Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucie Arnaz in Poltergeist

Sue Mengers told her to turn it down and do some quickly forgotten comedy instead.

I can't imagine her in the film.

I've only seen her do comedy and musicals.

She seems to deadpan and sarcastic sounding for a drama.

I wonder how it would have changed her career though.

THE SWIMMING POOL!!!! THE SWIMMING POOL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote] Sue Mengers told her to turn it down

It wasn't Gary Morton?

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 5:39 AM

good catch r1. I thought of that as soon as I hit enter. You get the glory though!

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 5:40 AM

They wanted Lucy to play Tangina but Gary talked her out of it

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 5:40 AM

Did Gary Morton talk her out of doing the role?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 5:40 AM

Too^^ deadpan (before the grammar lectures start)

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 5:41 AM

r3, beat me to it and said it better! :)

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 5:41 AM

Did they want Neil Diamond for Steve?

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 5:44 AM

Her big mouth would be heard mightily over all the special effects.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] THE SWIMMING POOL!!!! THE SWIMMING POOL!!!!

I’d love if if this scene featured the skeletons of all the characters from The Lucy Show popping out of the water. Now THAT’S terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 6:01 AM

COVID update from Lucie in Palm Springs. She's a grandmother now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 6:06 AM

Oh yes I'm turning down roles

Oh yes I'm turning down roles

And while I'm turning down roles everybody's gonna

watch watch watch

The magic on screen

its weaving its spell around you

But not here with me

I'm not on that screen...

Guess I'll talk about my Mom again on tonight's Larry King

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 6:16 AM

Poltergeist must have been originally intended as a black comedy, you can still see some of the humor in the script. I've always suspected that Spielberg turned it into a more conventional horror movie when he inserted himself into the direction of the film, including starting a false rumor that Tobe Hooper had a breakdown and would need to be replaced.

An old thread on this suggests Mengers told Lucie not to take the part because of all the mud and stuff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 6:36 AM

Well, at least she would have looked like the parents more than that albino girl did. Everyone else had brown hair and brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 11:07 AM

no r13. She'd have played the mother.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 3:34 AM

Lucie is such a cunt for only donating $200 dollars to the Valerie Harper fund.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 3:59 AM

Wait, would she have played the Dominque Dunne role? Setting off a chain of events that would mean she was never murdered and her father wouldn’t have become a writer?

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 4:02 AM

No she would have played the Jobeth Williams role, the mother.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 4:03 AM

Your new gray! (Lucy spider face.)

Oh yeah? What do you know about it? (Lucy spider face.)

What's happening? (Lucy spider face.)

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 4:10 AM

r15 is there a list of who donated somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 4:12 AM

R15 How much did Sandy Duncan donate, that is the real question? She was the Alison Janney of Valerie’s Family.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 4:16 AM

WTF is the "Valerie Harper fund"? She was so jealous of me on Valerie. We were all so glad she got canned.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 4:19 AM

Her husband started a gofundme campaign when she was near the end of her life in order to pay for medical bills and 24 hour nurses

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 4:21 AM

I'm assuming she was up for this role:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote] THE SWIMMING POOL!!!! THE SWIMMING POOL!!!!

No one could EVER have said that better than JoBeth Williams does.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 4:36 AM

I also love how Williams yells get away from my babies or something like that and then tries to run down the hall as it extends. She should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 4:39 AM

Williams gives one of the greatest performances ever in a horror film in this, IMO. She's right up there with Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby" and Sissy Spacek in "Carrie."

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 4:43 AM

R26, LMAO. You daft troll.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 4:45 AM

I recall Jaws having a lot of humor in it, why was Spielberg opposed to infusing it in this film? That said, Lucie Arnaz was far from the First Lady of Comedy. Maybe one of those Laughin’ gals would have been a better choice, Tomlin, Hawn or Worley.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 4:46 AM

Or Ruth Buzzi...

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 4:49 AM

[quote]No one could EVER have said that better than JoBeth Williams does.

You don't think Karen Valentine could have said that line just as good as JoBeth?

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 4:49 AM

Seriously, Worley would have made it a real mad cap affair, yet would likely have come off as very maternal, unlike like Lesbian Lily or mother of the half baked Kate Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 4:52 AM

Liza would have wonderful as the mother on Poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 4:57 AM

[quote] I recall Jaws having a lot of humor in it, why was Spielberg opposed to infusing it in this film?

There's actually a ton of humor in it. The ghosts arranging the chairs in that strange pyramid; the mom getting turned on by the ghosts at first when she makes the little game with Carol Ann scooting across the kitchen floor wearing the crash helmet; the subtle running joke throughout the film that the elder daughter is having sex with strange men in motels and her parents don't even realize it; the videographers saying they once filmed something moving an inch in over several hours and then being taken into the children's bed room where everything is flying around in circles; Tangina "overhearing" the Freelings from upstairs...

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 5:00 AM

The Gilda Radner sketch as Lucy circa 1979/80 where she's interview by Bill Murray on the SNL news.

"No, Bill," Lucy said about a return to show biz. "I'm retired. I have two extremely untalented children and I'm content to sit in my garden with Rose Marie and talk about how times has ravaged our faces."

6 years later she comes back and does Life With Lucy, a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!