Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher has morphed into a weird, alt-righty, incel libertarian ideologue

I can't stand to watch his show anymore and have been watching him from the start of his career. Maybe twice in a season he'll have a good guest on and I just cringe through the rest of the hour.

He used to have right wingers on to embarrass them and refute their ludicrous talking points. Now he has them on to agree with them, or worse, for them to agree with his increasingly reactionary viewpoints.

Most of the topics he chooses or alludes to sound like they were ripped from Breitbart headlines.

None of the 'new wave' of liberals and progressives seem to be invited on or want to do his show anymore. He loves stacking his panel with other aggrieved white wealthy conservative men to create one of those rhetorical 'safe spaces' he hates so much.

What happened here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 4:44 AM

Well, OP, you have answered your own question. There's no need to bring your troubles here.

Besides this charmless person already has 13 threads here.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2020 4:45 AM

I know! My SO really liked his show in the 2000s so when we got cable again (not my choice) we started watching him again. I think he's more invested in his investments than he is in any kind of moral stance, if he ever had one. His incipient misogyny is full on display now. As you point out, maybe no more girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2020 4:45 AM

Thanks, R1, without you, how would we know what to read and post about?

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2020 4:51 AM

You realize he got famous off of a show called “politically incorrect” right? Why would he be “with” progressives like AOC?

His MO has always been to expose the bullshit of both sides (usually the Republicans, but no he’s clearly not too fond of the SJW faction of the Dem party, either).

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2020 4:52 AM

There's something nihilistic about him now. It almost feels like he's rooting for another Trump win and the rise of dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2020 4:52 AM

Yes thank you for saving me the trouble R3

I would also like to add an extra "fuck you" to R4

[quote] You realize he got famous off of a show called “politically incorrect” right? Why would he be “with” progressives like AOC?

Yes, I watched it. DID YOU?

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2020 4:56 AM

Look, another crazy person who gets mad when a progressive doesn't agree with every tiny thing he does.

You're the reason Trump won and will keep wining.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2020 5:00 AM

R6 I wouldn’t have posted that if I DIDNT. Since Comedy Central days, yes.

Since WHEN has he aligned with traditional politically correct views? That hardly makes him a neo-con or “old conservative white guy.”

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2020 5:00 AM

[quote] His MO has always been to expose the bullshit of both sides (usually the Republicans, but no he’s clearly not too fond of the SJW faction of the Dem party, either).

Like all seriously misguided individuals that engage in bad faith arguments, Maher minimizes the reality of right wing extremism with accompanying statistics and cherrypicks for a virtually negligible amount of left wing equivalents to impugn all those that oppose injustice in society as "SJWs"

Let's please stop pretending you don't think the entirety of the democratic platform that isn't centered around your status personally as a GWM is an exercise in SJW'ery.

You and Maher are of the same "me, first and only" persuasion so your insight on his downfall can only be so profound.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2020 5:04 AM

[quote] Look, another crazy person who gets mad when a progressive doesn't agree with every tiny thing he does.

Bill Maher is not a progressive and doesn't claim to me. He used to call himself a left leaning libertarian.

[quote] You're the reason Trump won and will keep wining.

Another cliched empty threat from someone that likely voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2020 5:06 AM

Do you even know what being progressive means? I don't think you do. Sure, you prove my point. Anyone who doesn't carry the stock answers that pleases you must have voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2020 5:12 AM

R9 almost all his New Rules go all in against the Right Wing and hard. Or the undecideds who spoiled the election last time. So he doesn’t agree with you on every single Progressive issue, and he thinks the new Oscar diversity rule is absurd (which it is), so OF COURSE that makes him some sort of alt right libertarian. There’s really nothing else to say to that except a million lols.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote] Anyone who doesn't carry the stock answers that pleases you must have voted for Trump.

You not knowing and still not seeming to know that progressivism and libertarianism are two completely different political ideologies coupled with your "YOU ARE WHY TRUMP WON" standard white male death rattle gives us some reason to doubt your credibility.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2020 5:16 AM

R12 You're a fucking moron and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2020 5:16 AM

This thread was intended to discuss Maher's descent into radicalism and of course it attracted types like Xennial already pre-radicalized with their persistent persecution complexes on full display

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2020 5:20 AM

'𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐫' 𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐚𝐭 𝐇𝐁𝐎

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2020 5:21 AM

Bill is morphing into a MAGAit.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 5:23 AM

R16 You seem to think your brand of alt right libertarian edgelord taunting has any effect on people like me. I swear to you it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 5:23 AM

R13. What does "Progressive" mean?

People wave the word around but they're unable to give their definition if it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 5:26 AM

R19 Well it certainly isn't screeching about The Oscars not being fair enough to the 99% of white winners throughout its history that have had a monopoly on the film industry. I could go on but why bother really

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2020 5:29 AM

R15 you make zero sense (persecution complex? WTF) but that’s to be expected.

You just can’t stomach when people disagree with you, it clearly gets you very bent out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2020 5:30 AM

Xennial, you've made too many comments on this thread and none of them have been any good. I am neither angry nor bent out of shape. My side is winning the culture war.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 5:33 AM

R22 well gee I’m so afraid to comment now. You certainly SOUND like a moron. Have fun on your imaginary crusade.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2020 5:45 AM

Bill Maher is awesome and progressive and anti-Trump.

This is a troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2020 5:53 AM

Worshipped by incels and brogressives aggrieved with the culture

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2020 5:55 AM

What's the difference between a brogressive and a progressive?

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2020 5:57 AM

[quote] Bill Maher is awesome

Opinion

[quote] and progressive

Fiction

[quote] and anti-Trump.

So is Joe Walsh, who said he would grab his musket if Trump lost. Big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2020 5:57 AM

Bill Maher is not a progressive in any way shape or form. You can't be a progressive and a transparent racist at the same time. He frequently tokenizes leftist principles to scapegoat brown people. It's a very overt rouse used by right wingers like Trump and the racist denizens of this website when they talk about muslims throwing gays off of buildings in the middle east to provoke hatred and mistrust of domestic U.S. muslims and arabs.

Again: very divisive the type of bigotry that is owned squarely by the right.

Bill Maher has claimed to be both a liberal, a libertarian and an independent simultaneously but alt-right adjacent is certainly the more objective category and his brood seem to be bent on defending him here despite his profound history of racism, disinformation and targeting that serves no point. This is just a fraction of the shit he's been embroiled in within the last decade.

He's one of many monetizing what he thinks is controversial truth telling but is really right wing paranoia and fringe belief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2020 6:22 AM

Bill Maher accused of racism over fried chicken comment to black congressman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2020 6:24 AM

Bill Maher Goes on Despicably Racist Rant Against China Over Coronavirus by Marlow Stern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2020 6:27 AM

In a segment on Friday night’s episode of Real Time, Bill Maher took a swing at Senator Lindsey Graham’s “hypocrisy on steroids.” But rather than focus on actual things the South Carolina Republican has done to undermine our country’s democracy, Maher decided to share a list of passé stereotypes about gay people in his efforts to attack him… since being gay is hilarious and should be used to belittle people we don’t like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2020 6:29 AM

He reminds me of one of those neo-libs who was a Trotskyite in the 60s and became a hard-core right winger in the 70s. He's just a phony who thinks he is swimming against the tide but really has an enormous sense of entitlement because of his birth class, sex, race, and passing for straight.

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote]Maher decided to share a list of passé stereotypes about gay people in his efforts to attack him… since being gay is hilarious and should be used to belittle people we don’t like.

He must post here then.

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2020 6:33 AM

He dated Ann Coulter. He was never a liberal or a progressive

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2020 6:34 AM

R33 I have no doubt at the very least his writers go on here.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2020 6:37 AM

Bill Maher is like most white men, if something they do impacts someone else negatively (women, people of color) their attitude is those groups should just toughen up and learn to live with it. If they perceive something in ANY WAY restricting THEM or impacting THEM negatively, all the bitch comes out of them and they start screaming "Stop everything!" we're suffering. They let workplace sexual harassment go on for generations and it would've continued to go on if left up to them, same thing with racism. Thank God for #MeToo and #OscarsSoWhite. Both events caused more good than bad, it's just that it wasn't for white men and white men see anyone else getting something as them losing something. When your entire existence has been one of pampered, catered to favoritism and demeaning and exclusion of others, equality looks unfair. The truth is they're just spoiled and what does a spoiled child do when you finally say "No" to it? It throws a tantrum. An African American friend of mine said right after Trump was elected "Donald Trump. That's a real white man." I didn't get what he meant at first but watching Trump's behavior over the last 4 years, I fully get it now.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2020 6:40 AM

Bill Maher: 'I'm Down With #MeToo, I'm Not Down With #MeCarthyism'

Bill Maher broke down a concern he has with the #MeToo movement on Friday’s broadcast of “Real Time.”

Maher said he was a “true supporter” of the movement, which has prompted many people to talk about sexual harassment and assault. But he lamented the rise of “distinction deniers” who “can’t tell or don’t want to see a difference between assault in a van and a back rub by the water cooler.”

“I’m down with #MeToo, I’m not down with #MeCarthyism,” he said.

“Giving up on the idea that even bad things have degrees, that is as dumb as embracing the idea of alternative facts,” said Maher. “Justice requires weighing things, that is why Lady Justice is holding a scale and not a sawn-off shotgun.”

“(Vice President) Mike Pence and ISIS are both homophobic,” he added. “But Mike doesn’t throw gay men off the roof, so he’s better. This isn’t that hard, people!”

----

Massaging the intern by the water cooler is one of Maher's most treasured memories of the 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2020 6:40 AM

R30 Your link is Appalling! And Despicable!

It must be cancelled immediately!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2020 6:41 AM

"If we’re serious about eliminating fascism, why don’t we just make all political parties illegal except for Labour?"

Oh Titania, you never fail to make me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2020 6:44 AM

R38 All you're doing is demonstrating that alt right nitwits like you that decry "cancel culture" in a cultish mantra at every given opportunity over an opinion or critique you don't like are a part of the mob that has always been the real opponent of free discussion. Stifling free speech under the banner of free speech and personal liberty is exactly the type of predictable reactionary response one expects when they have a modicum of intelligence or knowledge of history. You're not clever or swimming against the tide, you're a lemming with access to a computer.

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2020 6:48 AM

Maher thinks white men like himself should be free to say whatever they want about women, gays, blacks, whomever, in the name of humor. But he's very thin-skinned about any criticism of his misogyny, his privilege, his insularity. I think having to stay home during covid has truly outed him as the ugly, angry little incel he always was. He dated Ann Coulter, for real???????

Can you imagine what their children would have looked like?

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 2:53 AM

I just unfollowed Bill Maher on Twitter because he’s such a Debbie Downer.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 4:40 AM

he hasn't "morphed" into anything. he's just the smug arrogant asshole he always was

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 4:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!