Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Some DL Open Questions?

I know this site is from 1995 but is there a wiki? I had to stumble upon how to reference another comment by doing R1 or whatever by someone explaining it in a random thread. I still don't know how to bold or reference quotes in comments. Another person thought you had to pay to post a thread.

A lot of other forums have sections to talk about News, Politics, Sex, Sports, etc.? Wouldn't that make things more organized and allow people to focus on topics they enjoy? Seems to be an endless stream of mish mashed threads.

Has there ever been talk of a live chat feature? I'm 50/50 on whether that would funny as hell or horribly insane on here.

I've heard people mention that you used to be able to post animated gifs? Why did that go away?

Any explanations are appreciated. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 12:35 AM

There's a help but it only shows up as an icon on the web version.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 11:15 PM

There is a live chat, OP, but you have to transfer your old Manvox registration to enable it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 11:19 PM

I think it sounds nice, but then segments would cause the iconic DL threads of the past to never occur. Think of Pasta Gate, it's the random people that see something like that trending on DL or at the top of the page that leads to the variety of anecdotes we see on here. If everyone could find their own section and remain there it would make DL less prone to good conversations. If the thread is good it will be hot with comments as it remains close to the top.

In theory I'd like to never enter another thread from people bashing MM and Harry, but I just accept that I'll have to scroll past that troll farm for greener pastures.

Tasteful Threads (my reoccurring favoring DL posts) would be really dull because the same people would monopolize the space. Instead have a mix of the regulars with random posters familiar with say an area and possibly starting an interesting tangent about a community. The random nature of DL's threads lead to the fun conversations.

The damn search bar needs to be fixed. Threads should have #s to assist with categorizing the searches. I think that could be a happy medium between the current system and a more categorical DL.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 11:21 PM

OP and her fancy new ideas are going to find themselves at the bottom of the river wearing concrete shoes.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 11:23 PM

R2 is Manvox a real thing or are you fucking with me? Sounds made up.

R3 I definitely see that perspective and something to consider.

R4 I don't want to die! I'm just asking harmless little itty bitty questions aren't I? 🥺

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 11:29 PM

Oh, I’m rooting for you!

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 11:33 PM

Real, R5. Really real.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote] Any explanations are appreciated.

You will have to visit the Datalounge Chaturbate channel for answers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 11:36 PM

Here you go, Corky...I mean OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 11:37 PM

R6 Are you rooting for me to die or to live? I'm so confused now!

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 11:38 PM

Just create a thread and address Muriel in the title, OP. She'll notice she's been tagged and then answer all your questions.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 11:40 PM

OHHHH! So that's how you bold! I'm gonna try, stand back.....

[bold] Did it work???[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 11:40 PM

If you've been here even one day, you'd have noticed the innumerable comments about what a dump the site is. Enough with the faux naïveté. It's not cute.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 11:41 PM

COOOOOL! Thanks R9! Do I owe you a bj or something? I have no other currency.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 11:41 PM

R13 it's not "faux"

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]COOOOOL! Thanks [R9]! Do I owe you a bj or something? I have no other currency.

Thanks, I'm good. Just promise me you'll leave Darfur Orphan your stuff after you plotz from the over-excitement.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 11:48 PM

R16 Deal!

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 11:49 PM

^ OP

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 11:49 PM

The “mishmash” is a desirable feature of DL. It gives the site its crazy stream-of-consciousness quality. I like randomly discovering new ideas or information.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 11:57 PM

There was a Datalounge wiki OP that archived the origin of several popular topics such as red dragon cheese, baked potatoes,move it along toots,etc.... Unfortunately the wiki was recently shut down.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 12:03 AM

I am constantly amazed that new people come in here and don't click on all the buttons to see what they do. Your mothers must have slapped your hands for pushing buttons in your childhood, either that or you are completely void of curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!