Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are any of you on Nextdoor?

When I moved to my new house, my neighbors recommended that I get on Nextdoor to keep up with neighborhood news and info. While it has been helpful for that, I must say those of us on DL are amateurs compared to the pointless bitchery, fighting, and trolling that exists on Nextdoor.

I'm just a lurker, but oh my goodness.

by Anonymousreply 164September 13, 2021 12:14 PM

I am and I get a lot of helpful information from it. I don’t use my real name. I also block my address. I do not participate in any bitchy fighting either.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2020 3:09 PM

I was curious and tried it, and I found all my neighbors are bitchy busybodies, so I left. I don't mind that here where we're all anonymous, but I was worried I'd see my name eventually as one of the people they bitch about.

Leaving was nearly impossible. If you sign up once for them, you are signed up for about fifteen different kinds of mail lists, and it's hard to get off all of them at once: when I tried, I had to do it one by one.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2020 3:15 PM

I live in a rather "snooty" neighborhood (my partner's house, not mine). The nextdoor people in my neighborhood are PSYCHO. There is constant "Omg, I saw a teenager that looked shady and he skateboarded very close to my mailbox the other day. I haven't seen him since. I'm so worried that these transients are hanging out in our neighborhood."

Another recent fave was, "I think I saw someone sleeping in their car - I was on my morning jog, and didn't want to completely stop. As I ran by, I'm certain a person was sleeping IN THEIR CAR. I know they weren't dead, because I saw them yawn. This was a blue car and it was in the driveway at __ whatever street."

Seriously. These people aren't kidding, either.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2020 3:17 PM

My Nextdoor has a neighborhood moderator, and she rules with an iron fist. She doesn't allow any bitchery or fighting and no political discussion, so mine is rather vanilla. I did get tired of Nextdoor itself sending me emails that said one of my neighbors had posted something and it was just Nextdoor administration, tell me about the census, or wearing masks, or things for sale so I went to weekly digest instead of daily emails. I complained to Nextdoor about them spamming my mail box but they didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2020 3:18 PM

The Whole Foods in the neighborhood closed and moved to another location. The closed store attracted some minor graffiti. One poster was so upset saying things about feeling unsafe knowing there were such people in the community that would do such a thing. Lots of pearl clutching and lost dogs. I wish they would let you read the Nextdoor for other neighborhoods just to lurk.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2020 3:28 PM

There is a huge fight going on now about a neighbor's dog going up to other dogs. And I swear to God, they are about to pull out switchblades.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2020 3:31 PM

Sounds like a great resource for organizing The Purge

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2020 3:34 PM

Nothing triggers me more than that F'n app. I call people out on their bullshit all the time. I literally can't help myself.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2020 3:35 PM

There was a discussion about high utility costs in my city and my landlord basically admitted to overcharging my rent so that they could pay the bills on their own house. Fun times!

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2020 3:37 PM

Racist BS masquerading as concern for safety in my Nextdoor from time to time. “Keep on the lookout for black teenagers and call the cops when you see them” was one of the worst and most racist. In my town, a ton of bickering over city, state, and federal politics and it’s led by one or two conservative men who always start shit and then troll others. And then the rest is car break ins, missing animals, and asks for housecleaning services.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2020 3:49 PM

After reading OP I ran to Nextdoor to see all the carnage. Very boring and similar to our local Facebook groups—missing pets, requests for advice and stuff for sale. Disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2020 3:49 PM

Karens need a place to Karen when they are at home.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2020 3:55 PM

Yes, I use it for lost pet info and crime. Other than that I stay off. I live in a very Trumpian area and they gang up on anyone who dare shows any dissent politically or says something negative about Plumpy. Usually the same culprits and all of them bitching on Nextdoor about wearing masks and the fake "plandemic". One guy is named Justin Paul and he's a total psycho loon who claims to be ex-military and has a shirtless photo of himself right after working out. Doesn't appear to have a job at all. Just trolls Nextdoor fighting with people about politics and masks.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]pearl clutching and lost dogs

Love their first album, everything that came after SUCKS!

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2020 4:27 PM

My favorite feature of Nextdoor is when people try to sell their crap at hugely inflated prices. NOBODY is interested in buying your 8 year-old IKEA couch for $250 no matter how clean it looks. I wouldn't take it for free. Seriously, I've seen ratty old throw pillows for sale for $30. Get fucked!

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2020 4:28 PM

It is a gossip lovers dream. Occasionally it is useful in an emergency etc. I avoid it mostly.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2020 4:37 PM

Our subdivision's pool has been closed all summer because of the virus, so my Nextdoor is mostly either asking when the pool will reopen, or bitching about people climbing the fence to use the pool, or calling the cops if they see anyone at the pool.

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2020 4:46 PM

Can you post things like “how to have a secret affair?” or “Which neighborhood husband is the hottest/easiest?”

I’d like to see reactions to THAT.

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2020 4:48 PM

I live in a small liberal college town. No drama on Nextdoor. Just postings of bear sitings, cats running around, etc.

It is mostly spam for real estate for sale, or other crap for sale, so I mostly never bother with NextDoor.

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2020 5:38 PM

I eschewed it ... just like I eschewed Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2020 7:44 PM

I'm currently in a running feud with some Trumpers (talk about pointless).

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2020 7:49 PM

R15 So true!!! People will try to sell their grandparents’ used bed frame for $500 on Nextdoor! Or a set of small, used nightstands for $200–like wtf you’re charging more than brand new prices for ugly old shit! I’ve seen this a lot since moving to CA. People think “if I overpaid for this ugly hutch 20 years ago, so should you.”

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2020 7:52 PM

[quote] Usually the same culprits and all of them bitching on Nextdoor about wearing masks and the fake "plandemic".

They are the same ones at Starbucks who order an 'expresso' and then ask what it is.

by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2020 7:53 PM

I was on it for a while, because it seemed like it would be useful. After about a month, I deleted my account. Just a gathering place for nosey house fraus and olds to post idiotic stuff and complain about everything. Too bad

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2020 7:54 PM

Great place to get local home maint referrals.

Never knew how racist my neighborhood was.

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2020 7:57 PM

Yeah, Nextdoor proves that it is not ONLY homos who are capable of hysteria, paranoia and pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2020 7:57 PM

Typically I would agree with R24. I don't have any other social media, but being on Nextdoor has alerted me to certain things that I wouldn't have automatically been aware of being a newbie to this neighborhood. I just had no idea, I was walking into a Sharks versus Jets street battle on almost every topic.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2020 7:58 PM

It's like a Home Owner's Association.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2020 8:01 PM

Does the NextDoor app come pre-installed on a Consumer Cellular phone? I only want to pay for what I use.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2020 8:03 PM

I was on for a few days and it was tedious.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2020 8:04 PM

It's expressly designed for psychotroids.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2020 8:05 PM

Patty Schemel from Hole posted her favorite Nextdoor message where a woman wrote that someone put a bag of dog poop and a cigarette butt in her trash can on the street without her permission.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2020 8:06 PM

I have an account, but have never posted anything. I've never joined Facebook, and I've come to realize this is a lot like FB. I appreciate the posts about lost/found pets, and the latest coyote sightings. I've had to suppress the urge to reply to the guy complaining that this is the FOURTH TIME THE CHANGE HAS BEEN STOLEN OFF HIS CAR DASHBOARD!

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2020 2:38 AM

A HOUSECOW AND HOUSEOAF MECCA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2020 2:41 AM

I found it useful for selling or giving away furniture, but eventually quit because of all the Covidiocy being spouted there.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote] After reading OP I ran to Nextdoor to see all the carnage. Very boring and similar to our local Facebook groups—missing pets, requests for advice and stuff for sale.

Same. OP must have interesting nabe.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2020 2:46 AM

I joined in the beginning of the year, and it was useful at the start of our stay at home period in L.A.. There were 3 different people breaking into garages, foyers of apartment buildings, or just going up to people's porches and stealing all their packages. Several people from different buildings got cam footage of them and they were eventually caught and arrested, because they would systematically hit street by street.

Now it's all missing animals and please wear your masks, with occasional reports of businesses or restaurants closing.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2020 2:47 AM

One of my favorite Nextdoor comments was in response to someone "innocently" wondering what an appropriate amount of time is to keep a mobile storage unit on the curb outside of one's house. First, most liked comment: "However long the person paying for it deems appropriate."

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2020 2:52 AM

According to the karens on next door, my upper class neighbor is a hellscape in Venezuela. Want to make a bet about how many of these stupid and racist karens can find Venezuela on a map? It's pointless for correct information.

Nextdoor is selling your information, inc GPS. This is pretty scary. There is no upside to this ap.

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2020 3:05 AM

I never post but my neighbors are PARANOID

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2020 3:07 AM

My favorite : The three older women who kept posting about unmarked vans driving slowly through the neighborhood making frequent stops. Should the cops be called? Are they on your street now? Turns out the vans were Amazon delivery drivers.

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2020 3:15 AM

They should have called it Gladys Cravitz.com

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2020 3:37 AM

I spend more time lurking on Nextdoor than I care to admit, but I use a pseudonym and I hardly ever post.

When my husband and I first moved, someone posted about how our town is becoming more diverse and she loved it. There was a comment back about racial diversity being okay, but those damned homosexuals better keep it in their pants in front of the neighborhood kids.

People bitch about my in-laws all the time, but never by name. Everyone parks in front of their house for Sunday Dinner - this is apparently an issue.

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2020 3:43 AM

I live in Brooklyn. You would be surprised (or not) at how many Millennials in Brooklyn on NextDoor are pro-illegal-fireworks-at-4am and pro-looting/burglary, and how many of them you can’t call the cops on anyone because the cops are more likely than not to murder the perps immediately upon arrival.

Other than those naïve clowns, I find NextDoor to be a nice site to visit!

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2020 3:56 AM

*how many of them say you can’t call the cops

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2020 3:57 AM

Most of the people in my neighborhood are helpful. We post about law mowing services, lost dogs, car detailing etc. I just mostly see practical stuff.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2020 3:57 AM

Nextdoor is good for a laugh sometimes but it generally pisses me off. Wow, though. I didn't know how many people were close to retarded.

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2020 3:58 AM

As someone said, it's good for finding local people who do home maintenance. Otherwise mine is very earnest and boring. Dogs, leashes and dog parks seem to generate the most heated controversy in my neighborhood (along with whether cats should be kept indoors).

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2020 4:03 AM

I lurk under a pseudonym and use it for entertainment. There are some useful home maintenance recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2020 4:03 AM

R20 - hope you pronounce that word correctly or your neighbors will eschew you.

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2020 4:04 AM

Now I wish I hadn't joined. It was cute when it was all missing cats and tables on sale for $85 but now I know every detail about every crime committed in a 5-mile radius. The unrest that swept my city this summer put everyone on edge and NextDoor now is the outlet for conspiracy theories and nutty commentary.

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2020 4:07 AM

One day I received a hand addressed envelope with a letter inviting me to join Nextdoor. The envelope bore a local postmark and the letter was just signed "your neighbor," and contained a code to use to create an account on Nextdoor. I interpreted it as a signal to avoid the creepers on there, but it does make me wonder. Do Nextdoor members get some kind of reward for recruiting new people?

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2020 4:20 AM

No reward, just more green blocks on the neighborhood map.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2020 5:01 AM

Yes, r52! Reading the comments from my neighbors, you’d think it was Thunderdome out there. People screeching about how everything’s going to hell because someone walking alone in a major city at 1:00 a.m. was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2020 9:16 AM

Sorry, that was meant for r51. (No offense, r52!)

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2020 10:54 AM

My usual response to the constant reporting of suspicious characters in the neighborhood is to simply post this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2020 4:02 PM

R56, remember, though, Mrs. Kravitz was right about what she saw.

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2020 9:41 PM

According to my "neighbors" on next door, there are marauding hordes outside my door right now. Armageddon and the Rapture has already begun, coinciding with the launch date of this app.

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2020 12:25 AM

I live in a rather rural neighborhood. The majority of posts are “Is this your lost dog? Horse? Peacock?” But then some religious idiot ruins it by posting bible quotes. Fucker. I was just checking to see if the peacock found its way back home.

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2020 12:34 AM

i was invited so i joined, maybe a chance to embed a little more in my neighborhood (UES, Manhattan). there are recommendations and that's quite useful, but the place is poisoned with rightwingers, one of whom complained -please sit down for this - that she saw a rat in the subway. such a thing was never seen when giuliani was mayor, nor the "hordes" of "homeless maniacs" who now for the first time in history have come to new york. i've put so many people on mute that i can't count them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2020 12:35 AM

I'm not on Nextdoor because 99% of my replies would be "fuck you cunt!"

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2020 1:01 AM

Are you human garbage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote] I was just checking to see if the peacock found its way back home.

Well, did it?

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2020 2:05 AM

I was kicked off after my first three days.

Pussies.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2020 2:11 AM

NextDoor makes me glad I don't know any of my neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2020 2:12 AM

That Best of Next Door is gold.

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2020 2:26 AM

R63 Yes! The peacock did indeed fly home. He’s a minor celebrity now.

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2020 2:37 AM

what do peacock eat? What weather do they prefer?

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2020 2:39 AM

The Zoo is nearby, so their peacocks often show up in our back yards. The Zoo's advice is to leave them alone, since they'll find they're way back home. I didn't realize how many people in my neighborhood kept chickens, guinea fowl, and rabbits.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2020 2:45 AM

I was lurking when a couple of Karen Housecows were getting torn into a local retired businessman who has dedicated years to raising funds for cancer research charities: they were chewing on the belief that the proceeds were lining his pockets. Knowing the facts I responded to their libellous statements in his defence then had to close the door quickly as they picked up and aimed their pitchforks at me. Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2020 3:01 AM

that's adorable (about the peacocks).

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2020 6:10 AM

I still can't get over knowing almost every inch of my neighborhood's streets and sidewalks are being video-recorded by little Amazon porch, driveway, and backyard cams. I am literally being filmed by my neighbors whenever I do anything outside, yea!! And even when they do get film of some guy walking fully up to the camera to steal a package/cause mischief, his face will still ALWAYS be an unrecognizable blur.

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2020 7:23 AM

My neighborhood's NextDoor is exactly the opposite. There has been a huge increase in property crimes like stolen packages, house break-ins, car thefts/car windows smashed, etc. Lots of these have been on video. Whenever a black person is responsible, certain ND posters gang up on the person who posted it, threatening that if they call the police they will be responsible for the death of the package thief because the cops will most likely murder him. They also chastise people who complain about their packages being stolen (but only if the perpetrator is black) because black people are "hungry" and have no choice but to steal packages. It's like a clumsy and unfunny parody of SJWs, but it's very real and these people are quite serious.

I blocked about 20 people and the site is now marginally usable for contractor recommendations, warnings about street closures, etc.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2020 2:23 PM

[quote]According to my "neighbors" on next door, there are marauding hordes outside my door right now.

A bunch of Nextdoor Trumpster Karens were shut down in my 'hood when a handful of teens did a BLM rally at the height of the protesting because they were spreading hysteria about "unruly terrorist" gangs infiltrating the area and destroying property. The same group of lovely women are also apparently Qanoners because they suddenly started a lot of talk about #Savethechildren and actually tried to target some poor guy who works with kids as a pedo. Completely baseless and unfounded. Luckily the powers that be yanked the thread.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2020 4:26 PM

Can I sign up for nextdoor and lurk without giving my actual address? Like choose a store address and fake name? I want to lurk.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2020 4:27 PM

R75, you can use a fake name, but they have to mail you a post card with a log in number to your address. So you can do it if you can pick up that post card at whatever address you gave them.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2020 4:33 PM

No, you are asked to join through your neighborhood. They invite the neighborhood. You need a code which is sent to your address. You need to give them a lot of information to register. Then, they track you.

Good God, imagine if the Nazi had this app.

They are probably developing this app to sale to totalitarian countries. Or are we a totalitarian country now?

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2020 4:41 PM

You can use a fake name and address, but you need to use your real cell # because they text you a code to register with.

And r74 what a bunch of cunts! I'm sorry you live around people like that.

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2020 6:20 PM

Thanks R78. I haven't seen those biddies posting since then so they were either banned or put in time out. I hope the poor guy sues for slander. They posted his name and address.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2020 6:27 PM

Best of NextDoor is hilarious. And the lady who runs it is an honorary Datalounger for putting Gladys Kravitz as the profile pic.

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2020 6:33 PM

I just signed up with a fake name. No post card or code.

by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2020 1:22 PM

They have your name and GPS. You just gave the company permission to conduct surveillance on you. And what do you get for selling your privacy right? You find out that there is someone in your neighborhood that leaves their trash can out longer than someone else. Oh and, the bogus crime that that asshole karen reports is going to increase your home insurance policy rates.

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2020 8:59 PM

follow next door on twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 7, 2020 9:27 PM

Just follow best of next door:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 7, 2020 9:28 PM

I looked at mine today, some woman was selling her patio table for three dollars, why not just set it on the curb with a free sign.

by Anonymousreply 85September 7, 2020 10:37 PM

Whenever someone new signs up in my neighborhood, NextDoor will send me an email asking if I know if this person lives at the address they gave. The majority are new people moving in and of course I don't know them yet.

by Anonymousreply 86September 7, 2020 10:41 PM

Oh calm your tits, r82. Thanks for your concern.

by Anonymousreply 87September 8, 2020 3:13 AM

More more more

by Anonymousreply 88September 8, 2020 4:40 AM

R85 because she's probably lonely and wants a transaction so There's a forced interaction. Poor soul who decides to pay for that.

by Anonymousreply 89September 8, 2020 12:28 PM

This is a Nazi App. Think it through. It is pure surveillance over neighbors. What the fuck is wrong with all of you? DELETE THIS APP now. Tell your HOA or city to stop this nazi company. No Nazis in America.

by Anonymousreply 90September 12, 2020 5:54 AM

You all need to delete the NextDoor App.

Send a letter to your HOA and/or City and tell them to stop fraternizing with this dangerous company.

Remember History.

Take a good hard look at your life choices and be a better person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 12, 2020 5:58 AM

I live in an area that is fictionally know for high drama, but the drama on Next Door does not disappoint. You have neighbors who try to get others ban from ND for using false names. People literally will argue about whether to call the cops on someone who is filmed actually trying to break into their homes. If you like NextDoor but want to see things really in action also get Citizen, especially is you live in a big city. The incidents are usually captured on video in live time and it can be pretty scary. That one I have on only every do often then offload it.

by Anonymousreply 92September 12, 2020 6:11 AM

R92 citizen app is blowing up tonight because of 10 gunshots about a mile away. It’s an area that usually doesn’t get gunshots either. People seem to think it’s related to the pot dispensary down the street. We shall see!

by Anonymousreply 93September 12, 2020 6:35 AM

r92 is drunk.

by Anonymousreply 94September 12, 2020 6:38 AM

No. Sounds like a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 95September 12, 2020 6:53 AM

I don't advise joining ND out of curiosity. Its a hard one to shake once you have done. I cancelled my account, unsubscribed to all emails, and yet still I got invitations to rea rivage when I moved cities and then countries, and the occasional request to verify that the person who bought my old house lives at that address.

They are persistent.

by Anonymousreply 96September 12, 2020 7:00 AM

*reactivate

by Anonymousreply 97September 12, 2020 7:00 AM

R93, I was going to a job when that happened, and I live a block away. I thought I could make a left turn past the cop cars ( they were blocking the right of the light) but they made me turn around. Found out later through the app that it was a semi automatic that fired 10 rounds, and 4 people arrested- 1 white woman and 3 black guys.

by Anonymousreply 98September 12, 2020 7:04 AM

I'm totally drunk, R94 and I'm going to go run naked in the streets for my neighbors to salivate over my big, juicy cock and then post their good fortune on ND

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2020 7:40 AM

Big, juicy cock?

by Anonymousreply 100September 12, 2020 7:48 AM

It is nonsense. Plus a good way to set yourself up for a robbery. I never look at it. It is a part of "Patch" I believe, and Patch is dreadful. Bellevue WA is my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 101September 12, 2020 8:46 AM

If your city or HOA is working with nextdoor, then you are under surveillance. If you join nextdoor, you give them permission to use that information against you.

Do not join Nextdoor.

Get your HOA and/or City to stop partnering with Nextdoor.

IF you joined nextdoor,, DELETE the app. You may need a lawyer to send a cease and desist order, and keep these documents.

Do not at all associate with this NAZI app. it is a neighborhood surveillance app ( how blatantly nazi can a company be?). They have all your personal information and GPS.

by Anonymousreply 102September 12, 2020 9:37 PM

I lurk on ND in my Seattle neighborhood bc it's comedy gold. Rants about disposing dog poop in non-owner's trash bins. Composting battles. Thousand-response threads on whether or not that noise was a gunshot or firework. Teena The Methhead Who Frequents the QFC Parking Lot and whatever you do, don't give her cheese because even the homeless deserve healthy bowel movements. Oh, and sightings of the neighborhood coyotes followed directly by "has anyone seen my cat?"

by Anonymousreply 103September 12, 2020 10:23 PM

ND is comedy gold, R103. Mine contained a post from someone walking his dog who noticed a disturbed, shirtless homeless guy he'd seen roaming the neighborhood before. He tried to get away from him but the homeless guy ran up to him, lectured him about "getting in his space," and kicked the shit out of his dog, badly injuring him. The guy described the man's shorts but nothing that indicated his race. He said he did not call the cops. Immediately a bunch of Karens jumped down his throat and said if he did call the cops, they would probably kill the attacker for being black, and accused the guy of being racist because he just didn't want to share the street with a black person and that was the [italic]real[/italic] problem, etc.

The guy never said anything about what race the attacker was. Not even a hint. And all the neighborhood Karens just assumed that any violent homeless guy must be black, and climbed all over each other to see who could moan the loudest about social justice violations. Oh, my achin' sides! The thread was about 80 posts long, last I looked, and had become a compassion arms race, with everyone chastising everyone else for not caring enough about the poor persecuted "black" attacker who would be lucky to survive a moment if authorities were called.

by Anonymousreply 104September 12, 2020 10:38 PM

r103, that's the funniest thing I've seen around these parts in a while. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 105September 12, 2020 11:44 PM

Hi neighbor @ R98. Have you heard of any more updates regarding the gunshots?

by Anonymousreply 106September 13, 2020 1:35 AM

There's a guy in my neighborhood who shoots dogs that wander into his yard. He shot another one a few weeks ago. Incredibly, he owns a business in the area and doesn't seem to mind the reputational hit his dog murder causes. I learned about it on Next Door. My neighborhood "diverse" in that it's mostly black. Other than the dog murder guy, who is white, there's not the kind of crazy you see in white areas.

by Anonymousreply 107September 13, 2020 1:40 AM

Who's the deranged person who keeps saying ND is a Nazi app? The hell?

by Anonymousreply 108September 13, 2020 1:35 PM

r106, apparently it was an argument from some patrons of RtA (I've seen a lot of rapper type guys shop there), one guy pulled a gun on the other and started shooting, then jumped into a BMW and clipped 2 parked cars while he got away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 13, 2020 2:03 PM

I want to lurk and not sign up. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2020 12:21 PM

I'm currently dealing with a Karen who wrote "I politely disagree that this [PPE at a dentist's office] is needed for a virus [COVID] less deadly than the seasonal flu."

Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 111October 15, 2020 12:46 AM

In my neighborhood, it's 24/7 missing cats and birds and the occasional stolen bicycle or flowers: people dig up other people's flowers.

My favorite reply to the "Have you seen Pinky the parakeet?" post was "He was delicious."

by Anonymousreply 112October 15, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote] They are persistent.

"They" is simply a computer program that auto-mails addresses in its system.

by Anonymousreply 113October 15, 2020 1:16 AM

Thanks for explaining how the world works, R113.

Without you, we'd be nothing.

by Anonymousreply 114October 15, 2020 8:59 AM

I've been on it for a few months now.

While it's on occasion helpful, more often than not it's a lot of old Trumpers and MAGAs. One old man keeps expecting someone to help him with learning to operate the latest thing he bought, and he gets evil angry when no one has time for him.

But the most amusing yet sad thing I see is when the olds will post the same post over and over.....it's always I need a contractor, or a landscaper, or whatever.....and you think at first, did they forget they posted it before and got answers? Then you realize, what they're really looking for is a contracter named Bill or Jason, instead of Jose or Hakeem.

Yep, it's all the things you thought it is and more.

by Anonymousreply 115February 22, 2021 1:34 AM

[quote] Oh, and sightings of the neighborhood coyotes followed directly by "has anyone seen my cat?"

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 116February 22, 2021 1:35 AM

How do they verify your address?

I'd like to sign up for this, but not for my town. There's only 300 boring people in our town. Could I sign up and use another address so I get a better group?

by Anonymousreply 117February 22, 2021 2:29 AM

Mine is usually the classic combo of foxes and missing small pets. There’s a daily snapshot of a red eyed, bleary hungover looking fox captured on Ring app slinking into the shrubs. Also there’s weirdos posting “hi, I’m Aaron” or “Hi, I’m Rosie” with no other explanation. One of my favorites was some guy during the height of “Me Too” posting that he was willing to walk the neighborhood ladies around at night, especially if they were young POC. It was like an episode of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”, how blatantly opportunistic he was.

by Anonymousreply 118February 22, 2021 3:11 AM

R118 I get a lot of those weird introduction posts in my town. Is this a thing because someone said to do this during Covid? I didn’t see those posts until Covid hit.

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2021 10:36 PM

Ha! I thouight the OP mean Nexdoor Studios! I was curious to see if we had any pron performers on here! Are there?

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2021 10:44 PM

I was the founding member of the Nextdoor door group for my subdivision, and I was the lead for 3 years. it just got so fucking weird I couldn't take it anymore.

The rules for moderating are confusing as hell, and the admins provide very little useful assistance. The admins are also never available in an emergency. It usually takes them two or three days to reply to an email.

My two most bizarre stores are both about LGBT shit. For a while, there was a tranny who was a lead of an adjoining neighborhood. She was very strict, and she would turn you in to admins if you did not vote the way she thought you should on reported posts to have them deleted. She started sending me these crazy messages about how I was voting on things, and threatening me. So when I got an email from Nextdoor admins I knew it was because she reported me. I then forwarded her crazy emails back to Nextdoor door admins, and I never heard from crazy tranny again.

The last story is kind of a sad one. A younger gay guy in his twenties started a gay interest group on next door. This is completely legitimate and within the rules. People started flagging the group and his posts, claiming they were prostitution posts, that the gay group was a secret gay dating organization, and other bullshit.

I wrote the admins immediately and told them they needed to put an end to these false reports and accompanying voting by neighborhood leads because it was all homophobia and bullshit. I also went to the national leads forum, and talked about it there. I couldn't get anybody from Nextdoor to respond to my messages for nearly two weeks, by which time the automated voting system had deleted the young man's account and his group. I had the guy's personal email, and we wrote a bit, and he said he did not want to be back on Nextdoor.

I wrote next door a nasty email and posted another nasty message in the leads forum, and that was the end of my relationship with Nextdoor.

by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2021 10:54 PM

You people are very addicted to social media in any form, it's like crack.

by Anonymousreply 122March 1, 2021 11:13 PM

I love the site. I let my hood know about a family of 12 degenerates who moved into a small one-bedroom house next door. Some family members could be seen sleeping in their van at night. One summer morning I witnessed the side door open and someone’s bare leg dropped out while the rest of their body slept. The “males” would often take a piss in the backyard. Obviously, one toilet isn’t adequate for 12 individuals. Nothing like the sight of grandpa Jones whipping it out and taking a piss n the middle of his backyard while I see it all from my kitchen window. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 123March 1, 2021 11:28 PM

Mine's gone to hell. Cat posts used to be constant but not overwhelming to those of us who are neither cat owners or fanciers. Now it's 90% of what's there.

A couple of years ago I posted photos of an empty and unsold gas station in town being used as a dumping ground for rubbish and a place to shoot up (in the bathrooms without locks on the doors with paraphernalia all over the place) in an effort to get people to annoy City Hall enough to do something about it. My post had photos and listed ways to contact the city department responsible. It got six responses. The city made some noise in response to me, claims it's the owner's responsibility, and has done nothing since. A cop did come by and ask me not to go back there because: "You might get injured if you step on a needle or some broken glass." The point of the post was that nobody would get hurt if they cleaned it up.

The same day someone posted a notice that Rudi, their cat, was back home after being missing overnight. They got 66 responses along the lines of "I'm so happy for you now that Rudi's home safe." When a post about a cat who was home unharmed drew eleven times as many responses as mine, I realized Nextdoor had outlived any usefulness it might have once had. Now, as above, it's hot and cold running cat photos - not missing or ill or with an owner in need of some advice, just cat photos 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2021 12:05 AM

Nextdoor West Village is a great source for neighborhood goings-on and people helping each other find businesses, i..e. "Where can I find a store selling cheap window shades?"

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2021 12:18 AM

I was on Nextdoor for a hot minute. Most of the post were about lost or found dogs. One guy posted about how nice it was that people were trying to find the owners of lost dogs. He went on to say his dog go out a few times, he lived next to a very busy street. I told him what would be nice is to figure out how his dog got out and to fix the problem. Naturally he got upset with my comment. I quit shortly after that.

by Anonymousreply 126March 2, 2021 12:28 AM

One of my favorites was about Harry, a missing parakeet. Loads of sympathetic responses and one that simply said: "He was delicious."

by Anonymousreply 127March 2, 2021 12:33 AM

LOL R126.

by Anonymousreply 128March 2, 2021 12:37 AM

"Pinky" not "Harry"

by Anonymousreply 129March 2, 2021 12:43 AM

I found a stray cat. I took a picture, posted to NextDoor, asking if anyone was missing a cat, I saw them outside this specific address. I even hinted that this cat may be a simple outdoor cat, but I saw no collar. Just wanted confirmation, in the event that just maybe someone was missing this cat.

I got blind sided by the local dyke in charge, telling me not to post these types of things, that not all cats are stray and that I was the third person in a week to post this same thing (this was a total lie). I wrote back that we shouldn't be discouraging people trying to help others find their pets, that she could have just scrolled on by. That apparently set her off even further. I turned off notifications for that thread.

Thankfully I don't use my full real name on that site, or disclose my address. She'd probably dump used cat litter on my doorstep in revenge.

by Anonymousreply 130March 2, 2021 12:49 AM

Yes, and I troll the hell outta them

I'm the Thai Lady Boy seen in the park & in the woods with all kinds of strangers. I'll describe this character as a teen of Asian or Hispanic descent. Ya know, like an old Mrs.Kravitz who isn't privy to grindr meth hook ups

Something like "Oriental teen girl riding swings w/adult caucasian Male in 50s at park after sunset"

"Asian girl with knapsack seen putting bicycle in trunk of older man's car and driving off"

I just keep dreaming them up. It's always a young Asian female with older men of other races. In the woods, in the park, behind stores...arguing outside of convenience stores

Everyone is on the lookout, all paranoid...suspicious & calling the cops on anyone with dark hair & high cheekbones

Lolz

by Anonymousreply 131March 2, 2021 1:05 AM

R130 or salt some guy's lawn while on a meth bender? Loser

by Anonymousreply 132March 2, 2021 1:07 AM

I guess it depends on where you live. The nextdoor where I live isn’t so bad, but any sort of forum like that will be a reminder that there is such a spectrum of IQs out there.

In my area there’s a lot of concern about coyotes and so every time one is spotted there’s a new thread. I’m thinking about taking a photo of a squirrel and posting my “sighting.”

by Anonymousreply 133March 2, 2021 1:09 AM

You just can't beat Thai Lady Boy meth tweaker on grindr out in the suburbs. It's apparent to anyone under 60 what the deal is. But not some old biddy.

Young asian or Hispanic female. Haha! The dumb cops are even on the lookout. There's actually an alert down at the precinct. I kid you not

PLAYED

by Anonymousreply 134March 2, 2021 1:16 AM

You mention METH a lot NuckofNorth. It’s a little weird.

by Anonymousreply 135March 4, 2021 10:47 PM

OMG lots of drama on our ND these days.

by Anonymousreply 136June 14, 2021 9:39 PM

Another neighborhood where 90% is lost dogs and cats. All these people crying and wringing their hands. “Mr Kitty would normally be back by now! Where is he?”

What in the fuck are these people doing turning their pets loose when coyotes have been sighted all over the place? Last year, one neighbor had to scare a coyote away from carrying somebody’s little lap dog away. The dog had to go to the vet and have a bunch of stitches. He must have been terrified. If the neighbor hadn’t been right on hand, he’d be dead.

Now some idiot is posting periodically about “it’s been 100 days since I’ve seen my cat, Hermione (or whatever) and I haven’t given up hope. Still crying all the time.” She’s the one that let the cat roam in the first place. That cat has long since been pooped out by a coyote. People have even told these people, keep the cat in the house and you won’t be crying about your lost cat. They don’t listen.

The latest was a transplant from Florida, saying, “in my old neighborhood in Florida, you drive by and the neighbors wave. You people post pictures of solicitors on your Ring camera and want to call the police because you don’t know who it is. I don’t want to live like that.”

To be fair, according to Nextdoor, every time I walk out the gate, someone is either going to steal my car, be homeless and insane, or be a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 137June 14, 2021 10:05 PM

I live in a city centre so I don't get busy body or political type of stuff but I do get the occasional bit of good gossip. The most recent one is that apparently there's a man who keeps getting drunk and screaming/shouting horrible things in the streets at night. They apparently can't get him evicted because he owns his flat and a poster replied 'sorry but how does someone like him own his flat?' The other person replied that he'd told them that a politician had sexually abused him and paid him off.

by Anonymousreply 138June 14, 2021 10:41 PM

R138, this isn’t in San Francisco, is it?

by Anonymousreply 139June 14, 2021 11:24 PM

R139, no, it's in the UK, we have politicians who abuse kids here too, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 140June 14, 2021 11:28 PM

One of our frequent posters is an older woman who claims to be an artist and an art history scholar. When a recent discussion about the "Forever Marilyn" statue happened on ND and people talked about how vulgar and tacky it was, she insisted it was fine art.

There's also a nellie prisspot on the board who is a winged monkey for Art History Expert Lady's Regina George. I so badly want to ask Nellie Prisspot Mary "Did you get your profile photo at Glamour Shots?" and "Does Mitzi Gaynor know you stole her hairstyle?"

by Anonymousreply 141June 15, 2021 12:53 AM

r1, I got kicked out of Nextdoor for not using my real name. You probably picked something generic like John Smith. But you're basically living on borrowed time. Someone will disagree with you about something, and they'll find out who you really are and report you.

by Anonymousreply 142June 15, 2021 2:54 AM

How did they find out R142?

by Anonymousreply 143June 15, 2021 3:42 AM

I unfortunately chose a very obviously-fake name, r143.

by Anonymousreply 144June 15, 2021 3:46 AM

I’m not but my mother is & she’s becoming addicted! She spends a couple hours a day reading it. There’s lots of fakery on there; someone posted that one of her friend’s nephews (a dr) died from getting a 2nd covid shot. but the link was missing/empty when you tried to click it. The same headline got posted at least a couple more times. I’m very leery of the site.

by Anonymousreply 145June 15, 2021 4:06 AM

Nextdoor is definitely Gladys Kravitz esqye and very old, even older than FB.

by Anonymousreply 146June 15, 2021 1:41 PM

Our Nextdoor is the same posts all the time, over and over.

I need a dentist/doctor, any suggestions?

I need a gardener/landscaper/painter/handyman who is professional and articulate (read: any white people who speak English)

More requests for veterinarian care than you could imagine.

Where is my dog/cat?

Someone lost their dog/cat

I found a dog/cat

My neighbor is speaking/breathing/existing and I don't like it

Endless hey you kids get off my lawn posts

Political posts - endless Trumper BS and complaints about BLM, Antifa, wokeness and the like.

by Anonymousreply 147June 20, 2021 8:19 PM

Nextdoor got really nasty here around during Trump's squatting term and the election with political fights that the mods had to end. Then during the BLM protests, which was essentially just some teens getting together here and marching in an intersection very peacefully, some hysterical Trumpers were claiming that riots and looting were going to happen and everyone get their guns ready. They were promptly put in their place by the parents of said teens and threatened with removal for spreading lies. All those types formed their own chat site off of Nextdoor called something, something patriots. Probably full of Qanon shit.

We did have one woman who was posting crazy stuff about people spying on her and how she was hearing screams outside her house at night and why, oh why don't the police pay attention to her reports. She mentioned a disabled husband and small kids. She then escalated to claiming that listening devices were in her AC vents and cameras hidden in the ceiling. There was a discussion of some concerned people about her and I think she was eventually reported for a welfare call. She was bonkers crazy or on drugs enough to worry some of us.

by Anonymousreply 148June 20, 2021 8:37 PM

Over Memorial Day, someone posted a joke pic of Bigfoot relaxing on a raft in a pool, complete with sunglasses & a beer. He looked more like Chewbacca though. My mother saw the pic, thought it was real, & sent it to me with a warning: This was spotted in the lake where you walk. People take NextDoor too seriously. I swear half the crime posts are made up.

by Anonymousreply 149June 20, 2021 10:35 PM

Nextdoor is a good way to find the neighborhood Karens. You wouldn't believe how many "strange truck went past house" or "Black/Hispanic man walking down street" posts there are.

by Anonymousreply 150June 20, 2021 10:41 PM

I think we all have a little bit of Karen in all of us. I live in a gentrifying neighborhood, but one or two blocks over, it can be rough and I heard gun shots last night and seriously thought about calling the police, but I didn't. I checked on Nextdoor and it was the big topic of discussion today. Someone was already on it and is talking to the police about upping the patrols in the area.

by Anonymousreply 151June 20, 2021 10:53 PM

There's been an interminable ND thread about how to say goodbye to a sick old kitty (if the vet will let them be with kitty, will they come to the house and do it, etc.)

It's getting so melodramatic that if it were DL, I'd pull a Mrs. Patsy Ramsey and suggest going to the river with a bag and some rocks. I know it's really sad, but these people have been playing this particular violin for a week.

by Anonymousreply 152June 20, 2021 11:05 PM

My neighborhood and my parents' neighborhood nearby have both had local e-mail groups for many years, long before Next Door, and they function well for the professional referrals and lost pet and produce sharing activities that can be a helpful part of living in a neighborhood. They are moderated and civility is required on pain of banishment, which is seldom necessary. When Next Door started, some people warned that members' personal info would be shared with administrators and not kept just among the neighbors -- that's the reason I didn't join, but a lot of people did. Now, activity in our local groups has shrunk because so many people use Next Door instead, which means that the local groups are less useful than before. But I'm still not interested in sharing my full name and address (plus who knows what else!) with the corporation that runs Next Door. According to this thread, sounds like I'm not missing much.

by Anonymousreply 153June 21, 2021 12:07 AM

It's been really hot in CA the past few days and a woman requested that everyone turn off their AC's because she got a migraine from the whole neighborhood "buzzing like a nuclear power plant" at all hours of the day.

by Anonymousreply 154June 21, 2021 4:20 PM

R148, what city is that? I have a neighbor who says that.

by Anonymousreply 155June 22, 2021 1:38 AM

Houston area R155

by Anonymousreply 156June 22, 2021 4:00 PM

I saw this gem on my Nextdoor today:

"Re: English Tutor

Hi. I'm doing PhD in English. If interested you can contact me...x thank you."

by Anonymousreply 157September 13, 2021 8:16 AM

Everyone on Nextdoor is named Karen. Gotta pass.

by Anonymousreply 158September 13, 2021 8:18 AM

Also saw a dodgy-looking raffle for someone's flat that included them giving you cash along with it if you won the raffle. They didn't provide the name of the apartment building nor a picture of the exterior so I am wondering just what is wrong with the flat that they can't sell it normally.

by Anonymousreply 159September 13, 2021 8:19 AM

I'm a moderator and I delete many of your posts.

by Anonymousreply 160September 13, 2021 8:19 AM

I don't post on Nextdoor. I only like to gawp.

by Anonymousreply 161September 13, 2021 8:22 AM

I had a funny incident on Next Door that was a direct result of being a pointless bitchery style commentator in general on the interwebs.

So in this (SF) post, someone was griping about Robin Williams (who once lived in SF and later moved to Marin). The person was pissed off that in Golden Gate park, what had been known as 'Sharon Meadow' had be renamed for RW. Complainer was especially annoyed that the 'rainbow tunnel' on 101 on the Marin side had ALSO been named for RW!

Well, I never! I wondered, who even IS this complaining bitch, anyway? I look at the poster's name and it is SHARON Regularlastname! Suddenly it all makes sense and my pointless bitchery takes over.

I replied, "This would be a lot funnier if your name was SHARON RAINBOW!"

Oh my GAWD, Sharon PLOTZED! Hasty, huffy reply telling me how RUDE I am, and Is This Any Way to Treat Your Neighbors? Etc! A couple other Gladys K types tried to pile on. SHARON came back two days later to holler MIC DROP!

I got a private message from someone who thought it was all funny as hell and thanking me for taking the piss out of the pointless complainers.

I do use ND to get things I need, and get rid of stuff I don't need on occasion. In that regard, people have been nice and much less flakey than craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 162September 13, 2021 9:32 AM

Subscribe, if you dare, only using a dummy email account because you will never be rid of NextDoor. They will find you wherever you go.

I foolishly signed up to get rid of some moving boxes and other things, which worked well and lightning fast I might add. It was all the things already mentioned, the mundane, the paranoid, the lost and found, but the curious thing was that there was a constant stream of women posters who wanted help. Could someone come over and help them assemble an Ikea bookcase? Would someone have an extra, never used queen size bed of a particular manufacture and firmness that they would like to donate to someone with a sore back? Could someone clean an old lady's rain gutters, oh and cut her lawn, and trim her hedges, and fix the back steps? Could someone drive a woman to work and back for...forever, because she doesn't want to buy a car just now? Could someone rewire a young woman's house to code, for free, because she wants to quit her job and foster furbabies?

Not having my finger on the pulse of the straight freeloading female mindset, I could never tell if these were whorey come-ons or just stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 163September 13, 2021 12:11 PM

I was on it for like one minute, then realized it was thousands of silly posts like, 'OMG! I think I just saw a Black Man!!!" and I had to quit it

by Anonymousreply 164September 13, 2021 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!