Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The $12 million Breonna Taylor settlement

Who gets the money- her mother? Her family? Will her mother share it with family?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2020 1:54 PM

Why do you care, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 5:16 PM

Interesting the pay-off came so fast - usually drags out for years.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 5:39 PM

If only I had some black American in my family...

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote] Why do you care, OP?

Seriously? Because those of us who pay taxes do not want a further epidemic of huge settlements without legal reasons and just to appease the loudest crowd. That gets passed onto the citizens in higher taxes or fees or services have to be reduced.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 5:44 PM

R3, you are wrong. Punitive damages may be awarded under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 when the defendant's conduct is shown to be motivated by evil motive or intent, or when it involves reckless or callous indifference to the federally protected rights of others. Punitive damages are meant to punish, or deter, illegal action, and are often multiple times greater than compensatory damages (simply making someone whole for their loss). Illegal action includes police breaking into the wrong house and murdering its occupants, which occurred here.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 5:45 PM

Her family’s not getting that money because she was a black American; they’re getting it because she was killed by police while lying in her bed in her own home. Do you wish that for a family member, you Nazi idiot?

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 5:46 PM

OP is a racist. He wouldn’t say shit about it if it was a white family. Shut the fuck up OP. Stupid racist cunts here. Fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 5:48 PM

R7,was for the vile and moronic “German gay guy” at r4.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 5:48 PM

R5, if you don't want settlements like this one, then you need to convince your local government to hire police that are minimally competent, i.e., cops who can read a map and don't break into the wrong house with guns blazing.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 5:49 PM

It will be gone in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 5:50 PM

Initially, I agreed with R3. But there doesn't appear to have been any court proceedings? Obviously they didn't want any.

So, Ben Crump gets a $3.6 million payday from this? I hope he donates a good portion of that instead of enriching himself.

I don't think this excludes any criminal charges - which are necessary.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 5:51 PM

Op have you started any other threads on white people receiving settlements and questioned how the were going to distribute their money. Exactly. The signature move that identifies racists is this.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 5:51 PM

Yeah, shut the fuck up R4, you racist fucking kraut. You “people” have nothing to offer the world except shitty food, shitty beer, shitty music, sexual perversion, and violence.

Just for that, the Taylor family should get $12 billion. Black Lives Matter more than you racist fucking Kraut sons of bitches ever have or ever will.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 5:52 PM

A jury would have awarded far more. This is the inevitable cost of allowing no-knock warrants to be executed by trigger-happy cops. If you don't like settlements like this, then get your city to ban no-knock warrants or get them to hire cops that are pussies who are afraid of their own shadows.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 5:55 PM

Louisville initially claimed that there was no video of the shooting. Then a photo taken after the shooting appeared showing a police officer with a body cam. The footage, presumably, was not helpful. At a minimum it might have supported her boyfriend’s claim that the police refused to provide any medical assistance to her as she lay dying.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 5:57 PM

So nobody gets punished except the taxpayers of Louisville.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 6:18 PM

It doesn't surprise me that rightwing shitstain JMac would pretend like these settlements "never used to be this large" or whatever.

The settlement included punitive damages, obviously.

Your "concerns" at r5 would be addressed by having cops, oh, I dunno, NOT RAIDING THE WRONG HOUSE AND MURDERING INNOCENT PEOPLE.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]Because those of us who pay taxes do not want a further epidemic of huge settlements without legal reasons

r5 I hope you aren't suggesting that you are part of some select group that pays taxes. Everyone pays taxes. You should sit outside your local police department to make sure they are doing their fucking jobs then, instead of complaining on the internet about it. And there will be more of these type settlements to whip law enforcement into shape, with the taxpayer knee is on the neck of the government.

[quote]just to appease the loudest crowd. This is how it works in the rest of the world my dear. You better start getting a loud voice or you to will be discarded by those more wealthy and powerful than you. Thats what its coming to. No more will Americans get to sweep injustice under the rug without consequence. Interesting how the standards are only raised when Americans actually have to put their money where their mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 6:36 PM

Her family settled very cheaply. Louisville got themselves a bargain basement deal

If this would have gone to court the family would have easily gotten 5 times this amount

The cops lied to a judge to obtain a warrant, broke into the wrong house, executed a woman and left her to die

And a court case could have opened up the state of Kentucky to it's own lawsuit

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 8:20 PM

I hope they get good financial advice and put a big part of that settlement in trusts for education of grandchildren. I hope they don't blow it all on nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 9:01 PM

People like that are hopeless with money. It will all be gone in a year.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Cities and localities have insurance policies that cover these situations. The city isn't not going to raise the sales tax rate to pay for it. In any case, I'm sure most of the residents of Louisville would be willing to pay a couple of cents extra for the added security of knowing that the cops will think twice before murdering them in their sleep.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote] Op have you started any other threads on white people receiving settlements and questioned how the were going to distribute their money. Exactly. The signature move that identifies racists is this.

You mean like Nick Sandman?

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 9:25 PM

[uote]People like that are hopeless with money. It will all be gone in a year.

People like that? OK then.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 9:32 PM

German gay guy is racist as fuck. I've seen a lot of his posts lately, and he is trash.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 9:39 PM

[quote] Cities and localities have insurance policies that cover these situations

Yes, and there are limits on every single insurance policy in the world. How much an insurance company pays depends on how much the city contributed to the death. A pattern of poor training and keeping a bad cop on the payroll limits how much the insurance company has to pay

And insurance doesn't just "pay for everything". The city will be lucky if the insurance company pays 40% of that settlement

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 2:25 AM

I'm sure they would rather have her alive than have all of this money.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 3:13 AM

The charges just guarantee that cops will continue this type of thing without correction. Those who didn't like the settlement, get your asses on the street to protest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2020 7:01 PM

Connie Marshall Louisville, KY resident targeted by the LVMP over ten years with many abuses. There are others beside her. Google her!

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2020 7:54 PM

And what if it is, r11?

What if it is?

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2020 8:19 PM

That's a lot of wigs.

by Anonymousreply 32September 23, 2020 10:43 PM

Folks aren’t happy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 23, 2020 11:03 PM

This is what I thought would be the outcome. That one cop who fired when he was still outside the apartment clearly kind of lost it and panicked. I get it, but it's not conduct that makes you capable of performing competently in these situations. That's why he was fired earlier.

Jemarcus Glover called this the day after Breonna's death. He said on a taped conversation that it was Kenneth's fault. And he was right.

by Anonymousreply 34September 23, 2020 11:15 PM

It needs to come out of police pension funds.

These assholes need consequences simple enough for someone with 6 wks training and a power trip to understand.

by Anonymousreply 35September 23, 2020 11:16 PM

Who is the troll who keeps repeating the lie that the police went to the wrong home.

They went to the right home. And no matter how many times you repeat that lie will not make it true.

The search warrant was to search for drugs, money and weapons and other paraphernalia related to the drug gang of which Taylor was a member. Her name and address was on the warrant. The warrant was based upon evidence in the way of surveillance videos, recorded conversations which showed Taylor was actively involved in holding money and being instructed to perform tasks for the gang, videos showing her car going to the "trap" (the main gang house they used to deal) to deliver packages, packages mailed to Jemarcus Glover (the leader of the drug gang and her former boyfriend) being accepted at her home (the address on the search warrant).

At first I just thought she was a stupid young woman letting her old bf stay at her house and letting him use her address for mail - though I figured someone that big a drug dealer she would have had to know what he was up to and should have been more careful in her connections. I just thought she felt it was none of her business. But after I read the investigative report and all the evidence of her involvement I realized she was very much a part of the drug dealing activities. I think her future would have been to cooperate and make a plea deal with her as a snitch or end up going to jail for a very long time. This gang was not to be messed with and was involved in at least one gang related murder. Despite the PR campaign to paint her as something else, she was not an innocent.

by Anonymousreply 36September 23, 2020 11:34 PM

R36, there was absolutely nothing that justified the execution of a no-knock warrant at her apartment in the middle of the night. It was an incredibly dangerous situation created by the officers themselves.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote] there was absolutely nothing that justified the execution of a no-knock warrant at her apartment in the middle of the night. It was an incredibly dangerous situation created by the officers themselves.

There was authorization for a no-knock warrant based on the evidence.

Though you could not simply cite the fact that it is drug related alone to get a no-knock warrant, you can if you proffer further evidence for the following circumstances: that it could be a dangerous situation (in this case the gang was known for weapons and was implicated in at least one murder involving a gun) or that weapons might be available to the residents of the targeted address (there was evidence of Breonna involved with handling weapons) or there is reason to believe that evidence sought would be destroyed (common in drug cases).

Only one of those three circumstances need be present to get a no-knock warrant in most jurisdictions and be valid within the dictates of Supreme Court rulings. All three of those circumstances were arguably present in the Breonna Taylor search warrant. The warrant also named her car as a search location because of the car’s involvement in taking packages to the trap aka the main drug selling hub of the gang.

Despite the circumstances being present for getting a no-knock warrant, the supervising officer for this operation ordered them to knock and announce. Which according to the DA’s announcement there was at least one witness who confirmed the execution of the warrant as knock and announce.

I’m only going on the facts as we know them.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2020 6:26 AM

She became an EMT so she could steal drugs. The truth always comes out, but too late.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2020 6:33 AM

Like anybody but THIS mutha fucka at R39 would ever BLINDLY believe ANYTHING the fucking Louisville Metro Police Department had to say about ANYTHING - EVER!!

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2020 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!