Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Regina King is Hollywood’s hottest actress

In the past 5 years she’s won an Oscar and three Emmys for three different characters, and has a very good chance of winning a fourth Emmy tonight for a completely different character. To me this is more impressive than an actor winning umpteen Emmys for the same role. She’s now directing as well.

I adore her, and I’m thrilled that she has hit her stride in her late 40s. Any other fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 31, 2021 3:39 PM

Love her too. I knew she had talent when she seamlessly did a 180 playing the super-saccharine "Brenda" on 227 to realistically portraying foul-mouthed ghetto girls in John Singleton's Boyz N The Hood and Poetic Justice.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2020 5:55 PM

I don’t see what the big deal is.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2020 5:57 PM

She really flew under the radar for years & has scored some great projects recently. Good for her, I wish her continued success.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2020 6:17 PM

Love her. I was convinced that Cate Blanchett deserved the emmy this year until I got to how the Vietnam episode of Watchmen.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2020 6:19 PM

She's fabulous! Very happy for her success.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2020 6:21 PM

The Emmys LOVE her. And with the surprising relevance of Watchmen on several fronts, I really don’t see how she loses tonight.

Cate B. has never won an Emmy so she could be a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2020 6:23 PM

Gee, it’s good to be King.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2020 6:25 PM

I really wish that Watchmen had been renewed. It probably would have been canceled due to Covid anyway, but I would have loved another season.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2020 6:28 PM

She's a very good actress, very natural. She always stood out in everything she does

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2020 6:47 PM

I started to follow her when she voiced Huey and Riley on Boondocks when I was in college. Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2020 7:15 PM

It's not like Cate Blanchett has done a lot of tv, to be fair. Mrs. America and Documentary Now (both great). I really would have had a tough time deciding between Blanchett and King if I were an Emmy voter.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2020 8:36 PM

The Oscar win seemed a bit odd. She was adequate in that film but not really anything special. (TV work was great though.)

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2020 8:40 PM

Whatever happened to Calvin from 227?

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2020 8:40 PM

I love her - she's always great. As many awards as she gets, it still seems like she's a far second behind other bigger name actresses like Viola Davis.

I like Octavia Spencer also -though I have the vague memory that she might not be someone DL would support.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2020 8:40 PM

It took 13 posts to ask what happened to Calvin?

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2020 8:52 PM

Translating her first name from Latin to English, she’s Queen King.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2020 9:12 PM

she should play Michelle Obama in the inevitable movie

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2020 9:44 PM

She deserves it; I’ve watched her since 227 and love her in everything!

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2020 11:37 PM

So I guess Viola is the black Meryl so that makes Regina the black Glenn? I smell a feud!!!

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 5:24 AM

R18 - it's weird - but I always thought she had an 'it' factor during 227. I thought she was gorgeous back then - but my teen years would conflate like and beauty all the time.

She's definitely attractive and a great actress.

It took a LOT of pluck, determination and ambition to stick it through the lean years she had off and on.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2020 5:29 AM

She's definitely been over-rewarded. She maybe deserves two of the four emmys and absolutely did not deserve that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2020 5:32 AM

She's a good actress, but one with little range. However, I am happy for her success, as I loved watching her on 227 as a kid.

I think things started changing for her after that scene-stealing performance in Ray (she was far more effective and Oscar-worthy in that film than If Beale Street Could Talk).

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2020 5:38 AM

She had great presence in Jerry Maguire.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2020 6:30 AM

Regina Hall has an ongoing joke on 'Black Monday' about being mistaken for Regina King. The joke gets funnier every time it comes up, because I'm sure it's based on real life.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2020 6:35 AM

Saaaaaaannnndra Clarke taught her how to suck dick! She had Calvin’s big chocolate stick.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2020 6:44 AM

[quote]She's definitely been over-rewarded.

In my opinion, it's hard to say. I do like the fact that she sticks to working and stays out of all of the other shenanigans that some stars get into. She keeps her nose to the grindstone and I think people and voters appreciate that.

As for the Oscar: She was up against Emma Stone & Rachel Weisz for The Favourite, Amy Adams for Vice and Marina de Tavira for Roma.

When two people from the same film are nominated against each other there is a 65% chance that a third actor who is neither of them will win. It has happened before. No one was expecting Marina de Tavira to be nominated which leaves Regina vs Amy Adams. Regina had already won the Golden Globe, Critics' Choice, and National Board of Review awards. Emma did not. That's how she won. If either Emma or Rachel wasn't nominated then it's a whole different ball game.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2020 7:55 AM

[quote]Emma did not.

Correction, meant to say Amy Adams didn't win prior for Vice.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2020 7:56 AM

Loved her on 227, she and I were the same age and even though she was supposed to be a sweet, nice sitcom girl, she seemed so much more real than any of the other teens on TV at the time.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2020 8:17 AM

One of the most exasperating experiences on DL was when she won the Oscar and the "she didn't deserve it" assholes started joining in with the trolls calling her the n-word on the livewatch thread. A lot of really fucked-up people here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2020 8:18 AM

LOVE Regina. I adored her on 227 but even I will admit I never expected this amazing career for her. When I saw her in Poetic Justice I was blown away by how she was nothing like Brenda.

I love If Beale Street Could Talk and I can understand why some people might think she didn't deserve it. But I think there are three key scenes that solidified her win - the scene where she encourages her daughter to tell her father she's pregnant (and instill confidence in her rather than fear), the scene where she is in the hotel room and trying to find the right look and then the scene where she is pleading with the woman to come back with her to testify to save her son-in-law. The latter scene, especially, is gut-wrenching as her character goes through such a roller coaster of emotions. She is trying to be sensitive to this woman's trauma but she is desperate to save her son-in-law so her desperation leads her to almost badger the poor woman to testify. I thought Regina brilliantly played the desperation and increasing hopelessness in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2020 8:21 AM

Well, she’s no Countess Vaughn.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2020 8:29 AM

[quote]I like Octavia Spencer also -though I have the vague memory that she might not be someone DL would support.

Maybe you're thinking of Sherri Shepherd?

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2020 8:29 AM

I've always loved Regina King. The first time I saw her was in Enemy of the State in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2020 8:48 AM

I loved her in Southland.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2020 9:41 AM

R34, me too. That was a great, underrated show.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2020 9:45 AM

"So I guess Viola is the black Meryl so that makes Regina the black Glenn? I smell a feud!!!"

That's not a feud, dear.

YOU KIDS!! I AM NOT CLEANING BOX AGAIN! I AM TOTALLY CAPABLE OF LEAVING THAT CAT SOMEWHERE ON THE INTERSTATE!

Please, there are plenty of mice around those rest stops. She'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2020 9:53 AM

She was funny as the Human Resources Manager in Big Bang

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2020 9:54 AM

I like Regina King but I much prefer Regina Hall.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2020 9:56 AM

Loved her in Ray but then again I loved everything about that movie. She had at least three Oscar-worthy scenes playing Margie Hendrix.

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2020 10:03 AM

No matter how many fancy awards she wins, she will always be Brenda Jenkins to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2020 10:04 AM

What is Countess Vaughan doing these days?

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2020 10:40 AM

Is King being rewarded for her talent or skin color?

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote]I loved her in Southland.

When she won her first Emmy, I pretended she'd won it for Southland instead of American Crime.

But I do love her, and she seems to be genuinely well-liked in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2020 11:32 AM

[QUOTE] I like Octavia Spencer also -though I have the vague memory that she might not be someone DL would support.

How does that work? Octavia seems very clearly a lesbian to me. Also, I love her.

There was really not much enthusiasm for any of the other nominees the year that Regina took home the Oscar. I thought the Favourite women were exceptional and would have supported with of them to win, but they were already Oscar winners and I think people still have a bad taste in their mouths after Emma Stone’s bullshit Lala Land win. Marina’s surprise nomination was her reward that year. And Amy had already done a much better version of her Vice character in The Master.

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2020 6:54 PM

I thought the girl who played Regina's other daughter in Beale Street gave a much better performance than Regina did. (I can't remember the character's name, but the actress is Teyonah Parris.) I would have nominated her over Regina. In fact, I thought every principal role in that film EXCEPT for Regina should have been nominated (the young couple for Lead Actor and Actress, Parris for Supp Actress and Colman Domingo and Brian Tyree Henry for Supporting Actor.) Regina was totally outacted and outclassed in that film.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2020 10:07 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2020 10:12 PM

[quote] When she won her first Emmy, I pretended she'd won it for Southland instead of American Crime.

American Crime awakened me to her talent. I'd known her as that girl from "227" and failed to note her development over the decades until season 1 of "American Crime" -- and she blew me away

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2020 10:16 PM

You should watch Southland. It's one of the best shows of the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2020 10:28 PM

Is she still in touch with Calvin from 227?

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2020 10:35 PM

Love her to death. She should have been nominated for her turn in JERRY MAGUIRE as well as Cuba Gooding.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2020 11:01 PM

R48, amen!

Fans of Regina King should enjoy her character on Southland, who is beautifully written and played as a complex, interesting, and believably real person who also happens to be an LAPD detective. Kevin Alejandro and Michael Cudlitz were also terrific in the series, which in general was a treat. It's available streaming on Amazon (not for free, although at $14/season, it's a good deal).

by Anonymousreply 51September 27, 2020 12:07 AM

Where's Calvin???

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2020 1:59 AM

She was brilliant on American Crime and also in Beale Street. Great performances and those awards were well deserved in my opinion. I also love her performance on the Leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2020 2:04 AM

She also got some good notices for her directorial feature, which screened at Venice.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2020 2:06 AM

Also, while Calvin from 227 never appeared on Southland (to the best of my knowledge), Marla Gibbs did have a cameo as an old lady with dementia who took one look at Regina's Detective Lydia Adams and asked "Brenda, is that you?"

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2020 2:12 AM

Back then I thought she deserved a best supporting actress nomination for Jerry Maguire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote]I pretended she'd won it for Southland instead of American Crime.

Regina was INCREDIBLE in American Crime, especially in Season 2 as Terri LaCroix: the ruthless, stuck up exec who hates poor people and will stop at nothing to protect her athlete son from going to jail.

It was just nice to see her play someone not nice and I'm glad she was rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2020 5:08 AM

r55, I loved the way Marla Gibbs kept referring to Regina King as "Brenda".

Here's a clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2020 10:04 AM

She’s a great actor. She’s going to win a leading Oscar in the next five years.

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2020 11:43 AM

She was a riot as Angela Basset’s foul-mouthed postal worker sister in the otherwise dreary How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2020 1:13 PM

She's also consistently cited as the best part of the otherwise hum-drum Miss Congeniality 2.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2020 1:39 PM

Curtis Baldwin, aka Calvin, is now 53 and has 6 kids who seem to adore him. Works as a music producer and standup comedian, though not particularly successful at either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2020 1:50 PM

I've loved her since [italic]Southland[/italic]. That show had no shortage of great actors, but she was the crown jewel.

by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2020 2:17 PM

[QUOTE] I also love her performance on the Leftovers.

Thank You for reminding me about this. She was so good on The Leftovers playing a “lens.”

by Anonymousreply 64September 27, 2020 7:17 PM

I forgot how good she was on The Leftovers. That scene with Carrie Coon (you know the one I’m talking about) was just 😚👌🏻.

by Anonymousreply 65September 27, 2020 7:43 PM

Lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2020 9:35 PM

I thought Watchman was the show of the year, and although Cate Blachett was great as Phyllis Schlafly, Regina King was more deserving in Watchman as Sister Night. Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2020 9:42 PM

R2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2020 9:47 PM

I think she is a fantastic example of a child actor who kept working on their craft and blossomed into a genuinely great actor. There aren't many -- DiCaprio, who else?

by Anonymousreply 69September 28, 2020 3:57 AM

She’s talented - to a point. But she’s also on the receiving end of affirmative action madness.

by Anonymousreply 70September 28, 2020 5:33 AM

r69 Jodie Foster. Henry Thomas is still a very good actor, if under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 71September 28, 2020 6:01 AM

R69: River Phoenix Elizabeth Taylor Natalie Wood Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 72September 28, 2020 10:28 AM

[quote]But she’s also on the receiving end of affirmative action madness.

Oh, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2020 11:04 AM

Happy for her success. Her story is a reason to believe that hard work eventually pays off even if you're working in an industry that favors and rewards looks, white skin and male gender, and you’re the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 74September 28, 2020 11:06 AM

R74 Hilar.

by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2020 11:18 AM

She’s got that “tears in the voice” thing they always loved about me.

by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2020 11:23 AM

I loved Regina in 227. After that show ended, to me she fell of the radar. Later years, I watched the charming movie Mighty Joe Young with my sexy man favorite Bill Paxton. Regina was cast as a zoologist. I feel in love with her all over again. She was so natural. My other fav is Enemy of the State where she displayed her rocking body.

by Anonymousreply 77September 28, 2020 11:31 AM

She’s come a long way from that stoop on 227. I very much enjoy her work.

And let’s not forget she gave us this moment too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 28, 2020 11:34 AM

She’s also real humble about her success. She has that Mary J Blige thing where she’s talented and doesn’t seem aware of it unlike Viola “i’m tired of being called the black Meryl Streep” Davis.

by Anonymousreply 79September 28, 2020 12:12 PM

The questions that really should be asked:

1. Does her pussy stink?

2. Is she trans?

3. Is she uppity now that she’s winning white women awards?

4. Can I have her stuff when she dies?

5. Is she a top or bottom?

6. Does she like to give and/or receive oral?

7. Is Harvey responsible for her success?

8. Is she the “Regina” that the Mean Girls character is based on?

9. Who’s had her?

10. What’s her favorite color?

by Anonymousreply 80September 28, 2020 12:29 PM

No R70. You’re just a racist. But you know that already.

by Anonymousreply 81September 28, 2020 8:26 PM

But what happened to Tiffany on 227?

by Anonymousreply 82September 28, 2020 11:55 PM

LOVVVEEE Regina King

by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2020 11:57 PM

R81 you're better off blocking R70 - fat, racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2020 11:58 PM

There is no affirmative action when it comes to Regina King.

She's one of the most respected actors in the business. And she's been directing for quite awhile now before people say "Oh, she's going to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Director because she's black".

by Anonymousreply 85September 29, 2020 12:38 AM

Maaaaaaaaaaaaary!

by Anonymousreply 86September 29, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]There is no affirmative action when it comes to Regina King.

She has worked hard for every inch of ground she has walked on.

She worked every year except for two for 24 years before she got Southland in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 87September 29, 2020 6:32 AM

Pearl Shea knew that gurl would go far!

by Anonymousreply 88September 29, 2020 9:11 AM

I have to watch BEALE STREET. It’s based on the first James Baldwin novel that my mother let me read.

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2020 12:51 PM

The movie is strange- it has several fantastic performances (King's not being one of them), a great score, beautiful cinematography, it's directed well, and yet it all its wonderful parts equal just a so-so film.

by Anonymousreply 90September 30, 2020 5:59 PM

R90 and I took away exactly the same things from this movie. Regina was good because she always is but the role didn't have the meat one would think of an award winning role or as it was buzzed about. Just a supportive mom part.

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2020 8:20 PM

I’m watching Southland episodes now. Regina King is not overrated, over-rewarded anything. She’s an exquisite actress.

by Anonymousreply 92January 31, 2021 5:56 AM

I first noticed her in Jerry MacGuire playing Cuba Gooding Jr's wife. I thought she was a little loud then but she certainly stood out.

by Anonymousreply 93January 31, 2021 6:11 AM

I love her in everything, but her performances in THE LEFTOVERS and WATCHMEN are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 94January 31, 2021 6:22 AM

I liked when Calvin tried fucking her on 227.

by Anonymousreply 95January 31, 2021 8:37 AM

I like Regina King but I prefer Regina Hall.

by Anonymousreply 96January 31, 2021 8:58 AM

R96 I like both - they are two of my favorite actresses working today. I would love to see them in Thelma & Louise-type movie together. Or have a show and spill their secrets, both just turned 50.

by Anonymousreply 97January 31, 2021 9:28 AM

She’s wonderful in Southland R92. That’s when she should have started winning Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 98January 31, 2021 1:58 PM

She was wasted in the dreadful Miss Congeniality 2. Sandy claimed she wanted to make a cop buddy film but with women. The idea was a good one in theory but the script was a piece of shit. The only good scene I remember was the one where King talks about having been a sickly child and spending a lot of time indoors with her dad.

by Anonymousreply 99January 31, 2021 2:08 PM

She did absolutely nothing in Beale Street and did not deserve her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 100January 31, 2021 2:10 PM

Regina Hall should play the lead in the Regina King biopic, Regina Taylor should play her mother, and the love theme on the soundtrack should be sung by Regina Belle.

by Anonymousreply 101January 31, 2021 2:13 PM

I really tried to watch her directorial debut movie, but once they got to the hotel room I couldn’t stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 102January 31, 2021 2:29 PM

Southland is available on HBOMax. I'm going to add it to my watchlist because of all the praise it's getting here.

by Anonymousreply 103January 31, 2021 3:03 PM

Southland was when I really when I started noticing her again. She is amazing in that show. She has worked consistently. I think one of the reasons she keeps working and keeps getting rewarded for her work is she remains humble. She doesn't seem like a diva. My brother is a film editor and does some episotic work and she directed an episode of Animal Kingdom that he helped edit and he said she was an absolute dream to work with. Directors can be very difficult when it comes to the cut and she was very collaborative. I loved her on The Leftovers. She hasn't made a misstep yet it seems.

by Anonymousreply 104January 31, 2021 3:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!