Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moving to Palm Springs

It's happening soon.

What do I need to know?

Do any of you bitches LIVE there? What's the situation like there with the pandemic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 4, 2021 7:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2020 5:11 PM

Yeah, I hope you like 130 degree temps.

It used to be great, I understand, but now global warming has made it a hell-hole. For that reason, you might be able to get a bargain, but you'd need triple glazing and the best HVAC money can buy.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2020 5:14 PM

R2 We won't be there in the summer. Not if I can help it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2020 5:16 PM

I love P.S.

Have fun, OP.

Oh, and please be careful and don’t fall into the Elder-Gay Meth scene. It’s very real and easy to fall into when attempting to make new friends. I’ve been told this by two retired elders who I trust. Both sober and they k ow of what they speak because they have experienced it elsewhere.

Tons of 55 and over tweakers running around. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2020 5:18 PM

Just be white.

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2020 5:20 PM

Summer goes from April to October - at least - during which time you can expect to pay $250-300/mo. just on electricity for a 2BR condo.

by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2020 5:21 PM

I love palm springs. I just can’t wait for this pandemic to end.

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2020 5:23 PM

[quote] I hope you like 130 degree temps

Thanks, I'll take the sun-filled, hotter-than-hell days when I scoot between air conditioned homes, offices and public spaces without having to shovel the driveway, put snow tires on the car (and deal with the road salt damage down the road... literally and figuratively), dress is multiple layers (which cover muscle [italic]and[/italic] fur), all the while somehow managing to avoid meth dens by, you know, avoiding meth dens.

That said, the pandemic has taken a toll. The entire Coachella valley thrives on tourism which, for all intents and purposes, is dead until we elect competent national leadership. We've lost dozens of restaurants, hotels are going bankrupt, and all of the businesses that support seasonal travellers are holding their breath for the beginning of the season, hoping there is one this year. On the plus-side, a realtor told me that her bookings for long-term vacation rentals are going better than expected, with snowbirds inquiring about properties with well-equipped kitchens and good in-home features. As with much brought about by Coronavirus, high end bookings are steady; it's week-enders/short term and lesser properties that are seeing few takers.

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2020 5:52 PM

I moved here 13 years ago and I’d highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2020 6:01 PM

Bitch, if you don't have a good tan do not even show up to PS.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2020 6:03 PM

Is the tram down during covid?

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote] Oh, and please be careful and don’t fall into the Elder-Gay Meth scene. It’s very real and easy to fall into when attempting to make new friends. I’ve been told this by two retired elders who I trust. Both sober and they [know] of what they speak because they have experienced it elsewhere. Tons of 55 and over tweakers running around.

Wow, really? Sad that people can't quit meth before 40, much less 50.

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2020 9:11 PM

I live here. If you have money, you'll do fine.

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2020 10:02 PM

I can't imagine living there through the summer season.

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2020 10:08 PM

I think about it every once it in a while. I'm 68 and have no close family left, and I live about 1.5 hours away right now. I could probably afford something really nice there, and still have enough left to travel or do a VRBO or AirBnB somewhere else for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2020 10:15 PM

R4 - is it the good meth or the rotgut version? There was great, clean crystal meth in the '80s but it went to shit in the '90s. (I don't do meth, stopped that in my late 20s, but I lived through those decades and was a casual social user. I'm curious if the quality has changed again because that rotgut stuff will do serious damage to Elder Gays!)

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2020 10:17 PM

R10 - bitch please! The eldergays often look more like plucked roosters than tanned. Even many of the younger ones ain't all that. And yes, it is a place where eldergays take meth quite often and it's a pathetic sight.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2020 10:30 PM

I feel attacked, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2020 11:38 PM

Wish I could. Have a good life, OP

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2020 11:40 PM

The good thing is you never need to heat the pool. It stays at 90 degrees year-round just from the sun.

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2020 12:17 AM

Why would electricity be a problem - it is fucking Palm Springs - get solar and you will be selling electricity back to the power company.

by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2020 12:33 AM

i am in exile from there temporarily but cant wait to move back. i only find August and September not pleasant, but they are not really great months anywhere. I spend summers in NW Michigan anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2020 12:46 AM

We will have solar.

And I barely can handle a muscle relaxer, so meth is not on the menu.

I am hoping people are taking the pandemic at least somewhat seriously but one downside is that so much in PS itself is tourist driven, so probably not a lot of places are doing curbside pickup or the like.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2020 12:58 AM

What about Rancho Mirage, what about me?

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2020 1:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2020 1:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2020 1:28 AM

Connie Sellecca & Greg Evigan loved us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2020 2:50 AM

Rancho Mirage, you La Quinta, Indian Wells and Palm Desert can shove a nine iron up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2020 3:32 AM

I’m sure the pandemic situation is twenty years ahead of here.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2020 3:35 AM

Welcome! I have been here going on three years. Happy to have you here.

You will LOVE the winters. Always sunny and always a perfect warm day. Watching the snow on the mountains is spectacular. Some gays can be a bit uppity, but they tend to be interior designers. Since this will be the first full pandemic season with snowbirds, it will be a bit odd. The Canadians are not coming, that means the gang from the north will be here in their homes, and I am not sure about the hotels, so there may not be a big coast people presence. Palm Canyon is closed to make way for more restaurant seating, and it's going to be a learning curve this season.

The welcome wagon with the hot built guy in a jockstrap will be at your door on the second day after your move in. Palm Springs law.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2020 3:48 AM

r28 lives in Coachella or Desert Hot Springs.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2020 3:48 AM

Wasn't Palm Springs blanketed in smoke like the rest of the West? As for balmy winters, don't forget the grey skies and rain and the windstorms during the shoulder seasons.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2020 5:11 AM

I have friends who live in PS and I myself get out there 3-4x a year. It's a very quiet lifestyle and the town is relatively small, especially in the gay world. Plenty of shopping and dining out, and lots of time for the pool, tennis, and golf. I've thought about moving out there several times and have decided that for now I enjoy visiting more than being a resident. I'm sure I'll end up retiring there.

Speaking of retirement communities, the old Riviera resort in PS is morphing into a Margaritaville resort. No doubt a Margaritaville retirement community will follow if the resort does well. (For all that can be said about Parrotheads, the brand is very recognizable and has a cult following.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2020 6:36 AM

Margaritaville? Ew.

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2020 6:46 AM

Caftans & casseroles!

by Anonymousreply 35September 28, 2020 6:50 AM

Buy a good generator for when there are brown or black outs. Seriously. I passed out during a brown out one summer.

by Anonymousreply 36September 28, 2020 6:53 AM

I live in PS

It's the land of broken toys.

Moneyed or not a certain type of gay moves to the desert.

There are nice people, just choose your friends wisely.

Some crazy shit goes on up in here

by Anonymousreply 37September 28, 2020 9:00 AM

[quote]a certain type of gay moves to the desert.

Intriguing.

[quote]Some crazy shit goes on up in here

What does that mean, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 38September 28, 2020 9:50 AM

What's a brown out? Toilets?

by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2020 9:51 AM

I went down a Palm Springs road on the internet the other night. It looks fun to me, I'd love to visit. The mid-century buildings.. I like knowing there's places a gay could have a nice social retirement if they choose it. R30 and R33 make it sound nice

by Anonymousreply 40September 28, 2020 2:16 PM

It is lovely, R40.

I am going into this with my eyes wide open. It is not the most exciting place in the world but there's enough to do nice local things and you have San Diego and LA within a few hours if one needs a higher density of civilization.

There are fun midcentury buildings, though I think their numbers are a bit overstated.

by Anonymousreply 41September 28, 2020 3:07 PM

i'm from the MIdwest and i just love the setting. The mountains ,the the palm, the lush, colorful landscaping all seems magcial esp in the dead of winter. and all the gays working in the stores and such seem so friendly. (im not sore on the eyes)

by Anonymousreply 42September 28, 2020 3:24 PM

Just stay away from Desert Hot Springs. *shudder*

It's dirt-cheap for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 43September 28, 2020 3:25 PM

It's all built on indigenous people's land.

by Anonymousreply 44September 28, 2020 3:36 PM

R44 yeah its not a good place to "hand down" property to next genrations. I went in knowing this is a one shot deal and figure i will i live about as long as my land lease.

by Anonymousreply 45September 28, 2020 3:39 PM

Brown everywhere. I crave the lush green of the northeast after a month or so there. Mountains are pretty and dramatic to look at. But the endless expanse of brown wears thin for someone who loves the countryside.

by Anonymousreply 46September 28, 2020 3:43 PM

It's built practically right on top of the San Andreas Fault.

by Anonymousreply 47September 28, 2020 3:44 PM

OP - do you already have a home or apartment picked out? Because there are a lot of things to consider - even within the small area of Palm Springs.

R46 - it's not brown everywhere. Phoenix is - but there's a lot of greenery in Palm Springs. Sure the mountains aren't green as it is a desert.

by Anonymousreply 48September 28, 2020 3:50 PM

I read here on Datalounge that there are weird small towns around PS that people would drive through and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 49September 28, 2020 3:53 PM

Yes the rain as one said upthread. The winters bring rain. They are a horrible five day event. Not all at once. Just five days of a slight sprinkle on three days spread over the months of November till April. Then two horrible days of rain of vast amounts measured in the 10ths of an inch the other two.

We ae now in over 160 days of no rain. It is never cloudy here in the summer, rarely in the winter. There are no thunderstorms. There was one in September 2017 when I moved here. None since. Palm Springs itself is virtually windless. The people that settled the place picked the place because of the huge mountain next to it protecting it. Phoenix is cloudier, rainier and colder than PS.

The mountains block the majority of the clouds that come off the coast. You can watch them hang up on the mountain ridges, unable to get over to the desert side.

by Anonymousreply 50September 28, 2020 3:54 PM

R49 - that's up in the high desert - about an hour away. I also wouldn't go to Slab City - but it is by no means close to Palm Springs or something you would stumble over.

by Anonymousreply 51September 28, 2020 3:56 PM

R50- windless? You must not live on the north side. The windmills are iconic - and they are there for a reason. PS itself doesn't get too much, but there's a gentle warm breeze typically and sometimes the wind will drift down from the pass and we can get strong gusts.

And you are forgetting the thunderstorm of Feb 14, 2019.

I'll agree with you that it is sunny - 350 days of the year. And not many clouds ever. I can't wait for it to rain again.

by Anonymousreply 52September 28, 2020 3:59 PM

R50, That sounds like heaven to me. I have weather anxiety after living in an area with horrific thunderstorms, hail, winds and tornadoes. I hate it. It's my dream to live in a place like Palm Springs that has none of that.

by Anonymousreply 53September 28, 2020 4:28 PM

R53 - PS doesn't get too much of any weather other than sunny and relatively cloudless. Now, the heat in July and August gets old. And September so far this year has been warmer than usual - I want it to end. No sugarcoating it - it is hot and, even though it is dry, I get sick of it.

I highly recommend getting a sublet in some other city during the summer. You can easily escape to the beach and colder climates, but it's best just to get out altogether.

I'm not doing another PS summer if I can avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 54September 28, 2020 4:34 PM

Sometimes when I can't sleep I go on Zillow and see which Palm Springs houses have gay owners.

It's not too hard and there are a lot of them

by Anonymousreply 55September 28, 2020 4:39 PM

Well when you have a radio station called KGAY (which is really great, btw) - it speaks to how many mos there are.

I disagree with R8 - hotels, once they were able to open up again, are doing pretty well. We've had a lot more tourists the past 2 months than normal. AirBnB rentals are doing extremely well and the real estate market is way up. Houses are selling very quickly - we just sold a spare condo in 4 days.

Yes, we most likely won't get the Canadian snowbirds, but I think there's going to be a lot more domestic and local visitors this season if the summer was any indication. The restaurants with no outdoor seating are really going to feel a hit. But we can eat outdoors almost every day here - but with some heaters in the evening.

Surprisingly, some airlines have expanded their flight schedule to PS this year. We don't know how it's going to pan out yet - COVID is definitely going to have an impact. Some bars and restaurants are definitely going to go under. But it's shocking how packed downtown has been on weekends the past 2 months - it's hot AF and usually the down season.

There's going to be some winners and losers in the tourism industry. I think the hotels are going to be fine - and I know several people who rent out homes on AirBnB. They are booked SOLID through April. These aren't cheap places - they range from $500 to $900 per night.

But Americans can't travel internationally or don't want to go on long flights, so I'm thinking it's going to be West Coast and Midwesterners this year. The Canadian snowbird rentals may be picked up by others.

by Anonymousreply 56September 28, 2020 5:01 PM

OK ... what would you suggest if you were I ... I'm 68, no heirs, own two homes (one is a rental). Both in California. I live in the LA area. I really detest hot weather. (It's too hot where I live right now.) But Palm Springs is such an ideal destination in other ways. (I've visited many times over the years.) And I'm sure it would be great in the winter. The problem is that if I keep my current house, I'll have two houses in places that are too hot. And maintaining two houses seems like a lot of trouble. So ... maybe move to the PS area and travel or rent elsewhere during the summer?

That said, I'm not a super-sociable gay, so I don't think I'd want to be in a condo community. I'm thinking a single-family home with a pool (private, of course!) would be nice. Am I too old for that to make sense? I could probably afford anything under a million ... Thoughts on areas, things to look for, things to avoid?

by Anonymousreply 57September 28, 2020 6:11 PM

What is the rental market like in PS? I'm considering a 1-2 bedroom as a getaway from the east coast during winter.

Do they exist and, if so, how much for a tidy apartment?

by Anonymousreply 58September 28, 2020 6:26 PM

R57 - here are my personal tips on living in Palm Springs:

1) Avoid the northern end (above Vista Chino or even the hospital) - the winds, when they do come down from the pass, are frequent and annoying as hell. Plus, there's not as much to do up there.

2) Get a house with a swamp cooler. It's 1/5th the price of air conditioning and can cool the house very well up to around 108-110 degrees.

3) Do not get a house with a south-facing view. Everyone learns that south views are the best because of the sun and light. Sun and light are not an issue here - it's sunny 350 days a year. Sun becomes your enemy and it sucks to have it beaming into your place all day.

4) Avoid flight paths of the airport. This goes without saying, but during peak season it's an annoyance.

5) Get a house with a pool. And you need to be mindful of where the pool sits and how much sun it gets. The sun can warm it for free in many months, but it can be an enemy during the summer. You'll need to get some shade for the pool - umbrellas or large sun shades that hang over the pool.

6) Buy a house with rental potential. There's enough demand and houses with pools rent quickly and for high prices. The downside is that PS has EXTREMELY strict noise laws, while most guests think "Palm Springs Pool Party!!" . A hard NO on that. PS does not want the residential areas to be party pads and it is no joke about fines.

That's about it. I'm sure others have more to add.

by Anonymousreply 59September 28, 2020 6:29 PM

R58 - furnished or unfurnished?

1 BRs go from $1200-$1500. 2 BRs around $2000 for a nice place. Unfurnished - and that's on the higher side. You can get 3 month and 6 month leases

There are quite a few apartments available now I believe - some of the service jobs have hit people hard so they've moved on or back in with their folks.

Of course, there are many cheaper apts but they're not as nice.

by Anonymousreply 60September 28, 2020 6:35 PM

My college roommate and his husband and there little group of friends have all bought places there. We have visited and I find the people there to be about as interesting as a loaf of moldy bread. It reminds of Fort Lauderdale and Wilton Manors. Lots of eldergays with serious drinking and drug probes, with the usual flock of younger gays looking for sugar daddies. Depressing to be around for any length of time.!

by Anonymousreply 61September 28, 2020 6:41 PM

R61 - I used to go to Wilton Manors a lot before moving to PS part-time. I don't think they are alike at all. Average age of PS residents is 46, it's 51 for Wilton Manors.

You definitely get younger guys from all over S. Florida in Wilton Manors, but the housing stock sucks, it's humid, lots of trashy Floridians, sea rise, and it's ugly.

I don't think you can judge the gay scene purely from a night out on Arenas (where most PS gay bars are). And - newsflash - the gay community in general has a problem with drugs and alcohol. Everywhere you go. We like to party.

by Anonymousreply 62September 28, 2020 6:48 PM

R59 is correct but I would add:

Palm Springs is still somewhat affordable if you're looking for a small place, townhouse, small apartment or condo. Single family homes in the more livable areas of Palm Springs, however, are not always affordable.

We bought in Cathedral City not far from the Palm Springs border and paid almost a fifth less for our place. It's a nice area, but yes some areas of CC are less shiny than others. Rancho Mirage is nice but very pricey. Palm Desert is nice but very suburban and more Republican.

by Anonymousreply 63September 28, 2020 7:10 PM

R63 - I agree, condos are very reasonable - even cheap by many standards. But the prices have gone up a LOT in the past 6 months.

Single family homes in PS are going to be close to 1 million, but some 'bargains' can be had for 600-700K.

I believe Cathedral City (South of Ramon) is going to go through a major renovation in the next 20 years. It's too prime of real estate. Of course some queens will look down on it as it is very middle class and has some poor areas. But if you buy in the right area, I think you can get a bargain and it will definitely increase in value.

For me, there's no point in living past Cathedral City. I only go to RM, PS or LaQuinta for occasional shopping or for an event (McCallum theater). It's got nothing to offer gays IMO.

by Anonymousreply 64September 28, 2020 7:17 PM

Is there any easy way to get from LAX to Palm Springs using public transportation?

by Anonymousreply 65September 28, 2020 7:18 PM

R65 - Flix Bus. It can cost $20 on average. Goes from Union Station and drops off at the hospital. Never taken it, but I want to try it. It also uses HOV lanes, so I've read it can get there pretty fast - under 2 hours - which is fast with LA traffic.

Now from LAX? I don't know about that.

by Anonymousreply 66September 28, 2020 7:23 PM

A friend bought in the historic tennis club at the end of a cul de sac and they only paid something like $1.2M. The mountains were like right there! Prices seemed a lot more reasonable than LA. I'm not a desert person so I wouldn't move there (like the poster above, I'm from the northeast and like the lush greenery and hills). But I thought the area was great. I like the restaurants. It felt very gay and gay-friendly. The nights when they close off the main street so you can stroll around was great, and I'm a big fan of old cars, which don't disintegrate like they do up here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2020 7:23 PM

R67 - that's a fabulous neighborhood. They got a great deal - I'm so jealous. That's where I would live if I had more money.

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2020 7:26 PM

R64 I like our plan in CC but it's close enough to PS that I didn't feel like there was a big difference.

My dream was to live in Deepwell Estates or Twin Palms, but even a standard 1200 sqf house in Twin Palms is a mil or more these days, and most Deepwell houses are larger and therefore more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 69September 28, 2020 7:28 PM

R68, Definitely a good neighborhood like you said. The house has a separate garage/guest house and a (kinda small) pool. But the place was VERY 70s inside. I think they had to pour a bunch of cash into it to bring it into this century.

by Anonymousreply 70September 28, 2020 7:36 PM

R65 FLIXBUS on weekends. AmtraK runs a dial trip with odd hours

by Anonymousreply 71September 28, 2020 9:14 PM

It doesn't seem easy getting to LAX from Palm Springs on weekdays. Is there a van service? I goggled but didn't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 72September 28, 2020 9:23 PM

r71 - I looked up FlixBus and they've gutted the service since COVID. There's only 1 nightbus per day. I hope it comes back.

R72 - why wouldn't you fly into Palm Springs airport instead? LAX isn't close. Burbank and Ontario airports are closer - but not like PSP, which is an awesome outdoor airport.

by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2020 9:24 PM

I visited around 7 years ago. We had dinner at a trendy restaurant and it was packed with leering, oily eldergays dressed like they were in Miami Beach circa 1998. Extremely skeevy, garish vibe. David Lynch should really shoot some scenes there using locals as extras. Also within spitting distance of some truly depressing desert meth towns.

by Anonymousreply 74September 28, 2020 9:25 PM

Boutiqe Airlines once a day for $99!

by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2020 9:26 PM

I was actually thinking of living in PS and would want access to LAX is possible. The Palm Springs airport routes via SFO usually. There are not as many international flights there like LAX.

by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2020 9:41 PM

My friend bought Dorothy Lamour's old house in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 77September 28, 2020 9:42 PM

To get to PS from LAX, you could take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station, and then that FlixBus from their Vignes lot (across the street from Union Station) to PS.

by Anonymousreply 78September 28, 2020 9:48 PM

So hi to Ross Matthews for me.

by Anonymousreply 79September 28, 2020 9:54 PM

Looks like the is only one very late night Flixbus from PS to LA. Are there any other options?

by Anonymousreply 80September 28, 2020 9:55 PM

An automobile.

by Anonymousreply 81September 28, 2020 9:56 PM

Yeah, Flixbus schedule has been minimized to almost nothing.

You can fly from LAX to PSP or drive. Amtrak is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 82September 28, 2020 10:18 PM

There's an Amtrak train from L.A. three days a week.

by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2020 10:20 PM

I didn't realize there was a flight from PS to LAX. A very short one I think. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Frank Sinatra had a private jet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 28, 2020 10:28 PM

If you go to Palm Springs - head to Great Shakes! YUMMMMMMMY

by Anonymousreply 86September 28, 2020 10:59 PM

I could never live in PS or Wilton Manors - but I do love Hunters club. They have figured out the ideal and accepting eldergay nightclub thing perfectly. I make a trip to WM purely for Hunters - even though I hate the town.

by Anonymousreply 87September 28, 2020 11:02 PM

actually United Express flies to LAX, and now Boutique Airlines and also Delta is adding one trip

by Anonymousreply 88September 28, 2020 11:03 PM

[quote]My friend bought Dorothy Lamour's old house in Palm Springs.

So instead of caftans they wear sarongs with a hibiscus behind the ear instead of earrings?

by Anonymousreply 89September 28, 2020 11:08 PM

R86 do I know you? LOL

I recommend that place to everyone!

by Anonymousreply 90September 28, 2020 11:30 PM

r90 not sure but we love it - and the tiki restaurant there on the corner.

by Anonymousreply 91September 28, 2020 11:54 PM

First suggestion here is train to Fullerton, bus from there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 29, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote] Average age of PS residents is 46, it's 51 for Wilton Manors.

That is a world of difference. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 93September 29, 2020 1:16 AM

We bought a new house in PSP two years ago next month in west Baristo, close to downtown, furnished it, and started renting it out. I think it has been empty only for about ten weeks since then. We had spent a lot of time out there during the preceding years and the "scene" eldergays can be ... creepy? Too familiar? I don't know how to describe it, but I didn't want to spend much time socializing with them. That said, we developed some good friendships with other couples, one of whom checked in on our property for us.

Unfortunately, I don't think I want to retire to PSP. It is just so far to everything I like, like crowds, live entertainment, major league sports. Maybe that will change as we get closer to retirement age.

We ended up buying a single family residence because we really wanted new(er) construction and, if it were to be a condo, reasonable HOA fees. But the places we were interested in had HOA fees that were outrageous. The people who stay at the house are primarily northern Europeans (lots of Swedes and Germans) who stay a month or two at a time. Thus far, no major problems.

by Anonymousreply 94September 29, 2020 1:23 AM

R93 - I'm just saying - everyone has all these jokes about how old the gays (and all the residents) are in Palm Springs. The person said there were tons of eldergays and young guys looking for sugar daddies.

I don't see the sugar daddy thing at all. Yes, there are older people but it's not THAT bad.

And as you get older, it's refreshing to go into a gay bar and not be the oldest person in the room. I started to feel weird/old going to gay bars when I was 40 in other cities.

by Anonymousreply 95September 29, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]I started to feel weird/old going to gay bars when I was 40.

Mmmmmm, chicken.

by Anonymousreply 96September 29, 2020 1:30 AM

Does Barry Manilow still live up on the hilltop? I think Suzanne Somers lived next door, but sold a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 97September 29, 2020 1:45 AM

The Berlin patient is there and very ill now.

by Anonymousreply 98September 29, 2020 1:50 AM

You can drive to Riverside or San Bernardino and take Metrolink to Union Station. Flyaway Bus or subway/light rail to LAX from there.

by Anonymousreply 99September 29, 2020 2:26 AM

Palm Springs is so overrated I prefer the Salton Sea. That is a world class Mecca!

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Tourism has seemed to rebound shockingly - still won't make up for the cancellation of Coachella or the major tennis tournament. I guess a lot of people who would've traveled abroad came to Palm Springs as an alternative. The domestic tourist spots like Lake Tahoe and Big Bear have had very busy summers, too. I wonder how Catalina is doing?

by Anonymousreply 101September 29, 2020 2:33 AM

So DON’T live there, R14, during summer season or anytime consistently over 100 degrees. That’s what money is for - at least two homes. If you’re going to buy in PS, have enough money for two seasonal nice homes.

by Anonymousreply 102September 29, 2020 2:33 AM

R101 - exactly. I was in Tahoe in August and it was a zoo. Sooo crowded. I went to Catalina in early July - good crowd, but slow. It's not very big to begin with and take away the bars and it's rather pedestrian - excuse the pun. But a lot of the 'local' CA destinations have been very busy due to COVID and most people wanting to stay within 300-500 miles.

R102 - you don't really need 2 homes. You can sublet an apartment for a summer (lots of students / faculty who go away for a few months) or rent a place in Northern Baja for cheap.

But yes, I would budget for summer getaways.

by Anonymousreply 103September 29, 2020 2:40 AM

R102 i find anything under 110 tolerable

by Anonymousreply 104September 29, 2020 3:10 AM

Sun City with butt plugs.

by Anonymousreply 105September 29, 2020 3:23 AM

[Quote]That’s what money is for

What money is that? Are you giving me the money to own multiple homes? Thanks love!

by Anonymousreply 106September 29, 2020 3:23 AM

Desert Hot Springs and the likes are where the Poors live

by Anonymousreply 107September 29, 2020 3:34 AM

The summers may be hot in Palm Springs, but every state in the south and southwest has temps in the high 90s-100 during the summer months. At least it's a dry heat in PS, unlike the southern states.

It's always a trade-off no matter where you live. Even It's wonderful in New England during the summer, but the winters are brutal. I'd much rather endure 2 months of heat in PS than face a depressing and frigid winter up north.

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2020 3:49 AM

"It's a dry heat!"

SO'S AN OVEN, BITCH, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I WANNA GET INSIDE

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2020 3:51 AM

The average during the summer in Palm Springs is north of 105. I grew up in the South and the average high was around 90.

There is no getting around it. Summers in Palm Springs are brutally hot.

by Anonymousreply 110September 29, 2020 3:56 AM

The weather here is so much better up in Northern Manitoba. It’s just so crisp! I still walk around naked up here. It’s wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 111September 29, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote] R102] i find anything under 110 tolerable

Once it hits 105 I’m outta there and back to northern Minnesota for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 112September 29, 2020 4:15 AM

[quote] I'd much rather endure 2 months of heat in PS than face a depressing and frigid winter up north.

It may have been two months 20 years ago, but now it's more like five or six.

by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2020 4:15 AM

It's only 3ish months that are utterly unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2020 4:22 AM

R97, Suzanne and Barry are still neighbours as far as I know. She put her estate up for auction, but then yanked it when no one was bidding. This is what I heard, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 115September 29, 2020 4:27 AM

Triple digit temps in August this year.

That's not going to change for the better in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 29, 2020 4:33 AM

It’s 100 in Marin County today. It’s hot everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 117September 29, 2020 4:52 AM

Tourism exploded in Palm Springs the minute people found out the COVID outbreaks in SoCal were tied with indoor crowds and the kids were homeschooling. Everyone wanted a house with a pool for the kids. I was looking in July/July to rent something to get out of LA myself and the priced were insane and/or completely booked. Everyone who was local was saying that they had never seen anything like it for the off season. PSP real estate has shot through the roof. I stayed at a little gay BNB off of San Ramon and all there were a tone of "sold signs" in the yards and I saw a few gay couples moving in (late 40's/50's). They've also really developed Palm Canyon over the last few years with more high end shops and dining. If you want to get something hovering around a million with a pool, you need buy sooner than later. I love the houses around Santiago, Triangle Inn, etc. After being stuck inside all the time or feeling everyone's anxiety in LA, just being able to walk down the street with no shirt on, no mask b/c there is tons of space in residential areas was awesome. I see why everyone is fleeing there for now.

Whoever said there are a lot of eldergays with younger guys is totally right.I definitely see that a lot, but thats everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 118September 29, 2020 5:19 AM

R115 - Suzanne moved to a smaller home in Las Palmas. I have no idea what she did with that disjointed mess of a house.

R118 - I used to live right across the street from Triangle Inn at Residenza San Lorenzo Condo Hotel. There are beautiful homes in Deepwell Estates, but they're not cheap.

I don't know how to explain a dry heat to people who have never experienced it - but it's so much different than Southern US humidity. I'm not saying it doesn't get old, but it's more bearable than sticky and hot - even at 110.

Now, September has been above average practically the whole month and it sucks. It shouldn't still be 108, but that's Oct. 1st forecast. Hopefully it will go down in the next 10 days, but being stuck home with COVID and it being very hot has made it an absolutely miserable summer for me.

This is my last PS summer if I can help it. It's about to get glorious, but the isolating COVID summer here sucked ass. Maybe because there were no diversions except grocery shopping and eating outside at a restaurant every now and again.

by Anonymousreply 119September 29, 2020 1:53 PM

[quote] But a lot of the 'local' CA destinations have been very busy due to COVID and most people wanting to stay within 300-500 miles.

Off locale, but same thing in Ptown. It was surprisingly busy in September. No one can go abroad and strolling Commercial Street is outside.

by Anonymousreply 120September 29, 2020 8:09 PM

R120 - I think most 2nd home people who were crying over the 3 first months of the pandemic are quiet mouses now. Their bookings are higher than they've ever been - and at higher rates.

Some asshole on the board was crying about how his parents' 2nd house may not rent last summer. Well, they're not complaining now!

by Anonymousreply 121September 30, 2020 5:35 AM

Where does one shop?

Eat?

Go to cafes?

by Anonymousreply 122October 1, 2020 12:32 PM

On Palm Canyon/Indian Canyon - it's like the downtown of Palm Springs. There are tons of dining, cafes, little shops

by Anonymousreply 123October 2, 2020 3:51 AM

Here ladies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 2, 2020 3:54 AM

I've been in Palm Springs for 5 years.

What I've noticed is a major increase in the days that are humid PLUS stifling temperatures.

This has increased over the years I've been here but, this summer was the worst.

I will once again heed my warning.

Eldergay or twink. Moneyed or not.

PS attracts the broken toys IE the crazies.

Know this. Use discernment, and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 125October 5, 2020 7:50 AM

[quote]I've been in Palm Springs for 5 years.

So, what's crazy or broken about you?

by Anonymousreply 126October 5, 2020 2:43 PM

R125 - I agree with your second paragraph. I've thought about moving to Palm Springs, but not until I've given up on all my dreams and aspirations. I've said that if I move to Palm Springs under 50, it means that I have given up on life.

by Anonymousreply 127October 6, 2020 2:17 AM

R26

I didn't exclude myself, and enough that I come to this site for information and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 128October 6, 2020 4:43 AM

"PS attracts the broken toys IE the crazies."

If that's the case why do we have all you people from the coast over here every weekend? Love the toys?

by Anonymousreply 129October 6, 2020 4:45 AM

I don't know what crowd R125 runs in, but I don't see anything different here than other gay populations. Except, obviously, it skews older. And more monied - although there are a lot of middle class guys too.

And yeah - this summer (and fall so far) has kicked my ass. We've had more over 100 degree days this year than ever - I think we're on track for 140.

It's been miserable - but temps are coming down in a few days and will most likely stay that way. It sucked - and made 10x worse with COVID lockdowns and 2020's bullshit - fires, Trump, protests, etc.

95 is going to feel chilly!

by Anonymousreply 130October 6, 2020 4:55 AM

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Reopening!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 8, 2020 11:21 PM

I am so jealous. I am sick of living

by Anonymousreply 132October 8, 2020 11:38 PM

Are there a lot of snakes around PS? I'm terrified of rattlesnakes, especially.

by Anonymousreply 133October 9, 2020 7:29 AM

R33 Just the aging vicious queenz, that I mentioned in the broken toys post

PS is not a hotbed of mental-health.

Heed my warning!

by Anonymousreply 134October 9, 2020 8:32 AM

For the record, Palm Springs has never hit 130 F. Death Valley did this past August 16th. The highest temperature recorded in Palm Springs was 123, nack in 1995. This is not to imply, though, that Palm Springs isn't hot. It is blazingly hot for half the year. It did get to 121 this summer.

by Anonymousreply 135October 9, 2020 9:01 AM

R135 I was in PS when it hit 123. There was a brown out. I wonder if it was that particular day. I was in LaQuinta at a golf tournament. 2 players nearly died that afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 136October 14, 2020 10:26 PM

R23

Amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2020 5:30 AM

What do you even do when it’s 120 degrees. Serious question.

Or 110 for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2020 5:37 AM

I've never been there but I'd love to visit.

Recently a woman I know said she sold her second home in Palm Springs because her 20-something children aren't interested because it's filled with "gays and grays."

She said it was a fabulous mid century home but that it's getting so hot people only go out in early mornings or in the evening when it's cooler, and they hide inside during the day.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2020 5:42 AM

I think someone would have to enjoy being inside to live there, r139.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2020 5:50 AM

"What do you even do when it’s 120 degrees. Serious question.

Or 110 for that matter."

I asked that question of a person in PS and his answer was," What do you do at home when it's 0 degrees and snowing? You stay inside."

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2020 12:03 PM

I'm glad I found this thread - I am moving Temporarily (?) to Palm Springs in February - from NYC. My friends have a second home (condo) there they are not using that much, and they don't want to rent to strangers. It is in between my parents and LA and San Diego, where we have friends.

We are in our 40s. We have probably more straight friends than gay. We don't do and have no interest in drugs, so we're not worried about falling in with a bad crowd.

We are planning to bump up to a cooler-climate area for summer (the mountains or the beach) so we are not worried about that. We think the fresh air(yeah, I know that is questionable - but when you live in NYC almost anything is warmer and fresher, except maybe San Francisco) and trails will be good for us to get outside, safely, and get exercise.

My big question, for the PS dwellers, is -

- what is there to do now, during coving - and after - what should we we (post-vaccines) where we can meet nice, fun, bitchy but not crazy, people, gay or straight, who don't do drugs or want to engage in orgies, etc? FWIW, we are not religious and have no interest in "joining" any kind of church - even if it means meeting people? No disrespect to anyone that is religious. We just each have our own reasons for not wanting to be involved in religion.

We have lived in SoCal and really liked it, made a lot of friends through work and other friends. We lived in TX and had a mixed experience, but actually found some great friends (mostly not originally from TX lol) and found NYC to be a mixed bag. We have a lot of acquaintances in NYC but, even after 10 years, not a lot of what I would say are close friends. There may be a myriad of reasons for that, including our age and the area we live in. By comparison, i used to visit my bestie in NYC in the 90s and 2000s. He lived in LES and then Chelsea and knew a ton of people. However, this was at a time before the internet and when there were small hangout places like Big Cup. He left NYC 8 years ago, funny enough, citing how much it had changed, and become 'unfriendly and corporate'.

We have no idea what to expect from PS. And we have no idea how long we will be there - a year - two? forever? a second home and a home base elsewhere. 2020 has changed so many rules we don't even know if it is worth planning more than 6 months out.

Appreciate any (real) suggestions from locals -

Thanks and XO

by Anonymousreply 142January 2, 2021 11:41 PM

Even tho it's too hot for me, I really like Palm Springs. I have friends there and when I visit I always have a good time. They bought a sprawling place in the Historic Tennis Club area (for only $1.2M !) a few years ago where the mountain is like RIGHT there, amazing. We get up, take our coffees outside when it's still cool and plan the day. I like the restaurants and the being surrounded by gay and gay-friendly people. There's something charmingly retro about PS and I like how they close down the main drag on Thurs nights so you can just walk around and have fun instead of being in the car all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 2, 2021 11:54 PM

Not crazy about the architecture and the landscape (tend to like being near coastal areas), but there is something magical about Palm Springs, esp. after dark. People skew older and maybe a little weird but in a way it's kind of like a West Coast Provincetown in terms of being gay-friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 3, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote]Some gays can be a bit uppity, but they tend to be interior designers

Oh honey!

by Anonymousreply 145January 3, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote]Sun City with butt plugs.

I'm hysterical!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 146January 3, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote]We are in our 40s.

Oh, boy-- CHICKEN!

by Anonymousreply 147January 3, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote] R44, yeah its not a good place to "hand down" property to next genrations. I went in knowing this is a one shot deal and figure i will i live about as long as my land lease.

What? There are land leases in Palm Springs?

by Anonymousreply 148January 3, 2021 12:56 AM

We have a condo rented from 15-JAN thru 30-APR and plan to drive from Portland. We are sure when we are leaving due to the virus. It's pretty bad in southern CA.

by Anonymousreply 149January 3, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]What? There are land leases in Palm Springs?

A lot of the Coachella Valley is Indian tribal land and has to be rented (long-term) from the tribe.

by Anonymousreply 150January 3, 2021 1:25 AM

If you don't already play, learn to play golf. PS and the surrounding communities are golfing heaven.

by Anonymousreply 151January 3, 2021 7:27 AM

R149 you should stay in Portland

by Anonymousreply 152January 3, 2021 11:51 AM

R151 is golf fairly easy to learn to play?

by Anonymousreply 153January 3, 2021 3:41 PM

PS sounds dreary. Eccentrics and crazies. Spending all your time seeking a/c much of the year. No mention of anything that could be considered remotely cultural. No real outdoor activities (I don't count golf). Hours to anyplace with stuff to do---a shuttle plane is faster than a land vehicle, but the process still takes plenty of time and it means you can't fly direct to anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 154January 3, 2021 4:11 PM

No outdoor activities? You are delusional. I've visited for weekends many times. There are tons of places to hike, ride horses (if that is your thing). You can take an easy day trip to Idyllwild, Joshua Tree, etc. FWIF there are meth heads in ALL parts of CA. Take a stroll through WeHo - it's full of drugged out twinks who are smoking and pilling their way out of their looks, real fast.

by Anonymousreply 155January 3, 2021 4:42 PM

R154 you sound dreary

by Anonymousreply 156January 3, 2021 4:49 PM

R153 Yes and no. It drives the best of pro athletes crazy, but also the every day jock. It is rare to master the sport. I've played for many years. Some days I'm great and then the next time I go out and play a round I suck. If you have never played, ask around and find a great teaching pro. Do not let anyone else near you, they will fuck up your head, I'm dead serious. Take private lessons. You can be older, somewhat out of shape, etc and still excel at golf. It is a game you can play your whole life. Of all the professional athletes I have played with, hockey and baseball players seem to take to the sport the best. It baffles the best of pro athletes though. They may be great at several sports but becoming great at golf will elude them. So go find a pro you like and never listen to anyone else. You'll thank me later.

by Anonymousreply 157January 4, 2021 7:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!