Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The wild scandals of NYC’s elite prep school scene

The teen drama series “Gossip Girl” shone light on the sexy scandals and lavish lifestyles of Manhattan’s elite prep schools when it premiered in 2007.

But for Upper East Side native Wil Glavin, who was on the verge of high school at the time, it barely scratched the surface.

“‘Gossip Girl’ didn’t go far enough. They had to keep it more PG-13,” said Glavin, who just self-published a novel, “The Venerable Vincent Beattie,” based on his own tween and teen years at posh prep schools. “My book is more R-rated.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 3:33 PM

The only people interested in this book:

1. New Yorkers

2. People who went to a prep school

3. Old gay men who hope to read about M/M sexual dalliances amongst the teens.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 1:10 PM

R1 - I'm afraid you make a useless point. Of course the book has a target audience, just a book on gardening will be read by gardneners, a book on huting will be read by hunters, etc. Why does this book trigger you? Too poor growing up to attend a prep school I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 1:16 PM

^ just as

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 1:17 PM

Zzzzzzz...sounds boring. Didn’t Brett Easton Ellis already have this career? Next...

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 1:22 PM

I think the book has a much broader appeal since there are people from the so-called flyover states who are obsessed with big city life and the sordid depravity that comes with it, supposedly.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 1:45 PM

R2 = the book's "author."

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 1:45 PM

Without money he'd be invisible.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 1:58 PM

SELF-PUBLISHED.

Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 2:56 PM

I came from what was once called a lower upper class background and thru hard work consider myself to have risen to a slightly less lower upper class background. I've always considered myself to be so fortunate with what I was given. The wealthy people I know who blame their money for their troubles would be a a great deal more unhappy being broke and having to deal with real survival.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 3:09 PM

At a time when millions of people are out of work and struggling to buy food at the store, pay rent, see a doctor, etc., it’s incredibly stupid to think that people would have any interest in what rich kids do at their $18,000 a year private school.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 3:12 PM

"At a time when millions of people are out of work and struggling to buy food at the store, pay rent, see a doctor, etc., it’s incredibly stupid to think that people would have any interest in what rich kids do at their $18,000 a year private school."

" Too poor growing up to attend a prep school I suppose."

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 3:16 PM

$18.000 a year?!?!? What kind of cheap ass boarding school is that? You might as well send your kids to public.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 3:17 PM

More like $60k / year.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 3:19 PM

He's about six or seven years younger than me but things did not change that much.

First off, he went to Columbia which was known as the school for kids from Long Island or Westchester whose parents got divorced and moved back into the city so they could do their last few years of school there. There were great kids who went there and many were very smart and all, but it was not in the same tier of competitiveness as Horace Mann, Dalton, Riverdale, Spence, Collegiate, Chapin, Fieldston et al.

(Which doesn't make it a bad school, just not as 'posh" as the NY Post would like it to be.)

Also his descriptions of over the top bar mitzvahs, parties with drugs and alcohol, and kids spending on their parents credit card on restaurant lunches, etc. happens at every upper middle class high school, both public and private-- kids I know who went to schools like Scarsdale and New Trier and Harvard Westlake all had similar experiences in high school. As I;m sure did many DLers, sans, perhaps, the OTT bar and bat mitzvahs. High school kids drink and do drugs.

So much ado about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 3:21 PM

Piss-poor, fat hoes are jealous.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 3:21 PM

But #10, the popular entertainment during depressions and recessions leans toward the posh 'n blingy (sad Reagan era: "Dynasty" "The Colbys", etc.).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!