Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk About Esther Williams

Despite making some monumentally stupid movies, her reputation is solid--I've watched her movies over and over for her performances and the lavish numbers/stunts .

Her memoir was a hoot--anybody read it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2020 4:53 PM

She always seemed so sad to me, profoundly, desperately sad in an almost clinical way.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 5:01 PM

She had a dry sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 5:43 PM

Jeff Chandler's family is till holding a grudge.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 5:52 PM

Did she ever try to transition away from swimming movies? Why didn't it work out?

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 5:58 PM

I don't think she had dramatic actress chops. She was in The UnGuarded Moment with John Saxon. Kind of a ridiculous film but Saxon was great as usual.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 6:37 PM

Debbie Reynolds and the others doing publicity circa THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT or after..... funny quote from Debbie about Esther's big problem with everybody cashing in except Esther... Debbie said she was a bore to hang with...can't find quote..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 6:45 PM

Fannie Brice's assessment: "Wet, she's a star. Dry, she ain't."

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 6:58 PM

I would have hung with her. Read her memoir--she would have been a gas. And she liked to cook.......

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote]Wet, she's a star. Dry, she ain't."

Even though everyone seems to think that was directed at Esther, it was originally a put down of fellow competitve swimmer Eleanor Holm, who Billy Rose (Brice's husband) had an affair with (and later married.)

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 7:52 PM

Esther was the reason waterproof mascara was invented.

She almost broke her neck while filming a dive for "Million Dollar Mermaid”.

She had terrible luck with men.

Here's a great "You Must Remember This" episode about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 5:05 AM

I love her movies because they are total escape Hollywood fabrications filmed in glorious Technicolor.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 5:16 AM

Thanks for the correction, r9. Eleanor Holm makes much more sense than Esther as a target for Fannie's ire. I'll retire that chestnut now.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 1:02 AM

Esther's films still hold up. She lived a long life. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2020 3:05 PM

And Julie Newmar invented pantyhose.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2020 3:10 PM

I read it...in two sittings!

It was fun, but I could tell where she was just making shit up, and there were a number of factual things she got wrong, as memory is an imprecise thing. She also completely glosses over why lots of her Hollywood peers found her obnoxious, mainly that she was a total drunk! Every story in the book where Esther has cunty things to say about people you can read between the lines that all involved were drinking heavily.

She also has a comically awry story of her departure from MGM, claiming they screwed her out of a "pension" for refusing to appear in "The Opposite Sex", a remake with songs of "The Women"! After countless swimming musicals Esther suddenly finds her inner Pauline Kael and decides this is a line she can not cross, giving up her 2 million dollar "pension" and ending her contract. The actual facts are so different, but sure Esther...

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2020 3:22 PM

I adore her memoir--it's very funny....and she was avid for hot dick. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2020 3:30 PM

Esther was open about being a ravenous size queen. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2020 3:47 PM

She's one of the few Golden Age stars I haven't seen a single film from, probably because they always struck me as being very lowbrow. So gays, if you had to recommend me one EW musical, which one would it be? Neptune's Daughter?

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2020 3:55 PM

I always felt that Esther was very underrated. She's really charming in her non-swimming moments and very funny as well with a dry sense of humor. I always liked her until I read her book. I don't think she comes off well in it. After that, I decided she probably WOULDN'T be fun to hang out with. Debbie on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2020 3:58 PM

She would pee in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2020 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!