Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Ninth Gate (1999)

I was watching Roman Polanski's The Ninth Gate last night and had a few thoughts. Do these people really want to spend eternity in Hell with the Devil? Why?

I understand why people worship God, but why do they want the Prince of Darkness and the occult?

What do you guys think of Boris Balkan being tricked at the end by his "master?"

Also, Frank Langella is such a good actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2020 10:52 PM

The alternative is floating around in Heaven forever and ever. No food; no entertainment; no sex; no fun.

Forever.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 1:55 PM

The only film presentation of Satan I've seen was Al Pacino's in "The Devil's Advocate". Unlike you, I don't understand why people worship God since He doesn't exist so I don't see much difference between worshiping God or worshiping Satan. Either way, they are worshiping a man-made creation. I didn't care much for "The Ninth Gate". I found it to be rather lackluster and ho-hum.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 1:57 PM

This is one of the few films I can stand to watch Johnny Depp in. Great cast and film.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 1:58 PM

My apologies. My post above should have read "The only film presentation of Satan I've seen that made Satan seem appealing was Al Pacino's in "The Devil's Advocate".

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 2:01 PM

R2 Believe what you want, but I understand the Christian church and why people believe in God and want to go to Heaven- redemption.

Al Pacino was good in The Devil's Advocate. You also seem like a really negative person. Are you toxic???

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 2:06 PM

The book is so much better.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 2:28 PM

My favorite scene is watching the baroness, dead in her wheelchair, a tie around her neck, tongue hanging out, while her electric wheelchair goes round and round in circles. It’s so sick. And hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 2:35 PM

I loved the soundtrack to this film.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 2:40 PM

The point was that they would gain power - invincibility and immortality - by summoning the devil.

Also, people are looking for proof of the divine.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 2:48 PM

R7 Yes, she was a real bitch. I am still confused if her and Boris were friends or enemies? The postcard seemed to indicate that they were friends once, but she didn't like he found the castle before her.

R8 the composer is Wojcieh Kilar. He has composed films for Polanksi, Coppola, Zanussi, and Hitchcock.

R9 Yes, but they had to know the devil would trick them. Especially after studying his work for so many years.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 2:50 PM

I think Balkan just wanted power. He was never meant to open the ninth gate - Corso was meant to. The whore of Babylon was leading him to it.

I think the other members just wanted to party. I don’t think they thought the devil would actually show up. The Baroness was probably just jealous that Balkan was going after what she wanted or maybe he had stabbed her in the back.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 2:58 PM

It was also one of the last times Depp looked handsome.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 3:00 PM

Some people believe in the Devil as a life-force similar to Pan (from whence his modern interpretation and appearance was chiefly derived) and discount Hell itself as an invention (which is somewhat true - the concept of Hell did not figure largely into the bible itself). They think it makes more sense to worship vitality and pleasure than the (to them) sterile intellectual comforts of the angels. But this is arguing for a pre-Biblical interpretation of the concept of Satan that sees him as a wrongly accused elder god.

The people who worship him in the full belief that he is the Prince of Hell are probably thrill-seeking contrarian nihilists, of whom there have always been a portion throughout time. Add to that atheists exploiting the Devil for his symbolism and power to inspire fear.

"The Master and Margarita" explores both concepts and puts forth the only actually convincing half-argument for the Devil as a moral character I have ever read. It's also screamingly funny.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 3:03 PM

R11 Why was he not worthy of entering the Ninth Gate? Because he paid Corso to do all the work? It seemed like he devoted his entire life to finding that book and to being a part of the dark cause.

R13 Interesting. I will have to add it to my list.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 3:14 PM

I remember my old friend laughing her ass off in the theater during the scene where the old lady was dead and her wheelchair kept bumping into the walls with her neck all askew

I enjoyed the movie upon a rewatch a couple of years ago

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 3:31 PM

lol seems R7 has the same comment I did. Should have seen it first!

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 3:33 PM

I enjoy this movie a lot. I do not understand why some people do not like it.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 3:51 PM

R15, r16, that’s good.

So nice to see that some are as twisted as me....

I also laughed at the scene in THE COLOR PURPLE when Harpo hits young Celie in the head with a rock.

“She ain’t MY mammy!”.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 4:15 PM

Polanski's post-Chinatown career has been underwhelming. I understand about being ostracized. But a talented person can get funding from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 4:19 PM

r13, I would add the original, "Bedazzled" with the Devil's morals as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 4:21 PM

Yeah...the whore of Babylon certainly didn't age too well...more of a GILF nowadays...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 4:31 PM

Will have to revisit this one. Just rewatched “The Ghost Writer” (again), and thoroughly enjoyed it (again). Aside: I kept getting it mixed up with Kubrick for some reason, maybe I’m getting senile.

At the time I thought it wasn’t very good, or at least not up to his usual standard.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 4:44 PM

R22 The Ninth Gate is good. I think the second watch is better than the first.

R7 and R15 - But all of her invaluable books were destroyed. I cared more about them than her. LOL

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 5:16 PM

Balkan was just a rich, power hungry asshole. He might have thought he was worthy, but obviously the devil just wasn’t that into him. It was Corso’s fate - Balkan was just meant to lead Corso down this path. Balkan did the dirty work - murdering the Baroness and Fargas and the whore protected Corso from danger.

Or at least that’s how I always saw it - I was a teen when it came out and my mom loves this movie and I have watched it with her multiple times. Maybe my view is simplistic though.

I love the score and the locations and it makes the devil worshippers seem glamorous and not very frightening at all. Johnny is perfect in this - a handsome, slightly amoral hero and by the time he releases the devil you’re like “yeah, he’s been through a lot. I totally understand”.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 5:31 PM

Hahahahaha r23. You have your priorities.

The only other time I’ve seen someone’s tongue hanging out like that in the movies was the first onscreen victim in Hitchcock’s FRENZY.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 5:32 PM

John Milton said it best: “Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven” and I agree.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 5:49 PM

R24 I always felt the devil was playing him. I also believe that Balkan had the powers at the end and the devil tricked him to be a part of his cult in Hell. After all, he is the devil! I also felt bad for Fargas. I felt like he came from a super influential family like the Vanderbilt's, but he was the last survivor and had to sell things so he would not go into bankruptcy. I also felt like his book was passed down for generations, but he himself did not believe (at least Baroness said he didn't).

I do not know why this movie fascinates me so much, it is not the best and I grew up in the church. I know the evil and the occult are not things to be messed with.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 9:55 PM

I re-watched it about a year ago after a very long time and it is strangely captivating and compelling OP. I'm not exactly sure why.... it's no masterpiece, the camera work and acting are average for me, perhaps it's the fact that it tells a dark little story? It seems like a little adventure and mystery worth unraveling and I find these sorts of theological related stories fascinating even if I'm not that religious myself.

Not a scholar either, but is the Whore of Babylon supposed to have supernatural powers? I feel like they tried to give a little red herring with her and make her seem like an "angel" sent to protect Corso, but maybe I'm misremembering.

And agree with R7, the wheelchair scene with the baroness' tongue hanging out is probably one of the most memorable scenes from the whole movie. Not sure if they intended it to be as funny and ridiculous looking as it was.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 10:41 PM

The movie had a very slow plot and Johnny Depp was kind of slimy in it. It's one of those movies where you don't like anyone.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 10:52 PM

And Christ R21, she did not age well! That body and face is going to keep drooping by the likes of it. Were her tits always that large?

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 10:55 PM

This film is one of my guilty pleasures. It has a weird sense of humor and some of the acting is poor, but the story is intriguing and has a certain lushness to it. I love media which portrays the occult with a certain lushness.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 1:33 AM

r28, there was a line that was something like, "The devil fell in love with you". And she did have supernatural powers.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 2:41 AM

Did they ever explain what caused the Baroness to lose her hand? Was she also missing a leg?

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2020 2:52 AM

I really like when Johnny plays “normal guy surrounded by weirdos” more than when he plays the weirdo

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2020 2:58 AM

I agree with the poster who said that Johnny Depp was hot in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 4:25 AM

What about Frank Langella?

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 9:51 PM

The Ninth Gate is good, but I’ve always had an interest in the occult.

I do like how Balkan ruined his life. Great twist of fate.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 4:21 PM

No r33. I’m assuming that it was mentioned in the novel that the film was based on?

Maybe she was in an orgy that went wrong?

I mean, really, really wrong. Something that involved alligators.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2020 10:42 PM

I downloaded this. It better be good, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2020 10:44 PM

I never interpreted the girl to be the actual Whore of Babylon. IIRC In the book she is a fallen angel, but associated with the army of Legion.

The Whore is the keeper of the Mysteries. But the girl in fact solves the puzzle for Depp's character. That would seem to be opposite of the Whore's role.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2020 10:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!