Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is someone stealing my wifi?

I right-clicked a Windows Media Player file and chose the option "Cast to Device." It is listing TVs and Rokus that don't belong to me. Does this mean someone is stealing my wifi? I don't see how that could be because I did one of those complicated computer-generated passwords that I had to write down because it's impossible to remember. The internet/modem comes with the apartment but we must purchase our own routers.

Help.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 7:15 PM

This happened to me too and I changed the Password. Then it didn't happen again.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2020 6:16 AM

I just tried, R1. Didn't work. It's really creeping me out.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2020 6:48 AM

It's the Ghost of Threads from 2015, now in your wifi to seek revenge.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2020 6:51 AM

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2020 6:52 AM

There's probably someone living in your attic, OP. Have you seen Parasite?

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2020 7:07 AM

Are you using Windows 10?

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2020 7:11 AM

Did you just change the guest code?

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2020 7:14 AM

Your neighbor's TV and Roku support WiFi Direct. It's a way WiFi enabled devices communicate directly without going through a router.

Disable "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" on your PC to stop seeing your neighbor's devices as options.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2020 7:27 AM

It doesn't mean someone is stealing your wifi. Those are just devices within range of you. Your computer doesn't care about walls or who's on the lease, it only cares about finding nearby devices. If any of them were your device, you could cast to that one with the right protocols. I see all my neighbors' wifi network names on my computer's wifi app, but no password = no access.

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2020 9:23 AM

It might just be "past" devices that were connected to your wifi, through guests in your house.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2020 9:37 AM

I use this.

PS. What will happen to OP if the wifi stealer uses his bandwidth to download ped0 pr0n or Marvel movies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]What will happen to OP if the wifi stealer uses his bandwidth to download ped0 pr0n or Marvel movies?

DL will laugh, then breathe a huge sigh of relief as Defuncto is carted off to jail. Imagine: no more Bump Bitching from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2020 10:57 PM

The email is coming from INSIDE the house!

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2020 11:07 PM

I'm stealing your wifi right now!

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2020 11:31 PM

OP have you tried not being poor and getting a Mac?

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote]DL will laugh, then breathe a huge sigh of relief as Defuncto is carted off to jail. Imagine: no more Bump Bitching from 2015.

GOOD! Hope it will come true! *fingers crossed*

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2020 11:35 PM

R15 Nope. I used to buy Macs and they were well worth the money. They haven't been worth it for years now. OS X was the first shark jump, and switching to Intel processors made me sure to never buy another one. Why am I paying a premium for something with less software and an identical processor? When they had IBM Power PC processors, they were worth the premium. Plus, at the exact same time Macs got worse, Windows got better. I haven't had a blue screen of death in over ten years.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 1:10 AM

And, it must be said, the Mac version of Microsoft Office SUCKS.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 1:11 AM

What is "Cast to Device"?

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 1:59 AM

[quote]And, it must be said, the Mac version of Microsoft Office SUCKS.

I liked Word v. 5a for Macintosh back in the '80s or '90s.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2020 2:59 AM

R20 I had ClarisWorks back then! I didn't know any better. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2020 4:40 AM

R19 “Cast to Device” as in show the video on the device instead of on my PC.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 7:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!