Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kroger Workers FIRED For NOT Wearing Rainbow Uniform

Two women said they were FIRED because they refused to wear their uniform, as it had a rainbow heart.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is taking up their case! Suing grocery chain Kroger

“The women believed the emblem endorsed LGBTQ values and that wearing it would violate their religious beliefs,” says an EEOC press release. The suit alleges the company violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans religious discrimination in employment.

The two, Brenda Lawson and Trudy Rickerd, worked at a Kroger store in Conway, Ark., near Little Rock. They have “sincerely held religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin,” according to the EEOC complaint, filed Monday in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas.

Lawson, a deli worker who had been with Kroger since 2011, had offered to cover the heart with a name tag. Rickerd, a cashier who’d been a Kroger worker since 2006, had given management a letter outlining her objections to the symbol.

“The complaint alleges retaliation on the part of Kroger, arguing that other employees who simply did not wear the apron or who covered the heart symbol were not disciplined and were treated more favorably than Lawson and Rickerd,” the Democrat-Gazette reports.

“Companies have an obligation under Title VII to consider requests for religious accommodations, and it is illegal to terminate employees for requesting an accommodation for their religious beliefs,” Delner-Franklin Thomas, district director of the EEOC’s Memphis District Office, which has jurisdiction over Arkansas, Tennessee, and portions of Mississippi, said in the press release. “The EEOC protects the rights of the LGBTQ community, but it also protects the rights of religious people.”

The suit seeks back pay, compensatory damages, and punitive damages for the women, help with their job search and relocation expenses, and an order barring Kroger from engaging in such discrimination in the future. The EEOC filed it after trying to reach an out-of-court settlement with the company.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2020 8:24 AM

You .. must... love .. .meeeeeee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 11:47 PM

Of course it was Brenda and Trudy.

Cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 11:48 PM

If they weren't wearing the uniform, were they just wearing their bras, panties, and control top pantyhose? Because that's just not a good look for a family market, Brenda and Trudy!

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 1:55 AM

This is a ridiculous lawsuit. Here's a picture of some employees wearing the badge. That's not a gay rights symbol, and Kroger never said it was. It's not even a rainbow. No reasonable observer would think that the heart stands for gay rights. What's shocking is that the EEOC would file suit for such a meritless case. Anyone can hire a private attorney to file baseless complaints in court, but the EEOC isn't obligated to take meritless cases. This has Trump Administration written all over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 2:03 AM

r4: but...but.. Trump loves the gays!

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 3:46 AM

R5 that;s right!

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 10:14 PM

I stand with the workers on this one.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 10:19 PM

To be more specific, I stand with the right of these workers to not have to be compelled to endorse a cause they do not champion.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 10:22 PM

R7, that's fine, but then all uniform rules have to go. An employee who doesn't want to champion the cause of Kroger shouldn't be required to wear anything that says Kroger either.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 10:26 PM

R7, they just as easily might consider the Kroger logo to be Satanic. Should they be accommodated?

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 10:27 PM

If the company says "wear this tshirt" wear the fuckin shirt. If you don't like it quit. You didnt want to follow the fucking rules, don't biitch and whine when you get canned

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 10:33 PM

Apples to cinder blocks, R9. When they voluntarily agree to work for an employer like Kroger they at least implicitly recognize that wearing the company uniform is part of the deal.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 10:34 PM

R12, Kroger made the heart badge part of the uniform. Didn't you read the article, dumbass?

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Why I Won't Wear A Kroger Uniform, by Deidre Hall.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Who says that a rainbow equals homosexual?

I say it's an appropriation of a natural weather phenomena to promote a political agenda.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 10:38 PM

I’ve never known a Brenda who wasn’t a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 10:39 PM

The badge isn't even a fucking rainbow!! It's light blue, red, yellow, dark blue. THAT'S NOT A RAINBOW!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 10:42 PM

r16 = Carleton , The Doorman

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 10:42 PM

We are suiing because we do not want to wear the rainbow they haven't added to the uniform.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 10:46 PM

LOL at the political agenda idiots. If you don't like the way the company thinks, don't work there.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 10:46 PM

I bet these two gladly took the company's shit the rest of the time. But they draw the line when it comes to this. Nuts.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 10:49 PM

One more reason to vote that mother fuckin' asshole out. Next year, all these agencies need to be purged with no apologies.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 10:50 PM

What does the United Food & Commercial Workers International Union have to say about this example of poor communication and the resultant misunderstanding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 10:55 PM

Companies shouldn't be able to make you wear anything that isn't strictly job related, i.e., necessary to the performance of your actual job. Anything else, it should be up to the employees, acting through their union, to decide whether they want to wear it. That said, the claim here is not that the company is making them wear something for no good reason, it's that wearing the badge discriminates against them on the basis of religion, and that is absolutely ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 11:01 PM

Someone put these two up to this EEOC suit, I'm guessing.

I suspect this is a GOP agitprop maneuver to influence the election with a trusty wedge issue for gay haters.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 11:02 PM

OP's Breitbart headline makes me doubt his sincerity on these here gay boards

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 11:02 PM

It's not even a proper rainbow... Light Blue, Red, Yellow and Dark Blue, that's it? My 3-year-old niece would draw those three colors into a rainbow. What did Orange, Green, Purple do to be excluded from the party? I guess I'll have to stop watching the Wizard of Oz, something about that rainbow song doesn't sit well with me. Kermit will have to be banned as well. We don't need no rainbow connections...

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 11:11 PM

They are hiding behind civil rights laws to defend their homophobia in court? Fuck that shit! Any lawyer who takes this case is a shyster who should be disbarred.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 11:17 PM

R13, of course Kroger added their (laudable) support for LGBTQ rights to its standard uniform. But it's the standard uni the workers signed-on to wear. Not one supporting a political cause with which they did not sympathize. Is that really so hard to comprehend, dumbass?

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 11:18 PM

If they were Muslim they'd win the case automatically.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 11:26 PM

R29, Kroger uniforms change over time, just like any other company. By your logic, someone who's been working at Kroger for 25 years should be able to wear the same style uniform that was around in 1995. And those who were hired 10 years ago can wear a different uniform. The company can't make them wear anything different, according to you, because when they were hired that was an implicit part of the contract. Kind of defeats the whole idea of a "uniform," doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 11:36 PM

Mea farrow! I wrongly assumed Kroger was showing its support for LGBTQ rights.

But the larger point remains. Would anyone's opinion here have changed if Kroger was insisting that its employees wear a pro-LGBTQ rights uniform?

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 11:58 PM

Let's say the badge was actually a rainbow heart, and Kroger told its employees that it was a pro-LGBTQ badge. What I don't get is why these employees think being required to wear it is religious discrimination. Do they think wearing an employer-mandated badge is making them "support" LGBTQ rights? How is wearing the badge lending support in that way? If customers know it's part of the uniform, they'll know it doesn't necessarily represent the personal views of the employee wearing it, so it's not like customers are going to suddenly think, gee, I didn't like gays before, but all these employees are being forced to wear rainbow badges, so I'm going to change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 12:08 AM

"Shit. Just wait til Brenda and Trudy get their Black Lives Matter at Kroger bonnets."

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2020 12:25 AM

This corporation is using us a marketing tool, whether we like it or not.

Kroger just loves transvestites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2020 2:08 AM

I’ll never forgive the time my boss made me wear a mask with a bear flag on it! That’s not who I am or what I stand for! Only worse because I knew what’d happen if I didn’t!

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2020 2:16 AM

Asking these religiously-principled women to wear homosexual paraphernalia is just the same as an employer DEMANDING we wear religious paraphernalia like crucifixes, stigmata and burkas.

It's WRONG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 2:42 AM

Their husbands are gay.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2020 3:47 AM

I'm sick and tired of seeing the gay flag being used as a political weapon to torment and fire people! Remember when it symbolized peace and unity? Liberals are the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2020 4:44 AM

Christ r39. You're a one trick pony shitting that trick all over threads. Yeah. Liberals sure are divisive.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2020 5:01 AM

I guarantee you the women that boycotted the badge are non-heterosexuals with something to prove to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2020 5:05 AM

Their employers held the sincere belief that people they were paying should either wear the damn uniform or GTFO.

Case dismissed!

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2020 5:14 AM

Who?! Who won’t wear the ribbon?!?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 6:01 AM

Why are some people so hateful?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2020 6:04 AM

What fucking morons. Losing your job over something like a new uniform? And neither the heart symbol or matching up red, yellow, and blue have any clear connection to the Gay, The LGBT, or the LGBTQ Communities. These right wing snowflakes make an issue over nothing. Thought they have an easy way out and cash in with a settlement or make money off their right wing conservative peers?

A week ago some troll started a thread about a supposed anti gay action involving a supposed gay flag that wasn't a gay flag at all. It also featured a heart shaped symbol. Is that some new trolling where rigth wing idiots don't even know what the Gay Pride flag looks like, but want to stir up shit in the Gay / LGBT / LGBTQ Community?

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2020 6:13 AM

It’s pretty sad using your religion to justify any form of bigotry. That ‘s what should be debated here. There are Christians that believe in gay rights. These two are bigots, that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2020 6:26 AM

In no way does that badge resemble a rainbow to me and I would never have presumed that one was intended in its rendering. Have people forgotten how many colors the rainbow flag actually HAS?

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2020 6:46 AM

Not a rainbow. Just the three primary colors, assembled randomly around a heart. Not even in the order from which you'd assemble a rainbow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2020 7:17 AM

"To be more specific, I stand with the right of these workers to not have to be compelled to endorse a cause they do not champion."

Well, Listen to Miss High and Mighty Shop Girl!

Just wear the uniform, bitch. Be thankful you're not twirling a sign in a chicken costume with two masks on because that homeless guy keeps trying to hock a loogie into your face and you've already been cautioned by the cops about hitting people with your sign.

I shouldn't have hit that lady in the business suit, but that roller skating kid was totally worth it.

It's already got like, 250k views.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2020 8:13 AM

R7, then you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2020 8:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!