Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Give me a reason to feel hopeful

RBG’s death, and the Republican bastards jamming her replacement through, took the wind out of my sails. It feels like we just keep losing ground. I’ve been reasonably optimistic about a Biden victory in Nov., but the orange fuck and his cronies will stop at nothing and I’m legit terrified about it going the other way. I don’t ever again want to feel like I did the morning after the 2016 election. Someone give me a thread of hope to focus on.

by Anonymousreply 111September 30, 2020 2:34 PM

Well Jackie Stallone is dead. There's that.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2020 1:03 PM

We'll all be dead soon, so it won't matter anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2020 1:05 PM

There may be some hot cock just around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2020 1:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2020 1:07 PM

If he steals the election again but Dems can take the senate, we can impeach the motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2020 1:13 PM

The pendulum swings OP. Just like the Dow, it is due a correction.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2020 1:14 PM

[quote]If he steals the election again but Dems can take the senate, we can impeach the motherfucker.

That does cheer me up. Then we’re stuck with President and Mother Pence, though, aren’t we?

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2020 1:18 PM

"he steals the election" = The candidate I wanted to win didn't.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2020 1:21 PM

I'm trying to remain confident that Biden will win the election but I'm worried about what Trump and his followers will do to cheat. If Trump wins again, I'm seriously outta here - I know EVERYONE said that after he won in 2016 but honestly, I can't imagine living here with another four years of his corruption.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2020 1:22 PM

Fuck off, R8.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2020 1:24 PM

[quote] I can't imagine living here with another four years

But you will though, loudly.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2020 2:12 PM

There will be new attractions at Disney World in the coming years.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2020 2:14 PM

I was just going to start a post like this -- glad I saw yours. This whole thing, starting with Covid in March but just generally getting worse and worse, is killing me. I try to have hope that things will get better and . . . it just doesn't. RBG's death seems like a cruel cosmic joke. The worst is that I do believe that Trump will win reelection, and by the Electoral College but not the popular vote. For the fifth time in US history the Democrat will get the majority of votes but lose in the EC. Everything about the next 50 days or so sickens me.

Of course, I do wonder how Trump will spin his claims of rigged elections and yet get reelected. Just like in 2016 -- thanks journalists! He claimed that there would be and was cheating in 2016 and the media just let it slide. I have been voting since 1976 (you do the math) and sometimes your candidates wins, sometimes your candidate loses. But nothing has ever approached the level of despair I feel now. This country, which has always been able to right itself after disastrous decisions, seems to be on a collision course.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2020 2:26 PM

It is stunning when some jackass like R8 comes along and says

[quote]"he steals the election" = The candidate I wanted to win didn't.

when we've been through a complete theft of our elections twice in 16 years, both perpetrated by Republicans. The system is seriously broken, by Republicans, on behalf of the Republican candidate who received fewer votes, and as we've now seen, with utterly disastrous ramifications leading to our near collapse as a nation. We have concrete evidence that once side will do anything — [italic]anything[/italic] — to win, and one side that is too afraid of their own shadows to do anything about it.

I know, I shouldn't be stunned. It's just a fact: Republicans can win legitimately, so they cheat.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2020 2:29 PM

You can feel as hopeless as you want as long as you vote for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2020 2:46 PM

Yes, VOTE!!!! I did so today in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2020 2:54 PM

for Biden, of course. If you're a Trumpie, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2020 2:55 PM

Trumpies should take special care to note that Election Day is November 4, and plan their in-person votes with great care and diligence. Mark your calendars, Trumpistas!

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2020 3:03 PM

If you're looking for positivity you've come to the wrong site, honey.

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote]The pendulum swings OP. Just like the Dow, it is due a correction.

In normal times it swings. When you have a hateful, vile, corrupt president in office surrounded by a bunch of spineless asslickers who are willing to lie, cheat and steal their way into power, I don’t know if we can count on that.

I don’t recall ever feeling so demoralized.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2020 3:15 PM

Not if we have BIDEN and CONGRESS in 2021, dummy R7. Pence will no longer be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2020 3:28 PM

AGAIN! Those CUNTS who were soooooooooo fucking PURE they could NEVER vote for HER and those who didn't vote grease fire to you! THIS is your fault! I hope you all die a so painful death!

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2020 3:30 PM

You sound like a whiney loser. Try being a real man and maybe you'll attract better cock instead of wasting your time worrying about stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2020 3:56 PM

This ain't Dial-A-Prayer, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote] should take special care to note that Election Day is November 4

Oh, someone with a Twitter account please tweet this.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2020 4:24 PM

R5, even if the Senate is flipped we won’t be able to convict (the Senate, btw, acquits/convicts; it doesn’t impeach) without 67 votes (assuming a Senate of 100 members) so don’t count on a Senate removal of a re-elected Trump.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2020 4:57 PM

Democratic governors should mail ballots to everyone in their state so the Republicans can't cheat.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2020 5:01 PM

More than ever, even pre-COVID, I think Trump is winning reelection. And I can't help but sit back and roll my eyes. Like, I just know this is gonna happen. It's so disgusting. And the far right will revel in it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2020 5:11 PM

That’s not helping, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2020 5:58 PM

Trump and Corona and all the rest of this fuckery are presented now as change agents. Let's face it. Unless things get super bad people never change. Now with US and global unprecedented crazy we know we def don't want things to be this bad ever again. We want to work toward environmental sustainability and repair and fair and democratic government. Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2020 6:10 PM

[quote] If Trump wins again, I'm seriously outta here - I know EVERYONE said that after he won in 2016 but honestly, I can't imagine living here with another four years of his corruption.

Where will you move to, R9?

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2020 6:24 PM

For you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2020 6:34 PM

You are so fucked.

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2020 6:35 PM

Snarky reply 1 aside, this is what gives me hope.

I'm a registered voter that votes. I support most Democrat policies and donate what I can afford.

I'm hopeful there are others that are doing the same. It's no that hard and apathy or defeatism is the enemy here.

And mostly I'm hopeful that the majority of Americans can't possibly support this accelerating insanity.

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2020 6:53 PM

I still think Biden is going to win. I also think it's highly likely Democrats will take the senate. This Supreme Court issue has really angered and motivated alot of Democrats.

I predicted Trump would win in 2016 people thought I was crazy at the time because people did not see it coming.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2020 7:00 PM

If the dems take the WH & the Congress, & the Senate repeals the filibuster rule, much can be accomplished. Then there's seeing Trump imprisoned.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2020 7:04 PM

I'm mentally prepared for 4 more years of Trump. My "hopeful" feeling comes from term limits (2 terms only). I also think that, if Trump wins again, we will hopefully have someone better to run for POTUS. I don't think anyone is necessarily "too old" to be in office & work effectively. Look at Nancy Pelosi. I do think that Biden is having problems. I would love it if Michelle Obama would rest up and then run for office at some point.

I'm mentally prepared for the worst. I have no expectations of people crossing party lines to "do what's right."

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2020 7:08 PM

I think the Supreme Court thing is going to backfire on the GOP. Women do not want to go back to back alley abortions. The overwhelming majority of Americans support abortion.

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2020 7:17 PM

And yet most American women (WHITE women, to be clear) voted for Trump in 2016, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2020 7:32 PM

Polls released today show a tie in GA, IA, and NC. If that isn't writing on the wall, I don't know what is. The rush to fill RBG's seat is an indicator they know they are going to lose.

Naysayers always say "but the polls in 2016 showed HRC winning." The national polls in 2016 were dead on, the state polls were slightly off because 70k people in three states were so sure of her victory that they didn't bother to vote. The polls were also right in 2018 and 2019.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2020 7:34 PM

R38, it's likely only those states that accessing providers is already an issue that will illegalize abortions. And let's face it, with access to abortion pills readily available to most pregnant women, it's no longer the 1950s, so I think you overstate the sustainability of the political fallout to a Roe reversal.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2020 7:36 PM

And there is this: I'm not a statistician, but the people at 538 and The Economist are. As of this today, 538 estimates Trump's odds at 22 percent, Biden's at 77 percent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2020 7:36 PM

Michelle Obama has no desire to be a professional politician. She has said that over and over.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2020 7:36 PM

R40, the average of the national polls had Hillary winning by 3.2%. She in fact "won" with a 2.1% spread. Being off by a mere 1.1% is hardly an indictment of polls.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Agreed. I love Michelle O, and would like to see her again in public life, but not as an elected official.

Political dynasties of any kind--Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, and of course, Trump (we see you Ivanka)--are a terrible and terribly undemocratic idea. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Thanks, guys, for your Michelle Obama comments. I agree about dynasties. I'm just so frustrated at where we've ended up and that Joe Biden seems to be having problems. Where is his comment on RBG's death?

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2020 7:51 PM

Here you go!

Biden, returning to Delaware from his own campaign stop in Minnesota, praised Ginsburg upon his arrival. Ginsburg was "not only a giant of the legal profession but a beloved figure," he said. She "stood for all of us." Biden presided over the confirmation hearing of Ginsburg in 1993 as then Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"In the decades since, she has been absolutely consistent and reliable, and a voice for -- for freedom and opportunity for everyone," Biden said Friday. "And you know, and she never failed. She was fierce and unflinching in her pursuit of the civil and legal rights of -- civil rights of everyone. Her opinions and her dissent are going to continue to shape the basis for our law for a generation."

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2020 7:55 PM

Just curious - where does Biden seem to be having troubles? Not in the polls. Not in fundraising.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2020 7:56 PM

R35, what "supreme court issue"? You mean that Trump is going to nominate a candidate, like he is allowed to do by the constitution, and the senate is going to vote on that candidate, like they are allowed to do by the constitution.

That the issue you want to destroy America over?

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2020 7:56 PM

Even if the shit gibbon wins in November and we don't take the senate - remember, it is rule by minority. There are way more of us - normal, rational people - than them. Demographics are a time bomb for that party, and with Covid atomizing blue voters out of the big blue cities and into the hinterlands, I predict a wave that doesnt subside. More than a few Republicans are predicting doom for their party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2020 8:00 PM

Biden comments on RBG passing. Note that, unlike the treasonous pig, he was wearing a mask before speaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 22, 2020 8:01 PM

Keep in mind the Supreme Court can be surprising. Many of the most liberal decisions have been written from Republican-appointed justices over the years, people who seemed to be in lock-step with the conservatives . . . until they weren't. Also, it's my hope that this power grab will spark a renewed interest among Democrats in trying to win more at the local level, taking control of governorships and state houses, and promoting some constitutional amendments. We're now in just about our 2nd longest stretch of time as a nation without an amendment to the constitution. If we enshrine gay rights, abortion rights, etc., via constitutional amendment, it really doesn't matter how many right-wing idiots are on the SC. It's hard work, but it's necessary and vital and worthy of anchoring your hope.

by Anonymousreply 52September 22, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote] Demographics are a time bomb for that party

If you think that political party affinity is immutable with the various demographics, you don’t know American history. Groups will switch back and forth in the coming decades as they always have.

by Anonymousreply 53September 22, 2020 8:06 PM

R49 Did you forget 2016? The Senate blocked an Obama appointment because it was an election year. Guess what? This is a fucking election year! There's an election less than 50 days away. They are breaking their own fucking rules. The gallows would be too good for them. Their heads should be on a fucking pike.

by Anonymousreply 54September 22, 2020 8:09 PM

OP, I don't wish to sound like a craggy finger wagger, but life is full of fuckery. It's what you do when said fuckery occurs that separates the sequins from the taffeta.

by Anonymousreply 55September 22, 2020 8:11 PM

[quote] They are breaking their own fucking rules.

Except it wasn’t a “rule”. It was only McConnell’s viewpoint at the time and has no effect on the law or Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2020 8:14 PM

The Constitution doesn't limit the number of justices, so it can be packed next year.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2020 8:21 PM

Progressives LOVE RBG, not really Biden. Now, they will work their asses off to get Biden elected. This is something the Biden campaign needed. We have to get the White House and the both chambers of congress. Now, we have very freaked out competent people working for Biden.

We need everyone to vote for Biden. Everyone vote blue down ballot. We need a high turn out election, and unfortunate register dems do not always turn up to vote.

by Anonymousreply 58September 22, 2020 8:26 PM

You have to hand it to the media: like clockwork, they're already playing the "both sides" game. I was just watching ABC News (a.k.a. Faux News lite) and after showing Lindsay Graham's "hold the tape" about-face, they then showed Dick Durbin saying back in 2016 that there should be a vote in an election year. Of course, what they don't bother to mention is that Democrats were saying that because Obama had EVERY RIGHT AS PRESIDENT to pick the next SC justice at that time and the Rethugs led by McConnell were shitting on the Constitution by stopping him from doing so, which is what makes THEM the only hypocrites in this debate, not the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2020 8:27 PM

Why should you feel hopeful? There is no reason. Supreme Court -- gone. Election -- no sure thing. Deplorables -- still deploring. Liberals -- divided. We are fucked. Truly fucked.

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2020 8:32 PM

Not all Republicans want to overturn Roe v Wade. Also, I do not think libertarians and independents want Roe overturn either. This will piss them off.

Also, I wonder how this is going to go over with poor register republicans, trump's base? Seeing republican senators go out of their way to fill a SCOTUS Seat, but they cannot do anything to pass a bill that will help them out, during a covid pandemic. Republican senators are not really that popular in their states. Being more public now, might piss a lot of people off too.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2020 8:34 PM

Thanks for starting this thread OP, I was thinking the same thing. I shouldn't whine: I have the ability to work at home, I've stayed healthy, I live in an area with low infection rate - but this latest downturn has made me feel so angry & hopeless. What's more, this stunt only leads to retaliation which only increases partisan warfare - with our without McConnell & Dump. And you know McConnell only gave that bitch Susan Collins a pass because he thought he could get by without her.

As others have noted, things will swing in the other direction, they always do. But like OP, I am searching for reasons to feel hopeful & not coming up with much

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2020 8:37 PM

They only way to stop the republican party (really the modern day Nazi party) is to VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE.

You have to vote for Joe Biden.

You have to vote Blue Down Ballot.

This is how we stop them. Trump needs to be kicked to the curb. And those Republican Senators are extremely dangerous, anti Democratic and they need to go too.

VOTE

Plan how you are going to deal with Voter Suppression NOW.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2020 8:37 PM

It's hard but I still have hope. I have to or else I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the mornings.

Biden will win. Democrats will keep the House AND take back the Senate. America, despite all its flaws, will still save itself in the end.

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2020 8:42 PM

The Republicans have one objective and one objective only: to turn the clock back to 1932 and roll back/void/nullify each and every piece of legislation and courtroom decision that affected ordinary people. They have been waging class warfare since Roosevelt became president in 1932 and have not relented since then. It would appear they are on the verge of victory and they will be victorious if Trump is being reelected.

Trump long ago lost the respect of the elites of America, but if her can successfully repeal Obamacare, Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, he will become the Jesus Christ of the 1%. That's why he so desperately wants to win in November.

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote] Just curious - where does Biden seem to be having troubles?

Just how he talks seems not as snappy as before. Part of the reason I liked him as a candidate was because he is good at debates. Even one of his commercials, where they had time for multiple takes, was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2020 9:05 PM

R66 I know the bar is set low, but Joe outshines trump in the skill of “talking” by 💯. Don’t worry about that.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2020 9:11 PM

OP, personally, I find volunteering for democratic political campaigns to be very uplifting and anxiety-reducing. I highly recommend it, especially when a person is feeling like you are.

Check out the democrats.org link below for ways to take action:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2020 9:26 PM

Fuck off, you loser "Biden Is Having Troubles" TROLL.

Fuck you into the gutter.

Go lick your god Trump's hole!

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2020 9:47 PM

Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness, OP.

I found that quote when I was looking through an old address book of mine and posted it elsewhere.

We are ALL tired. Many of us are lonely or alone due to this virus. Our social networks are in tatters. We have no one to lean on so it's easy to become scared and demoralized.

However, did you see how much $$ the Dems have raised a ross the board since RBG passed? I think it's around $100 MILLION or something crazy like that.

The Ditch Mitch or die trying group raised enough $ to give all the Dem Senate candidates over $1 million EACH. That's jaw dropping.

These are small donors, not corporations, not the billionaires but US. People are putting their $ where their mouth is.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that other groups like the ACLU have also raised a shit ton of money in the last few days.

People are pissed and fed up with the rethugs and their hypocrisy. FED. UP. Remember how we bitch slapped them in 2018?

That was a love tap compared to what's coming. Stay focused. Stay on target.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2020 9:52 PM

Stop crying and wringing your hands! The math is in our favor. Biden is going to crush Trump and he Senate is looking good. So knock off the self pity and fight like hell for the next 6 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2020 10:02 PM

The whole point of authoritarians is to make you feel hopeless.

Don't let the pigfuckers take your sense of hope.

by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2020 10:10 PM

If Biden loses, we all die. Democracy dies.

Our only hope is if Biden wins. Also, we need to take back the congress, both chambers. So work your ass off. Do everything. I do not think there is a lot of hope and positivity . THIS IS IT.

If Biden loses, we die (covid, fascist wars, climate change, no health care, no pensions/no social security).

Our only hope is Joe Biden wins. This is sobering. GET TO WORK ON THIS. WE NEED YOU.

by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2020 10:14 PM

R70 If I could WW your post a thousand times, I would.

by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2020 10:21 PM

Is good. Machine fixed. Now you have glass of best Russian vodka.

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2020 10:39 PM

Thank you r71. Dumpsters to come here just to cause distress. "I'm a big Biden supporter, but he doesn't glow in the dark, so..."

by Anonymousreply 76September 22, 2020 11:28 PM

Even one of his commercials, where they had time for multiple takes, was terrible.

I didn't see this, so I can't comment one way or the other, but any person - particularly an older one -would buckle under the weight of DEMOCRACY HINGES ON A WIN!! As much as Hilary is no doubt personally sorry she lost, I would have to think that the weight of "because I ran a shitty campaign (did or didn't do - whatever), the country has plunged into disarray" weighs heavily on her heart & mind.

Here's maybe a little thing to feel hopeful about: John Roberts is no liberal, but I think he genuinely cares about his legacy & that of the SC. Given the way the repigs keep thinking they've got him in their pocket, it would be nice if he delivers some "surprises" going forward that the SC *isn't* stilted in their favor. But maybe I'm grasping at straws here....better pour myself another drink

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2020 11:45 PM

FUCK OFF, Trumper at R77!

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2020 11:49 PM

Um, excuse me R78, I am no Trumper! Don't make me hit you with my Vera Bradley bag! I was simply saying that if Joe does seem a bit tired, it's understandable because it's got to be a heavy burden to carry that the democracy of the US rests on YOU.

I forgive you, but don't provoke me again!

by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Fuck off, trying to "subtly" sow low confidence in Biden, fucking lying Trumper at R79.

No one cares about why you think Joe is low energy or whatever lies you are trying to spread in order to get gay men not to show up to vote.

Fucking evil Both-Sides trash!

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2020 12:00 AM

R77 How can John Roberts do anything about this exactly? He was the new swing vote on the Supreme Court until Ginsberg passed and did uphold LGBTQ rights and abortion rights but his vote will now be cancelled out once this new justice is added.

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2020 12:01 AM

While you wait for things to get better, you can still enjoy your favorite foods, drinks, and television shows. You can find beautiful scenery at a nearby park. Pet one of the dogs that rushes towards you.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2020 12:05 AM

It's not getting better. The ray of sunshine spiraled down the toilet with America's faded place in the world and its once blind optimism.

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2020 12:16 AM

You have to fight fascism man. It is this bad, you are correct. Use your energy to get Joe Biden elected.

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote] Keep in mind the Supreme Court can be surprising. Many of the most liberal decisions have been written from Republican-appointed justices over the years, people who seemed to be in lock-step with the conservatives. . . Until they weren't.

This

I think all the hand-wringing is a little overdone. I have made this point before. Souter, Kennedy, O'conner and even Roberts to a degree all showed themselves to be fair-minded and not in lock step with Republican prerogatives. Justices have egos on a par with Trumps and will not allow themselves to be a foregone conclusion.

Quit crying yourselves to sleep and work to get back the White House and the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2020 12:33 AM

R85 The difference is they were not hardliners like the current picks they were all moderates compared.

The ones being picked now are extremists with a far right agenda.

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2020 1:55 AM

Like Gorsuch?

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2020 1:58 AM

R87 Gorsuch is still anti Roe v Wade and mostly votes with the right wing block of the court. Just because he occasionally crosses over does not make him a moderate.

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2020 2:01 AM

This guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2020 2:04 AM

If there's no new SCOTUS Judge by election day, the Millennial brahs will come out and vote for Biden. Abortion is a valuable tool for them; without it, they get to pay child support for 20 years.

If a new Judge is picked by election day, or Trump wins- they'll all move to Amsterdam. You can't corner them.

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2020 2:27 AM

I was 'thinking' (worrying) this morning that if Trump wins, I'll just go live in a bar and drink away my last years, but then I thought, fuck, no, if he wins I'm going to tutor the homeless kids in my city--I'm going to stop "doing little acts of good" and do some real gritty, heroic, exhausting acts of good. That may be the best way to say fuck you to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2020 2:49 AM

R89 You seriously think he is going to be everyone's saviour and uphold abortion rights and the ACA?

I cannot see Gorsuch becoming a new swing justice in the way Roberts or Kennedy were. At the time when Anthony Kennedy retired I did believe that Roberts would move more to the centre and he did to protect the courts integrity. I cannot see this with Gorsuch.

The Democrats have to win the senate and the White House this fall so they can rectify this by expanding the court. It's the only way we can fix this.

They are pushing for a mid October confirmation, which means the new justice will be on the court by Halloween. Amy Coney Barrett is the favourite. Just think about that!

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2020 4:02 AM

The republican appointed SCOTUS voted down the Voting Rights Act already. Plan number one of all Fascist government take overs, VOTER SUPPRESSION.

Plan number 2, take all the people money. Looting the Public Treasury via cancelling health care, social security etc. They are literally talking about this out loud. Trump/Republicans are appealing obama care now.

Plan number 3 you keep power by removing democratic and human rights. They are talking about this now. Florida passed a law basically banning and criminalization protesting.

Very Very serious changes toward a authoritarian government via a theocracy base is happening now.

IT is this serious. You have to vote for Joe Biden, You have to vote blue down ballot.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2020 8:50 AM

You'll be dead soon.

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2020 9:26 AM

It's refreshing to see more top Democrats now talking about expanding the Supreme Court. RBG death really has changed the direction of this.

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2020 3:27 PM

The Supreme Court can only rule that laws that prohibit abortion are constitutional. It can't force states to pass such laws. Every state that passes such a law would have to deal with its own citizens. Maybe more people would recognize how important EVERY election is including ones for state legislatures. This would be true of gay marriage and many other issues as well.

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2020 3:56 PM

Does anyone on DL really care about abortion rights?

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2020 5:02 PM

R97 Shut the fuck up

by Anonymousreply 98September 23, 2020 6:00 PM

Roberts is not a closet liberal by any means. He is a Supreme Court traditionalist. His biggest worry has always been that all decisions on the court would be 5-4, a split that indicates constant liberal/conservative votes, and nothing else. When the new very conservative associate justice is appointed, Roberts will be happy with 6-3 decisions that completely support his basic conservative mind-set but also show a unified court rather than a divided one.

by Anonymousreply 99September 23, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote] Plan number one of all Fascist government take overs, VOTER SUPPRESSION.

No, that’s not true - it’s voting fraud. They want 100% participation to provide a sense of legitimacy and support.

by Anonymousreply 100September 23, 2020 6:52 PM

R100 is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 101September 23, 2020 10:17 PM

"IT is this serious. You have to vote for Joe Biden, You have to vote blue down ballot."

It's not going to matter. Trump is going to work with conservative state legislatures in swing states to replace the current electors with Trump loyalists who will decree that there was probable fraud with all of the mail-in votes. Those votes will be thrown out.

Trump is going to win PA, FLA, WI, OH and MN.

Call me a loon, but we are staring at permanent Republican rule and all that that implies.

by Anonymousreply 102September 24, 2020 12:56 PM

R102 You’re a loon.

by Anonymousreply 103September 24, 2020 4:56 PM

No one is stalking and killing people.

by Anonymousreply 104September 24, 2020 4:57 PM
by Anonymousreply 105September 25, 2020 2:40 AM

Sigh, I fear R99 is right, though I think he's occasionally throw a bone to the liberal side of the court to preserve the overall legitimacy of the court. But yes, he'd be with the others slowly & surely taking away our rights....

by Anonymousreply 106September 25, 2020 8:36 AM

[R99} Roberts overturned the voting rights act. He is not pro democracy. Clearly, he is also a racist. He is publicly against women's health care, but this is more about no medical care for the American people. Proof of this, is also his stance on environmental health.

by Anonymousreply 107September 25, 2020 9:03 AM

You need to lighten up OP.

by Anonymousreply 108September 25, 2020 10:07 AM

Even if Roe v Wade is overturned, the issue goes back to the states and the blue states will still allow abortion.

The more time goes on, the less likely you are to die of coronavirus if you get infected (perhaps unless you are cross-infected with flu).

The next Democratic Presidential nominee is more obvious than the next Republican one.

At least nature healed a bit during the lockdown.

You still have datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 109September 25, 2020 10:15 AM

they are going to overturn the ACA too. People will lose their health insurance. There is a pandemic and also a recession. People are losing their jobs. thus their job benefits.

by Anonymousreply 110September 25, 2020 11:54 AM

I’m holding out hope that the debate shitshow last night horrified just enough undecided voters to turn the tide inexorably toward Biden.

by Anonymousreply 111September 30, 2020 2:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!