Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Now (Apparently) Acceptable Examples Of English Usage That You Learned Were Wrong

No grammar Nazi here. I accept that language evolves over time. But some things are still painful to my ears.

"different than" (different from)

"enamored by" (enamored of)

"patently obvious" (redundant)

"inferred" (when used to mean "implied")

by Anonymousreply 127September 30, 2020 11:37 PM

Ain’t.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2020 7:09 PM

inferred is not currently acceptable - doesn't even mean the same at all as implied. The others I can see

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2020 7:14 PM

Apparently, “unique” can now be modified by adverbs (e.g. “very” or “extremely”) suggesting it is a spectrum of rarity as opposed to a singular status.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2020 7:15 PM

Different than still bothers me, though it's commonplace.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2020 7:15 PM

If only they would leave “literally” alone, I’d suffer the rest.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2020 7:16 PM

The distinction between “less” and “fewer” is vanishing.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2020 7:17 PM

Not on DL, R6!

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2020 7:28 PM

How about "bored of" instead of "bored by." That really grates on my ears.

Also "prejudiced of" instead of "prejudiced about." Christ.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2020 7:29 PM

Wow, that was fast, Muriel!

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2020 7:29 PM

[quote]How about "bored of" instead of "bored by."

I've not heard "bored of." I usually say (or write) bored with." Maybe "bored by."

[quote]Also "prejudiced of" instead of "prejudiced about." Christ.

First time I've heard either. I usually say "prejudiced towards."

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2020 7:39 PM

I don’t like people feeling that they cant post if they don’t have perfect English. T hat said, it is sometimes hard to understand young people these days,

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2020 7:44 PM

R11 is goals.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2020 7:49 PM

'Presently' to mean currently instead of the immediate future.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2020 7:49 PM

I hate "different to". Have prepositions become irrelevant?

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2020 7:50 PM

Referring to the "amount" of people at a gathering, rather than the "number" of them.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2020 7:52 PM

"is goals" is still wrong

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2020 7:52 PM

R16 = King

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2020 7:55 PM

This one makes my head explode every time I hear it (even though it has become completely commonplace):

"Beg the question" to mean "the need to ask a question," rather than its actual meaning, "to bury the conclusion of an argument in one of the premises."

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2020 8:02 PM

As r3 pointed out, "most unique" drives me crazy. Unique does not equal unusual.

We've lost the battle on "awesome," but I preferred it when it meant "inspiring awe" (the Pyramids, great waterfalls, landing on the moon) rather than "somewhat good."

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2020 8:30 PM

r18, where and when does your correct version of "begs the question" appear? I have never seen it anywhere. Is it legal terminology?

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2020 9:17 PM

I always thought "begs the question" means a reply that simply leaves the question unanswered. But I'm sure you're right.

Due to my American education, I'm an ignorant slut. No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2020 9:22 PM

"Is goals" is never, ever goals.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2020 9:29 PM

begging the question is a logical error, a kind of circular reasoning. it would be trying to prove something by turning to the very premise of the question as evidence rather than information/evidence/analysis. Ex: I believe in God because the Bible is the word of God.

more often than not, people use "beg the question" as an improper synonym for *raising* the question. Ex: She's so beautiful and smart--which begs the question, why is she still single?"

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2020 9:31 PM

"I am well" has been adopted due to misuse and hyper-correction.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2020 9:38 PM

All you have to do is google “begging the question” r18.

It’s another way of describing a circular argument. Here’s a concrete example ripped from today’s headlines:

“The right not to wear a mask is every bit as important as rights of others to be protected. That’s because all rights are equal.”

The person citing that is using his assertion to prove itself. In fact the question itself is: are the right to have people around you mask up, and your own right not to wear a mask, of equal weight? By stating all rights are the same youre begging the question. You need to explain WHY that’s true, which the argument doesn’t do.

At this point, only lawyers seem to know what the term really means. Virtually everyone else uses it incorrectly as to mean “really really raises the question.” It’s bern misused by laymen for so long, it’s been accepted as an alternative use.

By the way, some major dictionary recently accepted “irregardless” as a word. Depressing.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2020 9:40 PM

John and myself are going to the game.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2020 9:42 PM

Bern, Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2020 9:44 PM

What’s wrong with that, r26?

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2020 9:44 PM

In your case," Myself" needs to be capitalized.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2020 9:45 PM

I should have went.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2020 9:46 PM

Oh wait sorry, my post had a typo.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2020 9:46 PM

"Farther" has always described physical distance. Easy to remember, it begins with "far." You now hear weather and traffic reporters say "further north."

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 9:47 PM

Ridiculous old white fags correcting people instead of accepting change and living life. Here on DL. Hitting the bottle early on Friday night! The world exists beyond your pedantic preoccupations.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 9:47 PM

I don’t see what’s wrong with that either, r30.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2020 9:48 PM

So, if I say I have the same right to use to the common definition of "begging the question" as you have to use that complicated "circular argument" legalese palabrafication, Bootsy, which one of us is doing the begging? Seriously, situations in which I might use the so-called real definition seem not to figure in my life.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2020 9:48 PM

His car was literally as big as a mountain.

Literally. It now means the opposite of, well, literally.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2020 9:49 PM

Drink, drank, drunk, r33.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 9:50 PM

R11, when I haven't used correct English here, I appreciated people giving me a heads-up on what I should have written.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]Seriously, situations in which I might use the so-called real definition seem not to figure in my life.

We could all go around making up definitions for anything, but it's probably best to stick to the real definitions of words and phrases to avoid misunderstanding...and looking ignorant.

The fact that your life appears to be so, ahem, limited doesn't change the definitions of words and phrases, no matter how learned you want to sound.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2020 9:51 PM

R30 - I read somewhere that "have went" replacing "have gone" was the number one most prevalent change in English. It sure sounds incorrect to me every time I hear it.

I've noticed in many TV shows that virtually no one knows how to use pronouns correctly in English.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2020 9:51 PM

HUH? Nobody knows what you should have written. Express yourself bitch.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2020 9:52 PM

I guess that depends on whether you need valid reasons to be given to you for explanations, r35. Maybe in your life that’s not necessary, but I’m not sure why you’re arguing that it’s not unduly complicated just because that’s the case.

I need people to explain why they want to do something in my job every day.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2020 9:52 PM

^^* that it’s unduly complicated

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 9:53 PM

Even your reason for explanation of the use of a phrase that no one ever says or writes is unduly complicated. Don't you have stray hairs to pluck Bootsy Gumdrip?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2020 9:56 PM

For the last few years, TV reporters have told us that a person "went missing." What did they say before that phrase was invented? Another recent police term is "Person of Interest."

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2020 9:57 PM

I have to agree, r39. Words and expressions have meaning, and there’s typically a good reason for that. I’ve already acknowledged that alternative definitions often become acceptable if used enough, and I’ve not claimed I’m about to go postal over it or anything. But what’s wrong with being precise and correct in communication? It’s rather funny that there’s an attempt to put me on the defensive about that.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2020 9:58 PM

People used to be "charged with" committing a crime, now they’re "charged for" committing one. Does the DA send them a bill, or is it a cash transaction?

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2020 10:12 PM

It’s on uber law now, r47

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2020 10:14 PM

Gurl I just Got my hair did.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2020 10:15 PM

I expect soon when we look up "literally" in the dictionary, there’ll just be a blank space where the definition used to be.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2020 10:16 PM

It is "based on," not "based off."

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2020 10:16 PM

[quote]We could all go around making up definitions for anything, but it's probably best to stick to the real definitions of words and phrases to avoid misunderstanding...and looking ignorant.

I didn't make anything up, though.

[quote]The fact that your life appears to be so, ahem, limited doesn't change the definitions of words and phrases, no matter how learned you want to sound.

The fact, ahem, that you're, ahem, such a condescending cunt doesn't mean I changed the definition of "begs the question." And your being such a, ahem, condescending cunt does absolutely nothing to sway me to use your (archaic?) definition.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2020 10:16 PM

And it’s a hair salon based out of Melbourne, Florida.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2020 10:16 PM

The demise of ‘its’.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote] And your being such a, ahem, condescending cunt does absolutely nothing to sway me to use your (archaic?) definition.

Did you neglect to read the OP? The thread is about examples of English usage that you learned were wrong that are now seemingly acceptable. "Begging the question" fits the bill. That you didn't know or don't care about the previously correct use of the phrase is immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2020 10:22 PM

^ 😝🤩🙂🎀🎈❤️^

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2020 10:26 PM

The use of key as an adjective rather than a noun in apposition. "This measure is key" rather than "the key". This has also spawned abominations such as "very key".

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2020 10:27 PM

R33, I've never needed to "hit the bottle" to be pedantic. It's all natural.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote] R19: We've lost the battle on "awesome," but I preferred it when it meant "inspiring awe" (the Pyramids, great waterfalls, landing on the moon) rather than "somewhat good."

R19, DataLounge thread “Things that are awesome”.

I sometimes like using words like awesome to describe something bad that inspires awe in me. I know it’s queer, but queer is another word I like to occasionally use in its older meaning..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2020 10:34 PM

The incorrect use of subject pronouns and object pronouns is widespread.

On TMZ: "Today we got a story on Chris Hemsworth. [bold]Him[/bold] and his wife were shopping at. . ."

In movies and fictional TV shows: "Jim didn't dispose of the body. It was buried in a shallow grave by Mark and [bold]I[/bold]."

Do these shows hire editors at all?

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2020 10:38 PM

[quote]It is "based on," not "based off."

But will I get off if we get it on?

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2020 10:43 PM

I don’t mind it so much in dialogue, r60, because people talk like that.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2020 10:48 PM

Rigid grammar is classist.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote]Rigid grammar is classist.

Ain't that kinda the point of these ancient white fag threads on DL? Someone who would call themself Bootsy Gumjob is nothing if not an old racist gay man with nothing better to do than pick pick pick.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2020 10:55 PM

R64, I find it curious that you assume anyone who cares about correct word usage must be white and must be racist. What does that say about your opinion of people of color? That they would never be educated enough to care about language? Maybe that guy Bootsy isn't the one who is racist.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2020 11:18 PM

Maybe I know Bootsy better than you think, R65. He's nauseatingly ubiquitous. He's one ancient white racist fag. Grotesque and prissy, even in type. An example of his type. I know lots of educated men and women, but only on DL can you encounter something as antiquated as THAT. (him)

What is says about me is that I am a black man who pays attention. Smarter than all y'all.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2020 11:31 PM

*What it says about me is....

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 11:34 PM

as he, Him. That boot-drop. A speck of old dusty fuck.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote] Someone who would call themself Bootsy Gumjo

[quote] Maybe I know Bootsy better than you think

She is a shelter cat.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2020 11:47 PM

Okay, here comes the moment I get called a frau....

When did "better" become a verb? I'd say twice a week I come across a piece of writing (part of my job) that refers to someone "bettering" themselves, "bettering" the COVID situation, "bettering" one's self-esteem, and on and on. Does no one even consider the word "improve" anymore? It's such a simple option. I'm not asking for fucking "ameliorate" or even "enhance"!

Our language has become dumbed-down to the point of no return. I blame it all on the Kardashians. Why the fuck not?

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2020 12:51 AM

I don't "care" about usage--as OP said, I believe, language changes and that's okay.

I don't feel anybody judges your posts by grammar, usage, punctuation, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote] I don't feel anybody judges your posts by grammar, usage, punctuation, etc.

Welcome to DL.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2020 1:02 AM

"your best you"

Unless you're Sybil, how many "yous" can there be?

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2020 1:15 AM

R57, do you object to "key" as an adjective in general or only when used as a predicate adjective? I ask because "key" as an adjective is long established. "This will be a key measure of our success." I agree that it sounds like business jargon after the verb, but is it wrong? I can't find anything online to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2020 8:47 AM

I cringe whenever I see "would of" for "would've". As far as I know, it hasn't been accepted as standard English, but it's becoming increasingly common as more and more communication happens in written form. I don't think the people who write "would of" or "should of" and are infuriated by so-called grammar Nazis who correct them realize how ignorant and poorly educated these errors make them seem.

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2020 8:54 AM

And then there's the use of "would have" instead of "had".

"If I would've known you were going to the party, I would've gone, too."

Why do people say/write this? It sounds stupid.

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2020 8:58 AM

I hear things like "I wish I would have" so often that I've started to wonder if I'm wrong for using 'had."

It's almost a relief when they write "would of." At least then I know who deserves the vicious face slapping.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2020 10:17 AM

" Be best."

by Anonymousreply 78September 19, 2020 11:40 AM

“Predominately” is a made-up word, but is accepted by Merriam Webster because it’s used by predominantly Black people and it would be racist to correct them.

by Anonymousreply 79September 19, 2020 11:57 AM

“As equally ____ as”

Example: “stevia is as equally sweet as sugar”

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2020 11:59 AM

Whom will die out with the boomers.

by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2020 12:14 PM

So, so many:

When reading a large number, including an “and”....346 should be “three hundred forty six,” not “three hundred and forty six.”

“In regards to” always makes my skin crawl.

The constant use of “yeah” in TV broadcasts. The anchor will say, “Steven Romo has more on this story.”. Cut to Steven Romo, who says, “Yeah, Jeff, well the accident happened....”

“Conversating,” unless its use is clearly sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2020 1:07 PM

I don't get bent out of shape about slang in casual conversation. I just hate when it becomes okay in regular/formal conversation.

I also hate, "I seen" when it should be "I saw" and all this "myself" business. Gee willikers.

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2020 1:15 PM

Impact as a verb.

by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2020 1:18 PM

[quote] "If I would've known you were going to the party, I would've gone, too." Why do people say/write this? It sounds stupid.

Maybe I’m stupid then. Spelling it out I don’t get where the “had” belongs.

"If I would have known you were going to the party, I would have gone, too."

You wouldn’t say "If I would had known you were going to the party, I would have gone, too.”

Or are you saying it should be "If I had known you were going to the party, I would have gone, too”?

by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] Ridiculous old white fags

[quote]these ancient white fag threads on DL?

[quote] He's one ancient white racist fag.

F&F this vile racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 86September 19, 2020 1:40 PM

I may be wrong about this one but it’s jarring whenever I hear it:

I was always taught you don’t “try and” do something, you “try to” do something.

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote] Or are you saying it should be "If I had known you were going to the party, I would have gone, too”?

Correct.

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2020 2:01 PM

Thanks, r88.

Now I get what you were saying.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2020 2:03 PM

The word “whom” deserves a defender.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2020 2:06 PM

Will in the first person instead of shall.

by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2020 2:39 PM

Will in the first person instead of shall.

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] I don't feel anybody judges your posts by grammar, usage, punctuation, etc.

You couldn’t be wronger.

by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2020 3:14 PM

My english has become worser since I've been here.

by Anonymousreply 94September 19, 2020 3:18 PM

"Anyways". Sounds so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 95September 19, 2020 10:05 PM

Grates on my ears, r95.

by Anonymousreply 96September 19, 2020 10:07 PM

Like, totally

by Anonymousreply 97September 19, 2020 10:55 PM

Drug for dragged

Better then for better than

A couple times for a couple of times

by Anonymousreply 98September 19, 2020 11:12 PM

Snuck for sneaked.

Dove for dived.

Descriptivists accept these usages but the better class of grammarians do not.

by Anonymousreply 99September 19, 2020 11:27 PM

Is it "I've been rode hard" or "I've been ridden hard"?

by Anonymousreply 100September 19, 2020 11:35 PM

“what have you”

by Anonymousreply 101September 29, 2020 8:15 AM

"anyways" - average retard

by Anonymousreply 102September 29, 2020 8:22 AM

"Referring to the "amount" of people at a gathering, rather than the "number" of them."

It's all about covid these days, pet.

by Anonymousreply 103September 29, 2020 8:56 AM

Get educated ...instead of becoming educated.

Get licensed...instead of obtaining a license.

The use of the word 'get' instead of using proper grammar..

by Anonymousreply 104September 29, 2020 9:12 AM

I hate this slovenly habit of people being too lazy to even finish their own sentence. They say that something is "easy as …" and omit the last word.

by Anonymousreply 105September 29, 2020 9:27 AM

I'd like to defend the bemoaned use of "literally", based on the fact that it's used the same way in other languages. It's simply an exaggeration that drives the point home. Like saying "absolutely no one does that anymore", even though there are surely SOME people still doing it, whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 106September 29, 2020 9:28 AM

"Lay down" for "lie down" is everywhere. "Orientated". Pet peeve: "The thing is, is...", as if "thethingis" was a single noun that required a verb to form a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 107September 29, 2020 9:53 AM

The widely accepted use of "shot-dead" in professional journalism/writing drives me bananas. "A man in Lancaster was shot-dead Tuesday night during an attempted carjacking at the intersection of Elm & Third...."

It's fine if you're writing dialogue for an old-timey Western or something, but in journalism? NO. It is either "shot TO death" - or - "shot AND killed". You would never say someone was "stabbed-dead" or "bludgeoned-dead."

The first time I heard it used in a broadcast was approximately 8-10 years ago (re: the poor guy in Lancaster) and now it's commonplace.

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2020 6:00 PM

I learned English as a second language at school and our examination makes a big deal about "he has died." The correct version, according to our non-native national standard, should always be "he is dead."

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2020 6:16 PM

The phrase "begging the question" is the result of a mistranlastion, which explains why its meaning is not obvious.

[quote]The phrase begging the question originated in the 16th century as a mistranslation of the Latin petitio principii, which in turn was a mistranslation of the Greek for "assuming the conclusion".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 29, 2020 6:33 PM

I'm English and I'm flummoxed when I hear Americans use 'weird-ass' as an adjective.

It makes no sense at all to me.

by Anonymousreply 111September 30, 2020 3:25 AM

I wonder what American universities are teaching.

It seem this person is an Arts Major—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 30, 2020 3:28 AM

'Busting a move' makes no sense. Is 'busting' a transitive verb or intransitive?

by Anonymousreply 113September 30, 2020 3:34 AM

Everyone in high school should be required to read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

by Anonymousreply 114September 30, 2020 8:25 AM

Literally now can mean figuratively.

I hate how obviously wrong usage becomes 'acceptable' rather than being called out.

by Anonymousreply 115September 30, 2020 8:37 AM

Price point when price is only required.

Price point when meaning price range.

by Anonymousreply 116September 30, 2020 8:47 AM

Says instead of said.

by Anonymousreply 117September 30, 2020 8:48 AM

Surreal. Everything seems to be surreal. It's the new awesome.

by Anonymousreply 118September 30, 2020 8:49 AM

“Price is only required” when it should be “price only is required, or better yet, “only price is required.”

by Anonymousreply 119September 30, 2020 8:51 AM

[quote] "anyways" - average retard

So are people who don’t read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 120September 30, 2020 1:05 PM

[quote] I hate this slovenly habit of people being too lazy to even finish their own sentence. They say that something is "easy as …" and omit the last word.

Look, r105, I’m not going to argue with you. I can’t even.

End of.

by Anonymousreply 121September 30, 2020 1:07 PM

I hear "I could care less" so often it almost seems acceptable. But we know better.

by Anonymousreply 122September 30, 2020 1:23 PM

I generally agree with the sentiments of the above 122 posts.

I know that I get furious at the hijacking of words now. But I wonder if I were 40 years older and whether I would be protesting at the hijacking of the word "gay"?

by Anonymousreply 123September 30, 2020 10:13 PM

"gifted me"

by Anonymousreply 124September 30, 2020 10:16 PM

The way people just throw in an "I can't even..." and, as R121 points out, it sounds ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 125September 30, 2020 10:59 PM

Sir Harold Evans died this week.

I think it was he who forbade his employee journalists from using the adjective 'famous'. He said it was redundant.

by Anonymousreply 126September 30, 2020 11:05 PM

I think the four letter word 'sh_t' to signify excrement is unacceptable.

So I cringe that people now use the word as to signify 'personal belongings'. And I cringe at the title of the video at R112.

by Anonymousreply 127September 30, 2020 11:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!