Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Big Chill

I got a mailer from my grief counselor and it was suggesting different media that deal with losing a loved one. In movies it suggested The Big Chill. I've never seen this movie before, but looked up the previews on YouTube and it looks very dated. Like it would've been a good movie at the time and given the actors it would've been great, but it just doesn't look like it would've survived the '80s.

So, DLers would this be a good movie for me to rent? I've been looking for a movie to watch anyway and I figure I could start with this.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 12:45 AM

I'd skip it. The acting's atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 6:14 AM

I would skip it. Very dated, very Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 6:18 AM

It's like a decent sitcom with better music. For me it was more about aging and friendship than grieving. If you're in the mood for something light, you might enjoy it. Hurt and Berenger are hot here!

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 6:21 AM

Terms of Endearment or Steel Magnolias are actually better if you want an 80s movie about grief.

There is very little actual grieving in The Big Chill besides G's crying in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 6:23 AM

R1, let me guess M. The movie would've been better if it was after G's funeral, right?

R4, I've never seen Terms of Endearment, but I've seen Steel Magnolias. Now THAT movie had me bawling. Given my emotions have been out of whack it's best if I avoid that. Beaches is another movie that kills me too.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 6:27 AM

Time machine to the 80’s. Watch it you are in the mood for that. I don’t know if it is particularly emotionally triggering or relieving. Kind of a boring relationship movie.

Funnily enough, Up ( animated) is a really good movie that gets me all choked up. Terms of Endearment is very good and very emotional

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 6:30 AM

Watch a Bollywood film for helping with grief. Di Chaata Hai is good. Nice eye candy too.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 6:32 AM

That scene in Terms where the daughter says goodbye to her boys is so powerful. The youngest boy crying makes you feel his pain and grief.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 6:34 AM

Fun fact. One of Kevin Costner's first roles. He plays the dead guy. His speaking parts were cut.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 6:45 AM

R6, Everyone I've known who's watched Up has said they've cried through it.

A little story about why Beaches gets me. My grandpa loves Wind Beneath My Wings and it kind of became my grandparents song. Right before my grandpa died he had been in the hospital with a brain bleed. He had been in and out the whole time. My grandma never left his side. At one point he woke up and said to my grandma, "Did you ever know that you're my hero?" That was the last thing he said to her and died a few days later. So, when that song plays when Barbara Hershey's character dies, I lose it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 6:49 AM

Agree about Terms. I love Shirley and happy she won but Winger's scene in the hospital room telling her sons she is going to die is the best acting of the entire film. Even almost 40 years later, that scene feels almost voyeuristic.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 6:51 AM

What Dreams May Come

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 6:52 AM

I can't imagine that The Big Chill would have aged well.

Return of the Secaucus Seven (1979) made 4 years earlier is far superior and still plays really well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 6:56 AM

OP: is this movie on that list? You might suggest the counselor consider it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 6:57 AM

Truly Madly Deeply is great. It’s about letting go of an all-encompassing grief and starting to live again. Superbly acted by Alan Rickman and the woman who plays his partner.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 7:11 AM

Yes, totally agree with R15. Juliet Stephenson and Rickman are fantastic in it. Best of all for OP's purposes, it's hopeful and affirming at the end.

The Big Chill isn't so much about grieving a person as it's about grieving lost youth and pining for The Good Old Days.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 7:26 AM

OT: Juliet Stevenson is also great in the 3 part THE POLITICIAN’S WIFE.

It’s divided into episodes on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 7:37 AM

I saw it way back when, and can hardly remember anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 7:39 AM

I like the Big Chill a lot. It certainly has some pointed ideas about friendship and aging, as well as college activist idealism giving way to the realities of life. But I would not recommend as a movie about grieving.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 9:03 AM

"For me it was more about aging and friendship than grieving"

R3 summed it up. For Xer's like myself, it mostly displays our parents generation at their most obnoxious. Self-centered, self-absorbed, perhaps one-time-activists but now obsessed with dollars and greed... Then they hilariously pine for the good ol' days of being broke and having a cause while they bask in the beauty of their vacation home and check the Dow Jones. I jest, but that is a recurring theme to this movie. While Kevin Costner's dead character is mentioned and some characters feign grief, they are mostly interested in sleeping with each other, getting drunk and high and generally moaning about all of their amassed fortunes and stellar careers. The movie was old by the time I first saw it but it represented a selfish streak that a percentage (certainly not ALL) of Boomers sometimes display and I felt like I was watching my parent's friends on vacation. I think the film was primarily known for its soundtrack and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 9:21 AM

papi chulo

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 9:33 AM

God, I hated that soundtrack! My college roommates freshman year had discovered it and -- since they weren't really musical, they just played and re-played it all the time, and I swear I was thisclose to strangling them both if I had to hear "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" one more time.

Split with them for sophomore year and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 9:43 AM

I loved the soundtrack and had it, or rather them (they were two albums, maybe the first time they did the "more music from" thing?), but I can totally see being driven crazy by a roommate constantly playing it. A character in the movie even says at one point, "Do you have any music from *this* century?"

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 12:00 PM

Ya want grieving? I'll give you grieving...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 12:07 PM

The Big Chill is the originator of the kitchen dance to 60s soul-pop trope in movies!

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 12:36 PM

The soundtrack really did make this movie. Big Chill was one of the first to do an oldies heavy soundtrack. Previously, movies might have one or two oldies, but this movie had more than a dozen.

Similarly, as noted, the soundtrack album sold a gazillion copies because the soundtrack was so good. And yes, it even had a second soundtrack album released with even more oldies on it. It helped prove there was an audience for oldies and helped pave the way for many oldies radio stations to launch soon after when the FCC approved more local radio stations.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 12:52 PM

"Previously, movies might have one or two oldies, but this movie had more than a dozen."

Tell that to American Graffiti

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 12:56 PM

The most annoying thing about it was the soundtrack. People acted like they’d never heard ‘60s songs before.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 1:43 PM

I did think it was weird that nearly all the songs were Motown, rather than hippie stuff. These were supposed to be '60s radicals, but their anthem was Ain't Too Proud to Beg?

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 2:08 PM

OP, try "The Prince of Tides." I think I even read the book (Pat Conroy). You could probably find an audio book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 5:01 PM

Were the sixties radicals? Wouldn't they have been in college in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 11:53 PM

Terms of Endearment is a cliche-fest. Steel Magnolias is a camp fest. Big Chill is filled with cartoon characters and weak acting—-without the soundtrack. One would have gone to see it. Get a new therapist because they are throwing junk at you.

Secaucus Seven Is a much better film sdespite having been made on zero budget. Unlike Big Chill it real is about relationships and what happens to people after college.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!