Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

West Coast wildfire smoke

How’s everyone coping?

I suppose it helps a bit that many if not most of us are accustomed to being stuck indoors due to COVID. Still, it sucks to be unable to go for a walk or a bike ride - I have asthma.

Where I live, the air quality is well into the “very unhealthy” range. I have a scratchy throat and watery eyes. I think smoke is getting into my apartment through the gap under the front door.

How’s everyone else dealing with this massive environmental health crisis? I feel bad for anyone with an outdoor job!

by Anonymousreply 146October 5, 2020 6:04 AM

this sucks!

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2020 8:59 PM

I'm in LA. It's not that bad here - certainly not compared to up North. But I just went for a run and had to cut it short. So bad enough, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2020 9:01 PM

We live in the high desert of central Nevada, about 100 miles from California. The air quality here changes from one day to the next. It depends on which way the wind is blowing. Today it's relatively clear. So we're lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2020 9:02 PM

It sucks! I'm shopping online for HEPA air purifiers right now.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2020 9:03 PM

I am in West Covina ~ it is thick with smoke and there are ashes all over the car, patio furniture, driveway - smoke hanging in the air in the house. So sad so scary. I feel sick for the poor animals trapped in the Foothills ~ Plus families losing everything. This is a very depressing year.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2020 9:06 PM

OP, lay a wet towel against the bottom of your door.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2020 9:13 PM

Long Beach here. We have ashes raining down but no smell of smoke. It's definitely overcast with smoke in the upper atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2020 9:17 PM

I'm in Portland. We've been covered in smoke since Wednesday, with it expected to stay until at least Monday. We were predicted to be in the upper 80s-lower 90s by the end of the week, but instead we're only in the 70s because of the sun blockage. Light has been at about early sunset levels all day today.

I ran a few errands yesterday, and after being out for about an hour, I started to feel a little nauseated and headachy, so I'm just staying indoors now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2020 9:27 PM

So depressing to see California burning down every freakin ‘ year and lost lives, lost homes, pets, devastated landscape. and I’m sorry for everyone here with health conditions.

Asthma really sucks and with CoViD-19 ? I can’t imagine.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2020 9:29 PM

Weho here and it's not looking good for next few days when temps rise again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2020 9:30 PM

North of Seattle here and the the air quality has deteriorated throughout the day. It's now in the unhealthy range, with a haze masking everything, a prominent smell of smoke, and the same kind of feeling you get in your eyes when you stand too close to a campfire and the smoke blows your way if you dare to go outdoors.

I'm indoors and closed up as tightly as I can, with a room air purifier running in the living room downstairs and in the bedroom upstairs.

Further south of me, it's in the hazardous range and I'm hearing from friends who don't have air purifiers that it's been a serious problem and they're trying to improvise box fan filters.

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2020 9:32 PM

I'm using an apartment full of smoke (even with air purifier and humidifier) as an excuse to lie in bed and read Datalounge. I don't want to strain myself by reading a book.

Love the TV Movie thread, btw; it got me through yesterday. Mmmwah!

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2020 9:32 PM

I'm using an apartment full of smoke (even with air purifier and humidifier) as an excuse to lie in bed and read Datalounge. I don't want to strain myself by reading a book.

Love the TV Movie thread, btw; it got me through yesterday. Mmmwah!

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2020 9:32 PM

Here in the Bay Area, the smoke is thick enough to interfere with weather patterns. Usually the Central Valley heats up to 90-100°F, which has the effect of drawing cool marine air inland. But now the smoke is keeping those normally hot temperatures down, so the fog machine is turned off and the smoke is just sitting on top of us with nowhere to go. So it looks like we’ll be stuck with it for at least a couple more days.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2020 9:34 PM

Born and raised in SoCal and I've NEVER EVER seen this much fire in SoCal and all of Ca. Yes, climate change is here BUT there's something else happening here? I don't know for sure but it's going on.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2020 9:37 PM

Portland smells like a campfire right now. It hurts to breathe.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2020 9:45 PM

r5 Hi, neighbor. I'm just north of you. Much closer to the fire. We're under evacuation warnings. I made the mistake of leaving my patio sliding glass door into my bedroom open last night. While it cooled everything down nicely, everything smells like smoke. I have ashes all over my outdoor areas. The sky is perma-gray. I've lived here for 32 years and this is the worst it's ever been, even though there have been plenty of fires before. As of now the fire is only 6% contained.

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2020 10:08 PM

In Oregon, some counties' emergency lines are being clogged with calls about Antifa or Proud Boys starting the wildfires, to the point I've even heard claims BLM has aircraft they're using to drop firebombs or something. Several sheriffs have pushed back hard, telling people to stop this nonsense rumormongering.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2020 10:23 PM

Drove thru Ontario and West Covina this morning at 10am, you couldn’t see mountains and you could taste and smell ash and burning material. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2020 10:24 PM

The QAnon propaganda is so bad that some homeowners are refusing to evacuate because “someone said” there might be looters.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2020 10:28 PM

I'm in San Francisco, and even though it's a beautiful 73 degrees here today, the smoke is so bad, I've had to keep all my windows closed and run fans inside to try and keep cool.

I had my windows open for a short time yesterday, and my white shutters were nearly black with soot after just 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2020 10:30 PM

Lower Queen Anne in Seattle here. Earlier my eyes felt like they used to when I wore my extended wear contacts for too long. And I was feeling sick to my stomach. My throat is scratchy., Just got back from grocery shopping. The smell of burnt wood is everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote] Lower Queen Anne in Seattle here.

Long live Your Majesty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2020 10:51 PM

San Juan Islands, Washington. AQI has been hovering around 200 today. We're usually in the single digits.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2020 11:02 PM

Near downtown L.A. and it's pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2020 11:10 PM

DTLA here as well-it's nasty. I woke up this morning and my right eye was swollen shut from my sinuses. I was freaking out but managed to get the swelling down. Haven't been in my car for a couple of days and my husband just told me it was covered in ash.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2020 11:23 PM

West Coast has all the drama with fires and earthquakes. East Coast is boring except for the occasional hurricane or superstorm.

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2020 11:38 PM

Sacramento area here, visibility was less than 1 mile this morning. Airnow map shows the pollution in the 200s (purple), and I'm fucking sick of staying at home and not exercising!

I'm going to go out an exercise, will an N95 do or should I use my re-usable N95 respirator? I've got one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2020 11:42 PM

Was supposed to get a COVID test at one of the outdoor testing sites this morning. Got a text that they had cancelled all appointments due to the smoke.

That's when I realized we're living in the apocalypse - having an appointment to find out if you have a disease that can kill you cancelled because going to the appointment could kill you.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2020 11:52 PM

Went surfing Tues/Wed/Thurs at Sunset (to the left of Gladstone's) at sunrise. Eerie apocalyptic neon orange/pink sun amid the smoky gray skies. the smell of fire everywhere. Strangely my asthma didn't act up, which does when the Santa Anas blow.

The air smell reminded me of Manila and Myanmar, where they burn refuse 24/7. Call me weird, but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2020 12:29 AM

Hey - be careful #17 - this fire feels different than the fires that roll through every year. Crossing fingers you won’t have to evacuate!

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2020 12:47 AM

Actually this is the time of year when we usually have funny videos of bears in swimming pools in Monrovia!

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote] West Coast has all the drama with fires and earthquakes. East Coast is boring except for the occasional hurricane or superstorm.

Don't forget, you also get Snowpocalypses and Snowmageddons.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2020 1:01 AM

I suppose the fat frauen who started these fires have zero remorse. They should be put in jail.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2020 1:26 AM

Some hopeful news from where we are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2020 1:27 AM

oops, that was supposed to direct to

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2020 1:28 AM

I live in Bellevue and the smoke is making my eyes water, my throat scratchy and I’ve had a headache for 2 days. My nose feels like it’s on fire. I have a furnace filter attached to a box fan as suggested by some expert and it seems to help the room I put it in.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2020 1:34 AM

It’s still bad here in San Francisco. Relief is at least a couple of days away. I wish I had bought N95 masks sooner!

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2020 8:23 PM

I feel you, R37. I sound like Mercedes McCambridge and feel as grumpy as Noam Chomsky. Hope we get onshore whatever that blows this away.

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2020 8:28 PM

Lower Queen Anne Seattle here. The sky outside is amber. I have the sliding glass door to my deck open about four inches, every other window is closed. I'm staying in today.

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2020 9:11 PM

I'm in LA and my sister is in Portland. We've been trading ominous pics for the past 24 hours. Crazy times.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2020 10:02 PM

R40, I'm in Wallingford here. CLOSE YOUR DOOR!!!! The zoo even closed down--not even safe out there for the animals.

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2020 10:55 PM

Smoke from the western wildfires has reached Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2020 11:46 PM

Fascinating map that shows every structure in California and rates its susceptibility to fire (generally, not right now.) Also shows current fires and air quality. Pretty scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2020 11:49 PM

Coastal OC here. I'm pretty much staying in. Like OP, we're in the "unhealthy" air quality level. Sipping a marg and nibbling on gummies aka my survival kit.

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2020 11:58 PM

What's the air quality like in Arizona or Colorado? I've got a few days off coming up, and am getting desperate for escape, and everything within driving distance is likely to be this bad.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2020 12:01 AM

This has been what it's like to look out the window the last several days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2020 3:23 PM

As the West Coast Burns, Communities Unravel With Each Death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2020 5:55 PM

Smoke is worse in Portland this morning. Gonna make it tough for the Antifa folks and police to see each other in our riot-torn city. (I added the last comment since most believe that Portland is a smoldering pile of burned out buildings after the 100+ days of protests.)

by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2020 6:24 PM

It is true that protesters and police are in their corners, but thinking about the next bout. I hope when the air clears and all the poor people with no homes are relocated, the protests concentrate on forcing the Green New Deal. No breath, no justice for anyone!

by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2020 6:27 PM

Funny how many years California had occasional fires, but existed without cataclysmic wildfires - then all of a sudden the wildfires sprang up & never stopped. Now they’re going further north with no stop. Couldn’t be a coordinated effort to burn down much of the US, causing billions & billions of dollars annually in economic damage could it?

Btw, the Japanese tried to do that during WW2 - burn down the forests on the west coast while bombing China with bubonic plague.

But naaaah....people aren’t smart enough to figure out how to use matches to cause trillions of dollars in damage to their enemies......that would never happen. It’s just a coincidence and climate change, right?

And nobody would deliberately introduce alien species into the US to cause trillions of dollars in damage - like giant snakes, lizards, fish, beetles, ants, hornets & other species that suddenly spring up & become a big problem when they’ve never been a problem before.

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2020 7:11 PM

Any better today? I’ve heard air was supposed to clear as wind direction shifted.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2020 7:14 PM

It's definitely better today in LA.

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2020 7:34 PM

Not where I am (very close to the Bobcat fire.) And they've ordered evacuations in Arcadia and Sierra Madre today.

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2020 7:50 PM

R51, it seems you took the wrong offramp from the information superhighway. The Q-Anon message board is a few more exits down the road. Kindly peddle your b.s. there.

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2020 7:54 PM

R51 this is DL. You are not allowed to speak anything that is not true. True is what the mainstream media and Democratic Party say. Anything outside of that is lies. So please have a closed mind or you will be censored.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2020 7:59 PM

And now....Judy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]In Oregon, some counties' emergency lines are being clogged with calls about Antifa or Proud Boys starting the wildfires, to the point I've even heard claims BLM has aircraft they're using to drop firebombs or something

This is evidently because rural people are listening to fire scanners and hearing references to BLM and assuming it means Black Lives Matter whereas it actually means the Bureau of Land Management. (Seriously.)

Portland here - the fog this morning made everything look much worse but it's clearing up slightly now. I have lots of allergies and run an air purifier in my house all the time even under normal conditions, so it's on full blast now and it really does make a big difference. I went out to get coffee earlier and the air didn't seem so bad.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2020 8:08 PM

Multnomah sheriff's deputy was sidelined for supporting b.s. about antifa. Also, Mult. Co. Sheriff's in trouble for allowing armed rednecks to set up roadblock and question people. Oregon, I always knew it was a "different" west coast place!

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2020 8:12 PM

R59 it was a Clackamas county deputy, which is where the trump parade originated from a few weeks ago (the night the trump supporter was shot and killed by a self-proclaimed anti-fascist). While Multnomah county has its share of trash, it's not as bad as Clackamas county.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2020 10:30 PM

California has always had wildfires, with some fire seasons being worse than others. the first time I saw the sun turn red and the moon turn pink was back in the 1980s. And there's always been arson, too, and idiot campers and smokers, and there have been blithely negligent power companies who didn't think that putting power cables underground was worth the expense - so what if a few fell down in windstorms and started fires!

The arson, cigarettes, fallen power lines, fucking gender reveals, and all the other things wouldn't be causing these huge wildfires if the forests hadn't become drier and more flammable over the decades, because of climate change, drought, and inadequate forest management measures. Mother Nature intended the forests to be regularly thinned by natural fires but humans have interfered with that and let the forests overgrow and the floors to clutter up, so when fires hit now they're larger and fiercer. It's a combination of long-term human mismanagement and climate change.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote]I am in West Covina

Is White Josh O.K.?!?

If so, tell him to post dick pics!

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2020 12:03 AM

The air’s much clearer in SF today, but that’s apparently not the case in Portland or Seattle. It looks like the smoke is blowing out over the ocean, so there’s a chance it could come at California from the west at some point.

Smoke from the fires has been detected as far away as Ohio and Hawaii!

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2020 8:35 PM

Yes, SF's air is much better today. I could actually open my windows today!

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2020 8:38 PM

Just south of Fresno and although we're in the Very Unhealthy air quality range, the sky has lightened a little. Between the fires and Covid, I've got cabin fever. Thank god for the DL.

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2020 8:42 PM

SF is rated as "unhealthy for sensitive groups" today. A big improvement from "very unhealthy," which means everyone's in danger.

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2020 8:47 PM

Near the Bobcat fire here. Yesterday or AQI on the Purpleair index was over 300; today it's around 150, but it's still very smoky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2020 9:32 PM

My sinuses are going haywire.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2020 9:57 PM

[quote]Mother Nature intended the forests to be regularly thinned by natural fires but humans have interfered with that and let the forests overgrow and the floors to clutter up, so when fires hit now they're larger and fiercer.

WHITE humans. (or Europeans, if you prefer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2020 10:05 PM

Portland looks an iota better today, but still can't go out due to heart and lung concerns. Thanks to whomever posted about Unsolved Mysteries. Those (free on YouTube) killed a couple of hours. This is getting old.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2020 10:57 PM

Portland went from "hazardous" AQI the last few days to "very unhealthy" today. I had to go out for the first time since last Wednesday and it was not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2020 11:44 PM

I'm in NYC. It was forecast to be bright and sunny here today but it turned out to be quite hazy above. The TV weathermen say it is smoke from the west coast fires riding the jet stream..

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2020 2:07 AM

SF has nice clean air today (AQI is 22 - this past weekend it was over 200 for the most part). It was so nice to go for a walk this morning - something I haven’t been able to do in a while.

I hope everyone up north and inland gets clearer air soon!

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2020 4:53 PM

No difference in Portland--started to clear un poco last night, but this a.m. worse than ever. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2020 4:58 PM

The two sensors I'm closest to are 215 and 439, and one a bit farther west is 506!

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2020 5:09 PM

That’s horrible, r74. I lived in Portland for 2 years and can’t remember any episodes of wildfire smoke in the city. The main complaint in the Willamette Valley was smoke from controlled burns by grass-seed farmers.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2020 7:21 PM

Yeah, R76, I think this is a new one.

Last year we had some smoke from the Cali fire. Climate change is upon us and I have no idea what I can do to help. I call and write politicians about other issues, though.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2020 7:30 PM

A few years ago they were fires in the Columbia Gorge at this time of year, and you could smell the fire in Portland; but it's never been like this before. It's like the beginning of "Bleak House," with the horrible poisonous smog everywhere. It's like a yellowish twilight all day long.

I feel so sorry for the homeless people. The other day a guy was asleep with no mask in this on the patio of my coffee shop, and I gave him an extra cloth mask I had in my car. I don't know how you could spent time in this without a mask and not have your life shortened. it is unbelievable.

It's supposed to get better Friday; but it was supposed to be better last weekend by Tuesday, and that got pushed back until tomorrow; and now it's been pushed back to Friday.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2020 7:36 PM

Speaking of climate change... here’s some good news!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2020 7:39 PM

The smoke has reached New England causing hazey skies and red sunsets. I can't even imagine how bad it is out west.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2020 8:09 PM

AQ went from Hazardous to Very Unhealthy back to Hazardous. How lucky we were for that wonderful 'break' when for a few hours our health was being just harmed, not ruined. I have a rotten headache. You'll see, they'll keep promising rain and we'll have a month of this, like L.A. did.

Maybe they don't want us to panic and run through Target yelling "I'm a unicorn!"

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 11:07 PM

These last fires have been made much worse by the 169 million dead trees. We have lost so many trees to bark beetles in the last 5 years. Climate change is bringing on the bark beetles.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2020 11:47 PM

THEI AIR WAS CLEAR THIS MORNING!!! I COULD SEE FOR MILES!!! MY AREA WAS GREEN ON THE AIR POLLUTION INDEX FOR THE FIRST TIME IN WEEKS!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now it's back to yellow, but the biggest fires south and west from me are nearly contained, and the prevailing winds come from the south and west. But my windows are open and the sun is early a normal color and the air smells like normal summer air, and holy hell it's such a relief! This choking pall of smoke has been going on for about a month now, it's been absolutely miserable, something that's drained all the life and joy out of the entire world on a physical and emotional level. Of course it's not over, it won't really be over until the winter rains start, but getting a little break has moved me to tears of gratitude.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2020 1:10 AM

That's pretty meaningless to anyone besides yourself, r83, unless you tell us where you're posting from.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2020 1:12 AM

This sounds like a nightmare. Are any of you tempted to move to somewhere that never gets these fires, like Scotland?

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2020 1:13 AM

It was really bad for a few days up here on Vancouver Island, I woke up every morning with a headache even though I've got a good air purifier unit in the bedroom. Smelled like a campfire with burning plastic undertones, nasty. It's somewhat cleared today and seems to be improving.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2020 1:22 AM

I'm near Hermiston in NE Oregon. Bad like Portland to the west. We are both getting daily headaches which is something new for him. Can't wait until the sun comes back and we can go for a nice long walk. Feeling bad for those with asthma and the elderly, too. Life lately really makes old worries seem trivial. Remember that you are stronger than you know.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2020 1:25 AM

I'm near the Bobcat fire in LA County. They're predicting it will not be contained until OCTOBER 30!

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2020 1:48 AM

In Santa Rosa, CA near the Lightening Complex (and other) fires. Today was the best I've seen in awhile, as contrasted by last week this time when it was dark orange all day like we were approaching Mordor/the Fiery Gates of Hell. i don't know what the AQ was, but i felt ok to have my windows open for a little bit.

In answer to the question about wanting to move somewhere else, that's a big yes...especially since i had to flee the fires of 2017 in my car with my life. i'm tired of this. i was thinking of Oregon until this year. My alternative is back to Western NY (where one of my daughters lives) which has its own challenges. i can't fathom living anywhere else besides WA (don't know anyone there) or someplace in EU (again, don't know anyone there). i work remotely, so could potentially move anywhere in the US. i hate the South (humidity, racism) or midwest (pretty much the same reasons and no larger bodies of water).

Hands tied at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2020 4:03 AM

Yes, R85, I'm a California native who's watched the landscape grow increasingly bleak and dystopian since the days when I used to hike and camp all summer in Yosemite/El Dorado/Humboldt/Marin/Big Sur forests. Now it just feels like an inferno waiting to happen. I'm considering Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire but am stuck here in CA until next fall. Until then I can't sell my property without huge tax penalties.

Bleak winters seem preferable to what we're facing in CA and the West. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice about where in Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire is best? I'm in my 50s and telecommute with no need for nightlife, etc. Just a nice quiet place in the country without looming catastrophe will do.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2020 5:26 AM

I like NW CT and Western MA. Beautiful classic New England towns. Relatively liberal. Gorgeous country. Not a lot to do - but a nice domestic life. You can always drive to NY or Boston to spend a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2020 3:17 PM

Seems like there won’t be an end until November. Which is crazy. Another month and a half of choking smoke. Escape from CA.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2020 3:19 PM

Maine has wildfires too. And floods and blizzards and the occasional tropical storm.

And it doesn’t just have bleak winters - it has bleak autumns and springs too. Snow is possible from November through April, and sometimes longer, depending on where you are.

Other than that, it’s a lovely place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm in Tacoma, air quality has been dreadful for the last week. I've had a headache, scratchy throat, and difficulty breathing. We're expecting rain tomorrow, hope we get some.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2020 3:41 PM

Headed to LA tomorrow. How bad is it?

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2020 4:16 PM

r95 See for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2020 4:23 PM

Wow R96 - amazing San Francisco seems to have perfect air now. That changed quickly. I guess just the direction of the wind. The fires are still burning out of control, right ?

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2020 5:13 PM

The largest fires near SF are nearly contained, there are still big fires to the north and east burning out of control. So for now, the air quality depends on the wind direction - as long as it's from the west or south then the air quality is going to be okay.

As for SoCal... have the Santa Ana winds started yet? This is usually when the SoCal Fire Season starts ramping up.

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2020 5:34 PM

Today in San Francisco, the air quality is GREEN for good - first time in weeks.

All my windows are open!

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2020 5:51 PM

I live in Scotland and you can hike and climb even in the winter, as there are a lot of breaks in the bad weather. Great for walking, canoeing, ice and rock climbing, and the summers are sublime with average temps only in the high 60s and no fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, rattlensnakes or anything you need to fear. My only gripe is the very cold sea temps in the summer so I take myself off to Greece for two weeks in August to get my ocean fix. But Cali doesn't really have warm sea either despite the high temps.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2020 7:23 PM

I'm coping. I live near Pasadena, so I'm literally in the thick of things. The evacuation scare has died down but the air quality is gross. My allergies are acting up. I'm just staying inside. It's sunny right now, so that's nice to see the blue sky trying to peek through.

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2020 7:27 PM

R100, I'll be there tomorrow. Can you pick me up at the airport?

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2020 8:58 PM

R101, I was thinking of going to Pasadena the week after this, but I'm going to keep a close eye on the air quality before I make my reservations.

I mean, spending all day at the Huntington Gardens with my N95 gas mask on doesn't sound like much fun.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2020 5:14 AM

As soon as the air quality hits that sweet spot of Just Lousy, knock yourself out.

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2020 5:30 AM

[quote]I mean, spending all day at the Huntington Gardens with my N95 gas mask on doesn't sound like much fun.

You will still have to wear some type of mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2020 5:59 AM

How is it in San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2020 6:20 AM

Did Oregon and Washington get the predicted rain?

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2020 7:27 AM

If only there were a national radar site showing whether rain was falling in a given area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2020 7:38 AM

^^Well apparently that is a stinky linky for DL. Guess I'll try another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2020 7:41 AM

R106 See R99

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2020 11:35 AM

I am in Bellevue, a Seattle burb. My location is higher than most and it really isn't that bad. Supposed to clear up Fri or Sat with rainfall. I have my windows open. If I die I die. Took some benedryl. Went out once this last week and it wasn't terrible. The closer you are to downtown Seattle, the worse it gets.

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2020 12:16 PM

I'm in Western Mass, and as someone upthread mentioned, the smoke has reached New England and is causing hazy, yellow-ish skies.

It's almost surreal, esp. on top of everything else right now, as if we've entered some post-apocalyptic realm.

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2020 12:21 PM

I’m in Portland, and I woke up at 1:00 am to the sound of rain. It’s raining right at 5:45 am.

Thank god.

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2020 12:48 PM

On the 22nd, Tuesday, it will be the last day of summer. Thank the gods. I am over the heat and smoke.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2020 1:52 PM

In the Bay Area, the 2018 fire and smoke season lasted until mid-November.

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2020 2:07 PM

Where in Bellevue r111?

I’m in Lake Hills. Are you downtown?

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2020 2:17 PM

Portland got an hour of thunder and lightning around 3 am, and now a light rain. The air is still Unhealthy, but feels like a big improvement.

It doesn't matter, though, that this is "over." We can expect similar events more often until we stop burning fossil fuels, eating beef and pork, and using jets like there isn't any other way to travel. For instance, now that we know that business meetings can take place remotely, why go back to flying everywhere for no reason except to show off? Every country in the world needs to slow its pace, revamp its economy and do the right things to stop this.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote]I am in Bellevue, a Seattle burb. My location is higher than most

Somerset?

R116, I grew up there, though now live 3,000 miles away. Weirdly, a work colleague did also, five years behind me. She's back there now dealing with an ill parent, and the air sounds unreal-never anything like that in my 17 years there before escaping.

by Anonymousreply 118September 19, 2020 6:37 PM

Portland us hovering between Good and Moderate today. Hazy but no inversion. Funny, though, I tried opening my window but the landscaping crew decided this was good day to pollute the air with dust and grass particles. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 119September 19, 2020 7:31 PM

I'm in the Inland Northwest. I can see the distant mountains from my balcony for the first time in 10 days, but the air still smells a bit smoky to me. They say it should be significantly improved by late afternoon. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 120September 19, 2020 7:35 PM

San Francisco had a few days of “good” air quality last week, but today the smoke from the huge Mendocino fire is drifting over us. It’s still not nearly as bad as last weekend though.

by Anonymousreply 121September 20, 2020 5:59 PM

That's too bad, S.F. I thought it might be over for you--air is only 'moderate' where I live but I feel pretty good. I'm cleaning and washing all the bedding that is probably full of delightful particulates.

by Anonymousreply 122September 20, 2020 8:59 PM

The "onshore flow" and cooler temps were a welcome reprieve in the Bay Area after The Week from Hell. Of course, it wasn't to last because fires are still burning to the north. A hazy overly of acrid smoke is back to choke us. Happy last days of summer.

by Anonymousreply 123September 20, 2020 9:32 PM

I'm near Sacramento, and the air quality is back to "crappy". Visibility probably five miles, air smells a bit off.

I expected that. I checked the week's wind forecast, and the forecast is for winds blowing from north or south for most of the week, and there are still active fires to the north and south of us. The big bastard fires near the Bay Area itself are almost entirely contained, so there's less locally produced smoke, but wildfire smoke travels hundreds or thousands of miles. Pray for west winds, because that actually gives us blue skies, bright sunlight, and decent air quality, but not a lot forecast for the next week.

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2020 3:57 AM

R124 I am in Chico and starting Sunday temps are going back into 100-degree weather for at least a couple of days. More potential fires. This seems neverending. The fires nearest me started around Aug 19 and I have been smelling it for a month.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2020 5:17 PM

That's horrible, Chico. Are you having heat, too? In Portland it has at least cooled down from early Sept temps.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2020 5:35 PM

No R126 it has been cool here too. Mostly no hotter than 85 degrees. But starting Sunday it will go to 99 then 101 on Mon. In Oct we usually get Santa Ana winds. There are almost always fires somewhere in CA in Oct.

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2020 7:17 PM

Here it comes again... smoke from the horrible fire in Napa is drifting into the central Bay Area. AQI is back to the 150 range here in SF.

Oh well, the clean air was nice while it lasted...

by Anonymousreply 128September 30, 2020 8:59 PM

Actually first nice day in Marin. No smoke smell, no haze. Started to clear later yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 129September 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Scary. You west coast hoes seriously need to move or you're all going to be dying of lung and throat cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2020 1:03 AM

You have to die of something, R130. Tsunami, fires, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods. Mother Nature has seriously had it with ALL us hoes.

by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2020 1:15 AM

R130, that is from a fire in Argentina, but you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2020 1:30 AM

I was in Marin this afternoon, R129, and there was plenty of smoke. More overhead than in my face, which was a change, but th he tops of Mt. Tampa, Angel Island, and the highrises of SF were covered in a heavier layer of smoke. And the air at ground level Sausalito stank.

I looked at the Calfire map closely, and the Napa situation is horrible, but not worst-case. The fire is mostly in the woods and scrub surrounding the valley, or poking up from the valley floor, the towns and vineyards on the valley floor weren't on fire - not yet. But you can see the fire moving along the wooded river beds near Calistoga and St. Helena...

by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2020 5:11 AM

Northwest Marin here and got smoky this afternoon then a little better now. What an absolutely Shiite September. The whole year is a few steps away from apocoplyptic. The election could seal the deal.

by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2020 5:29 AM

I'm in Sonoma County, just east of the waning Walbridge fire. The air quality has been terrible, orange brown skies, ash everywhere with intermittent clearer days, finally getting better until Sunday when the Glass fire ignited and we were once again plunged in darkness. Today was better, I actually gardened.

I've evacuated twice in three years, once with minutes to spare, the second time with a couple of hours before leaving, and twice been ready to go while in a warning zone. Have sheltered evacuating persons and pets. It doesn't get easier. I know better what to pack but it's fucking no fun. With Covid, not a single family member agreed to take me this time if I had to leave. My plan was to board my cat and go to a hotel. Thankfully, many vets take all the evacuated pets they can accommodate. You see the best in people. I'm grateful our warning zone did not become mandatory although the border line was just two blocks away.

I had an evacuee this week from the Glass fire. Evacuees make for interesting guests. If they had time to plan they don't just come with an overnight bag, they come with animals and as many worldly possessions that will fit in their car. I'm not complaining, though. The first time I fled with a few clothes and my cat, the second a grabbed the most inappropriate clothing and was forced to go shopping while staying at my sister's place for five days. Brought two cats, mine and a friend's. One cat was a large kitten at the time and had a blast taunting my sis's dog, the other yowled all night every night.

by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2020 6:04 AM

Orange moon, acrid air in El Dorado County wafting in from the Napa Glass Fire and a new one today, Copper Fire in the closer San Andreas foothills. At least we can all share in the impending apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2020 7:11 AM

And it's a Harvest moon tonight. Should look interesting.

by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2020 2:04 PM

I'm near the Bobcat fire in SoCal. The fire is slowly being eradicated (up to 75% containment this morning) but it was still very ashy/smoky yesterday. Today's better, although we're headed for >100 degree temps again. Latest air quality reading was only 85. The highest it hit a few weeks ago was >500.

by Anonymousreply 138October 1, 2020 7:11 PM

Smokey in Bellevue, Wash—but not eye burning or thick like a few weeks ago. Had a beautiful orange moon last night

by Anonymousreply 139October 1, 2020 7:43 PM

If I never see an orange moon again, it'll be too soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2020 8:13 AM

I’m in SF. Intermittent smell of smoke in the air. Air quality is terrible with no relief until Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 141October 3, 2020 8:43 AM

I'm about 10 miles from the Glass fire and there is a strong hot wind this afternoon. Scary. The Glass Fire is traveling north east between the ruins of two previous fires (Tubbs and Hennessy). It's a less populated area. This is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 142October 3, 2020 11:40 PM

Why is the same damn area burning over and over again? the Coast Range hills east of Napa have had about 9 major fires in the last 10 years! 2 or 3 of them massive!

Yes, the area is naturally arid and fire-prone, but WTF?

by Anonymousreply 143October 3, 2020 11:46 PM

R143, here's a good fire map. The current fires in Napa/Sonoma Counties are burning mostly forests unburned in recent fires. Sort of snaking through them and overlapping somewhat.

The recent and huge Walbridge fire, which was a few miles west of where I live in Sonoma County, burned a forest that has not burned for a long time (I heard in the last century but I'm not sure of the dates). It burned some homes and structures on it's perimeters but didn't make it into any towns.

Do you live in the area? There are vast forests abounding as you must know, but the recent fires have been really close to populated areas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 3, 2020 11:58 PM

It has to be said that people have made the situation much worse. Because people like to live in among the trees, there has been terrific pressure for the past 150 years to suppress the natural fires that are part of the ecosystem of California. The "sensible" way to live in California (and similar Western climates) would be to strictly limit areas of human habitation, keep the foliage in habited areas fire resistant and sparse, and to let the forests outside the cities and towns burn on their natural schedules unimpeded. People who opt to live in the forests should be told that there will be no effort expended whatsoever to save their properties and insurance companies should refuse to insure them. Now, because of climate change, nature is FORCING human beings to adhere to its agenda. And the forests now are much denser and full of underbrush than they have ever been in the past. I foresee that in the future, California cities will be expanses of concrete and grass and low shrubs, and the forests will be much thinner, razed by fire every 10-15 years. That will be driven purely by economics. The expense of fighting these annual forest fires is soon going to be too high to continue business as usual.

by Anonymousreply 145October 5, 2020 4:12 AM

R145, It's getting increasingly difficult for people living in risky forested areas to get insurance coverage. It's getting prohibitively expensive or you can't get it at all.

by Anonymousreply 146October 5, 2020 6:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!