Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California Governor Gavin Newsom signs law requiring trans inmates to be housed by gender identity

The law requires inmates to be asked how they identify, then they must be housed accordingly.

Governor Gavin Newsom signed a law on Saturday that will require California prisons to house transgender inmates according to their gender identity.

The law requires officers to privately ask inmates if they identify as transgender, nonbinary or intersex. They must then be housed in the appropriate facility, and officers must refer to transgender inmates by their chosen pronouns.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation cannot deny those requests, the law says, solely because of inmates’ anatomy, sexual orientation or a “factor present” among other inmates at the facility.

It does note that management at a facility can deny the requests if there is a security risk; however, the inmate must be allowed to object to that decision.

Similar laws have been passed in Rhode Island, New York City and Massachusetts.

Democratic state Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill and maintains that there is a “false narrative about transgender people and about transgender women in particular that they’re somehow not really women and are just trying to scam their way into women’s bathrooms or facilities in order to do bad things.”

He noted that “overwhelmingly,” trans people are victims of assaults in prisons.

“It means a lot to me and my sisters,” said Michelle Calvin, a transgender woman incarcerated at Mule Creek State Prison, who recently called in to a news conference about the bill. “I’ve been in for 15 years. I’ve been through the abuse, I’ve been through the disrespect of staff not addressing me for who I am because I am a woman.”

It was one of several LGBT-related laws that Newsom signed this weekend. Other newly-signed legislation requires better tracking of how diseases affect the LGBT community by public health officers, bans life and disability insurance companies from denying someone coverage solely because they have HIV and creates a Transgender Wellness and Equity Fund to provide grants to organizations that support the trans community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 7:52 PM

Well good luck with that.

Rofl.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2020 12:11 PM

As much as I love Gavin, I think that he is trying WAY too hard to be politically correct.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2020 12:11 PM

How did the trans movement ever become this powerful?

It's shocking that politicians can be this stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2020 12:40 PM

I’m sure that will end well for the 5’2” “trans man” who still has her cunt, to be locked up with a bunch of criminal men.

Or are trannies now going to be getting special jails too?

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2020 12:43 PM

We all know this pipeline only runs in one direction r4. No FTM inmates are going to request to be placed in a male facility.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2020 12:47 PM

So they’re going to put FTMs in male prisons? Talk about pussy power. They’ll be running those joints after using their vadges to control the top dogs in every facility. Those big boys will be killing each other daily on some gladiator shit to get access to that pussy.

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2020 12:48 PM

I'm all for this plan.

When the shit hits the fan because of this new law, in both men's AND women's prisons, it will settle this debate once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2020 12:50 PM

If Trump wins again, it’s his fault.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2020 1:12 PM

There were a spate of rapes of female inmates in the UK when trans women were allowed into the population. They are now to be housed separately.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2020 1:14 PM

[quote] Or are trannies now going to be getting special jails too?

It would make more sense to trans prisoners to be housed together.

Same with sports. Have a non binary league.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2020 1:16 PM

Gavin's going to have to learn that lesson the hard way, R9.

He's trying too hard to please that constituency, and it's going to bite him in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2020 1:16 PM

This will all end in tears, rapes, unwanted pregnancies and trauma for life. The women in prison are usually in there for a good reason - they committed a crime. They don't need the added bonus of 'female' prisons with dicks causing them grief. Despite what crimes these women have committed the state has a DUTY OF CARE for their well-being. This new law goes directly against that.

I can also see some lawsuits coming on.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2020 1:24 PM

[QUOTE] There were a spate of rapes of female inmates in the UK when trans women were allowed into the population. They are now to be housed separately.

Female prisoners are already getting raped by the male correctional officers, teachers, doctors and other staff members in charge of them. But there’s also a lot of consensual sex too. So it’s nothing new. People have this belief that female prisons are all strictly administered by female officers and staff, and so putting MTFs there will mean suddenly introducing dick to the atmosphere of female prisons, but guess what my friend: dick is already there, and female inmates are getting it willingly and unwillingly.

The transgender stuff just makes for shocking headlines that grab attention, especially those who have an anti-LGBT agenda and want to “own the libs,” but the regular day to day rapes and dickdowns that have always been happening—nobody cares about that.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2020 1:32 PM

Interesting take, R13.

But please don't lump the T in with the LGB.

That's like comparing apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2020 1:36 PM

The T is there, R14. And it’s not being removed. You might as well embrace it, and that doesn’t necessarily mean embracing every single pro-T policy that’s put on the table.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2020 1:49 PM

Things like that are how conservative backlashes happen in the first place. I knew that a lot of the mainstream gay rights organizations would stab us in the back one way or another, but I didn’t think it would be this way and to this extent.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2020 1:50 PM

This is why he won.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 1:57 PM

I honestly thought that Gavin was smarter than this.

He may be a one-term governor.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 1:58 PM

[QUOTE] He may be a one-term governor.

😂 They would make him governor for life if they could.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote] officers must refer to transgender inmates by their chosen pronouns

Good fucking luck with that.

Prison guards have a million more important things to deal with, than calling these idiots by their "chosen pronouns."

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2020 2:08 PM

Gavin really screwed this one up not taking into consideration women’s safety in prison.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2020 2:39 PM

Gavin jumped the shark with this one. And the shark he jumped used to be an orca.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 2:41 PM

By all means then r13, let the trans women rape the female inmates as well if the guards get to have a go.

You absolute cretin.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2020 6:47 PM

California, here I .... oh never mind.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 9:39 PM

R23, rape is a racial slur born out of fear of black male sexuality and gay male sexuality as well. But you knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2020 12:15 AM

R4 They already have special wings for prisoners who for various reasons (cop, lawyer, judge, teacher, parole officer, etc) cannot be housed with the general population.

For the male to female transgender people who are pushing to be housed in women’s prisons it’s not about safety, it’s about validation.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2020 1:59 PM

God, I'm getting tired of this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2020 2:25 PM

Let's see how it goes. If it turns out as bad as in the UK, it will be a clear signal to the rest of the world.

In any case, I welcome California's willingness to let their prisoners act as guinea pigs for the rest of the country. (Or, rather, force them...)

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2020 3:35 PM

R25 no one knows that because it's moronic and not a fucking thing asshole. Fucking sicko troll.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2020 4:32 PM

It makes sense. Those who identify as women will only be safe with other women.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote]I’m sure that will end well for the 5’2” “trans man” who still has her cunt, to be locked up with a bunch of criminal men.

When the situation comes up, the "trans man" will magically identify as female.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2020 7:50 PM

Is it up to the prisoners or must female to male be locked up with me? If it's up to them that's bullshit. If gender ID is the basis, then FTM are going to be at higher risk when they're housed with men. And when of course MTF get housed with women but FTM get housed also with women, we will see that gender is too insubstantial to base prison housing on. There are bodies and on that basis, organize people in prison so as to minimize risk and harm.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2020 7:51 PM

Ugh, "men" not "me"

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!