Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Perfume firm apologises to John Boyega after replacing him with Chinese actor

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2020 6:53 PM

This ad was for the Chinese market. What did you expect? Those chinks are racist as fuck, especially when it comes to POC. Using John Boyega for this market would have been commercial suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 10:07 AM

Sorry but i don't understand them. I would be as easy as tell him the markets they were using his ad, as simple as that.

It won't be the first time a company use different ads for different markets

And given Disney replace him on the star wars promotion for the chinese market it's not that surprising what happened.

Chinese seem to have a thing for west people but only for white western people

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 10:13 AM

[quote]Chinese seem to have a thing for west people but only for white western people

And not only the Chinese. All over Asia, light skin is the preference. Neither will products sell well in Asia fronted by a gweilo face.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 10:18 AM

I will add John Boyega to the celebrities I don't like. See also: Seorsia Ronan (I know I misspelled her name, I don't care.), Emma Watson, Viola Davis and Ava Duvernay. Bitches, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 10:18 AM

I've never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 10:21 AM

Dwayne Johnson is popular in Asia and he is POC.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 10:21 AM

The problem is it is clear racism.

Y’all act like there is no problem with this. Fuck you. And John has been right about everything he’s said, and yet the racist low IQ low lives still attack him. You can all go to hell, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 10:26 AM

Johnson is popular in China, not Asia.

R7 comes face to face with the real world. Where no one cares about diversity or racism, especially not in Asia or Africa.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 10:29 AM

Will Smith & Eddie Murphy in their glory days were also very popular in Asia. As is Denzel Washington in an action film. John Boyega is way too precious. Hasn't anybody told him that the star system is well and truely dead and he is nothing more than a working actor who most people on the planet would know if they fell over him in the street. And that applies so everybody that has emerged in the film industry in the last 20 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 10:39 AM

R9 And Neil Patrick Harris was very popular in Russia even they know he is gay. There are always exceptions to the rule

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 10:49 AM

"And Neil Patrick Harris was very popular in Russia even they know he is gay. There are always exceptions to the rule"

So is the change of tense an indication that you're lying?

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 11:04 AM

What a bullshit move. Boyega was recently named [italic]male GLOBAL ambassador[/italic] for the perfume company. You'd think that would mean he was repping it, you know, globally. Also the commercial was his concept, representing his perspective and things about him, which he also directed - and they just re-shot it exactly with someone else because he's black. Such dicks. Shameless dicks.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 11:11 AM

Some people on this thread don’t know how business works.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 11:20 AM

John Boyega comes across as a black supremacist.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 11:29 AM

Yeah, the Chinese are racist and don't give a fuck. They're just as bad all over Asia.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 11:29 AM

R15 The Chinese and everyone else all over Asia define themselves according to their own sensibilities, not according to Western.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 11:33 AM

Jo Malone is an old lady candle/fragrance company, isn’t it? Why are they using twinks of any color to sell their shit? Are they trying to rebrand?

I mean, all I know is that that’s the shit my MIL’s friends have in their “powder room”.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 11:53 AM

So, anyone who understands why this was done is a racist. Certainly, calling people " chinks" doesn't fall under that umbrella.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 11:57 AM

R11 No it's an indication that he was popular when he was in HIMYM, i don't know if he is popular right now

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 12:12 PM

R18 It's business. You use a popular actor/model to sell your products, if he is not popular in China the reason why they changed him it's pretty clear.

It is racist, probably, but Jo Malone is not guilty the chinese are racists

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 12:14 PM

The “chinks” are racists who don’t value human life. Hence the Uighurs and the Corona pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 12:19 PM

Ive lived in China. Young Chinese men like black athletes. Shaq, Stef Curry, Klay Thompson and others have gone over there and attracted massive, massive crowds. Outside of that, damn little interest or regard for black people.

You'll often enough see non-Asian people in Chinese-market advertisements, but outside of athletes in Nike, Anta, etc., ads, it's damn rare to see a black person in 'em.

I ain't saying it's right, but such is how it is.

Yeah; they should have told Boyega, but he's welcome to walk away and return the money.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 12:20 PM

If they had changed the actor to a white Westerner, that would be racism. To use or prefer a Chinese actor in a Chinese ad is not racism.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 12:25 PM

R1 using that C word to describe chinese people makes as you as racist darling.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2020 12:34 PM

Boyega is chunky.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2020 12:50 PM

Boyega is not cute. The Chinese guy is.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2020 12:51 PM

[quote] Jo Malone is an old lady candle/fragrance company, isn’t it? Why are they using twinks of any color to sell their shit?

I had the same question. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2020 12:55 PM

He should make his own fragrance (or has he?). I’d buy it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2020 1:01 PM

R27

It’s a cologne commercial.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2020 1:02 PM

R24, I lived 5 years in Hong Kong. I’ve seen mainland Chinese up close, and believe me it’s not a pretty sight. I very deliberately used the C word in my post because when they talk about foreigners, especially POC and white people, the Chinese themselves do not take any gloves. They see everyone else as an inferior race. And they will throw it in your face without hesitation. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2020 1:18 PM

Even supermodel Naomi Campbell was rejected from an Asian country in a campaign (I’m assuming China).

She’s right. John’s right. This is not OK and their racism should be called out. Their racism should be put on display and vilified. They need to change. But it has to come from within.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2020 1:19 PM

Boyega is rough looking and built like a kid with an oversized body. He is not exactly the picture of elegance. If he has a giant ass, that's even worse. I'm not surprised they recast him. Good for playing a football player etc. Bad for playing anything that is supposed to be intelligent or elegant. Sorry but that's just how he looks.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2020 1:39 PM

He got Jaked.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2020 1:53 PM

R32

You’re ignorant, hun. Even the most “elegant” black person gets cut from China. And there is nothing wrong with his body. He works out. Most people do love a footballer/athletic build so not getting that line of attack. Just admit you’re racist and don’t like his black features.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2020 1:56 PM

R29, yes. But it’s a bit... out of character for what the brand has been, traditionally. We are speculating that there’s a rebranding. As far as I always knew, Jo Malone is a niche fragrance company aimed at affluent older white women. Like, Aunt Kay would bring a Jo Malone freesia grapefruit candle as a hostess gift when visiting her niece in Bridgehampton. We’d discover that Reese Witherspoon carries a Vetiver lemon purse spray with her on long flights, (“perks me up!”) via O Magazine.

So it’s just weird that they’re using any ethnics at all to market to men in China.

Guess it’s a rebrand and global marketing scheme.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2020 1:56 PM

Remember this advert?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2020 2:00 PM

The irony of white America calling anyone else racist.....................BWAAAAAH.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2020 2:14 PM

Boyega is a whiney ungrateful bitch who hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]Their racism should be put on display and vilified. They need to change.

No, they don't need to change. You Western racists and bigots need to stop demanding that other cultures behave in a foreign manner.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2020 2:20 PM

R39

You’re a racist right wing troll. Literally just checked your post history and your entire existence on this forum is attacking POC. Fuck off.

John Boyega threads always bring out the most deplorable, grotesque posters on this forum. A lot of these racist trolls are the same racists who would call him an ape in threads months back. They just slightly dialed down their racism but they are still clear as day.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2020 2:29 PM

They had no problem using my Bacardi's ad in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2020 4:25 PM

Look at the clip at R36. This says it all. We don’t need to see or say anything else. And when I think that Chinese will own the World one day. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2020 9:53 PM

[quote] You Western racists and bigots need to stop demanding that other cultures behave in a foreign manner.

No.

China has a racism problem and needs to do work on that.

They could start by welcoming one hundred million Africans whose lives are under threat from climate change.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2020 5:16 AM

Boyega's ugly. No one would buy perfume if he were the face of the campaign.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2020 6:09 AM

[quote]You’re a racist right wing troll. Literally just checked your post history and your entire existence on this forum is attacking POC. Fuck off.

R40 And your post history consists of often juvenile invective and name-calling toward anyone who dares to dissent from your arrogant, irrational, racist worldview.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2020 6:20 AM

This guy is a pretty big diva considering his lack of looks, charm, or talent.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2020 6:22 AM

He has stepped down as brand ambassador.

Boyega has a huge social media following so they were stupid to replace him since it was obvious it would create a negative online reaction.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2020 6:28 AM

R1. This new video seems to reinforce what you say—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2020 6:44 AM

Boyega was the wrong choice.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2020 6:45 AM

John Boyega would be more suited to promoting butt-plugs.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2020 9:50 AM

There was no outcry with replacing Jake from State Farm.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2020 12:58 PM

R51 I don’t even remember what the original Jake looked like. Of course he didn’t complain like a bitch about it like John Boyega.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2020 1:24 PM

He would be better for a deodorant commercial where beefy guys work better. I don't think he's gross I just don't picture him opposite Nicole Kidman saying "I love to daaaahmse!".

And he does look like an overgrown kid. That doesn't have much to do with him being black it's just how he looks, oversensative "luv".

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2020 1:47 PM

Racism in China stems from its lack of diversity.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2020 6:23 AM

Business is business. Some people here are very stupid. They replaced him with an asian guy bc they think that it would generate more sales. It has nothing to do with racism for fuck’s sake

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2020 6:43 AM

The racist Black man from R48 went viral in Chinese media and issue an apology.

[quote] Racism in China stems from its lack of diversity.

Are you fucking kidding me? Do countries need minority quotas now to exist? Many countries in the world are racially homogenous, including predominantly black countries. Get a grip, not all nations are melting pots like the US. Stop trying to force your limited navel gazing point of view onto others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2020 8:34 AM

[quote] Many countries in the world are racially homogenous, including predominantly black countries.

Yes, and since China is putting ethnic minorities into concentration camps, that’s not working well.

Like I said, China would benefit from a hundred million Africans.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2020 8:37 AM

[quote] Yes, and since China is putting ethnic minorities into concentration camps, that’s not working well.

You mean like ICE is doing? I get it. How about cleaning up our mess before going to virtue signal abroad?

[quote] Like I said, China would benefit from a hundred million Africans.

Some will also say Congo would benefit from millions of whites to stop the Hutus and Tutsis genocidal conflict, but then you would can them colonialists and racists.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2020 8:55 AM

[quote]You mean like ICE is doing? I get it. How about cleaning up our mess before going to virtue signal abroad?

Okay. We can do both.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2020 9:00 AM

[quote]Some will also say Congo would benefit from millions of whites to stop the Hutus and Tutsis genocidal conflict, but then you would can them colonialists and racists.

No, we can do that. China should be able to have a white President.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2020 9:01 AM

China has been around for what, 5, 10 millennia?

But yeah, John Boyega will change them!

Staggering ignorance and arrogance....

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2020 10:18 AM

Maybe they realised this guy is more trouble than he's worth. Would he have complained later about the opportunity given to him and bitched about the execution of his 'vision' being not to his liking? He's a whiny diva who thinks way too much of himself.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2020 10:30 AM

John Boyega is quickly turning into the Ava Duverney of acting and when even Oprah and Beyoncé (queen of cunt) dislikes you, you know you're in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2020 10:43 AM

The add was based on his life and they replaced him without saying anything for obvious reasons. The devil is in the details.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2020 10:51 AM

R64 Exactly, that's the problem.

Using a local actor for a big market is something usual and maximizes the message of the ad.

But they could be honest and saying they were using other actors for different ads, or being clear in which countries they will use his ad

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 11:06 AM

Maybe the company got tired of his entitlement and diva tantrums and got rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2020 11:18 AM

I'd love to suck John Boyega off and have him fuck me raw and seed me.

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2020 11:24 AM

r63

Oprah and Beyoncé hate Ava or Oprah and Beyoncé hate John? What's the evidence of that?

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2020 11:36 AM

john not known as the smartest fellow around.....his career is in free fall...

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2020 11:39 AM

R67

Me too. I’d also like to flip and seed his ass.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2020 11:41 AM

He's still in the original version of the commercial, which runs in places that are not China, right?

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2020 12:22 PM

It’s okay to support white immigration to Africa and African immigration to China.

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.

I support both.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2020 12:49 PM

He a lost soul, just look at that poor face, he plumb wore out.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote] Oprah and Beyoncé hate Ava or Oprah and Beyoncé hate John? What's the evidence of that?

The former. Oprah tried to warn Ava that her movie would flop but she wouldn't listen to her, so that's exactly what happened. She has no knowledge of film language and Oprah who was also producing was trying to show her she was wasting budget on closed shots that would basically render special effects useless. Ava is a publicist, she can shoot a movie, plus there were warnings about changing the focus of the story to the blackness of the kid who's not even black in the books. She wouldn't listen.

As for Beyoncé, everyone hates her, it's no secret. She's insufferable. What I meant is that John is as arrogant and short sighted as Ava.

by Anonymousreply 74September 23, 2020 6:45 PM

*can't.

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2020 6:47 PM

I Dreamed of Africa!

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2020 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!