Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2020 DEMOCRATIC SENATE CANDIDATES

AMY MCGRATH vs. Mitch MCConnell - KY

JAIME HARRISON vs. Lindsey Graham - SC

SARA GIDEON vs.Susan Collins - ME

THERESA GREENFIELD vs. Joni Ernst - IA

CAL CUNNINGHAM vs. Thom Tillis - NC

MARK KELLY vs. Martha McSally - AZ

STEVE BULLOCK vs. Steve Daines -MT

JON OSSOFF vs. David Perdue - GA

RAPHAEL WARNOCK vs. Kelly Loeffler - GA

MJ HEGAR vs. John Cornyn -TX

JOHN HICKENLOOPER vs. Cory Gardner - CO

DOUG JONES vs. Tommy Tuberville - AL

BARBARA BOLLIER vs. Roger Marshall -KS

PAULETTE JORDAN vs. Jim Risch - ID

DAN AHLERS vs. Mike Rounds - SD

MARQUITA BRADSHAW vs. Bill Hagerty -TN

MIKE ESPY vs. Cindy Hyde-Smith - MS

AL GROSS vs Dan Sullivan -AK

CHRIS JANICEK vs. Ben Sasse - NE

ADRIAN PERKINS vs Bill Cassidy -LA

ABBY BROYLES vs. Jim Inhofe - OK

PAULA JEAN SWEARENGIN vs Shelly Moore Capito - WV

MERAV BEN-DAVID vs Cynthia Lummis -WY

GARY PETERS vs. John James - MI

BEN RAY LUJAN vs. Mark Ronchetti - NM

CHRIS COONS vs. James DeMartino - DE

DICK DURBAN vs, Mark Curran - IL

ED MARKEY vs. Kevin O'Connor - MA

TINA SMITH vs. Jason Lewis - MN

JEAN SHAHEEN vs. Corky Messner - NH

CORY BOOKER vs. Rik Mehta - NJ

MARK WARNER vs. Daniel Glade - VA

JEFF MERKLEY vs. Jo Rae Perkins - OR

JACK REED vs. Allen Waters -RI

**Dan Whitfield (Independent has not officially made the ballot) vs. Tom Cotton -AK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2020 11:34 AM

House candidates are here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2020 6:41 PM

Republican Tom Cotton is up for reelection and doesn't even have a Democrat running against him, just a Libertarian. That is a crime, Cotton should have to at least put in a little effort.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2020 9:08 PM

Oklahoma Senate GE:

Inhofe (R-inc) 57% (+24)

Broyles (D) 33%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2020 11:39 AM

Independent candidate Max Linn during this Maine debate: I’m going to put your question aside.

Moderator: I ask that you stick to the question

Max Linn: “Request denied.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2020 2:54 AM

Buh bye Max.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2020 5:31 AM

Arkansas isn’t the only fuck up. The Democratic candidate in Nebraska is a sex offender or some nonsense like that and he won’t get off the ballot and make way for another Democrat. The party needs to find serious candidates to run in every race. In the last 20 years we’ve had successful 2 term governors in Oklahoma and Wyoming. I’m tired of watching Republicans win in Massachusetts and Illinois and Maryland and Vermont while we just concede races in red states. You can’t win if you don’t have someone serious running.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2020 5:37 AM

Good points, R6. Especially for statewide office and not specific House districts

[quote] In a text sent on June 4 to her and four other people — a screen shot of which her lawyer, Vince Powers, provided to The New York Times on the condition that the woman’s name be withheld — Mr. Janicek said that he had discussed a work matter with her and that she had argued with him and walked away.

[quote] “Do you think the campaign should spend some I’m getting her laid,” he wrote, adding, “It will probably take three guys.” He then described in explicit terms what he wanted the men to do to her. “Thoughts?!”

[quote] He sent a second text apologizing for his grammar and clarifying that he had meant to say “spend some money on,” not “spend some I’m” — repeating the sexual suggestion in the process. Finally, he wrote that he had been joking.

[quote] Mr. Janicek, a bakery owner, won the Democratic primary last month to challenge Senator Ben Sasse, the Republican incumbent. Nebraska is a solidly red state, and the race is not expected to be competitive.

[quote] Ms. Kleeb, the state party chairwoman, said the party had received a copy of the texts on June 5, the day after they were sent, and immediately contacted Mr. Janicek to set up a meeting. The meeting happened on June 11, and after party leaders asked him to step down, Mr. Janicek asked for a few days to consider it. On Monday, he said he would not end his campaign, at which point party leaders voted to withdraw their support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2020 10:26 AM

The Georgia senator pushed to roll back regulations on prepaid debit cards. Then he acquired stock in an industry leader.

[quote] There is no available evidence that Perdue traded on nonpublic information, a practice barred by federal law. But Perdue does serve as a member of the Senate Banking Committee with jurisdiction over the financial industry. And he has eschewed measures taken by some other lawmakers to more concretely insulate himself from his financial positions. The Senator has not placed his assets in a blind trust, meaning there is no formalized mechanism for ensuring he is not involved in such investment decisions—and that the public must simply take his word for it when he insists he is not.

[quote] And Perdue—or his financial adviser—repeatedly bought First Data stock, sold it off, then bought it again in transactions that coincided with both policy announcements affecting the company and a major merger that sent its stock price soaring. Perdue’s office denied that the senator had any advance knowledge of that merger. But the frequency and timing of those trades, say those familiar with this field, is unusual to see in an account managed by a third-party broker, where more cautious, long-term investments tend to be prized over quick gains through repeated buying and selling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote] In a double-digit victory, Lauren Witzke won the Republican ​primary election ​for Delaware​’s U.S. Senate seat last night, defeating​ opponent James DeMartino, ​who was backed by the state Republican Party. Witzke will be facing Democratic Sen. Chris Coons in the general election this November.

[quote] Witzke’s campaign has been marked by its closeness to extremists. Witzke​ is campaigning on a staunch anti-immigration platform, calling for a 10-year halt on immigration into the United States, and has associated with ​white nationalists. She was endorsed by Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona, who has his own longtime ties to far-right nationalists. And although the Delaware Republican Party endorsed her primary opponent, she claimed on Twitter in February that members of the state’s GOP had “been really good” to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 4:08 PM

I'm interested in Kentucky, Arizona and Maine. Of what I know I don't believe Doug Jones will win reelection in Alabama since Tommy Tuberville was a big coach with Auburn and they love their football down there.

In my state, Tennessee, Marquita Bradshaw will not win. That's a huge Republican held senate seat and Bill Hagerty is a dyed in the wool, Trump-backed candidate and I have seen absolutely nothing from Bradshaw campaign wise. Maybe she's spending all her energy on Memphis and Nashville, I don't know.

I really don't know what to think about South Carolina and Lindsey Graham. We absolutely need to get him out. That is the biggest phony in both houses of Congress and the people of South Carolina need to wise up.

I know McConnell/McGrath is big, but I really think Maine is bigger. Collins has proven herself to be a huge disappointment. Anyone here in Maine have any insight?

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 4:26 PM

Tom Cotton is not running in Alaska [AK] contrary to OPs post.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote] WBTV: Republican Sen. Thom Tillis accepted more than $20,000 in campaign contributions from political action committees tied to pharmaceutical companies within two weeks of sponsoring a bill related to drug prices in late 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote] BREAKING: Former Republican Sen. Nancy Kassebaum endorses Democrat Barbara Bollier in the #kssen race. Kassebaum, who served alongside Bob Dole and preceded Pat Roberts, held the seat for 18 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] The race in Alaska is tied 43% to 43% but now NBC News is reporting that Mitch McConnell's super PAC is going to spend $1.6 million on false, misleading ads attacking me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2020 10:42 PM

[quote] Let’s just be clear: The path to a Senate majority runs through Mississippi.

[quote] We are only 5 points down. Mississippi is a battleground state — no matter what party leaders may say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2020 10:43 PM

Enough with the QAnon loons

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2020 10:45 PM

R13, that's not too surprising about Kassenbaum. Wasn't she more of a moderate?

R15, the same Mike Espy from Clinton's cabinet? Anyway Cindy Hyde-Smith looks like she listens to Darlene McBride.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote] the same Mike Espy from Clinton's cabinet?

YES

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2020 10:50 PM

R6 Part of the reason for that is that Democrats fucking suck at keeping their candidates and talking heads employed. There's not as many think tank jobs avail in DC for when Dems are out of power. Result is Republicans can be professional republicans for a lifetime, whether in office or not while Dems go home and go into other careers.

We need to keep Democrats employed. Run for Senate against Cotton and put in some effort? Get a nice job (not talking Cabinet) in the Biden administration. Its hard to be a candidate in those races though because you're expected to fundraise and it used to be very hard. Today, maybe less so because when Cotton said some crazy shit in the NYT, a real opponent could have raised $1 million off that through Twitter and online even though they had no chance of winning. And with that money, you can buy some ads, hire a few staff, and sometime it turns into a situation like what we see in South Carolina or Iowa, where challengers are even in races with weeks to go and they were not viewed as competitive six months ago

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote] During the special election, 98 percent of Black women — compared to 93 percent of Black men, 34 percent of white women, and 26 percent of white men — backed Jones over Moore. That overwhelming support, combined with depressed Republican turnout, helped Jones secure a narrow and shocking victory for Democrats, who hadn’t won a Senate seat in Alabama for 25 years.

[qoute] After his 2017 election win, Jones has stubbornly made his own way in the Senate. He certainly touts his bipartisan work with Republicans, including the Military Widow’s Tax Elimination Act, the Automotive Jobs Act, and the POWER Act. But Jones hasn’t gone out of his way to try to take Trump-friendly votes, voting against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation and voting to convict the president during the Senate’s February impeachment trial.

[quote] “I think of Manchin at least on cultural issues, is center/center right,” said Alabama Democratic strategist Zac McCrary. “Jones is certainly in his own way moderate and bipartisan, but certainly is not leaning into some of those things. He’s going to be the senator he wanted. He’s not going to twist himself into a pretzel; he’s going to do his own thing.”

[quote] “We need to be the party that looks out for the little guy, the party that is not anti-business by any stretch. ... But we need to make sure that everybody has access to good health care,” Jones said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2020 2:06 PM

This is mental illness

[quote] Now here's an ad for you: Sen. Kelly Loeffler's new spot is all about how she's "more conservative than Attila the Hun," and includes an actor portraying a grunting Attila who delivers orders to, among other things, "eliminate the liberal scribes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2020 7:13 PM

On the flip side, if Warnock manages to squeeze past Collins for the second spot in the runoff, as most Democratic strategists believe he will, then this race ends up at a *very* interesting January runoff, one that Democrats could have a real shot at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote] “A reason why I think biography is so important right now is because the American people want to know who you are. They want to know your values,” said Perkins, who is the grandson of a sharecropper and was the first Black cadet elected class president at West Point. He served three tours in the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan, earning the Bronze Star and the rank of captain. He later graduated from Harvard Law School and is now the mayor of Shreveport.

He's getting lost in the noise now, but like Warnock in GA, Perkins doesn't have to win--he just has to get to second place for a January run-off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2020 10:00 PM

Love love love that Paula Jean Swearengin of WV. Small non-battleground state but I have supported her totally grassroots campaign. Capito is the daughter of the states most corrupt governor and comes by her hypocrisy honest.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2020 10:04 PM

Colorado is looking good for Hickenlooper but its a slim lead at 52-46.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2020 10:09 PM

[quote] A GOP source with eyes on SC tells me despite his in-your-face flip flop on voting in a SCOTUS justice 40-something days before an election, Lindsey Graham is privately rattled about that tie he’s in with @harrisonjaime . He’s never really faced a viable, well-funded challenger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 23, 2020 3:00 AM

Vanessa Vadim - looks more like Roger Vadim than Jane Fonda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 23, 2020 3:44 AM

Loeffler is polling about 25%

Democratic candidate Warnock and Republican Collins are both around 20%. Democratic candidate Lieberman is about 11%

Open primary, so the top two runoff in January.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2020 12:09 PM

Fuck, Liebermans. Why are they even Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2020 12:15 PM

I keep waiting to hear the theories on why Lieberman is even running. Carter and Nunn both had kids/grandkids that ran and lost in GA and they have a reputation in GA. He can't have thought he could win...It's as if he's some sort of a Republican plant meant to keep Dems out of the runoff. Wonder what he was promised.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2020 4:46 PM

New University of Alabama Senate Poll

Doug Jones - 51%

Tommy Tuberville - 48%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2020 12:31 AM

Wow 😳

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2020 1:00 AM

Go, Doug!

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2020 2:35 AM

Cal Cunningham is the quickest route to the senate. If he wins, we win, and Biden wins. He’s also a daddy.

Please donate if you can. Dems don’t win the senate unless he wins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2020 2:37 AM

I keep telling you Jones has a very good chance to pull this off!

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2020 2:55 AM

Black Women will show up for jones

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2020 3:03 AM

Tuberville is a total joke

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2020 3:05 AM

So often I think the Democratic party is the only thing keeping LGBTQ people safe from the Haters. And that is so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2020 3:45 AM

It’s true

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2020 1:55 PM

TEXAS IS IN PLAY!

[quote] Stakes are now sky high. So we go BIG today. Biggest prize. Biggest goal yet.

[quote] Last poll has MJ Hegar, mom/vet/activist, TIED in Texas.

[quote] Texas is THE prize. We win there, it’s over. White House & Senate. This is crazy, but can we raise $200K for MJ today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 27, 2020 6:15 PM

I lived in Alabama for 25 years and still have family there. Many hate Trump with the fire of a thousand suns. Tommy Tuberville is a sleaze and grifter. He was as a coach, and hasn't changed.

I donated to Doug Jones again today, and to several others mentioned on DL. My main objective is to have as much democratic representation in North Carolina as possible.

by Anonymousreply 41September 27, 2020 8:40 PM

^ Thanks for contributing to Doug Jones. He's a good man.

by Anonymousreply 42September 27, 2020 8:41 PM

Hegar looks tough. This is who I like to see kicking repub ass. I’ll donate to her,

by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2020 9:01 PM

I have been predicting TX will go light blue, Moderate Democrat for years.

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2020 11:29 PM

Alaska Senate Poll:

Sullivan (R-inc) 46%

Gross (I) 45%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote]New University of Alabama Senate: Poll Doug Jones - 51%

[quote]TEXAS IS IN PLAY!

YES ! Vamos Texas !!!!

by Anonymousreply 46September 29, 2020 1:52 AM

Same insane polling from Georgia today by Quinnipiac University (B+ pollster), 23-27 Sep (LV) Biden +3

Georgia 1 Senate

Warnock (D) +8

GEORGIA 2 Senate

Ossoff (D) +1

by Anonymousreply 47September 29, 2020 6:32 PM

Georgia poll of likely voters: Quinnipiac

---PRESIDENTIAL

Biden 50%

Trump 47%

---SENATE

Ossoff (D) 49%

Perdue (R) 48%

---SENATE SPECIAL

Warnock (D) 31%

Loeffler (R) 23%

Collins (R) 22%

Lieberman (D) 9%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 29, 2020 7:08 PM

It's amazing to see all these battleground states, so many potential flips. <3

I want to see 8 flips minimum.

by Anonymousreply 49September 29, 2020 7:18 PM

Senate (Georgia)

Ossoff (D) 48% Perdue (R) 46% Hazel (L) 3%

9/26-9/29 by Civiqs (B/C) 969 LV

Woof! Can I have a treat?

Poll #130484 #ElectionTwitteR

by Anonymousreply 50September 29, 2020 7:56 PM

What the fuck is happening in Georgia? Thats a very sudden and sharp turn around in the races!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51September 29, 2020 8:53 PM

My two (related) guesses, R51:

1) This is the first poll since the chaos and ugliness of nominating Amy C Barrett

2) They redefined "likely voters"

by Anonymousreply 52September 29, 2020 9:01 PM

All restrictions have been lifted in Tennessee. All is back to normal

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2020 9:19 PM

Gabby Sidibe @GabbySidibe

Click the link to help donate to Marquita Bradshaw’s race to the US Senate! If you donate, you’ll get a show! Hooray! Also, look at Marquita! I love a Black Woman in charge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2020 12:46 AM

Jaime is in trouble with his mom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2020 12:42 PM

Though Peters has held the edge in the polls and is favored to win, James, a retired Apache helicopter pilot in the Army, has been a prolific fundraiser. And the race has tightened since the summer. It’s one of the GOP’s two pickup opportunities, along with Doug Jones’ seat in Alabama, in a Senate map that otherwise favors Democrats.

“Mitch McConnell’s allies are spending over $16 million to prop up James because they want another vote to gut pre-existing conditions coverage, undermine a woman’s right to choose, and obstruct Great Lakes funding,” Peters campaign spokeswoman Vanessa Valdivia said in an email, referring to the Senate majority leader.

Both the Peters and James campaigns and their allied outside groups have spent heavily in the state, which President Donald Trump won by less than half a point in 2016. The state appears to be Democrat Joe Biden's to lose this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 1, 2020 12:54 PM

“I worry about losing my job every day,” a man identified as John W. from Paducah, Ky., says in the ad, which the McGrath campaign spent $200,000 to air in the Cincinnati market this week. “I’m voting for President Trump again, but I cannot vote for Mitch McConnell.”

“Mitch McConnell voted for 16 trade deals and sent those jobs overseas, and that’s crap in my book,” he adds. “That’s basically stabbing the knife in my back, as well as all the other Kentuckians. Thirty-six years is long enough. If President Trump wants to drain the swamp, let’s start with Mitch McConnell.”

“I’m voting for Amy,” John W. concludes.

From the beginning, she has made appealing to Trump voters a core part of her strategy ― a decision that, while necessary in Kentucky, has also earned criticism from Democrats in the Bluegrass State and beyond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2020 11:21 PM

Vote blue to get our lives back to normal!

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2020 11:32 PM

Democrats couldn't find a candidate to run against Tom Cotton in Arkansas? Tom Perez couldn't get his butt down to Arkansas and organize something? Terrible messaging.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2020 11:42 PM

R59:

Mahony claimed that an unspecified family member's unspecified illness was the motivation behind his sudden exit. But just after the filing period closed, the state Republican Party put out a press release saying it planned to file a Federal Election Commission complaint over irregularities in Mahony's campaign finances. A memo sent to Cotton supporters after Mahony dropped out indicated that state Republicans had uncovered other material damaging to his candidacy — and had waited to divulge that information until the filing period had closed with the express purpose of keeping Cotton from having a challenger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2020 11:51 PM

Georgia Democrat Raphael Warnock raised more than $12.8 million over the last three months of his campaign to oust Sen. Kelly Loeffler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 3, 2020 1:49 AM

Good. Loeffler is a racist, greedy twat

by Anonymousreply 62October 3, 2020 1:59 AM

Cal Cunningham caught in sexting scandal

by Anonymousreply 63October 3, 2020 3:35 AM

Cal, why Run If you are incapable of being disciplined?

by Anonymousreply 64October 3, 2020 3:36 AM

Since you didn't provide any evidence whatsoever, R63, I just Googled for more info.

Should I read further on FreeRepublic or TigerDroppings.com?

by Anonymousreply 65October 3, 2020 3:46 AM

Today's polls yet again show both Warnock and Ossoff either leading or tied as well as Biden leading by a sizeable margin in the state. Something's brewing in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 66October 3, 2020 9:43 AM

Ok, R63, story is being reported by legitimate organizations now so I apologize.

[quote] Cunningham apologized late Friday in a statement reported by multiple news outlets. The text messages, sent to public relations strategist Arlene Guzman Todd, were first revealed by NationalFile.com.

[quote] Screengrabs of the messages show Cunningham told Guzman Todd, “Would make my day to roll over and kiss you about now,” to which she replies, “You’re so sweet. I would enjoy that.”

[quote] Another shows Guzman Todd tell Cunningham, “the only thing I want on my to do list is you,” to which Cunningham replies, “Sounds so hot and so fun!”

[quote] It’s unclear when the messages were sent, but at one point Cunningham says he’s “Nervous about the next 100 days,” which could be a reference to the Senate election. One hundred days before the election would be July 26, the News & Observer reported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 3, 2020 12:39 PM

Geeve me a fuckeeng breaak, I don't geeve a fuck about the sexteeng stuff. I really don't care, do u?

by Anonymousreply 68October 3, 2020 1:24 PM

I don’t, but enough NC voters probably will

by Anonymousreply 69October 3, 2020 1:25 PM

We agree with @Rosannecash -- we're lucky to have Doug in the Senate!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 4, 2020 11:57 AM

Jamie Harrison essentially ethered Lady G in their debate last night. Plexiglass partition and all.

by Anonymousreply 71October 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Nate is forecasting Democrats taking the majority, losing Alabama and only picking up four seats:

Maine,

North Carolina

Colorado

Arizona

***Iowa = tossup

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2020 1:29 PM

NC Is Iffy with a scandalous Cunningham

by Anonymousreply 73October 6, 2020 2:11 PM

Collins and Gideon neck-and-neck in new Maine Senate poll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2020 2:48 AM

According to court filings obtained by American Ledger, North Carolina Republican Senator Thom Tillis’ ex-wife alleged “cruel and inhuman treatment” by Tillis, raising questions about the reasons surrounding the couple’s eventual divorce. In Tennessee, where the couple was married, “cruel and inhuman treatment” legally includes domestic violence, adultery, emotional or verbal abuse, and sexual assault.

The divorce complaint, filed in August 1979 on Tillis’ birthday, stated that Tillis was “guilty of such cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the plaintiff as renders further cohabitation unsafe and improper.” The divorce filing also noted that Tillis’ ex-wife felt “unsafe and improper” living with Tillis any further because of his actions, which may include any or all of the actions outlined in the law.

Tillis’ relationship with his ex-wife was apparently tenuous, as indicated by the fact that the 1979 divorce proceeding came 6 months after their marriage and was followed by a 1981 divorce, a second marriage, and ultimately a second divorce in 1987. The first marriage, which started to unravel with the court document seen below, ultimately lasted two years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 7, 2020 6:03 PM

Army investigating Senate candidate, Reserve officer Cal Cunningham after affair reports

The military prohibits adultery and other activities that it says are detrimental to the “good order and discipline in the armed forces” or bring discredit to the armed forces. Soldiers can be prosecuted for it.

Cunningham is attempting to unseat Republican incumbent U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, and the Tillis seat is one that the Democrats have fought hard to pick up in a bid to take majority control of the Senate.

In a statement Oct. 7 to the USA Today Network, Cunningham communications director Rachel Petri said Cunningham would cooperate with the investigation.

"Cal will participate in this process, but it does not change the stakes of this election or the need for new leaders who will fight for the issues North Carolinians care about instead of caving to the corporate special interests – which is exactly what Senator Tillis has done in his years in Washington," she said.

After news of this affair and a possible second affair were made public late last week and on Monday, the campaign said this is a personal matter and Cunningham will not drop out of the race.

Cunningham had previously issued an apology for his actions.

Tillis, who is recovering from testing positive for COVID-19, on Wednesday commented on Twitter about the matter.

“Cal Cunningham is now under investigation by the U.S. Army Reserve. He owes North Carolinians a full explanation,” Tillis said. “The truth still matters in North Carolina, Cal.”

‘He should know military law’

The military doesn’t shy from enforcing its policy against extramarital affairs, said Tod Leaven, an Army veteran and lawyer in Asheville.

“For officers, having an affair is an absolute career killer,” Leaven said. “They totally enforce it, and everyone knows it.”

While court-martials for adultery aren’t common, Leaven said personnel who break the military’s prohibition on “Extramarital Sexual Conduct” can face less-than-honorable discharges, known informally as “bad paper.”

Leaven said the ban, spelled out in Article 134 of the Universal Code of Military Justice, guards against servicemembers being compromised by the raw emotions and potential blackmail of extramarital affairs.

“Affairs are so sensitive, and people do really, really stupid stuff to try to hide an affair and that could just jeopardize a unit,” he said.

Leaven, who knows Cunningham and still supports him in the Senate race, said he was dismayed by the Democratic candidate’s actions, especially given the fact that Cunningham was a military prosecutor.

“He should know military law better than anyone else,” he said. “If there’s an expert on the Universal Code of Military Justice, it should be Cal. And knowing it, he still decided to take the risk, and that’s on him.”

While Leaven said the Army Reserve can’t create a double standard by approach the Cunningham situation differently, he does feel the policy against extramarital sexual conduct can be antiquated at times, especially for members of the Army Reserve who spend most of their time off duty.

Some veterans question how much private shortcomings impact their military performance.

“I would say it’s a private thing,” said Foryst Blackburn, a Vietnam War veteran in Wilkes County. “I don’t think a man’s personal life affects his ability to serve his country, but it’s sort of a black mark if they’re running for an office of some kind.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 7, 2020 6:28 PM

Now that's what I call an old fashioned mud slinging. The gloves are off, I see.

by Anonymousreply 77October 7, 2020 6:36 PM

This is the first poll in a while that finally shows Bullock with lead out of margin of error. Bullock +2 (LV)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 7, 2020 10:32 PM

Greenfield Shatters Fundraising Records With $28.7M Haul

Theresa Greenfield raised more money in the last three months than any Iowan running for U.S. Senate had raised in an entire election cycle.

In the third fundraising quarter of 2020, spanning July through September, Greenfield’s campaign says it raised $28.7 million, a “record-shattering” figure never before reported by a U.S. Senate candidate in Iowa. The campaign is expected to report closing Q3 with more than $9 million in cash-on-hand. The total is even more than both Bruce Braley and Joni Ernst’s combined 2014 fundraising for that entire cycle (both raised about $12 million each).

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2020 8:17 PM

First poll out of Kansas showing Bollier leading Marshall in Senate race.

Bollier 45%

Marshall 42%

Donate to Barbara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2020 9:24 PM

Hi @LindseyGrahamSC .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2020 1:47 PM

Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, who less than a week ago said she “wouldn’t mind” debating Democratic challenger Mike Espy, said on Wednesday evening a debate is “the last thing I’m worried about.”

‘The last thing I’m worried about’: Sen. Hyde-Smith walks back willingness to debate Espy

Espy has accepted two debate invitations and has publicly chided Hyde-Smith for not doing the same.

“There is just such stark differences,” Hyde-Smith told WJTV on Wednesday. “So why would such stark differences, so much emphasis being put on a debate — if it was, if we were so close and people really wanted to hear, Mike Espy would be the most liberal candidate we’ve ever had in Mississippi. I’m a proven conservative, so, you know, I don’t think a lot of minds would be changed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2020 8:12 PM

Fairly soporific Texas Senate debate. Unsatisfying quick-bite format. Hegar was OK but muted. Cornyn really doesn’t know much about anything, tried for bipartisan cred, and when he went for the red meat, he didn’t sound like his heart was in it.

#TexasSenateDebate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 10, 2020 1:26 AM

I wish cal Cunningham would have cheated on his wife with me. He’s a DADDY

by Anonymousreply 84October 10, 2020 1:29 AM

[quote] Lindsey Graham, facing a Black challenger: "If you're a young African American...you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative not liberal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 10, 2020 2:13 AM

Libertarian challenger Ricky Harrington touts polling against Tom Cotton

[quote] Ricky Harrington, the Libertarian candidate for U.S. Senate against Republican Sen. Tom Cotton is touting a poll that puts him only 11 points behind and Cotton short of 50 percent support.

[quote] The poll was by American Research Group (B rated by fivethirtyeight.com) and based on live interviews with 600 likely voters on landlines and cell phones.

[quote] Considering how little attention has been given to this race by the public and the media, for a relatively unknown challenger to be polling this well is noteworthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 11, 2020 7:53 PM

If you're looking for your donation dollars to go a long way towards flipping the Senate, I highly recommend contributing to these underfunded Democratic candidates who are in close races in the Midwest, West, and South:

GREENFIELD -- Iowa

BULLOCK -- Montana

GROSS -- Alaska

HEGAR -- Texas

OSSOFF -- Georgia

WARNOCK -- Georgia

Right now, Amy McGrath has more money in her war chest than she could possibly spend (some of it from me!), but it looks like she does not have a realistic chance at this point of winning. But Greenfield, Bullock, Gross, Hegar, Ossoff, and Warnock all do have one, and they need your support.

Other candidates who have a realistic change of flipping a seat but who probably have more than enough money right now in their war chests include Gideon (Maine) and Harrison (SC). I cannot recommend anyone not contribute to their campaigns because it is vital we flip those seats, but money does not seem to be as big of a deciding factor in these cases because their war chests are pretty big.

by Anonymousreply 87October 11, 2020 8:03 PM

p.s.--I have contributed to the campaigns of every single Democratic candidate named in my post above, as well as to some others too (as well as to Biden/Harris)

by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2020 8:04 PM

I'll second your list, R87, with one addition:

ESPY -- Mississippi

by Anonymousreply 89October 11, 2020 8:21 PM

Please consider Gary Peters in Michigan - his race is awfully tight and he needs to keep his seat, but McConnell is funneling money there now. (Plus he's in quarantine because he sat next to that jerk Ron Johnson.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 11, 2020 8:24 PM

Shame the Rep in Georgia has 2 idiots splitting the vote. Selfish indeed.

by Anonymousreply 91October 11, 2020 9:24 PM

Please F&F this Redundant Copycat Thread Thief.

We’ve been covering this for months before the OP tried to steal our thunder.

The extensive coverage is here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 11, 2020 9:26 PM

Why are the FIRST NAMES of the first listed candidates in CAPS? Doesn't that show bias?

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2020 5:11 AM

McGrath and McTurtle debate is tonight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2020 11:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!