Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could Mrs. Doubtfire Be Made Today?

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2020 6:27 AM

LOL, what a great question. No, probably. And thank Christ it was made, it's Robin Williams at his best.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 10:28 PM

By that do you suggest some kind of trans rubbish might prevent it being made today? FFS, it's a funny kids movie about a man who dresses up as a woman nanny/housekeeper so he can see his kids, nothing political about it. Grow up

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 10:29 PM

HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 10:30 PM

Probably not, Robin Williams has been dead for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 10:31 PM

Yes, of course. Bruce Jenner as Daniel Hillard/Mrs Doubtfire, Kris Jenner as Miranda, Jenner/Kardashian kids et. al as their kids. It would be a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 10:32 PM

We don't have anyone nearly that talented, now. RIP Robin Williams

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 10:32 PM

No...

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 10:34 PM

r5 We gotta call the cops! We gotta dial 911 now! Mrs. Doubtfire! He's a she! She's a he! He's a she-she. He's half-man, half-woman.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 10:39 PM

We have to stop referring to Caitlyn as if she were a real person

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 10:41 PM

I hate this obnoxious movie.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 10:47 PM

r10 is Mrs Sellner

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 10:48 PM

I have R10 blocked, she must be a malignant cunt

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 10:49 PM

Some woke cunt will remake it in the reverse, Reese Witherspoon dresses as a man to see her kids, hilarity will ensure; Mr Doubtfire

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 10:52 PM

Considering the musical version was already getting trans backlash before it even officially opened, I'd say not. They went after the Tootsie musical, too. I'm not sure what's so hard from some of these people to figure out. Neither of these characters identifies as trans, therefore, it's not a story about them.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 10:53 PM

Mr. Certaintywater

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 10:53 PM

My mother was a sour person but she liked Robin Williams after seeing Mrs. Doubtfire because Mrs Doubtfire reminded her of her mother. But her mother had an Irish accent whereas Williams sounded like he was going for a Scots Lite accent. But it’s true, my grandmother had a chin just like Robin Williams. She was not an attractive woman.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 10:53 PM

hilarity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 10:53 PM

I never realized it was a popular movie, but I guess it has been shown on cable so many times that every millennial kid has seen it a dozen times,

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 10:55 PM

r17 It must bee hell going threw life with you're condition

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 10:56 PM

cunts gonna cunt R19

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 11:00 PM

r20 Correcting grammar and spelling on a gay gossip site to make yourself feel better, you must get lots of sex.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 11:01 PM

She has a power tool in the bedroom dear, surprised she hasn't chipped her teeth

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 11:04 PM

I think it could be made today, but they would have to add a likeable character who is actually a cross-dresser, or trans, who Robin Williams' character gets to know on a personal level. Otherwise, the movie would be seen, probably rightfully, as trivializing a group of people and an issue that has become important in public life.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 11:05 PM

Yep. They'd probably make the brother makeup artist trans to shelter them from some of the blowback.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 11:08 PM

Only if it was a Tyler Perry Production™: Mrs. Madea.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 11:09 PM

It always annoyed me that Mrs Doubtfire referred to herself as English when she clearly had a Scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 11:09 PM

Truly, I'd rather not see anyone try to top Robin Williams in this role. Watching his performance now is like watching a master class. He's hysterically funny, but he's so warm and lovable and he sells the dramatic moments better than anyone else could. I'm surprised he didn't get an Oscar nom for this role. He's that good in the film. Better they come up with something along the lines of Tootsie or Some Like It Hot - another film that's similar, but not the exact same thing.

Perhaps he'd have been more likely to get a nomination if they'd kept this scene in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 11:11 PM

It always annoyed me that Mrs Doubtfire referred to herself as English when she clearly had a Scottish accent.

Sweetie, she had a rubber face and body padding, she wasn't real

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 11:14 PM

I think the trannies identify with Mrs. Doubtfire. Don't they claim to have hot flashes?

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 11:14 PM

It couldn't be played by a straight actor, but someone like Laverne Cox could play her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 11:18 PM

Trans issues are so important that they will change the shape of Hollywood comedies. Yes, I believe that.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 11:21 PM

First they'd have to get rid of the all-white cast.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 11:21 PM

OP, it's already been deemed problematic, so no, it probably couldn't be made today.

Roald Dahl's Matilda has also been criticized and likely wouldn't be developed into a movie or musical today either.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 11:27 PM

Why has Matilda been criticised, R34?

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 3:31 AM

R35, the book makes a masculine woman evil and a pretty, feminine woman is her victim and portrayed as an "ideal" woman. The musical was criticized for casting a man as Ms. Trunchbull.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 4:08 AM

No, some kind of trans rubbish might prevent it being made today!

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2020 5:48 AM

Mara Wilson who starred in both Matilda and Mrs Doubtfire believes that changing your biological sex is like changing your hair colour:

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2020 5:58 AM

Yes, because Chris Columbus isn't a TERF.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote]Neither of these characters identifies as trans, therefore, it's not a story about them.

All things are about trans. You will obey!

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2020 6:04 AM

[quote] Yes, because Chris Columbus isn't a TERF.

No, just a hack who ruined the first few [italic]Harry Potter[/italic] movies with his literalism and sub-Spielberg, John Hughes-influenced boomer mawkish sentimentality. [italic]Rent[/italic] would have been dated trash no matter who made it into a film.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2020 6:05 AM

[quote]I think it could be made today, but they would have to add a likeable character who is actually a cross-dresser, or trans, who Robin Williams' character gets to know on a personal level.

The transperson character could teach Robin Williams' character how harmful it is when he wears transface and turn it into a heartwarming teachable moment.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2020 6:07 AM

R41, have you read the source material, the first couple of Harry Potter books? Mawkish sentimentality from cover to cover. I'm not saying Chris Columbus is a great director, but you can't polish a turd.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2020 6:08 AM

Most trans girls are as humorless as psychotic as nomi Malone.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2020 6:12 AM

Joey Lawrence can play the role originated by his brother.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2020 6:18 AM

R42: That show already exists, and Robin was in the movie. It was called [italic]The World According to Garp[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2020 6:25 AM

[quote] Joey Lawrence can play the role originated by his brother.

He’s too old to play one of the Hilliard children. He was too old in 1993. He should play Uncle Frank.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2020 7:56 AM

I don't think so, OP. And on a recent rewatch i realized what a shitheel Robin's character was to Sally Field. It also doesn't help that Pierce Brosnan is charming as fuck in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2020 1:23 PM

[quote] And on a recent rewatch i realized what a shitheel Robin's character was to Sally Field.

I know! I didn't pick up on it as a kid, but as an adult you can see how manipulative he is. You can understand why she doesn't want him to have much time alone with the kids.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2020 1:39 PM

R49, that's what makes the film work for me. The beloved Robin Williams is actually playing against type in a way. His character is a childish, petulant man-baby who offloads all the hard work of parenting on his wife and makes her be the bad guy.

When he "becomes" a woman, he finally learns what it means to be the grownup in the group, but too late. He can only really be a good father when he's playing pretend.

It's a bonus that Field's character is deliberately made shrill and dowdy, so you start out sympathizing with him, not her. But astute viewers will reverse their sympathies by the end of the film. And it was a great touch to make Brosnan's character gentlemanly and mature, not a bad guy (the way Williams' character sees him, in his jealousy).

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote] It's a bonus that Field's character is deliberately made shrill and dowdy

They deliberately made Field’s character be an average wife so as to not take the focus off of Williams and to make his character relatable. The point of the movie is to show how a father came up with an out of the box solution for a common issue that husbands face.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2020 1:56 PM

[Quote] His character is a childish, petulant man-baby who offloads all the hard work of parenting on his wife and makes her be the bad guy.

I just want to slap him when he starts yelling at Sally (after the reveal) that she stole his kids from him. You know Mara Wilson needed some serious therapy after what went down lol

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote] he starts yelling at Sally (after the reveal) that she stole his kids from him.

Her stealing the kids and trying to isolate them from their father was the worst thing she did to him, but certainly not the only thing.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2020 2:10 PM

The trans would be out to kill the project. It could not be made today in this new 'woke' world that no longer possesses a sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Trans take it very seriously when they’re portrayed as insane. For some reason it really irks them.

Can’t think why.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2020 2:36 PM

Mrs. Doubtfire couldn't be made today not because of the premise of the film - man dresses as woman to be near his kids - but because of the penchant for turning fiction into a non-existent social/political reality.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2020 2:39 PM

R53 Robin's character has no ground to stand on after the manipulative shit he pulled as Mrs Doubtfire. He deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2020 2:41 PM

^^^ uncompromising, not non-existent ^^^

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2020 2:41 PM

I hope not. Terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2020 2:44 PM

WE SEE YOU WHITE MRS DOUBTFIRE

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2020 2:41 AM

I’m just glad they cut those endless scenes with Polly Holiday from the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2020 6:43 AM

Hot Jumbalaya!

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2020 6:47 AM

So, so much better than Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2020 7:00 AM

If they made it today, they wouldn’t get to open with a Chuck Jones cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2020 7:04 AM

Not without my daughter.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2020 7:14 AM

[quote] —although I'd be interested to see a Kubrick re-write of Harry Potter

Something tells me that isn't going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2020 7:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 7:20 AM

I love that this movie exists, and I've never seen it.

I think those with brains can discern intent. There is no anti-trans bent in this film. It's simply a movie about a father who wants to spend time with his kids. That, and Robin's performance, was the reason it was a hit.

And, thank goodness, because it helped green-light The Birdcage as well, I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2020 7:25 AM

Uncle Frank saying “why wasn’t I an only child?“ to Daniel when he needs the backup mask he just happened to have on hand now seems eerily prescient considering Harvey Fierstein has outlived Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2020 7:27 AM

I doubtfire it.

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2020 7:43 AM

"Could Mrs. Doubtfire Be Made Today?"

You mean right now? On Zoom? With facemasks?

Because with Trump fucking up the country with ignoring the virus we need another thread of some republican whining about being "censored" by the "Transtapo" Did Rush Limbaugh come up with that gem? He did give us "Feminazis."

That Rush! What a card! What a black boy raping pill junkie card! I think that card is the white of turds.

The Trump card of course is the orange of turds.

You might not want to handle the deck without gloves.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2020 7:56 AM

Uncle Frank was the best character.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2020 8:28 AM

Feminists would actually be justified in using the same tactics as Nazis at this point in time.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2020 8:37 AM

The film also used this song which celebrates trans people from the cis-perspective (WAY before its time). Makes me love the song even more. Steven Tyler and Aerosmith rule!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]this song which celebrates trans people from the cis-perspective

That song is about Mötley Crüe's Vince Neil

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2020 12:36 PM

Yes, it can be made and here is the perfect Mrs. Doubtfire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2020 12:50 PM

All Robin Williams ever did was jump up and down and shout nonsense like a four year old.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2020 1:04 PM

What about Aunt Jack? The notorious sloppy bottom of the Castro.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2020 1:44 PM

R66, Harry Potter was published two years before Kubrick died. Of course, it's irrelevant that Harry Potter became famous after Kubrick died because we can all playfully imagine how he would have adapted that, or any book (including ones published long before he died), into a movie.

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2020 2:47 PM

TRANS! TRANS! TRANS! EVERYTHING must be about TRANS!

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2020 7:18 PM

Not to mention it has a young man starring as an old woman in a children’s television show. Can you imagine explaing to your toddler that MrsDoubtfire is really a cis gender male who is sexually & culturally appropriating not bust another gender, but also generation & Scots women

by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2020 7:48 PM

It wasn't until after this movie that they started showing classic Bugs Bunny cartoons on TV less and less.

by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2020 8:41 PM

I find it hard to watch now knowing what an obnoxious, insufferable cunt Mara Wilson grew up to be.

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2020 8:49 PM

Matilda's parents were right all along.

by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2020 8:51 PM

R83 what's wrong with Mara??

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote] I just want to slap him when he starts yelling at Sally (after the reveal) that she stole his kids from him. You know Mara Wilson needed some serious therapy after what went down lol —Anonymous

There's a deleted scene that was supposed to be towards the end where the oldest girl says "I hate you both" after Mrs. Doubtfire is revealed to have been Daniel all along.

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2020 6:21 AM

It was mindless fun. But it's not in the Tootsie and Some Like It Hot atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2020 6:24 AM

I wonder whether a 140-minute cut that included some more of Polly Holiday's scenes and the resolution to the spelling bee business and the bus driver bits would still have been equally successful. It would likely have been dramatically more cohesive. Half of the cut parts flesh out the characters, the other half are just longer versions of things we already know.

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2020 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!