Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An i Get a Car Without AI our Navigation?

I don’t want Alexa, Siri or Onstar. I don’t want Nav because it’s a waste of money. I don’t want touchpad or a mouse. I want push buttons. AI is spying on you. It will record you. I can use my phone for GPS. I don’t need to pay over a thousand dollars for a nav system.

Can I *not* get a music system? I can use my phone & Bluetooth speakers for music.

And can I do this in a luxury car?

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 12:16 AM

Who am I? Al Harrington?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 5:39 AM

I don't know of any luxury car that doesn't have a music system. Perhaps you can find one without a navigation system or other AI devices. I just bought another Mercedes and not familiar with any of their cars that doesn't have all of the bells and whistles.

Perhaps you could buy an older model car without the technology. It would be less expensive. Saving money on a car will give you more to spend on an aluminum foil chapeau. (French word for hat.) We don't want you picking up any more messages from aliens.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 6:09 AM

Take your meds and come back down to earth, grandpa. You’re scaring the locals again.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 6:12 AM

I'm sure Paranoid Motors Ltd can find you just the right car, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 6:16 AM

Don't know about push buttons anymore but actual nav w/maps is, in many cases, an option. The car will come with the screen but the actual nav maps chip is extra. U.S. cars, since 2018, are required to have a backup cameras and reusing that screen for radio, etc is the best use of the space it takes up. But, yes, you can get one without actual nav.

Also don't see how you'd find anything without an audio system. Mass production makes putting those things in all cars the cheapest way to manufacture since a customer not wanting an audio system would be very rare.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 10:12 AM

The only way you will be able to get this in a luxury car - or any car - is to forget buying new and get a fully restored classic instead. Which will actually be a better investment too, not to mention having a style and class absent from almost anything new

You can get a "restomod" classic, like the Beacham Jaguar MkII linked below, there are companies doing similar with original Mustangs and other classics. They have modern disc brakes, steering, fuel injection and lots of other modern improvements but retain the style of the original, including the dashboard with all its analog controls (push buttons and knobs etc) Bristol in the UK are also still making cars and are a very traditional maker. Both are essentially custom made and I am sure they would be happy to tailor something for OP if he has the cash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 12:25 PM

I'm with R3. OP is typing from 1987. However you didn't exist Google assistant. The worse of them all.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]An i Get a Car Without AI our Navigation?

Well, you certainly have plenty of vowels.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 12:33 PM

You also don't want a bluetooth phone system, since that listens to you too.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 12:42 PM

Just do what I did and buy a 2017 BMW X5. The navigation system never works correctly, so you won't get any help with where you are going, and "they" won't know where you are!

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 12:51 PM

All cars built after 1999 can be tracked by the government OP.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 2:05 PM

R11 not quite all

May not be quite the luxury experience OP is looking for though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 2:13 PM

I already have an old luxury car. It’s from 2005. I was thinking of getting a new one. The nav worked for about 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 2:21 PM

Can you get a CD player in a car nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 2:22 PM

R14 Rarely, I am still not over them getting rid of 8-track tape slots!

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 2:27 PM

I jsut bought a new car (MB E-Class) as my old car was getting old - 8 yrs - and starting to need costly repairs. I cannot believe the major jump in technology - it is amazing. I spent about 90 minutes with the salesperson at the delaership learning the systems - it is unbelievable how much this car can do. I'm not in the least concerned that I'm being "spied on" seriously, who cares? What are they going to do anyway?

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote]An i Get a Car Without AI our Navigation?

Yes, but please keep the spell check.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 3:02 PM

No, OP, you can't - we require it.

And you don't need to post on DL, we're already monitoring your life - we know what you're thinking.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 3:10 PM

P.S. OP,

Stop farting in your car so much - we don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote] salesperson at the delaership learning the systems

OH DEAR!!! R16

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 3:14 PM

R20 - what's "oh dear" about learning the technology in the car you'll be driving everyday? You overreacted.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 8:07 PM

This model should suit your needs, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 8:34 PM

Yeah OP,

just wear your tin-foil hat when you use technology

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2020 4:14 PM

You need to go full on retro like our dearly departed Liz, OP. Hey a classic car with no modern tech. Look at her. She knew!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2020 4:45 PM

^ Me again. Seriously, though - get whatever you want and then remove the corresponding fuse for that component. For added security, just cut the electrical wires as well.

P.S. Your phone is dying on ypu, too!

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2020 4:52 PM

Buy American, it will all break in a few months and you’ll be pushing buttons that do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote] get whatever you want and then remove the corresponding fuse for that component.

That would depend on whatever else is wired into that circuit. There may be other components connected to it that you need.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 7:55 PM

you shouldn't be driving at your age anyway

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2020 8:03 PM

I met a lady that got busted for a DUI due to OnStar. She went off the road and hit a tree, and OnStar checked in with her to see if she was OK. She told them she was fine, and tried to continue driving - and was stopped by several cop cars at an intersection moments later.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 8:27 PM

lol at r29

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 8:31 PM

Since you communicate like you're having a stroke, I wouldn't trust you to operate a vehicle yourself. Consider an autonomous model.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 8:32 PM

In all seriousness, on-board navigation and automatic drive in what is essentially a rolling death machine with cup-holders is quite a scary reality. I’m with OP down in the shelter on this one.

If I had the money to spare, I’d get a vintage custom. Older cars are so beautiful, unlike the functional go-karts of now.

And if I had a license and the skill/confidence, I’d skip the car and get a motorcycle instead. Would a bike be an option for OP?

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 11:23 PM

OP, years ago, I had a friend who custom ordered a car. She eliminated all the options because she was poor. She even eliminated the floor rugs! Who knew that was an option!

I also actually custom ordered my first car, a cherry red 1986 Chrysler Laser. I loved the sound of the turbo whirl! My boyfriend crashed it while I was in Florida For a week visiting family. He was mortified, but had it in the repair shop before I even got home.

I assume you can still custom order a new car, and then wait a few months before it is delivered.

So, yes, would be my guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!