Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Trump the Most Hated Person in the World Right Now?

More than Putin? Erdogan? Kim Jong-Il? Taylor Swift?

I'd like to hear from non-Americans; DL'ers living on other continents. What others are possibly more hated than DJT?

Really, I'm just curious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 9, 2020 5:41 PM

I'm sure Boris will be along in a minute to nominate Angela Merkel or George Soros.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2020 1:22 AM

People are afraid to not vote for him, lest he hunt them down and ruin their lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2020 1:28 AM

The united states is the laughingstock of the world right now. To think he did it in less than 4 years. Every morning I wake up hoping he’s had a stroke and will be a vegetable for the rest of his life. What a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2020 1:41 AM

I was with OP until I saw that he included Taylor Swift in his list. Aside from that possibility, I'd say Trumpy wins.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2020 1:49 AM

No one is as poisonous as he. Single handedly brought Nazism back from under a rock in the US. Destroyed our health and economy. Sided and encouraged our enemies and despots. Has stolen millions if not billions from us, the American people. Thrown out our environmental regulations. Separated families at the boarder, children in cages, raped, killed, and forced sterilization. We are living in a Nazi plague state. No one else comes close.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2020 2:01 AM

It's amazing what a bubble some DLers live in. It reminds me of when Nixon won 49 states, and publisher Katharine Graham was shocked. Her famous quote: "I'm shocked. I don't know a single person who voted for him." Same thing with Trump. Almost half the country is going to vote for him , and DLers prattle on about him being "the most hated person, blah, blah, blah."

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2020 2:03 AM

^FUCK YOU

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2020 2:05 AM

No one else comes close.

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2020 2:08 AM

I don't know if people in other countries hate him because, honestly, he hasn't had much effect on people in those places. I think they watch on and horrified amusement, stunned that the great United States has been suckered by such an obvious con man.

My friends and family back in Canada now know far more about how the US government works than their own. My mother, who has a grade nine education and virtually zero interest in politics, was explaining to me today the process for nominating nominating a Supreme Court judge, and what the Democrats can legally do to stall the process. She is watching CNN obsessively. They know all of the players. My mother loves Nancy Pelosi.

The rest of the world looks at the United States like a car crash they can't keep their eyes off of.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2020 2:13 AM

I can only speak for Monte Carlo. The consensus is that he is fiscally incompetent, selfish and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2020 2:14 AM

Yes. Some of us have hated him vor a lonk time.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2020 2:23 AM

No nomination for Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor?

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2020 2:23 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2020 2:30 AM

R9 You're totally wrong. You forgot that your prez put tariffs on some allied countries? that he tried to buy some countries ? Insulted world leaders several times? Called some countries "shitholes" ??? The fact he is protecting Erdogan or Putin are horrible effects in many countries. I think you are not knowledgeable about the geopolitics to say such things. Your president has supported totalitarian countries. He also pacts Saudi Arabia and other dictatorships. It has impacts you can't even imagine. The world will never see America the same way again, even if Biden wins.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2020 2:39 AM

No, Markle is the most hated.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2020 3:25 AM

Trump's approval ratings overseas are TERRIBLE, he is even less popular outside the US than he is here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2020 3:31 AM

R4... OP here. Before posting this thread, I did a google search "Most hated person in the world".... and Taylor Swift's name came up... twice! lol So I felt I had to include her.

I have nothing against her personally. :)

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2020 3:43 AM

In defense of R6, I think he has a point. I live in a bubble! It's why I asked the question.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote]I don't know if people in other countries hate him because, honestly, he hasn't had much effect on people in those places.

Trump's every move is reported here and he's seen as an extremely dangerous man. Your reputation has been hugely damaged by him and now after Trump said he won't step down peacefully your country is being compared to Belarus. RBG's death was also big news and there's been speculation about Trump's Supreme Court nomination. These things matter because the US has in many ways been the leader of the free world. Now it looks like Trump has destroyed it all. Obviously pretty much all Western countries have their own troubles with right wingers so it's not like people don't understand how terrible your situation is.

That said it's my feeling that people generally think things will most probably return to a previous more normal state after Trump is kicked out and/or Democrats win the Senate. You can thank all your gods that you have Hollywood and the tv and music business. Those are the biggest reasons the US keeps being seen positively. BTW, Trump has tons of supporters in Europe, and as you can guess they all seem to be more or less extreme right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2020 3:50 AM

Trump and all his followers who vote against their interests like the stupid hateful ignorants they are.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2020 3:54 AM

What about my friend Julie? She's such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2020 3:55 AM

Watcha talking 'bout, Willis?

Don't you know I'm the next Nobel Peace Prize winner?

DJT

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2020 4:29 AM

What part of *the world* did you not understand, R6? Half the US is NOT *the world*. Trust me, outside the US, the fat orange fucker is hated by more people than not.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2020 4:32 AM

The United States has always supported totalitarian regimes, R14.

The United States has always put tariffs on countries, sometimes out of petty squabbles, r14. Look up Canada and softwood lumber.

A good chunk of the world has always seen the United States as a bully, r14.

Maybe you should go read a history book.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2020 4:37 AM

But I’m not voting against my best interests cause my only interest is stickin’ it to the libs!

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2020 4:54 AM

[quote] It's amazing what a bubble some DLers live in. It reminds me of when Nixon won 49 states, and publisher Katharine Graham was shocked. Her famous quote: "I'm shocked. I don't know a single person who voted for him." Same thing with Trump. Almost half the country is going to vote for him , and DLers prattle on about him being "the most hated person, blah, blah, blah."

49 states, eh? That’s what this reminds you of? 19% of Americans voted for Trump in 2016. That’s right: NINETEEN percent. He got like 25% of *eligible voters*. So, no, “almost half the country” is NOT going to vote for him, and he’s not coming anywhere close to what Nixon got.

And if you look outside YOUR bubble, R6, you’ll see he is loathed all around the world. A poll came out earlier this week or last illustrating how much he’s disliked and distrusted internationally. Which was the OP’s question: notice he didn’t ask “Is Trump the most hated person in America?” Your reply might have made a little more sense if he had.

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2020 5:18 AM

I certainly can't think of anyone I hate more!

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2020 5:36 AM

R9, I like your mother.

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2020 5:44 AM

Yes, Trump is the most despised, abhorred, hated, detested and abominated creature on earth right now and forever!!!

And R6 can eat Trump's shit and die for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2020 5:44 AM

Where I live you’re not an American if you’re not a Trumpster. I’d like to see a little more hate.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2020 5:46 AM

R22 It's spelled N-O-B-L-E

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2020 5:54 AM

Trump is going to lose the election, you willfully blind psycho @ r6.

The only reason the Trumpster Fire has supporters is because his class of rich scumbags keep Americans as poor, uneducated and inundated with Fake News as possible, then scapegoat social activists for the outsourced jobs and dwindling benefits the rich scumbags directed.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote]Trump and all his followers who vote against their interests like the stupid hateful ignorants they are.

And that has been exported. New Zealand has openly QAnon-believing, OAPP-streaming, MAGA-hatted, white-power Māori now. Watching one of my favourite uncles lose his fucking mind when the red carpet wasn't rolled out for Lauren Southern and Stefan Molyneux was the saddest, most cringeworthy thing I've ever experienced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2020 6:04 AM

^^OANN

by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2020 6:05 AM

I wish you all would stop picking on R6. Did any of you carefully read his post? I don't think he's a Trump supporter. I think he's just surrounded by too many Deplorables and is fed up. He's also fed up with those of us who think we have this election in the bag. We don't.

Yes, more than half the people in this country probably hate his guts! But unfortunately, he still has enough supporters who can continue to make our lives hell! It's fucking scary! And only makes me hate him even more!!

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2020 6:10 AM

President Xi from China for giving us all fucking COVID.

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2020 6:19 AM

^ r36: YES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 25, 2020 6:21 AM

You get OANN outside of the USA? Poor you.

by Anonymousreply 38September 25, 2020 6:24 AM

[quote] It's amazing what a bubble some DLers live in.

It's always interesting that Gay Liberals are so pathetic for being in this Liberal bubble while these conservative posters ignore the big fat orange elephant in their conservative bubble where Hillary lost because she was popular enough (and yet won the popular vote by almost three million votes) or Trump is drainign the swamp and build that wall and makes America great again!

by Anonymousreply 39September 25, 2020 6:25 AM

R35 = r6/Boris.

by Anonymousreply 40September 25, 2020 6:26 AM

So sorry

where Hillary lost because she was NOT popular enough (and yet won the popular vote by almost three million votes) or Trump is draining the swamp and build that wall and makes America great again!

by Anonymousreply 41September 25, 2020 6:28 AM

I guess this is why no one can get at him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 25, 2020 6:29 AM

I would say he probably is. Even Tory voters I know over here think he is an abomination and they voted for BoJo. My elderly mother thinks he is somehow trolling everyone - not the word she used but the meaning implied - as she can’t believe anyone could be as stupid or ridiculous as he is. I think the other leaders mentioned are disliked but probably respected to a degree but Trump is disliked and seen as someone to ridicule too.

by Anonymousreply 43September 25, 2020 6:30 AM

Most of my energy on a daily basis is is reserved for dealing with my utter loathing of Johnson and the Tories ( or the majority of them ).

As your election is near I try to keep hoping Trump loses and he goes. I do worry, for the impact on the world if he does not. I can see Biden is far from ideal but he is clearly a chance for America to recover some of the respect it has lost. But I also worry because someone very precious to me lives in California and not only do I have to worry about the pandemic stopping us from seeing each other but also what he will do if the US continues to descend towards national division and fascism.

We are stuck with a corrupt, lying, venal but also incompetent Tory government, willing to renege on international treaties and break international law and willing to lay claim to a world beating response to the pandemic, prove the opposite through their incompetence and then blame the very citizens who suffer because of their incompetence.

Then there is Brexit.

Yup, I hate Johnson more. But I’m afraid of what world both of them wish us to live in.

by Anonymousreply 44September 25, 2020 6:38 AM

Trump's second.

Diana Fairgate will always be first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2020 6:44 AM

I loathe Trump but think Putin might be more globally hated. However Putin is also feared. I don't know if people fear Trump the same way.

Most current world leaders seem fairly vile.

If Trump gets chucked out of the White House, Boris Johnson will take over his role of Sinister Catastrophic Buffoon on the global stage.

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2020 6:45 AM

I think one of the worst, most hateful aspects of Trump is how he has infected all of our lives in ways no other previous POTUS had. Because of pop culture, and social media. As hard as we try to avoid and ignore him, he's everywhere! We can't escape his tweeting, giving his meaningless, pointless, benign, unwanted point of view on any and every asinine topic. Because he's "President" (as I will always use quotes when referring to him that way). Like everything he says is super-important and loaded with relevance because of who he is! And he is so fucking vapid, and clueless, and god-awful stupid!!!

I just fucking hate him!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2020 8:05 AM

I agree with a previous poster. Trump is a village idiot, an imbecile leading the blind village idiots. Putin is a devious mastermind, a James Bond villain come to life.

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2020 8:32 AM

When he dies the world will celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2020 8:33 AM

Some fringey people in Europe love Pres. Trump. Most do not.

Probably the only real other contender for most hated person in the world is Putin, no-one else is globally well-known enough. They had to bring in special anti-booing technology at the Eurovision because the gay and dandy crowd expressed its hatred of the Russian entry every year.... With the exception of some parts of Ukraine, I'm not sure what non-Russians would be major fans of Putin. That's why Trump is not a slam-dunk answer to this question.

I would say Trump's racism, his bizarre positions on Coronavirus, and his refusal to accept that global warming is real, would be the three main reasons he is hated.

NB We all used to think GW Bush was as bad as it gets :( We even gave the Nobel Prize to Obama simply for not being GW Bush.

by Anonymousreply 50September 25, 2020 8:42 AM

Yeah I think he is because he's the most well-known out of all the terrible world leaders around at the moment and his every insane and disgusting action or comment is widely reported by media worldwide.

He's both hated and laughed at by the majority of people outside of the US. Obviously we have insane right wing fucknuggets too who think he's great but they would, they are dumb as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 51September 25, 2020 8:51 AM

[quote]I don't know if people in other countries hate him because, honestly, he hasn't had much effect on people in those places. I think they watch on and horrified amusement, stunned that the great United States has been suckered by such an obvious con man.

Many Europeans have some degree of befuddlement about Americans, but whatever their overall impression of Americans—good, bad, or neutral—they often give some note of credit, as in "well, they must be doing something right." Now though, Trump has shown them their estimation of Americans was too generous. Wildly so.

by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2020 8:54 AM

I recently moved to Sweden and the majority of the people I have spoken with about Trump think he is an evil buffoon of a man and still find it surprising the US went from Obama (and could have elected Hillary) to him. While Swedes currently look at what is happening in the states with a bit of detached bemusement, they also seem very concerned with Trump’s potential to be re-elected and the ramifications of this happening.

Also, a number of people have brought up Michelle O running in 2024. There is a lot of hope that she will be president someday. In a conversation with some of my husband’s friends, I jokingly suggested that she moved to Sweden and run for PM and the responses I got were very serious, “this needs to happen”.

by Anonymousreply 53September 25, 2020 8:56 AM

Trump is an attention-hungry fool, a rapist, and an all-around criminal. But Putin murders his political rivals (so does Kim Jong-un). Putin and Kim are better at being devious. If Trump gets into the habit of killing his enemies, then he would probably be the most hated.

by Anonymousreply 54September 25, 2020 9:04 AM

No, I definitely hate Putin more. And Bolsonaro, and Xi Jinping.

Trump is a pawn. He's stupid, narcissistic and easily manipulated by someone like Putin. Putin is evil but he (or rather his brilliant advisors) is really smart and politically capable. Trump, Syria, Erdoğan and Brexit are elements of his world dominance plan.

So no, Trump is def not the scariest thing in the world.

by Anonymousreply 55September 25, 2020 9:22 AM

I mean the flipside of Trump getting hated perhaps (even) more than he deserves is that whoever eventually succeeds him will be loved more than he deserves. Like Obama, they were literally worshipping him in Berlin at one point, and all he needed to say was 'Change you can believe in'.

by Anonymousreply 56September 25, 2020 9:30 AM

Winnie the Pooh, AKA Xi Jinping the head of China's dictatorship. He would be up there, certainly for all the families of those his regime has killed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2020 9:43 AM

The rest of the world's leaders openly laugh at him. We can only imagine what they say in private.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2020 10:07 AM

Will Americans still proclaim that the United Sates is the GREATEST country in the world after exposing how totally fucked up it really is ?

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2020 12:08 PM

Yes, he is. With data.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2020 12:15 PM

1.4 billion Chinese people, about 700 million Indian people, 61% of American people, about 400 million of EU people and about 70% of East and South East Asian people don't trust him. Probably he's the most hated person in the Solar System right now!!! Hideous deplorable!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2020 12:21 PM

In America he is the most hated. Other countries have leaders that are oppressive that they have to deal with. Everything in the world is not about America.

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2020 12:24 PM

R62 types senile and bovine, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2020 12:47 PM

R63 types like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2020 1:05 PM

Trump, Billy "Candy" Barr, and Mitch McConnell are the trifecta of evil and the deserve to be universally loathed.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2020 1:07 PM

R24 Lol a History book about my own country? This way of seeing the rest of the world as being as uneducated as the Americans can only come from a pretentious American who doesn't even know what he's talking about. For decades, through the world's largest propaganda body of CIA-supervised Hollywood, the world believed in the America they portrayed in the movies and series they sold across the globe. In the allied Western countries that stupidly followed America in its wars, people believed in this democratic America, "the greatest democracy in the world" as the US sold it everywhere. And then social media came along and the rest of the world was amazed at how ignorant, self-centered, and greedy the average American is. Not at all the image of these good people, supposedly loyal, when they are traitors, not at all the image of the American fair or grateful to the nations which made them rich, OR INDEPENDENT, when they are in fact truly ungrateful but want other countries to remember forever how they saved the world (which is historically untrue).

This way of refusing to look yourself in the mirror, to question yourself about your own behavior is also extremely annoying but so illustrative. No, R24, pre-Trump America did not put tariffs on its allies under the ridiculously childish and pathetic pretext that they disagreed, while favoring totalitarian countries. I don't know where or when you saw such a thing, but it didn't happen in France until Trump was in power. This America, which knows that France can start at any moment to a bloody war against Erdogan's Turkey, and that if this is possible it is only because of Trump's support for Erdogan, did not exist before. There was still a certain deontology and professionalism towards France. Even Bush, who spread French bashing when France refused to follow the US in this destructive war against Iraq, for which French are paying a high price because it is this war that made ISIS, did not dare to impose unjust tariffs . He was still aware of being in front of his first and oldest ally. I haven't seen Trump impose tariffs on Russia or have any bad word against Putin. He behaves like the worst shit in mankind and it's not Biden who will make the French forget that.

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2020 1:07 PM

I don't think most people in other countries follow as much of American politics as we like to think. They have their own buffoons who hog their media space.

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2020 1:35 PM

I pray every night that when I wake I read headlines that he stroked out or choked to death on a piece of steak.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2020 1:49 PM

R67 Lol you're naive or ignorant. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2020 1:51 PM

R64 types fat and lazy. OP was asking people of the world, non-Americans, about Trump. If you're too thick to understand the question, go take some brain drugs, nan. Your dictator/tyrant shit is irrelevant here. And you sound stupid oo.

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote]t's amazing what a bubble some DLers live in.

Yes it is, isn't it? Speaking of bubbles, you'll be amazed to find out that lots of non-deplorables outside of Buttfuck AL don't like him a bit.

[quote]It reminds me of when Nixon won 49 states, and publisher Katharine Graham was shocked. Her famous quote: "I'm shocked. I don't know a single person who voted for him."

Insulting the memory of Nixon who actually had a brain and was running against a terrible candidate in 1972, but okay.

[quote]Same thing with Trump. Almost half the country is going to vote for him , and DLers prattle on about him being "the most hated person, blah, blah, blah."

Bitch please. He was elected by 1/4 of the voters in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2020 1:59 PM

R67, we're very conscious of him in Australia. US news has always been a key part of our news, but we have ongoing news series dedicated to following the US situation on TV, radio and [local] podcast. It is also very common to see clips of him openly made fun of by news and current affairs hosts. I've got family and friends who vote for our conservative parties, and who don't follow politics closely at all, but if you raise Trump with them they all say, "What is wrong with Americans? How can ANYBODY vote for an idiot like that?"

I reckon there are probably more hated rulers, eg in the countries where a third of the population has become a refugee rather than stay under the regime. In the States, I'd like to propose that McConnell, Graham, Jared and the other facilitators are actually more hateful, though probably less hated because they're eclipsed by his presence. Trump is phenomenally stupid and self-focussed, but those dudes know exactly what they're doing to democracy and are working the strategy for all they're worth. He couldn't have achieved anything without them, and probably doesn't even perceive the extent of the evil they're up to (though if he could I'm sure he'd be happy about it).

Then there's the NRA. Don't get the rest of the world started on the Second Amendment and its deeply creepy adherents.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2020 2:00 PM

In 29 countries (out of 200) Trumpy's approval ratings are higher than Obama's. The top countries are all Eastern European strongmen states. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Russia , Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 25, 2020 2:05 PM

I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative

by Anonymousreply 74September 25, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote]I don't think most people in other countries follow as much of American politics as we like to think

Your presumption is completely wide of the mark. People in other countries are not as ignorant of international affairs as you would like to think. Everything in America affects the world.. Don't be so stupid when you cast your vote, Muricans.

by Anonymousreply 75September 25, 2020 2:06 PM

Further, if your response to the question of whether President Woman Person Man Camera TV is the most hated person in the world is to assert that he's gonna win in a landslide in November, might I remind you that Montenegro troll farms don't get to vote in US elections? Or Russian trolls? Or bots? Or Israeli intelligence?

by Anonymousreply 76September 25, 2020 2:14 PM

R15 no one pays attention to Markle except weirdly obsessed stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2020 2:22 PM

R6, that quote wasn't from Katherine Graham, it was from Pauline Kael. If you want to be condescending to people get your facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2020 2:25 PM

R75 Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2020 2:37 PM

What makes me hate him the most is that he is ONE idiot that has changed everything in this country for the worse in under four years - and one good man with a mind and a purpose can work his entire life and barely make a difference.

And it's just because the people that we put in charge - and that should be looking out for us - won't stop him. I hate most of them, too.

I have already voted by absentee ballot because I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 80September 25, 2020 2:39 PM

I've hated Trump ever since he took out that newspaper ad about the "Central Park 5" decades ago, calling for them to be executed. (Of course, years later it turned out that they weren't even guilty of the crime they were charged with.) Then I kind of lost track of Trump and didn't pay any attention to him for years, until I started to read about all his bankruptcies, etc. -- which unfortunately did not include personal bankruptcy. My hatred for him was solidified with THE APPRENTICE, then solidified further during the presidential debates with Hillary, and then again many times with all of the horrors since then. He is a disgusting piece of human excrement, and anyone who supports him also deserves that description.

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2020 2:45 PM

R6 claiming everyone else lives in a bubble because he lives somewhere surrounded by Trump supports is, indeed, ludicrous. It’s like the morons sharing memes of the 2016 vote broken down by county, claiming the hugely lopsided red-to-blue ration is evidence of something, when the huge swaths of red are the least populated parts, and the clusters of blue represent hugely dense urban areas.

The world, dear deluded R6, is a lot bigger than the US. It’s certainly larger than whatever god forsaken hick town you live in.

by Anonymousreply 82September 25, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote] It reminds me of when Nixon won 49 states, and publisher Katharine Graham was shocked. Her famous quote: "I'm shocked. I don't know a single person who voted for him."

That's what's known as an apocryphal story.

That comment has been attributed to a wide range of people remarking on a wide range of elections.

[quote] Nixon quote

[quote] In December 1972, a month after U.S. President Richard Nixon was reelected in a landslide victory, Kael gave a lecture at the Modern Language Association, during which she said, "I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don't know. They're outside my ken. But sometimes when I'm in a theater I can feel them." An article on the lecture in The New York Times included this quote.[65][66]

[quote] The quote quickly turned into an urban legend that Kael had instead stated something like "I can't believe Nixon won. I don't know anyone who voted for him."[67] This misquote, which added an element of surprise on Kael's part, was over the next 40 years regularly cited by conservatives (such as Bernard Goldberg, in his 2001 book Bias) as an example of insularity among the liberal elite.[68][69] The "I can't believe Nixon won" quote also was sometimes attributed to other liberal female writers, including Katharine Graham, Susan Sontag, and Joan Didion,[70] and was sometimes said to have instead been stated after Ronald Reagan's reelection in 1984.[71]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 25, 2020 3:05 PM

No, R62 is completely correct. Americans always need ro be the BIGGEST and the FIRST and the MOST, even if it's about a hateful personality. No, Trump is not No1 in all of the world's people's thoughts. Many of us have our own tyrants to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 84September 25, 2020 4:50 PM

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit R70. Get back to you when you realize there is more to the world than the United States. People that are struggling in other countries don't give a shit what is happening here and don't spend 24/7 wondering what the idiot Trump is doing.

by Anonymousreply 85September 25, 2020 7:00 PM

But no tyrants is universally despised as much as Trump. Even the Martians would hate him if they visited earth!

Ugly and despicable and disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2020 7:01 PM

R84 Says a Trump supporter from the US. Who's your tyran please? huh? Where?

by Anonymousreply 87September 25, 2020 7:05 PM

R85 types ignorant and obtusely presumptuous. She seems to never travel outside her shithole state. Go eat Trump's shit and die of all the hate he gets! PEOPLE HATE HIM, HATE HATE HATE HATE HIM!!!

by Anonymousreply 88September 25, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote]Many of us have our own tyrants to deal with.

Putin? Fuck you, Svetlana R84 and R85. You are ugly and disgusting just like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 89September 25, 2020 7:08 PM

[quote]Almost half the country is going to vote for him , and DLers prattle on about him being "the most hated person, blah, blah, blah."

Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit, is it? Trump can be "the most hated person in the world" and can also win 45% of the votes in the coming election. The two statements are not in conflict.

For the record, given expected turnout, Trump won't have even close to "half the country" voting for him.

by Anonymousreply 90September 25, 2020 7:11 PM

The many unnecessary “wars on terror” that were really all about oil and power put lots of dents in America’s reputation overseas.

Trump was the final nail to the proverbial coffin.

by Anonymousreply 91September 25, 2020 7:13 PM

R90 - So fucking what about the election? We are talking about the MOST HATED PERSON in the world. Are you too senile and brain damaged to understand the topic? Crazy old fat fart went off to talk about the election result. Stay in the topic, nan.

TRUMP IS THE MOST HATED PERSON IN THE WORLD!!! And that is the fact!!!!

by Anonymousreply 92September 25, 2020 7:22 PM

R92, read the post I was responding to (r6) and stop frothing at the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 93September 25, 2020 7:23 PM

R87, I'm not a Trump supporter, I'm from Bulgaria and I've never been to the USA, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 94September 25, 2020 7:31 PM

So Trump is the most hated person in the world, right? Good!

Pile on the hate and hope he dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 95September 25, 2020 7:31 PM

I wouldn't mind if he won the Noble Prize......posthumously.......

by Anonymousreply 96September 25, 2020 9:16 PM

Outside of the religious-fanatic community (all too numerous especially in the more southerly states) he is loathed with the heat of one thousand suns in the US.

by Anonymousreply 97September 25, 2020 9:25 PM

Trump isn't the problem, it's the Americans that vote for him (and they are Legion) that are more despicable.

by Anonymousreply 98September 25, 2020 9:31 PM

OP is a troll no doubt about it

by Anonymousreply 99September 25, 2020 9:32 PM

R94 Basically, one of those eager Trump admirers in Eastern Europe! Lol poor clown

by Anonymousreply 100September 25, 2020 10:07 PM

Can you imagine how much worse it would be if Trump were intelligent? *shudder*

by Anonymousreply 101September 25, 2020 10:30 PM

[Quote] [R67] Lol you're naive or ignorant. Or both

R69 I seriously doubt you've traveled and worked in as many countries add I have.

by Anonymousreply 102September 25, 2020 11:25 PM

R102 I seriously doubt you know Europe better than an European. I don't need to travel i'm already in Europe and I know you're totally wrong!

by Anonymousreply 103September 25, 2020 11:43 PM

R100 I don't understand what your problem is with me and why do you think I like Trump when I said the exact opposite but you come across as:

1. Xenophobic, and

2. Projecting, because a xenophobic troll is exactly the profile of Trump's base.

You want the whole world to think about you first and foremost, before its own problems? You're like a brat at the prom, throwing a tantrum because not everyone is looking at her. The poster upthread is right, it's Trump's troll army that's the real problem which will have repercussions for us all.

by Anonymousreply 104September 26, 2020 12:48 AM

Hitler was not worse. Not by a long shot.

Neither was Saddam Hussein.

Neither was Osama bin Laden.

Neither was the Confederacy. At least they were Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 105September 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2020 5:39 PM

Hilary Clinton. Still#1 hated. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 107September 26, 2020 5:41 PM

r107, nope

by Anonymousreply 108September 26, 2020 7:23 PM

R107 must be a Fox Primetime watcher. In their world, it is true.

by Anonymousreply 109September 27, 2020 4:28 AM

^^Sorry, instead of world, I should have written "alternative universe".

by Anonymousreply 110September 27, 2020 4:29 AM

R102 et al.: I'm sure the truth is that lots of people in other countries follow American politics closely, while many, many other people in other countries follow American politics not at all, so I think it's pretty ridiculous to argue over what the numbers are for a thing like that.

by Anonymousreply 111September 27, 2020 9:49 PM

Show me one metric by which Hitler was worse than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 112September 27, 2020 9:58 PM

R112: their respective death counts, for one. I know Trump is working to rectify that disparity, but he has a ways to go.

by Anonymousreply 113September 27, 2020 11:34 PM

With yesterday's NYT's reveal of Trump's taxes, is he even more hated now than before????

by Anonymousreply 114September 28, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote]With yesterday's NYT's reveal of Trump's taxes, is he even more hated now than before????

My hatred for him has reached its summit as I'm afraid it would implode if I hated him more.

by Anonymousreply 115September 28, 2020 11:32 PM

The Black List

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 28, 2020 11:44 PM

U troll

by Anonymousreply 117September 29, 2020 12:21 AM

Look at that picture at R116.

All I could think of four years ago was: "This is the best that we can do? This is the choice we have?"

After eight years of an okay President that seemed to be trying to make things better for MOST people and at least pretended to listen to the American people.....this is what we have?

And four years later - it's almost as bad.......Biden is the choice by default - but he won't last a full term. Your vote for him is a vote for Kammie as President. That's okay, I guess......and it will frost Hillary's ass, so that's just a bonus......

by Anonymousreply 118September 29, 2020 2:42 PM

Let's try another way. Anyone who is now reading this, can you think of someone - anyone - who is more hated than Trump this very minute. I'll give you $750.

by Anonymousreply 119September 29, 2020 5:04 PM

After last night's debate, is he more hated now than he was yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 120September 30, 2020 6:24 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 121October 1, 2020 6:57 PM

He's just SO easy to hate. I can't think of one single redeeming quality about him.

by Anonymousreply 122October 1, 2020 7:03 PM

Bump for Trump

by Anonymousreply 123October 5, 2020 5:21 PM

I thought it was .

by Anonymousreply 124October 5, 2020 5:58 PM

I think he keeps pulling farther ahead from the pack.

by Anonymousreply 125October 9, 2020 5:12 PM

Yes. Yes, he is.

by Anonymousreply 126October 9, 2020 5:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!