trump is faking it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 3, 2020 6:24 PM

God, Michael Moore is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 221October 3, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote]The delusion on this thread is strong. So many talking like this thing is already behind us when we are materially no closer to ending it; cases are still going up, there is no vaccine or effective treatment, and anyone claiming that there is or that those things are imminent is clearly not someone worth listening to.

No one said it was "behind us". Yes, cases are going up because more and more people are getting tested. Some are not even ill---they're just getting tested for work or because they've been exposed, or they have some slight symptoms. None of these folks would have been tested back in Feb. So, yes positive results are up, but deaths have dropped dramatically, so either treatment is working or deaths were wildly overstated early on. In my state of 15 million we are down to less than 20 deaths per day. Think about that. That is VERY low number relative to the total population.

And as much as everyone likes to bang on that Trump is sooooo high risk, the fact is he really is not typical of those who die of Covid. #1. he is rich. #2. he is white and #3. as POTUS he will get the best treatment on planet earth. What is not being said often enough is that most of the Covid deaths in the US (excluding those over 80 and already at deaths door) are poor people of color. Trump is NOT typical of someone who is likely to die of Covid. Of course he 'could' die of it, but the chances are pretty slim.

by Anonymousreply 222October 3, 2020 6:55 PM

What's going on in this thread is that some people are viewing this thing realistically (that life will return to some form of 'normal' with certain changes after the virus can be either be cured or managed) and there are some of live their lives under the dark cloud of doom and despair.

No one has said this is over. No one has said that you can all relax now. But some of you are such downers and worriers that you refuse to see any path out of this that doesn't require hand wringing and fear.

by Anonymousreply 223October 3, 2020 7:06 PM

The chances are not “pretty slim” R222. Trump’s best friend just died of it. That’s why he’s so fucking terrified. Just stop. Really. You’re embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 224October 3, 2020 7:10 PM

He's 74, obese and impossible to reason with. Of course he's at high risk of death from Covid; any idiot could see that. He's probably ignoring medical advice, eating garbage, and not getting enough rest, if he's even lucid right now.

by Anonymousreply 225October 3, 2020 7:26 PM

This is a long thread and I haven't read every post. But I think the OP is saying that if so, so people have no money, because their jobs do not exist anymore, then what is with all the advertisers and media pretending that fashion, or live theatre, or consumerism, or trends, or fine dining, or celebrity culture, are super relevant still?

by Anonymousreply 226October 3, 2020 7:35 PM

R226 nails it. All the idiots going on about TV shows and theaters reopening; who is going to watch this entertainment when people can't pay their rent?

by Anonymousreply 227October 3, 2020 7:43 PM

In Europe things are not nearly as bleak as the OP presents.

And I bet there are developing countries that can't afford any more of these precautions. Many will get sick and die but millions will go about their lives and HARD labour just to survive.

by Anonymousreply 228October 3, 2020 7:54 PM

The holiday commercials are out in force, and pretending that everything is "just fine." Rofl.

It's like watching the delusional mother from the 1950's whose world is falling apart, yet she keeps repeating, "Everything is just fine. It's juuuuust fine!"

These fuckers are so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 229November 1, 2020 5:20 AM

why don't you go to hell OP? YOU are the exact reason people are leaving the democratic party. Seriously. Before you yell back at me, look at yourself.

by Anonymousreply 230November 1, 2020 5:05 AM

I have a bad feeling if the republicans steal another election then we are going to be in a whole heap of doo-doo.

by Anonymousreply 231November 1, 2020 5:08 AM

Hallmark Channel will be airing a "Zoom Thanksgiving" and a "Zoom Christmas" this year.

How fun!

by Anonymousreply 232November 1, 2020 5:59 AM

Even McCormick's spice brand had a commercial on that said, we know you won't be together this year, but you can still cook Aunt Sally's recipes!

That sounds pathetic.

This year is such a fucking BUST.

Worst goddamned year ever. Not counting next year.

by Anonymousreply 233November 1, 2020 6:04 AM

[quote] Do people actually believe that any more movies are going to be made? Or live television shows? You can't make a fucking movie with a fucking mask on, and social distancing, and worldwide quarantines.

Yes, you can make movies and shows with a fucking mask on. Here everyone is wearing face shields and masks and they have plexiglass installed on all their desks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234November 1, 2020 6:16 AM

[quote] Do people actually believe that any more movies are going to be made? Or live television shows? You can't make a fucking movie with a fucking mask on, and social distancing, and worldwide quarantines.

Yes, you can make movies and shows with a fucking mask on. Here everyone is wearing face shields and masks and they have plexiglass installed on all their desks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 1, 2020 6:16 AM

As far as movies? I just sold one last week. Of course I don't know if it'll get made, but I know at least one studio that's buying.

by Anonymousreply 236November 1, 2020 6:23 AM

OP must be either 10 years old or 90. Of COURSE it'll go back to normal. Eventually herd immunity will take over just like it did w/the Spanish flu. The short-sighted, narrow-minded belief that a vaccine is necessary is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 237November 1, 2020 7:05 AM

This thread should've been over with R4's reply.

by Anonymousreply 238November 1, 2020 7:07 AM

Back in 1985 I thought there'd be a vaccine for AIDS in no time.

by Anonymousreply 239November 1, 2020 7:10 AM

I live in Utah and We just went back to red.

by Anonymousreply 240November 1, 2020 7:14 AM

The video at R234/R235 is just sad.

Nobody wants to watch a stupid show with everyone wearing masks.

We watch tv to escape the crap of this world, and not to be reminded of it.

I'd rather watch reruns of how the world used to be.

by Anonymousreply 241November 1, 2020 8:00 AM

Normalcy is overrated. Healthy is the goal to reach for.

by Anonymousreply 242November 1, 2020 9:11 AM

r228 Most Europeans countries now enforcing full/partial national lockdown for the second time as their daily cases skyrocketing. Europe once again become the global epicenter for the virus. Expect the protest against the lockdown become louder and uglier.

by Anonymousreply 243November 1, 2020 11:07 AM

R243 and many countries are rebelling! Crimes against humanity to keep people on house arrest and prevent from earning a living when they have done no wrong. Look at Italy, Spain, Ireland, UK .. lockdowns do very little to help but cause much harm. I am not presuming to know the answer here but expect to see more civil disobedience and unrest as this carries on.

by Anonymousreply 244November 1, 2020 11:51 AM

My normal life was abnormal pre-March 2020.

by Anonymousreply 245November 1, 2020 11:55 AM

People will find a way to live! Civil disobedience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 1, 2020 12:01 PM

Just did our best from now on. We are heading to the inevitable end of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 247November 1, 2020 12:04 PM

What does that mean R247? People are resilient. We will get through this.

by Anonymousreply 248November 1, 2020 12:15 PM

I was thinking along those lines, r247 last night in fact. I watched Boris Johnson's press conference last night thinking how on earth is this man, with no vision, no gumption as he should have had months ago, now suddenly going to implement and expect results from a 4 week lockdown? I'm not at all opposed to lockdowns but they need to be "strategic" not "reactive". Anyway, the point is how will those in hospitality recover? Small businesses? I'm kind of surprised there is much more commentary from UK on this on DL. .

by Anonymousreply 249November 1, 2020 12:23 PM

^^^ there **isn't** much more commentary....

by Anonymousreply 250November 1, 2020 12:24 PM

OP is a bit MARY! but he's not wrong. Between COVID and the rapid intensification of the effects of climate change, things will only get worse from here on out. Electing Biden will buffer some of the pain, but he only has so much at his disposal.

This winter will be brutal. What aid was provided has run out. We will see mass business closures and mass evictions. This will have a domino effect on the economy causing even more lay-offs, leading to more evictions, crime, hunger... Wait until a year or so down the road when the long-term health ramifications for people who survived COVID surface.

It's as if people think we'll get to some magical month in 2021 and all will be as before. As if we'll all be going on cruises, and to the movies, and going out to eat. The world seems to be under a mass delusion that it can continue to play by pre-COVID rules. It's depressing because it prevents us from dealing with reality.

by Anonymousreply 251November 1, 2020 12:37 PM

While I agree it’s not a switch you can flip to go back to normal, I believe if Biden wins and at the least we get some real, valid, enforced federal guidelines things will improve. This summer in most of New England it was ok, we were able to live a little while we kept distance etc, if 2021 is a year like (virus not gone but people following guidelines ) that our July/Aug it would be bearable.

by Anonymousreply 252November 1, 2020 1:17 PM

what are all these TV shows and movies with facemasks? has american vogue even put a model on the cover with a facemask yet?

by Anonymousreply 253November 1, 2020 1:40 PM

[quote] I watched Boris Johnson's press conference last night thinking how on earth is this man, with no vision, no gumption as he should have had months ago, now suddenly going to implement and expect results from a 4 week lockdown? I'm not at all opposed to lockdowns but they need to be "strategic" not "reactive".

Thank you for pointing this out.

Governments EVERYWHERE seem to be doing things reactively, as you put it.

Spike in cases? Lock down. Decrease in cases? Open up. Spike in cases? Lock down. Decrease in cases? Open up.

THIS IS NOT A FUCKING SOLUTION!!!!

And it's killing economies everywhere, not to mention it's making people paranoid as fuck.

No one wants to eat out, no one wants to travel, no one wants to do anything but hide in their homes and hide from "the boogeyman."

Watching these people in masks walk around, looks like a scene from a dystopian future movie. It's surreal.

At this point, little kids are so used to wearing masks everywhere, people are so scared of travel and fun, etc., that no one is going to want to do these things any more.

Many, many businesses will die. Our economy will die. People will be out of work.

We need to get out of this FEAR mindset, or we won't have a future.

by Anonymousreply 254November 1, 2020 1:57 PM

The only reason that advertisers keep pretending that the world will go back to normal, is because they're whores for money.

They don't live in reality, and thus have to keep pretending that nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 255November 1, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote]Between COVID and the rapid intensification of the effects of climate change

[quote]Wait until a year or so down the road when the long-term health ramifications for people who survived COVID surface.

r251 - We already know that the Earth is trying to get rid of us or at cull our herd. In fact, the Spanish fear they have detected a new strain of COVID, akin to the diff strains of HIV. Not exactly COVID-20, but a mutation that could complicate vaccine efforts.

by Anonymousreply 256November 1, 2020 2:21 PM

It doesn't take a ten year old to figure out that Johnson should have shut the airports, implemented a viable test program at little cost to taxpayers (instead of being fleeced by billion of $$$), educated and **enforced** distancing, masks among the wider population, etc. And Done This From Day 1. Not Day 1,498 or whatever it is now. It's too late for what he's proposing. Right now, I get the sense they're just trying to save what they call their NHS (?) health system. Johnson should have been exceptionally vigilant from Day One of this Covid outbreak/pandemic (he had ample time to see effects in Europe) before it waded on the shores of U.K. U.K. is incredibly densely populated. He should have known, educated himself, and planned for contingencies.

What kind of strategic contingency is it to now be trying to "save" a health care system from being destroyed while a pandemic starts to rage? The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 257November 1, 2020 2:45 PM

Its an outrage, R257.Particularly when he was exposed to the virus and suffered terribly requiring hospitalization !

by Anonymousreply 258November 1, 2020 2:48 PM

Leaders and governments are incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 259November 1, 2020 3:32 PM

Is everyone confident about Joe Biden and his plans or is it more just get Trump out of office?

by Anonymousreply 260November 1, 2020 3:40 PM

R256

There have been researchers and doctors saying this from the beginning. Dr Luc Montagnier, the Indian scientists whose paper was retracted. Dr Antoni Serra -Torres from Spain says this is a bioweapon to cull the population

We must wonder why the powers that be are issuing such strange directives

Check out this thread from this doctor - ( ignore the patriot stuff but read what he says.. why are the CDC and NIH not advocating for early tx?- )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 1, 2020 3:44 PM

R260 I think it’s just get Trump out of office. I hope he will have capable and willing people to lead but i do wonder how much can be accomplished with the state of binary interactions! No more nuance.

by Anonymousreply 262November 1, 2020 3:45 PM

"We are not rounding the corner". Covid-19 cases soar in El Paso even after a new lockdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263November 1, 2020 3:50 PM

Lockdowns don’t work.

by Anonymousreply 264November 1, 2020 3:55 PM

Bullshit, R264.

by Anonymousreply 265November 1, 2020 4:16 PM

Fuck off, R265. The lockdown flattened the curve of the first wave.

by Anonymousreply 266November 1, 2020 4:19 PM

Sorry, R264 should fuck off. R265 is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 267November 1, 2020 4:20 PM

The vaccine which may turn out to be the winner and a game changer is the nasal vaccine being developed in China in conjunction with one American company. Everyone look it up.

by Anonymousreply 268November 1, 2020 4:26 PM

Why is a vaccine needed for something that's not a big deal and will "go away all on its own and just disappear "?

by Anonymousreply 269November 1, 2020 4:30 PM

I'm more concerned about studies showing rapid anti-body drop-off. If this holds, then a vaccine may not be very effective. And other studies show there are multiple Covid-19 strains, and that it's mutating. Which means this might become something more like colds (no vaccine that works) or flu (multiple vaccines and annual inoculations required), rather than something like Smallpox, which we completely eradicated with a single vaccine.

This is going to plague us for a while, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 270November 1, 2020 5:14 PM

Thanks for chiming in Donald @R269.

by Anonymousreply 271November 1, 2020 5:43 PM

The bars and restaurants are packed (outdoor seating and some indoors) in Hillcrest.

by Anonymousreply 272November 1, 2020 5:46 PM

[quote] The vaccine which may turn out to be the winner and a game changer is the nasal vaccine being developed in China in conjunction with one American company. Everyone look it up.

No thank you very much.

I would rather have no vaccine, than a vaccine "Made in China." This is where that fucking virus came from, in the first place.

Same goes for Russia.

Both of those devil countries can fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 273November 1, 2020 6:00 PM

Meanwhile China the very source of this plague only had 24 reported case yesterday. In fact China have maintained under 50 case per day all the way since April about the same time when hell broke loose in Europe, US and beyond. Their economy also quickly bounced back.

by Anonymousreply 274November 1, 2020 6:02 PM

I see Chairman Mao has chimed in from Peking at R274.

Go fuck yourself, TROLL!

by Anonymousreply 275November 1, 2020 6:04 PM

Totally jealous and furious too. The economic fall out of this shitshow will take a lifetime to endure.

by Anonymousreply 276November 1, 2020 6:06 PM

If this thing were ever as contagious as they said everything would have had to be shut down. Every single thing and far more extreme measures would have had to be implemented.

Bet you didn't know that the filming industry did not totally shut down did you? For the first two months of lock down, yes. In June they began making commercials again and there has been movies and tv shows filming, some in Hollywood and some not.

This whole thing has been an October surprise launched long before the election. Just think, what would the presidential race look like without corona? It would look like Trump was getting another term, that's what it would look like.

by Anonymousreply 277November 1, 2020 6:16 PM

Getting a second term, correct. He lost in 2016.

If this virus is a hoax to make the president look bad, why is France and England going back on lockdown ?

Are Macron and Johnson in on the hoax?

by Anonymousreply 278November 1, 2020 6:24 PM

r273 - Here's a bit of maybe useful or useless info depending on your point of view. I vaguely recall in the spring 2020 some news about Astra Zeneca (sp?) being forced in the U.S. (and maybe internationally, can't recall) to take some drug off the shelf as it was proven to be a cancer causing agent. It's funny I've been listening to all the imminent vaccine stories the past few months and every so often Astra Zeneca name pops up and I never hear any public outcry about this company.

Anyway, I just mentally filed this information because I really doubt there is going to be a 100% perfectly "healthy" antidote vaccine to Covid. Folks to flock to any vaccine done in under 2 years, I consider very brave. Myself, no thanks. Not for a few years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 279November 1, 2020 6:56 PM

Would you guys just fucking COOL IT!! Even if we all die, we're all going to heaven!! We're gonna be with Jesus and it's all gonna be all right! So knock it the fuck off ya bunch of cry babies!

by Anonymousreply 280November 2, 2020 1:00 AM

Walking around NYC tonight - cold, wet, dark early. No ability to do outdoor dining. Really hit that this winter is a wipeout - at least for NYC. Nothing can happen. And even the moderate 25% indoor activity will likely stop at some point. NYC had sparks of life with outdoor dining in September - but the weather and Covid resurgence is going to kill it.

It really feels like the end of life as we know it. None of the social life that we live in NYC for. I wonder if I will ever live to see a time when clubs, bars and dancing return. In 2019, I had slowed down going out because I felt it wasn’t healthy and I should save money. Now I’m glad I celebrated life in NYC pre-Covid. I may never get the chance again.

by Anonymousreply 281November 2, 2020 1:37 AM

nothing will return to normal

by Anonymousreply 282November 2, 2020 1:41 AM

Nope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283November 2, 2020 1:53 AM

Wow, I am so glad everything is going back to normal measured by the fact that they are filming flaming garbage for tv and making movies. In a pandemic, this is always the the gold standard of life returning to normal.

Just in case you have not kept up, layoffs are measured in the thousands now, the people renting will have a giant tidal wave coming at them in a few months, and there is no vaccine till June at the earliest. And for the ADD crowd on here, Normal ended in March and we will never get back to pre-pandemic life. Ever. There will be Covid 20, 21, 22, 37. Also if you pull your head out of your ass, you may notice that the epically stupid in the country, that outnumbers us thinks science is a lie, there is a baby eating conspiracy run by an elite cabal and Bill Gates wants to vaccinate you with hidden microchips that will control your brain with a Verizon 5G signal. That is the type of rock solid foundation I am confident in for a return to "normal".

Thigs are going downhill fast, even with the hoped Biden win, as he will actually have to put the hammer down on large part of the population that will not wear a mask.

But keep thinking things will return to "normal" because for this particular situation will make it so, as the universe is static in this case and change for better or worse is not in effect, perfect for burying your head in the sand.

by Anonymousreply 284November 2, 2020 2:38 AM

Un huh.

And yet New Zealand and Australia have contained the infection rate down to zero, this wasn't done with a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 285November 2, 2020 2:57 AM

^You beg her to spare you "Debbie, please!" but you can't stop Debbie Downer!

by Anonymousreply 286November 2, 2020 2:59 AM

^ that was for R284

by Anonymousreply 287November 2, 2020 2:59 AM

The Great Reset.

by Anonymousreply 288November 2, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote] Walking around NYC tonight - cold, wet, dark early. No ability to do outdoor dining. Really hit that this winter is a wipeout - at least for NYC. Nothing can happen.

R281, that sounds absolutely depressing.

[quote] And yet New Zealand and Australia have contained the infection rate down to zero, this wasn't done with a vaccine.

If we had a leader - a President - who actually led, then we could have had the same outcome.

We could have a) prevented the virus from entering this country (by using our intelligence in china), b) instituted a NATIONAL stay at home order back in March (rather than a state-by-state piece meal approach), and c) made mask wearing mandatory from the very beginning.

Instead, we are where we are. Because of Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 289November 2, 2020 4:18 AM

Trump was the worst person to be president during this pandemic. He is too narcissistic and selfish to lead by example. The federal government and private businesses may have made some good steps to help, but how can he take credit for that? If he would have endorsed social distancing, mask wearing and strategic restrictions, the deplorables may have bought in, instead of crying that their rights are taken away.

by Anonymousreply 290November 2, 2020 11:57 AM

Absolutely, R290.

He changed the whole trajectory of how this pandemic was handled.

by Anonymousreply 291November 2, 2020 1:30 PM

I hate Trump - but seeing Europe, which handled it logically, experience the same second wave shows how managing this is almost impossible. Lockdown, open slowly, infections spike, lockdown again - that seems to be the roller coaster we are destined to live for the next year at least.

by Anonymousreply 292November 2, 2020 1:55 PM

Canadian here r292. I live in the "Atlantic Bubble" comprised of New Brunswick. Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland provinces. These Provincial Governments banded together early on to basically restrict movement (internationally and inter-provincially) unless quarantined upon arrival. This means we have been **almost** Covid free (yes, yes we've had a few cases....). This "bubble" makes us perhaps the safest region in all of North America.

Anecdotally-speaking, I walk out of my house and feel very safe. I wear a mask as do all other shoppers as required by law to go grocery shopping, public meetings are extremely limited (I think they now allow hockey gatherings of up to 50 people as of yesterday, not 100% sure on that), and strict procedures in place for dental visits to name just a few. I can attest that the value of this early on adoptive policy means there is almost zero impact on our health services, and as far as I can see everyone is pretty relaxed, no stressed out public demonstrations or anything of that sort. Very calm, very organized, very secure and great sense of overall well-being.

According to link below (Global News):

[bold]And while the strict isolation orders have been difficult for Leek and others across the four Atlantic provinces, they’ve also been a major reason, according to health experts, the region has had remarkable success eliminating community transmission of COVID-19. .... On Thursday, Atlantic Canada accounted for 13 of the 14,490 active COVID-19 cases in Canada, while Quebec alone reported 933 new infections. Daily case numbers are breaking records in Ontario and British Columbia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293November 2, 2020 2:11 PM

Good info. I didn’t know that. Thanks R293.

by Anonymousreply 294November 2, 2020 2:18 PM

Oh oh - I forgot to name Prince Edward Island as one of the 4 provinces in the Atlantic Bubble.

I should add that we complied all 4 Provinces early on with very strict lockdown rules. Around March, April when this all blew up, we were all required to stay home and only go out for medical appointments or shopping for necessities. It was pretty strict, pretty severe but as the article I posted says "the numbers don't lie." We've been very fortunate in the sense that organization by top officials and collaboration among the 4 Premiers and Provinces has meant exceptionally low to near zero transmission of Covid. I should also mention that the Covid transmission stats in Ontario and Quebec are huge - growing every day. So it's clear that lockdown does work. We're living proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 295November 2, 2020 2:40 PM

This year's holiday editorial should be "No, Virginia--there is no Santa Claus."

by Anonymousreply 296November 2, 2020 4:21 PM

Now it's all but guaranteed that life will never return to normal.

Trump will see to that.

by Anonymousreply 297November 4, 2020 8:28 AM

You don't want it to go back to normal. Trump's America is the normal, with or without him.

by Anonymousreply 298November 4, 2020 10:02 AM

The economy will tank under Trump.

by Anonymousreply 299November 4, 2020 10:48 AM

The economy is going to tank regardless. If Trump won, it'd tank farther, and for longer. Under Biden, it will not tank as badly, and will start rebuilding.

Unfortunately, Biden will have to deal with a GOP Senate, it appears, which will make things recover VERY slowly as they obstruct everything necessary to fix this country.

by Anonymousreply 300November 4, 2020 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!