Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The $12 million Breonna Taylor settlement

Who gets the money- her mother? Her family? Will her mother share it with family?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318 hours ago

Why do you care, OP?

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2020

Interesting the pay-off came so fast - usually drags out for years.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2020

If only I had some black American in my family...

by Anonymousreply 409/16/2020

[quote] Why do you care, OP?

Seriously? Because those of us who pay taxes do not want a further epidemic of huge settlements without legal reasons and just to appease the loudest crowd. That gets passed onto the citizens in higher taxes or fees or services have to be reduced.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2020

R3, you are wrong. Punitive damages may be awarded under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 when the defendant's conduct is shown to be motivated by evil motive or intent, or when it involves reckless or callous indifference to the federally protected rights of others. Punitive damages are meant to punish, or deter, illegal action, and are often multiple times greater than compensatory damages (simply making someone whole for their loss). Illegal action includes police breaking into the wrong house and murdering its occupants, which occurred here.

by Anonymousreply 609/16/2020

Her family’s not getting that money because she was a black American; they’re getting it because she was killed by police while lying in her bed in her own home. Do you wish that for a family member, you Nazi idiot?

by Anonymousreply 709/16/2020

OP is a racist. He wouldn’t say shit about it if it was a white family. Shut the fuck up OP. Stupid racist cunts here. Fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2020

R7,was for the vile and moronic “German gay guy” at r4.

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2020

R5, if you don't want settlements like this one, then you need to convince your local government to hire police that are minimally competent, i.e., cops who can read a map and don't break into the wrong house with guns blazing.

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2020

It will be gone in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2020

Initially, I agreed with R3. But there doesn't appear to have been any court proceedings? Obviously they didn't want any.

So, Ben Crump gets a $3.6 million payday from this? I hope he donates a good portion of that instead of enriching himself.

I don't think this excludes any criminal charges - which are necessary.

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2020

Op have you started any other threads on white people receiving settlements and questioned how the were going to distribute their money. Exactly. The signature move that identifies racists is this.

by Anonymousreply 1309/16/2020

Yeah, shut the fuck up R4, you racist fucking kraut. You “people” have nothing to offer the world except shitty food, shitty beer, shitty music, sexual perversion, and violence.

Just for that, the Taylor family should get $12 billion. Black Lives Matter more than you racist fucking Kraut sons of bitches ever have or ever will.

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2020

A jury would have awarded far more. This is the inevitable cost of allowing no-knock warrants to be executed by trigger-happy cops. If you don't like settlements like this, then get your city to ban no-knock warrants or get them to hire cops that are pussies who are afraid of their own shadows.

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2020

Louisville initially claimed that there was no video of the shooting. Then a photo taken after the shooting appeared showing a police officer with a body cam. The footage, presumably, was not helpful. At a minimum it might have supported her boyfriend’s claim that the police refused to provide any medical assistance to her as she lay dying.

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2020

So nobody gets punished except the taxpayers of Louisville.

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2020

It doesn't surprise me that rightwing shitstain JMac would pretend like these settlements "never used to be this large" or whatever.

The settlement included punitive damages, obviously.

Your "concerns" at r5 would be addressed by having cops, oh, I dunno, NOT RAIDING THE WRONG HOUSE AND MURDERING INNOCENT PEOPLE.

by Anonymousreply 1809/16/2020

[quote]Because those of us who pay taxes do not want a further epidemic of huge settlements without legal reasons

r5 I hope you aren't suggesting that you are part of some select group that pays taxes. Everyone pays taxes. You should sit outside your local police department to make sure they are doing their fucking jobs then, instead of complaining on the internet about it. And there will be more of these type settlements to whip law enforcement into shape, with the taxpayer knee is on the neck of the government.

[quote]just to appease the loudest crowd. This is how it works in the rest of the world my dear. You better start getting a loud voice or you to will be discarded by those more wealthy and powerful than you. Thats what its coming to. No more will Americans get to sweep injustice under the rug without consequence. Interesting how the standards are only raised when Americans actually have to put their money where their mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 1909/16/2020

Her family settled very cheaply. Louisville got themselves a bargain basement deal

If this would have gone to court the family would have easily gotten 5 times this amount

The cops lied to a judge to obtain a warrant, broke into the wrong house, executed a woman and left her to die

And a court case could have opened up the state of Kentucky to it's own lawsuit

by Anonymousreply 2009/16/2020

I hope they get good financial advice and put a big part of that settlement in trusts for education of grandchildren. I hope they don't blow it all on nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 2109/16/2020

People like that are hopeless with money. It will all be gone in a year.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2020

Cities and localities have insurance policies that cover these situations. The city isn't not going to raise the sales tax rate to pay for it. In any case, I'm sure most of the residents of Louisville would be willing to pay a couple of cents extra for the added security of knowing that the cops will think twice before murdering them in their sleep.

by Anonymousreply 2309/16/2020

[quote] Op have you started any other threads on white people receiving settlements and questioned how the were going to distribute their money. Exactly. The signature move that identifies racists is this.

You mean like Nick Sandman?

by Anonymousreply 2409/16/2020

[uote]People like that are hopeless with money. It will all be gone in a year.

People like that? OK then.

by Anonymousreply 2509/16/2020

German gay guy is racist as fuck. I've seen a lot of his posts lately, and he is trash.

by Anonymousreply 2609/16/2020

[quote] Cities and localities have insurance policies that cover these situations

Yes, and there are limits on every single insurance policy in the world. How much an insurance company pays depends on how much the city contributed to the death. A pattern of poor training and keeping a bad cop on the payroll limits how much the insurance company has to pay

And insurance doesn't just "pay for everything". The city will be lucky if the insurance company pays 40% of that settlement

by Anonymousreply 2709/16/2020

I'm sure they would rather have her alive than have all of this money.

by Anonymousreply 2809/16/2020

The charges just guarantee that cops will continue this type of thing without correction. Those who didn't like the settlement, get your asses on the street to protest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2910 hours ago

Connie Marshall Louisville, KY resident targeted by the LVMP over ten years with many abuses. There are others beside her. Google her!

by Anonymousreply 309 hours ago

And what if it is, r11?

What if it is?

by Anonymousreply 318 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!