Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Laura Branigan’s Career Go Down The Shitter?

Branigan's songs were big radio hits from 1982-1984. Then her 1985 album “Hold Me” bombed.

Why did radio stop playing her music?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 23, 2020 8:50 AM

cocaine

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2020 9:41 PM

Gloria:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2020 9:41 PM

Solitaire:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 9:43 PM

She died.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 9:46 PM

I like this one too: laura branigan - spirit of love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 9:46 PM

How Am I Supposed to Live Without You:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2020 9:47 PM

“Hold Me” was a good album but had one of the worst album covers of all time.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2020 9:47 PM

The Sweet Hello, The Sad Goodbye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2020 9:49 PM

Self control number one! Solitaire a distant second

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2020 9:50 PM

I think it was called "cancer"

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2020 9:50 PM

A talent, but, also a nasty piece of work. Branigan once referred to San Francisco as the "AIDS District".

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2020 9:51 PM

Please tell me that is untrue r11.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2020 9:53 PM

Brain aneurism.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2020 9:57 PM

She had really stong pipes and a great vibrato and she could peg a note -- but she had a limited range. And she tended to shout.

And that hair.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2020 9:57 PM

I wish she'd done an entire album with Stock Aitken Waterman. I remember that the Popbitch newsletter posted an item a year or two before Laura died. Apparently some gay nightclub had hired her to perform, and on the bottom of advertising posters and flyers they put:

"Notice! This is the REAL Laura Branigan, not a drag queen impersonator!"

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2020 9:58 PM

She lacked a unique image.

She was by no means ugly or anything, but she wasn't super gorgeous, she didn't have a distinct fashion style, and she came along in the early MTV era when looks and image started to REALLY matter.

She tried to make it on her voice alone, and it worked...for a few years. But it wasn't enough to generate any real excitement over her in the public's mind. Nobody was holding their breath, waiting for the next Laura Branigan album.

If she'd gone all slutty like her contemporary Sheena Easton, she might have hung in there for a few additional years.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2020 9:58 PM

Self Control:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2020 10:03 PM

She had no stage presence and couldn’t dance and both of those things were incredibly important in the visual 80’s.

Just look at her stiff performance of “I Found Someone.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2020 10:07 PM

Frau tears alert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2020 10:08 PM

In 1985, female artists had to compete with Madonna for radio airtime. That meant flashing skin and ultra sexualized lyrics.

I suspect Laura refused to play the game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2020 10:08 PM

M*A*D*O*N*N*A came along and blew everyone else off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2020 10:15 PM

Excellent Mobituaries episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2020 10:19 PM

Her Self Control video was very controversial at the time, and MTV initially refused to show it because they thought it was too risque. She had to edit parts out before they would air it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2020 10:21 PM

R12, sorry, but it's true, Branigan stated that to "People" magazine, AIDS scared the shit out of everyone. Branigan promptly disassociated herself from her gay fans when her career took off, Bette Midler tried this, as well, circa 1980's.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2020 10:27 PM

That is not true of Bette Midler, at all. Don't tell lies. Why are old gay white men so bitter about everything? Midler was always an ally and an advocate for gay men. Especially in the terrible 1980s. What she tried to discuss was her part in promoting casual sex and promiscuity before AIDS. She had a lot of it herself. Midler lost over 50 close friends to AIDS and she has never hesitated to speak and sing for the cause. You're plain lying R24.

It reeks of Aramis and poppers in the front rows.....Bette had a sense of humor you know? She always cared for her friends and fans. What nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2020 10:36 PM

How do you know the person who wrote that is a bitter, old, white guy? I would have thought you are.

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]Bette had a sense of humor you know? She always cared for her friends and fans.

Yeah, she cared. Except when she changed around musician arrangements during recording session when the musician wasn't present.

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote]Bette Midler tried this, as well, circa 1980's.

Bette did it by making Disney movies.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]Bette did it by making Disney movies.

And singing schmaltzy, frau ballads.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2020 10:54 PM

[quote] Branigan once referred to San Francisco as the "AIDS District".

F/F.

I have no idea why certain posters keep spreading these disgusting rumors.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2020 10:55 PM

The infamous 1982 SNL performance of "Gloria":

Laura Branigan had a big hit with “Gloria” in 1982, and was booked on the show in December of that year. Unfortunately, it seems she was under the weather that weekend because her voice was shot. She resorts to speak-singing for much of the song, but at one point her voice gives out and squeaks a high note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2020 10:58 PM

Direct quote from the 1983 "People" article:

"When Gloria became the favorite in gay discos last year, Branigan toured relentlessly on what promoters—a fraternity not known for its tact—refer to as the “AIDS circuit,” predominantly homosexual dance halls from New York’s Fire Island to San Francisco."

So, it was the promoters who referred to the gay club performing scene as the "AIDS circuit". Not Laura Branigan.

We live in an era where it's VERY easy to verify and clarify this type of thing. It's really a shame that people don't take advantage of the tools at their disposal and make sure they're being accurate before spreading something negative and nasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2020 10:58 PM

r18 I had no idea "I Found Someone" was originally sung by Laura Branigan and not Cher, or that it was written by Michael Bolton.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2020 10:59 PM

R26, Gay men don't like having their delusions about their "divas" snatched away.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 10:59 PM

^Ancient white fag. Hating on Bette Midler for no reason. So he's properly been called out. Don't lay your troubles on mine lady.

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2020 11:02 PM

Does that make country music the COVID Circuit now?

by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2020 11:07 PM

Power of Love is from her 1987 album Touch

by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2020 11:09 PM

R35 =Trans sex worker of color, hates gay men, but, wants to be part of the tribe.

She hasn't been murdered yet, but, one lives in hope.

by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2020 11:10 PM

Laura Branigan seems to have made a career of releasing a song, then being bested by another performer singing the same song.

It started with "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You", which she took to #12. Michael Bolton, who co-wrote it, later recorded it himself and it went to #1.

Then she released "I Found Someone" as a single, and it petered out at a pathetic #90. A year later, Cher sang it and it went to #10.

Her final hit was "The Power of Love", which she took to #26 (having already flopped in prior versions by Jennifer Rush and Air Supply)...only to have Celine Dion come along and steal her thunder 6 years later, by having a #1 hit with it.

Poor Laura!

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2020 11:13 PM

Maybe the record company chose the wrong songs to release as singles.

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2020 11:14 PM

That People Magazine article shaved 5 years off Laura's age.

According to Wikipedia, she was born in 1952, not 1957.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2020 11:15 PM

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2020 11:15 PM

"a lot of people went screaming for the hills, and fuck em I say!" Bette Midler did everything for gay men and the AIDS cause. For DECADES. It was personal to her. She never deserted her fans.

R38 just spread the virus around. All of his bitterness stems from his advanced age and HIV status. (He is also the same poster known as miss warwicke) A grotesque human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2020 11:16 PM

R39 - I honestly prefer Branigan’s versions of all three songs.

by Anonymousreply 44August 25, 2020 11:20 PM

I do too r44

by Anonymousreply 45August 25, 2020 11:23 PM

Still showing up. World Pride. Bette Midler. An old woman now, like R38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2020 11:23 PM

How many of you have seen Laura's two starring movie roles. One was an Australian movie where she consented to show one bosom, like Miss Ross in "Mahogany."

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2020 11:42 PM

Umm.... “Dim All the Lights,” anyone?

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2020 11:49 PM

She covered Its Been Hard Enough Getting Over You from Cher’s 1987 album on her 1993 album Over My Heart.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2020 12:04 AM

R46 seems to have gone still, she either passed out or a trick snuffed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2020 12:07 AM

I see that she had eyebrows like Fuad Ramses in BLOOD FEAST. Unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2020 12:07 AM

What a disgusting diseased piece of filth R50 is. He is that ancient racist WHITE man from Missouri, who used to post as miss warwicke. He's banned from this site. Also he is the scat troll. The one who posts elaborate scenarios about how his guest left shit all over the walls.

Right now he's calling me a dead trans woman because I called him out for his Bette Midler lies? The HIV went deep into the brains of lots of men before the Cock - Tale came to save them. miss warwicke is the most racist and misogynist and hateful poster to ever spew her scatty minded bullshit on Datalounge. Shame on you R50. Because you are that grotesque poster. Soon to be dead. The worst of DL is dying. We celebrate your absence.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2020 12:16 AM

R52 is he friends with Shirley Q. Liquor?

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2020 12:18 AM

Race play in a thread about Laura Branigan? Stay weird, Data Lounge.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2020 12:19 AM

“When The Heat Hits The Street” - I really liked this track. It wasn’t released as a single but I remember it being used in a series of car commercials in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2020 12:53 AM

R31 This version actually really works for me. Glad she didn’t cancel.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 1:10 AM

Because she shout-sang every one of her notes, lyrics and songs as if a truck tire had just rolled over her foot?

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 1:17 AM

She was a crackhead and it showed. Pick some better disco memories old timers. Glo ooooh ooorrrr rreeeee aAHH! She was not a good singer at all. Christ. I enjoy the cocaine cry of her voice though. It was a much sadder sound when it came to the great Whitney and Mariah. This Laura person sang in a very constrained pinched vocal style of production. She didn't know how to sing at all - beyond a few notes in her modal voice. How Am I Supposed to Listen to Her Sing that Song so badly?

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 1:30 AM

Whatever R58 . I bet your a fucking hoot at parties. I LOVE Laura and her songs and always will. Deal .

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2020 2:47 AM

We're replacing the Vivaldi Gloria with the Branigan Gloria at our Christmas Eve service this year. We want to attract some of the hip young kids to the church

by Anonymousreply 60August 26, 2020 3:00 AM

Me neither, R30.

by Anonymousreply 61August 26, 2020 3:58 AM

I loved Spanish Eddie. I was surprised it only reached #40 on the Billboard Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 62August 26, 2020 3:59 AM

Wasn't her MO to remake Italian disco/pop hits? Is that what Gloria and Self Control were?

by Anonymousreply 63August 26, 2020 4:02 AM

She did an American remake of a hugely successful Italian song. It wasn't a fluke that it was popular - but it thrust her onto the American stage as this great upcoming star, but anyone could have sung that song and made it a hit.

Secondly, it was hard to transition from early 80's to mid/late 80's - the sounds changed a lot. Early 80's still had some 70's feel/spillover - fucking Juice Newton is a great example.

Anyone who has multiple years of success in a highly competitive music industry IS a success. She did fine - and people still remember her. That's better than 98% of pop artists.

by Anonymousreply 64August 26, 2020 4:03 AM

By the late 80s female pop rock was on the decline and sexy pop R&B was on the upswing where it's been ever since. She was never going to be able to compete.

by Anonymousreply 65August 26, 2020 4:04 AM

Laura Branigan should've gone the adult contemporary route and had an even bigger career in the 90s but a flat-chested Canadian clydesdale had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 66August 26, 2020 4:12 AM

[quote]By the late 80s female pop rock was on the decline

That’s a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 67August 26, 2020 4:13 AM

She tried for a more AC sound after the "Hold Me" album bombed but she couldn't get the songs. It's why he label continued to try to recycle Euro hits ("The Power of Love", "Show Me Heaven") for the US market. She might have done well to flip it and do some US hits for the Euro market, e.g. Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude," which did nothing across the pond.

by Anonymousreply 68August 26, 2020 4:45 AM

Didn't Bonnie Raitt rise like a phoenix in 1989? Bonnie knew how to source a good, relatively obscure song better than Laura.

by Anonymousreply 69August 26, 2020 4:46 AM

Laura should have tried to replace Pattie Darcy in Smokey Joe's Cafe. She could have done "Pearl's A Singer."

by Anonymousreply 70August 26, 2020 5:20 AM

Laura only managed two performances as Janis Joplin in "Love, Janis" Off-Broadway. The pink Power Ranger also only lasted a couple of performances in the same role. I guess both underestimated the toll of singing in Joplin's raucous style.

by Anonymousreply 71August 26, 2020 5:33 AM

I don’t agree with r65 or r66.

by Anonymousreply 72August 26, 2020 11:55 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

by Anonymousreply 73August 26, 2020 12:29 PM

Is anyone else surprised she was 30 when Gloria hit? There's a debate on her Wiki page:

[quote] Branigan's year of birth has been disputed. Although most sources at the time of her death gave her birth year as 1957, it has subsequently been accepted by reliable sources that she was born in 1952.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 26, 2020 3:14 PM

[Quote] Is anyone else surprised she was 30 when Gloria hit?

No. Her weight gain is pretty standard for people in their 30s.

by Anonymousreply 75August 26, 2020 3:19 PM

The way she moves here, I would have thought she was actually older than 52.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 26, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote] She had no stage presence and couldn’t dance

False.

The "Moonlight on Water" choreography is STILL being imitated 30 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2020 4:23 AM

I think it had something to do with her death

by Anonymousreply 78August 29, 2020 4:30 AM

[quote] Maybe it is time for all those who told I was a liar with fabricated pictures and articles to apologize? So many hard words from contributors that I wasn't trustful or reliable in my research. Yes, it was I who contacted AP late summer 2016. They were not interested making chances though their own information and sources were accurate, they told me. But after 65 emails with details from my research they gave up and changed their mind. I told them I wanted to read the correction, but they said no. I couldn't do anything. (I have the emails in my research). So after 3 years of research and struggling I think I can say...I won over AP, Wikipedia, IMDb (they let me do the corrections I wanted, and after that they closed and protected her biography. It is only I who can make changes.) Swedish papers were in contact with me, they wanted to see my research. People in Armonk, Laura's former friends, neighbours, classmates, etc, has sent me congratulations for my work. They said that Laura is back again. Thanks to me! People in Armonk stood by my side and also confirmed my research as true, when AP asked them. They also invited me to be a member if their Facebook group "You know you from Armonk". As a Swede it was their way to show their appreciation to me. If you are interested, you can watch my research. Some chapters are finished and has been ended. Laura Branigan Encyclopedia. She was born 3 July, 1952 in Mt Kisco, NY I think you will enjoy it.

[quote] 2016-10-03 Manhattan's a better read than Mt. Kisco! So you mean Manhattan, New York is correct? People from Armonk said to me... hmmm sure of that? So it is Manhattan? StigP No. NOT Manhattan. It sounds hip & sexy! She didn't want to say Mount Kisco. A teenager telling a lie. ®olle Not born in Manhattan !!!! Period. Paragraph. ®olle Laura was born: City: Mt. Kisco County: Westchester But you already know this. ®olle . Are we agreed about Mt Kisco? StigP . This is her last contact with me. She was very furious when I still asked about NY or Mt. Kisco. This answer ended all.. Enough! You know she was born in Mount Kisco !!!! I wouldn't read too much into her writing Manhattan. However If it's desperately important to you find an expert online. Good luck & good bye. ®olle. I was later told that Laura hated to say Mount Kisco. It was more cool, hip, etc. by saying New York. I decided to trust her, though she knew Laura. And Mt Kisco hasn't been denied from the Branigan's who still are alive. A lady from Armonk has offered to help me in my search for Laura's birth announcements. She is a former librarian at The New York Public Library. She has access to the archives and knows where to look. The paper we are looking after is on microfilm. I can only hope and pray she will find something. That would end all discussions about Laura Branigan. That's all I have, hope you are satisfied. Though I have ended writing in Wikipedia, this was just for me a "one time" jump in. Now it is up to wikipedia to handle it like you want. To be honest, wiki doesn't interest me. I have my own Laura wiki, supported from Los Angeles

[quote] Can we also agree I was right from the very beginning? Like Philip Martin from Arkansas Democrat-Gazette wrote: Stig-Ake Persson of Halmstad, Sweden, and he is the world expert on Laura Branigan. He’s also a remarkable researcher. He can show you Branigan’s hand-written application for a Social Security number, filled out on Sept. 29, 1970, when she was 18—not 13." Justice for Laura Branigan. Swedish fan reveals the truth about Laura Take your time and read and feel ashame how you treated me. Haha loosers! It is ok if wikipedia wants to warn and ban me like wiki once did. I am only making this comment to show you who the Laura expert is. It is not wiki contributors, it is an old man from Sweden! Don't write any personal message to me though I am not interested and I will not even answer anyone. By from Sweden

by Anonymousreply 79August 29, 2020 4:44 AM

I think she had a big coke problem

by Anonymousreply 80August 29, 2020 4:46 AM

was she gay

by Anonymousreply 81August 29, 2020 4:50 AM

r81, she had a husband who died of colon cancer in 1996. Wiki has them married in 1978. He was diagnosed in 1994 and she left the music industry to devote time to him. Was his full time nurse.

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote]“Hold Me” was a good album but had one of the worst album covers of all time.

Most of Laura's album covers were hideous. Atlantic must have HATED her to use this photo for the Self Control cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2020 5:09 AM

For some reason, I always thought she was playing the piano on that cover at r83.

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2020 5:10 AM

Here's Laura's 1981 single. I wish we knew more about her 1970s attempts to make it as a singer.

It seems it was her own representatives that spread the unfair "AIDS Circuit" smears to the press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2020 5:14 AM
by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2020 5:20 AM

It's strange that she had a televised concert special in Europe before she had a hit anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote] Laura Branigan seems to have made a career of releasing a song, then being bested by another performer singing the same song.

In 1990 Laura covers the disco classic "Turn The Beat Around".

Her song is not promoted; a few years later it becomes a smash hit when Gloria Estefan releases her version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2020 5:31 AM

Me too R84!

by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2020 1:06 PM

I don’t mind r83’s cover at all. No cheesy posing or glamor shot photo.

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2020 2:31 PM

I have a friend (female) who claimed Laura and her husband hit on her for a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 91August 29, 2020 2:42 PM

Laura was gorgeous. But she had deep set eyes and an odd bone structure that need to be lit well.

They never gave her the star treatment of other artists, and Laura sounds like she was VERY down to earth and probably didn't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2020 3:08 PM

Back up to Leonard Cohen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2020 3:17 PM

Shattered Glass: November 15 1987 Live Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium, in the presence of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 30, 2020 12:05 AM

Her stage presence makes Whitney Houston's look like Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2020 12:08 AM

I loved "Shattered Glass".

Here's a ranking of her 20 best songs. I don't really disagree with #1. Should have been a hit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2020 3:12 PM

Rolling Stone didn't care for her voice at all.

by Anonymousreply 97September 3, 2020 12:41 AM

R97, who gives a fuck?!

by Anonymousreply 98September 3, 2020 1:22 AM

I do seem to remember Rolling Stone calling her, "Gloria, the musical weightlifter" or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 99September 3, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] Why Did Laura Branigan’s Career Go Down The Shitter?

She was feeling flushed.

by Anonymousreply 100September 3, 2020 4:37 PM

When did Rolling Stone go straight down the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 101September 3, 2020 4:38 PM

Rolling Stone trashed Madonna and Mariah when they first came out as well. They said Madonna couldn't sing and Mariah oversang.

by Anonymousreply 102September 3, 2020 4:43 PM

OK so maybe they weren’t wrong all the time.

by Anonymousreply 103September 3, 2020 4:45 PM

R102 on that point they were dead right.

by Anonymousreply 104September 3, 2020 9:17 PM

I like this French version of Solitaire (1981):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 4, 2020 12:42 AM

Jesus, was her entire catalog covering European artists?

by Anonymousreply 106September 4, 2020 12:46 AM

I loved her voice - mostly because it was unique and didn't sound like the same old stupid whiny female voice over and over.

by Anonymousreply 107September 4, 2020 12:47 AM

I can't post the Pornhub link for some reason, but there is a vintage porn called Jobsite from 1984 that used Self Control (around the 1 hour 10 minute mark). They also used Madonna's Lucky Star and Human League's Don't You Want Me. Did porn just used people's music and hope no one would find out? I can't imagine their labels signing off on it.

by Anonymousreply 108September 4, 2020 12:48 AM

Yet, her voice was actually quite whiny and nasal.

by Anonymousreply 109September 4, 2020 12:49 AM

Are you sure it's not a fan re-edit, r109?

by Anonymousreply 110September 4, 2020 12:49 AM

r108, rather.

by Anonymousreply 111September 4, 2020 12:50 AM

Her voice was powerful and different. I'd rather hear her than Sheena Easton's whiny shit, or Mariah's droning, or some generic 80s/90s vanilla crap like Stacy Q or Alannah Myles or other generic whore face.

by Anonymousreply 112September 4, 2020 12:51 AM

Her pussy stunk.

by Anonymousreply 113September 4, 2020 12:52 AM

[Quote] LET'S NOT mince words, eh? Laura Branigan is a damn lousy excuse for a singing star and Ellen Foley is only a pretty good excuse for a singing star.

What a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 114September 4, 2020 12:57 AM

It's always funny when old gays uplift their invariably female fave by calling one or more of their rivals a whore.

by Anonymousreply 115September 4, 2020 12:58 AM

R107 are you referring to Olivia Newton-John?

by Anonymousreply 116September 4, 2020 12:58 AM

R115 you seem kind of retarded and silly

by Anonymousreply 117September 4, 2020 12:59 AM

R112 - Eat shit. I ❤️ Sheena Easton

by Anonymousreply 118September 4, 2020 12:59 AM

You seem oddly obsessed with this thread, R115. So many posts here - strange old queen.

by Anonymousreply 119September 4, 2020 1:01 AM

I had a Laura Brannigan who recorded music once. And then she DIED.

by Anonymousreply 120September 4, 2020 1:02 AM

She should have had Jim Steinman produce her records. He did wonders for Meatloaf!

by Anonymousreply 121September 4, 2020 1:14 AM

The Donna Murphy stan really tells a lot of tales. They're born in 1963. They're also black and born in 1982. They call DLers here "anicient white fags" and "paedophiles." They're also white and born in 1998. Shirley MacLaine grasped their thigh for a full minute. They fucked Van Jones off the coast of the Atlantic (as well as Cheyenne Jackson). Creative.

by Anonymousreply 122September 4, 2020 1:16 AM

R83 yes, hideous, absolutely fuck’n hideous. AR really did try to stab her in the back every time they released a new album cover. Shame on them, old fuck’n white dudes.

by Anonymousreply 123September 4, 2020 1:20 AM

Few people knew then nor even now that Laura Branigan's "Gloria' was a cover from Umberto Tozzi's original Italian.

Had the 45 of Umberto Tozzi's version for years,(bought one day while shopping in Manhattan's Little Italy when it still had lots of Italian owned shops, but think may have tossed it by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 4, 2020 1:21 AM

[Quote] You seem oddly obsessed with this thread. So many posts here - strange old queen.

You sound bothered.

by Anonymousreply 125September 4, 2020 1:24 AM

Didn't her younger brother die from AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 126September 4, 2020 1:27 AM

There is only one brother, and he was still living as of 2016.....

by Anonymousreply 127September 4, 2020 1:31 AM

R110, I didn't think of that. The movie was came out in 1984 and all three songs were from '83-'84 so I just assumed it was in the original release.

by Anonymousreply 128September 4, 2020 1:35 AM

Raf - Self Control (1983):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 4, 2020 1:46 AM

Only version of a song named "Solitaire" one likes......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 4, 2020 1:58 AM

R130 that was terrible

by Anonymousreply 131September 4, 2020 2:00 AM

Jane Olivor's placement was so odd, almost like she didn't want to be intelligible.

by Anonymousreply 132September 4, 2020 2:01 AM

Know Neil Sedaka wrote the tune, but who told him he could sing it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 4, 2020 2:02 AM

Who are some other famous, gay songwriting duos beyond Sedaka/Greenfield?

by Anonymousreply 134September 4, 2020 2:04 AM

R133 / R130 - we don't care about that song, sweetheart

by Anonymousreply 135September 4, 2020 2:04 AM

Branigan sings Branigan. (Makes a change...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 4, 2020 2:16 AM

I think Branigan brought in enough money for Atlantic to keep her on their roster for as long as they could, but she certainly wasn't a priority of theirs. It's cliche to say a particular song should have been a hit that wasn't, especially since there are so many factors that go into making songs hits, but Laura had really terrific records that were released then let fall through the cracks. "All Night With Me", "Spanish Eddie", "Hold Me", "Moonlight On Water", Shattered Glass"--all superb pop records that would have gone much further with the an interested & dedicated promo campaign behind them. Atlantic consistently released utter hack jobs for her remixes rather than spring for the DJs due jour to tweek quality mixes that sounded good in clubs or played next to other tracks. Her take on "Turn The Beat Around" was decent but sounded awful in their cluttered mixes, and her equally decent take on ""Dim All The Lights" strangely had no mixes.

by Anonymousreply 137September 4, 2020 2:45 AM

Atlantic seemed to think it was still 1968.

by Anonymousreply 138September 4, 2020 2:48 AM

Who were her main producers? Diane Warren seemed to help her out a lot by supplying English lyrics to foreign songs.

by Anonymousreply 139September 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Laura Branigan and Celine Dion both recorded the song Unison in 1990. They came out at the exact same time. I wonder who recorded it first.

by Anonymousreply 140September 4, 2020 3:44 AM

Obviously, r98 gives a fuck. 😂 so bitter is she.

by Anonymousreply 141September 4, 2020 12:54 PM

[quote] I'd rather hear her than Sheena Easton's whiny shit,

Damn straight.

by Anonymousreply 142September 4, 2020 1:13 PM

Cinesnatch is mentally ill. I am not a Donna Murphy stan. I was born in 1983. I dislike Laura Branigan's attempts to sing (nasal and pinched and running up to the more difficult phrases like a drunk girl on Karaoke Friday. All. those. clipped. power. notes. and terrible riffs and runs - all signs of a pure amatuer) Meryl Streep can't sing at all. She thinks she can. She is a buffoon and a disgrace to keep subjecting the public to her gross ego flailing. She is a happy birthday singer. Her singing should be limited to a cake in her own home.

Cinesnatch has some beef with black men who know about music. I am a musician, and a singer. I have won 2 Grammys and Shirley Maclaine did grab my leg. Get it you fucking ancient white racist FAG? Stop trolling me or I'll have your unpopular 70 year old flat white ass blocked forever.

The elder guys LIVE on such bad disco memories. Because they were attractive enough to get some dick then? In the 70s and 80s. That still won't make Laura Branigan a good singer. Glo Oh oor or orr oRH Hee Ye AH! Glorya! I think! I got! Yur Numba!

Cinesnatch, I can start quoting your boring pedantic racist posts too. Back off old man. Y'all more present than welcome.

by Anonymousreply 143September 5, 2020 1:44 AM

I would rather listen to either of them then ever have to suffer through anything Vadge has done at any stage in her career. Imagine what the last 35 years of popular music could have been if she had not been a part of them.

by Anonymousreply 144September 5, 2020 1:48 AM

Laura had unfortunate eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 145September 5, 2020 6:09 PM

So does Brooke Shields

by Anonymousreply 146September 5, 2020 9:47 PM

" " had to start his own thread rather than simply voting in the poll:

"Am I the only one who thinks this is her best song? I know a lot of people who say Gloria and/or Solitaire are better. I couldn’t disagree more. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 12, 2020 3:22 AM

It seemed that she (or her record company) could never figure out whether she was meant to be a Top 40, MTV pop star or an adult contemporary artist. Self Control" was edgy and accompanied by a slick, controversial video. But most of her later singles and videos were pretty lame (like this video for "Shattered Glass" -- did anyone think this would get MTV airplay?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 12, 2020 3:39 AM

It is a pretty bad video. At least it didn't show her in the studio recording the song. Those kinds of videos were the worst.

by Anonymousreply 149September 12, 2020 4:00 AM

She was a very heavy drinker.

by Anonymousreply 150September 12, 2020 4:27 AM

Iirc wasnt she allegedly heavily into coke ? Wich is really what caused her anuerysm ?

by Anonymousreply 151September 13, 2020 6:43 PM

R102 and yet they put Madonna on the cover over 20 times, when then any woman in history

And Mariah got the cover 3 times

And Laura? 0 covers

by Anonymousreply 152September 13, 2020 6:54 PM

Carol Burnett is 87

by Anonymousreply 153September 13, 2020 7:30 PM

An 87 year old with a 13 year old on her hands.

by Anonymousreply 154September 13, 2020 7:33 PM

IMAGINATION. From the Greatest movie of all time that won all the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 155September 13, 2020 7:34 PM

I remember my local radio station playing IMAGINATION from the FLASHDANCE soundtrack all the time--but it never was released as a single, for some reason.

They also played her "Der Kommisar" take off, DEEP IN THE DARK, also not released as a single.

So, for a brief time, she was popular enough to get album tracks on Top 40 radio.

by Anonymousreply 156September 16, 2020 2:46 PM

Was the soundtrack on a label other than Atlantic?

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2020 2:48 PM

Let's not forget that her ex manager said that Gloria would be beyond thrilled Trump plays Gloria at his rallies. That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2020 3:07 PM

Sorry-it was her drummer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2020 3:12 PM

The Flashdance soundtrack was on Casablanca.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2020 3:13 PM

Didn't people mistakenly think "Gloria" was by Donna Summer when the song was first released?

I don't know if Gloria was one of the songs that was originally offered to Donna but she turned it down. She turned down a number of songs in the 80s that went on to be huge hits for other artists, we could have a whole other thread about it. She made some terrible career decisions in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2020 3:20 PM

Turned it down? Wasn't "Gloria" somebody else's hit when Branigan covered it?

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2020 3:28 PM

[Quote] Bette did it by making Disney movies.

There's truth in this. Bette Midler got greedy and ditched the gay cause. How? When Disney was planning a film on Lotte Lenya they wanted to drop her lesbianism. Bette was going to star as Lenya and agreed to go along with Disney's censorship.

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2020 3:47 PM

A greedy Jew? Nonsense, R163.

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2020 4:53 PM

The R159 story linked to this1983 magazine article where she comes out as a proud Reagan voter and Republican.

At least she was friendly and tolerant toward her gay fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 17, 2020 7:24 PM

"Tolerant". Fuck you, Stepnfetchit!

by Anonymousreply 166September 17, 2020 7:25 PM

No, R166, I am just happy she was not a bigot or anti-gay. Someone else tried to smear her with that earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 167September 17, 2020 7:29 PM

"Gloria" was about a fucked-out whore.

by Anonymousreply 168September 17, 2020 7:30 PM

LOL at Laura Branigan diagnosing the Clash as a fad.

by Anonymousreply 169September 17, 2020 7:33 PM

You do realize, R167, that being a proud Republican, especially in the 80's MAKES HER ANTI GAY.

by Anonymousreply 170September 18, 2020 2:14 AM

Fuck Laura Brannigan. Homophobic cunt. I hope she dies...oh...wait...

by Anonymousreply 171September 19, 2020 1:08 AM

Because her career was a huge, stinking, steaming TURD, and the shitter is where huge, stinking, steaming TURDS go.

by Anonymousreply 172September 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Bette Midler never ditched the gays and Laura Brannigan never made anti-gay statements. Some of you really wallow in bitterness and dredge up imaginary bile to if your tap starts to run dry.

Echoing the poster upthread, I really enjoyed the Mobituaries podcast dedicated to her. Mo Rocca does his subjects justice. Laura Branigan spent her last years caring for her husband dying of colon cancer and then moved in with her mother to take care of her when she developed Alzheimer’s. The family never told their mom that Branigan had died, just that she was off touring or recording. Give it a listen.

by Anonymousreply 173September 22, 2020 11:13 PM

R173 is right. It was Donna Summer who made the anti-gay comments.

by Anonymousreply 174September 22, 2020 11:52 PM

Mo Rocca did an episode on Branigan for his Mobituaries podcast if anyone's interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 22, 2020 11:54 PM

r174 Donna always said she never said anything homophobic, and there are no records from the time that she did. What she DIDN'T do was address the rumors as soon as they started, instead she waited a number of years before she even acknowledged them and that was a huge mistake. I have no idea who her management was at the time, but they were the worst management in the world. That's the job of a manager.

by Anonymousreply 176September 23, 2020 12:39 AM

Why does Gloria Gaynor never get shit for saying "Live the sinner, hate the sin, baby"? (I personally saw her say this on a talk show so, no, not a rumor.) People make things up like above or spread the Donna Summer rumor. . .but Gaynor frequently came out with that line when asked about gay fans and her "I am What I Am" remake. But she gets to perform at Pride? GTFO. I've hated that bitch since I was a teen because I knew exactly what she meant by that.

by Anonymousreply 177September 23, 2020 1:02 AM

This has been mentioned before, but allegedly the Donna Summer anti-gay rumors were started by David Geffen. Donna was on Geffen's label at the time and they didn't get along.

She really should've stayed on the Casablanca label and continued to work with Moroder. It was a dumb decision to leave all of that.

by Anonymousreply 178September 23, 2020 1:19 AM

R178, see R174

by Anonymousreply 179September 23, 2020 3:40 AM

R177, take comfort in knowing that Gloria Gaynor has probably spent the last 40 years bitter as hell for not having Donna Summer's career and being a 2 hit wonder, though most people only remember one.

by Anonymousreply 180September 23, 2020 3:44 AM

Donna denied she ever made the comments but when you read the Advocate interview from 1989 she doesn't really deny that she said something either. And she never openly embraced her gay fans. The only time she showed some genuine remorse was when she gave a press conference in 1991 denying the allegations and she was crying (this was when she was suing a magazine for stating what she said was fact). But it's not a stretch to believe she made those comments or something similar because when she had been accused of making them, she was still a relatively new Born Again Christian so she was probably extra intense. And she always towed the line when it came to her gay audience post-1980.

Although Donna still made some good music post-Born Again she just wasn't as interesting as an artist. I agree with r178, she should have continued with Casablanca but apparently she had issues with them too. David Geffen had no idea what to do with her but he shouldn't have separated from Moroder.

by Anonymousreply 181September 23, 2020 3:50 AM

I can't listen to her recording of "How Can I Help You To Say Goodbye?". Maybe the saddest song I have ever heard and she does a magnificent job. You can hear her struggling to get through it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182September 23, 2020 3:51 AM

[Quote] Laura Branigan spent her last years caring for her husband dying of colon cancer and then moved in with her mother to take care of her when she developed Alzheimer’s.

I wonder if money was tight and Mrs. Republican would have liked Affordable Health Care...

by Anonymousreply 183September 23, 2020 8:48 AM

Donna's manager was... her husband. He previous manager was married to her record label head. Donna wasn't very bright.

And she didn't "ease up" on shit. She turned down the opportunity to have her cover of "Love on and on" as the theme to the disco movie "54", that would have been promoted worldwide by Miramax, after she saw a cut of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 184September 23, 2020 8:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!