Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Queen Elizabeth's Country Estate to Become a Drive-In Movie Theater

I expect the persnickety posters are now gasping in horror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 11:47 AM

A bitch has expenses.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 9:56 PM

Look out: Philip may be driving in too.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 9:59 PM

Actually, no one will give fuck all. It's actually a nice thing for her to do for people in Norfolk in lockdown.

Sandringham is a big tourist attraction as it is.

Factoid: Arthur Conan Doyle got the idea for the Hound of the Baskervilles whilst on holiday there. Then he transferred the story to the moors.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 10:57 PM

That’s pretty nice.

How will they keep the riffraff from messing it up, though?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 10:58 PM

LOL - he said "riffraff"

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 12:18 AM

How convenient. The perfect place for Harry and Megs to show their Netflix films

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 12:27 AM

Will they be showing "The Queen"? "The Crown?" "The Iron Lady"?

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 2:17 AM

R7 - No, they'll be showing "Mrs Miniver" "Fire Over England" Olivier's "Henry V" "Dunkirk" "We Happy Few" "Battle of Britain" "Blithe Spirit" "The Horse's Mouth" "Four Feathers" (original cast of course) Lean's "Oliver Twist" and "Kind Hearts and Coronets" and in a nod to the sixties, "Morgan" and "Georgie Girl" and "A Hard Day's Night". On more daring nights, "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" "Look Back in Anger" "This Sporting Life" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner"

In fairness, those are all really fine films in their way. Personally, I consider Carol Reisz's "Morgan" one of the unsung finest of the era.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 1:07 PM

R8 from the article;

[quote] Movies that will be shown the weekend of Sep. 25 through Sept. 27 include 1917, Rocketman, Toy Story, The Greatest Showman, Grease, Moana, and A Star is Born. Appropriately, the Saturday evening film is a showing of Bohemian Rhapsody, which chronicles the rock-and-roll lifestyle of Freddie Mercury and the band Queen.

Its actually not a bad idea. I'd be up for it if I was a local, I like the idea of making out with my boyfriend in the front seat of my old Chevy in a drive-in movie

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 2:39 PM

I'm sure Her Royal Frauness will be manning the ticket booth, and it will be a good opportunity for Fergie to make herself useful again...I can see her at the concession stand.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 3:01 PM

That house is one hell of a snack bar.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 3:01 PM

I guess they won't be showing any footage from that fateful night in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 3:08 PM

R9 - So, you didn't grasp the irony in my list of films?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 8:11 PM

R13 ♥️

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 8:37 PM

Carol = Karel

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 9:06 PM

R9 I didnt, cos to be honest i dont know many of those films as I am uncouth poor white trash

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 9:14 AM

R8 I notice you've mentioned the great British films of the 40s — which, in my opinion, was Britain's golden decade of film-making. Though "We Happy Few" must be an error.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 10:12 AM

R15 - "Karel=Carol"

Good grief, yes, how remiss of me! Thanks!

R17 - I wasn't necessarily asserting that all of them were of equal quality - they're all very different, but I agree the 1940s was a tremendous era in British film-making, and I didn't even include Pressburger-Powell.

And, correct "We Happy Few" was an error. I was thinking about Robert Newton and it should have been "This Happy Breed" - also from the 1940s.

I always thought him a fantastic actor and the alcoholism that ended his life somewhere around 50 or so really tragic.

I think a Robert Newton Retrospective would be perfect for the Sandringham Film Festival.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 11:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!