Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RIP the great cultural critic Stanley Crouch

He was one of the greatest writers ever on jazz, and hugely affected the discourse about music and about race in America.

But I will always love him most for giving pretentious cunt Dale Peck a vicious face slapping in the streets of Greenwich Village for giving his novel a bad review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 6:44 AM

OH, yes. Let's celebrate the cunt who physically assaulted a person for a bad review.

Fuck you, OP.

Crouch wasn't merely a twat - he did good work. But your loving someone for giving someone else a pimp slap (not a "vicious face slapping") shows you to be just another racist. If Peck had slapped Crouch you'd still be screeching about it. Never mind that Peck is gay and Crouch was straight, right?

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 12:17 AM

Right or wrong, the slap resounds forever now in the literary annals of New York. It will be Dale's claim to fame.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 12:25 AM

Attention, orderlies! We seem to have a problem with our patient at r1. Please bring a straitjacket. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 12:52 AM

Wait. Let me get this right: I am being racist specifically because I said in all sincerity that I approve that a talented black straight man (whom I also praised to the skies) once slapped an obnoxious white gay man?

Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense, r1.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 3:48 AM

Allegedly, Stanley Crouch was the inspiration for the character Uncle Ruckus on The Boondocks.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 3:49 AM

Slapping a critic for a bad review? What a childish asshole he was.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 3:54 AM

Dale Peck hugely deserved the slapping. He wrote gratuitously nasty reviews just to get attention. His were the nastiest since John Simon--and at least John Simon was highly educated. Peck was just a loudmouth desperate for negative attention... and boy, did he get it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 4:00 AM

I have to say I never enjoyed reading Stanley Crouch.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 6:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!