Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher — 9/25/2020

I searched. Didn’t find anything recent. Don’t blame me if this is duplicative, please.

I disagree with Bill Maher MUCH more than I agree with him these days. He usually infuriates me. But last night he spoke with Bernie Sanders and Maher was entirely correct, and Sanders is fucking out of his goddamned mind.

Did anyone watch this?

One thing Maher has pushed longer than almost anyone is that Trump is too proud and power hungry to leave office if he loses. One thing that bugs me about Maher’s telling of this story is that he always assumes the election will be fair and that Russia and other agents will not interfere on Trump’s behalf. But that aside, Maher asks a lot of people what to do if Trump loses and mobilizes federal security measures as commander-in-chief to stay in office and finalize his coup. No one ever has answers.

Sanders went a step beyond not having answers: he told Maher that it is too early to worry about this. (????!!!!!!) Before that, he gave a blathering rhetorical spiel about democratic values and the power of the people. Maher pressed him for the “how,” and Sanders said “it’s too early, but we’ll figure it out if we need to.” FUCK BERNIE SANDERS. I am irate. I don’t think I will ever see him as anything but a naive, disorganized old idealist who is all about the what and too shortsighted or too limited to even bother with the how.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2020 5:52 PM

Meanwhile, Nina Turner just got a new job working as a lobbyist!!

His supporters are such phonies.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2020 3:55 PM

Sanders and his ilk have no idea how to really achieve anything they talk about. It isn't really any different than the huckster Trump continually telling us that his health plan will be better and cheaper. It isn't possible but he knows people are too stupid to get it. Likewise, Sanders knows he can't pay for anything he brings up, but he conveniently leaves that out.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2020 3:59 PM

I agree with Maher. He's correct 99% of the time. Americans just hate the truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2020 3:59 PM

^^^^ See 3:35 min at the link. THE FUCKING TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2020 4:02 PM

Oh, do fuck off. No one watches this shit.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2020 4:04 PM

Thanks, Vlad/r5!

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2020 4:05 PM

He is all talk. Someone I know who works on the Hill absolutely despises him—or his run for office, anyway—because he is best known on the Hill for not accomplishing anything. His supporters say that he hasn’t gotten legislation through because he is too principled to compromise, but he is part of a 100-member senate, effectively a giant committee of people, and committees work only by compromise. He does not participate in reality.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2020 4:06 PM

What are you babbling about r7?

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2020 4:07 PM

Sorry, r7. Now I see it's Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2020 4:10 PM

Bernie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2020 4:10 PM

What is Nina Turner lobbying for? I know people who lobby for public education, and they are not rich, they don’t get any kind of kickback, etc., and they’re really committed to protecting educational access and quality. All lobbyists are not the same, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2020 4:11 PM

Maher is still occasionally amusing.... but less and less as he gets older. Remember Dennis Miller? Use to be funny and morphed in time into a crackpot, bitter, right wing extremist? Maher is on that track... Old and cranky get-off-my-lawn stoned boomer.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2020 4:13 PM

Sanders and others like him are incapable of actual governing. They thrive on being contrarian.

They exist to shoot flaming arrows into covered wagons, but always duck back into the hills.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2020 4:15 PM

The thing is if you are showing your cards (aka plans for how to deal with Trump) Trump and his associates will prepare for what you've prepared.

I mean just look what Trump does all this time he throws everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink at the wall. If he wins the election wasn't rigged, if he loses the Deep State rigged the election. It's him trying to control the narrative, favoring him, early on.

The best attack is one he doesn't expect.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2020 4:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2020 4:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2020 4:22 PM

[quote] The thing is if you are showing your cards (aka plans for how to deal with Trump) Trump and his associates will prepare for what you've prepared.

Just look at what happened with the mail in voting. Once Liberals encouraged voters to use absentee ballots instead of in person voting. Trump and his associates came after mail in voting hard. And even put the most devious Trump lackey in charge of USPS. Of course, something like that couldn't be kept hidden from Trump long enough to catch him by surprise at election day.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2020 4:23 PM

R12 That is how I see Bill Maher now most of the time. I don’t think he is funny. I try to fast forward through his monologue every week but either Comcast or HBO has somehow set the show so that when I advance it barely, it jumps to halfway through the show. So I either skip the first half or turn on the monologue and do some chore until it’s over. He has such a sour delivery. He complains at the audience when they don’t laugh at his bad jokes. When he didn’t have an audience because of the pandemic, he complained that the jokes didn’t work without an audience. He just seems like a real asshole to me, and very backward at this point.

He settled on singling out Muslim people as condemnable and just accept evil American evangelical Christians despite early on condemning all religion. He considers holding people accountable for their words to be cancel culture and rails against it, and so he comes across as hypocritical when he chooses to demand that some people be held accountable or even ‘canceled’ but not others. He made Ann Coulter famous and made Maureen Dowd more famous. He loved Milo Yiannopoulos and then hypocritically claimed he deserves credit for his downfall, which made no sense. He still thinks it’s 1970 and smoking pot is dangerous and edgy. He’s a cranky old man who thinks he’s progressive as he regresses more and more into conservatism each year. Once upon a time, he insisted on pushing an environmental agenda and practically attacked people for thinking environmental stewardship was some New Agey thing and at some point he totally abandoned his commitment to that.

Still, he was right in this debate with Sanders and the exchange really showed how inept and out of touch Sanders is.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2020 4:23 PM

R14 I think there is truth to that, but I am also convinced Bernie Sanders has a hand of jokers. You’re right, but that doesn’t mean that that is the reason Sanders is clueless.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 4:24 PM

I have told this before. I went to see Maher at a couple of his daring red state small town appearances. One time, my date and I got mistakenly admitted to the accompanying donor event. It was refreshing to talk to people in bum fuck Alabama and Georgia with brains.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2020 4:25 PM

Again, Maher is correct 99% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2020 4:25 PM

[Quote] He settled on singling out Muslim people as condemnable and just accept evil American evangelical Christians despite early on condemning all religion.

Thanks for spilling your agenda, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2020 4:27 PM

R20 My sister was visiting her in-laws in South Carolina last year and saw his standup show there. She also fast-forwards through his monologue on HBO, but she said his standup was very funny and that he looked a lot less ugly in person than he does on TV.

Still. Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2020 4:32 PM

I stopped watching him ages ago. He’s a cranky old man. If he’d had kids, which he doesn’t because he hates kids, they’d tell him to lighten up or go sit by himself yelling at the tv while the rest of the family has some fun.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2020 4:40 PM

Thank God he is self-aware enough to know he dislikes kids and would be a terrible father. I suspect he also knows that looking at a little girl or boy with his features could build resentment over time.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2020 4:42 PM

He’s the one who gave Trump the idea not to leave the presidency. He’s been banging on about it since the day Trump was sworn in. Trump never would’ve been smart enough to think that up himself. Thanks a bunch, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2020 4:47 PM

R26 I have wondered the same, although it’s not a stretch and I feel like we would have ended up here with or without Maher’s projecting this.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2020 4:49 PM

The Democrats have a plan. They are not going to spell it out on a tv show which they know Trump watches.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2020 4:54 PM

I think we would have ended up here no matter what ideas anyone gave Trump. Trump knows he can't leave without facing possible jail time. He would probably be charged with RICO, tax fraud, and probably many other charges.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2020 4:55 PM

R13 NAILED IT.

Thank you R13.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2020 4:59 PM

I don't trust any government official who wants to abolish one program without presenting the better alternative he wants it to replace it with. There are plenty of instances from the conservative side (like, getting rid of Obamacare without any better alternative in the works), but unfortunately also examples on the Liberal side. Like in Great Britain with BREXIT.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2020 5:05 PM

[Quote] I think we would have ended up here no matter what ideas anyone gave Trump.

EXACLY! Morons now wanting to blame Maher for the bullshit Trump is.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2020 5:06 PM

Wow. That must really hurt Roger Stone, Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity like a gut punch. Trump got his ideas from Bill Maher and not from them.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2020 5:12 PM

Nina Turner's becoming a corporate lobbyist.

She's partnering with Amare, who is run by people who worked with George W. Bush on his campaigns.

What happened to the Iraq War being such a deal breaker? Guess that only applies if you're Hillary Clinton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] I think we would have ended up here no matter what ideas anyone gave Trump

I don’t believe so. Trump never wanted to be president and probably couldn’t wait to get out of office. But Maher presented it as “You’ll be a loser if you don’t get a second term. A failure.” I think Trump would’ve let it be known he wanted to get back to his business, where he could get away with murder without anyone noticing, near the end of his first term. But instead, he had the idea planted in his head that he could get away with stealing a second term, therefore he HAS TO do it. was like a challenge to him. “Can you do it? Can you get away with it? You have to! Everyone is waiting for you to do it. Go on, do it!”

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2020 5:38 PM

I don't get all this fear about Trump "mobilizing" security forces to keep himself quote-unquote "in power". The Secret Service can't keep him in power, the most they could do is enable him to physically stay in the WH a few weeks longer, but a Biden Administration could just set up shop in another nearby location and do business as usual. They don't need to physically be in the WH to begin their work.

In the rare event Trump might be able to mobilize military forces beyond the SS, the same principle applies. Trump can glue his fat ass in the WH, but no one in our government, or in foreign governments, has to talk to him or do business with him after Jan 20th. The military can't control the flow of Presidential business. A Dem-controlled House & (hopefully) Senate won't deal with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2020 5:58 PM

I can go along with that r35. But I don't think you can singularly assign it to BM. That piece of shit will do anything to keep his presidency for being recognized as the shit show that it is, especially compared to Obama's tenure. Say what you want about Nixon, I think if we handed tricky Dick a handgun, and he had the opportunity, he would take trump out.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2020 5:59 PM

Right after the election, he said he was being treated unfairly and he should get a 3rd term.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2020 8:55 PM

Agree r12

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2020 8:57 PM

[Quote] “You’ll be a loser if you don’t get a second term. A failure.”

Are you kidding? That exact statement has been said for decades! Bill didn't make that up? Where have you been?

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2020 9:04 PM

He's a grifter whore. I think he'll just hold out for a payoff and then leave. Somebody send him a check and then cancel it.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2020 9:10 PM

The show sucks now. The monologue is nihilistic and unfunny—like telling sinking ship jokes to entertain passengers on the Titanic.

The main interview is usually good and revealing, but the panel discussions are boring and seem to just be a premise to allow BM to make the same “I told ya so” statements over and over.

And the celebrity interviews are garbage. I thought the Jay Leno interviews were bad, but that Jim Belushi pot farm infomercial last night was useless and irrelevant. Total waste of time.

I do like his New Rules end monologues.

But generally speaking, it’s just not entertaining anymore. It feels like work.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2020 9:25 PM

"Real Time With Bill Maher" Renewed Through 2022 at HBO:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 28, 2020 8:41 PM

I'm sure Ann Coulter will be quite happy about the news at r43. She's basically his co-host.

by Anonymousreply 44September 28, 2020 8:52 PM

Awesome news r43!

by Anonymousreply 45September 28, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]Thanks, Vlad/[R5]!

I'm not R5 and I fucking hate Bill Maher's guts. WTF would anyone who does be called "Vlad" when people like him always treated the left as more of a threat than the right. it's assholes like him that allowed the right to get away with so much because he never treated them like the threat they were. He's a fucking douchebag who gives a platform to alt-right assholes but too gutless to be confronted with his own prejudice and invites no one from the left who will challenge him on his hypocrisy.

He's neocon trash. He's vote Republican if only they were pro-weed and pro-environment - that's all the selfish shit requires.

by Anonymousreply 46September 28, 2020 9:17 PM

it's assholes like him who*allowed

by Anonymousreply 47September 28, 2020 9:18 PM

Maher is part of the entertainment establishment. Has he ever even acknowledge that Putin gave Trump the win and it wasn't the Liberals' fault for being so darn elitist and refusing to listening what the Deplorables have to say? That was his main talking point after Trump was declared the winner of the election.

by Anonymousreply 48September 28, 2020 9:21 PM

R46/R47 is the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to understand the worthlessness of Bill Maher but through her. This combo thread of Maher butt-sucking and anti-Sanders psychosis is now closed.

by Anonymousreply 49September 28, 2020 9:24 PM

Thanks Vlads, r46/r47/r49!

by Anonymousreply 50September 29, 2020 3:18 PM

Sure, R50. I'm sure you got 11 "W&W" in 8 minutes for that tiresome response. You're a loser who liked your own comment multiple times. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 51September 29, 2020 3:27 PM

Thanks Vlad/r46/r47/51! Now go change your pus filled tampon, hon!

by Anonymousreply 52September 29, 2020 3:33 PM

Bernie couldn't answer the question because there *is* no answer. We are literally powerless to stop Trump from endlessly contesting the election or declaring the results illegitimate if he loses, even if the Supreme Court rules against him. Two weeks ago, Jane Fonda said we should "take to the streets" if the Republicans try to confirm a new justice before the election. I literally laughed out loud when she said that. We've been taking to the streets for 4 years for women's rights, black lives matter, gun control, the environment, and on and on. No one in the Republican party gives a flying fuck and we are literally powerless to stop them.

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2020 3:41 PM

“We've been taking to the streets for 4 years for women's rights, black lives matter, gun control, the environment, and on and on.”

No, this is wrong. There was an afternoon-long women’s march (one day in four years), an afternoon-long science march (one day in four years) and an afternoon-long antigun march (one day in four years). Nothing changed. Why would it? People got permits to assemble, made signs and knitted pink hats, and then for dinner and congratulated themselves with wine for being activists. Who is that supposed to compel to change anything?

Taking to the streets is what Puerto Ricans did when they learned how corrupt and vile their governor is. All day, every day. The governor waited them out. They did not go home. And then he fled.

A version of that happened in March. People assembled and some rioted. We found out authorities will use force to violate human rights and so protestors pushed back harder. THINGS CHANGED. Policies changed at corporations and organizations. And then immediately everyone went home and the change stopped and then regressed.

The problem we have is that American citizens are indoctrinates to be totally self-disempowered. They think acting like a group of Karens with pussy hats for ONE DAY will change the world and when it doesn’t, they think “nothing will work! We took to the streets and they didn’t even change the laws! Let’s open another bottle of sauvignon blanc! I can’t handle this cruel world!”

by Anonymousreply 54September 29, 2020 9:33 PM

watch the video at r3 over and over. it's true.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2020 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!