Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

did you ever do anything (non-sexual) with your college professors outside of school?

i did only once. some professors got together and had a dinner party and a few students were invited. after a few glasses of wine, the professors started to go off on nixon (20 years after he resigned). in the course of that discussion, some muscular student who i assumed was invited as eye candy for the gay professor, went off about our us senator. he had the wrong senator, though, and the gay professor stared daggers through him, said "no", and walked away.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2020 4:58 AM

All the time, I was in the house of almost every professor, and went.out for drinks with most of them. My classes from undergrad were all small seminars so it was the usual thing.

One professor taught me that the secret to hosting a good seminar at the professor's house was to make a couple pitchers if the most excellent Bloody Marys, then any sort of crackers or nuts.

The chair of Art History had a beautiful house and art collection, with tons of things stored away that we could pull through.. In good weather we met in the garden. Sherry and Bugles were his standard fare.

Some night classes adjourned immediately to a bar/restaurant.

I was friends with many professors (and their wives or partners) and invited often to dinner or just to visit. I've taken field trips and shared hotels and spent the night in the homes of professor's parents. At the least, a professor was more or less expected to host his students a couple times in a semester. Professor friends would take me along to the homes of other professors. It was the ordinary thing.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2020 12:57 PM

Saw my history professor after hours in a very compromising position. With his head between a chicks legs on a scavenger hunt for her clit in the back of the taxi he drove part-time 😲

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2020 1:05 PM

I find R1’s experience fascinating. My experience was on the other extreme. For me professors were the authority figures and when I was 18-21 I had absolutely no desire to spend any time with any of them outside the classroom, however interesting they may have been as teachers. If I had gone to college when I was older I probably would have felt differently.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2020 1:41 PM

Yes, one professor had our class over for dinner. It was nice, everyone went around the dinner table and told stories. There was plenty of wine involved and it was very nice. I did not detect any sexual undertones

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2020 11:31 PM

I went to a small liberal arts college -My average class size over four years was eight (esoteric major). I socialized with most of my professors -dinners at their homes, parties, etc. I used to bring a bottle of wine to my calculus professor's office hours and hang out with her.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2020 11:39 PM

Depends on which school. In my undergrad years there really wasn't much interacting in my world but I did babysit for one of the professors - her kids, that is. LOL. Law school was different. Lots of interaction and became very good friends with a number of them and later colleagues with others.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2020 11:53 PM

My experience with class size was similar to R5's. I fewer than a handful of classes that had 15-20 people, the rest were seminars with 4 to 8 students.

To R3's point, professors were a mix of authority figures, I suppose, but also professors in their 20s still, so the age of some of my fellow students - and most of the younger professors worked hard to be a bit iconoclastic and the older set tended to be department heads or others who had distinguished themselves and kept abreast of things; even if they appeared outwardly tweedy and posh, they knew not to be sticks in the mud.

Entertaining students and socializing with them was expected and seen as part of a tradition, though less formal maybe than the older professors' own experience. Maybe there was some more trepidation in going to the home of a department head for the first time, but they were old hands at putting people to ease. At-home classes and entertainments were always more informal than a classroom seminar, even if it might be held in the professor's office.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2020 12:09 AM

It’d be interesting to hear perspectives of those in academia now

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 3:46 AM

I fucked one of my professors so he would give me a good grade.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 3:52 AM

I hear may of these stories but never saw one in personal experience

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 10:42 PM

One of my art professors painted me as a model

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 2:14 PM

I threw a party for my retiring professor with my cohort group at a lovely restaurant in NYC. She was well beyond retirement age, though we were never sure exactly how old she was. When she was a young woman in the 1930s her family had sent her from German to the United States to learn business and get a degree. She had also worked as a nanny at the time and fell in love caring for children and teaching them and secretly enrolled in Education classes.

He parents found out and deemed her a failure and demanded that she drop everything and return home immediately. Then Kristallnacht happened and because she was already here in the US some of her immediate family were able to immigrate here, but the bulk of them perished in the Holocaust. But in a simple twist of fate she had saved her brother and parents.

She was my thesis advisor and the only reason I finally got my degree was because she was moving and I needed to actually finish the damn thing. I was at her apartment doing final revisions as the moving men were emptying out the place. She then relocate to Seattle with her husband because her younger brother lived there and being the only member of her family left she wanted to be near him. I had a friend who lived there and on a visit I was then the first person to see her in her new home, having been the last one in her former home.

I lost touch with her, but heard that unfortunately while walking across the street her husband had a massive heart attack and died in her arms as traffic honked around them. She was a lovely lady, very stoic and German, but also with a twinkle in her eye and a very loving and kind nature. We had given her the Dr. Seuss book Oh, the Places You’ll Go as a retirement gift.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 2:49 PM

My senior year of college, I elbowed my way into a course that was supposed to be only for Fine Art majors. I really wanted to be in there and the professor relented. Needless to say, he hated me. He got his revenge eventually (a different story).

At the end of the semester, he hosted a lunch for his students at his lovely home. Unfortunately, two of my classmates and I got super fucking drunk beforehand (honestly, I didn't mean to have more than a cocktail or two to loosen up) and while getting drunk, we wrote a roast of the professor and all of our classmates. Guess who was talked into presenting the roast BEFORE lunch?

Oy. I can't even cringe it was too cringey. Oh, and my friends were snapping photos so I have proof that that incredibly embarrassing afternoon actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 3:01 PM

R1.

We would prefer stories from this century.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 3:24 PM

Undergrad, no. Grad school, my advisor/professor had me house-sit and paid me to watch her dog while on vacation and invited me out to lunch with her partner at some point near that time. This was very unusual because she didn’t do this with any other students at the time, but she liked my personality a lot and we got along well. Other profs would sometimes invite advisees over to their house as a group or out to lunch once a year or so as a group, but it was rare. Never any alcohol involved. Our profs were a very private bunch overall and didn’t like to blur boundaries; they erred on the side of caution.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 3:40 PM

Former Texas professor here...students and profs did lots of activities together, but it was usually the younger professors, because the older ones were mostly bitter and jaded and didn't want anything to do with students outside of class. Once a semester, I'd have class at my home for each of the sections I taught. We'd do the class part at the pool, then everyone stayed for most of the rest of the day and evening swimming, playing tennis, bbqing and just hanging out. No alcohol, since most were under-age. Students often invited me to parties also, which I usually at least made an appearance at. Fun times...not sure if stuff like that is done anymore...probably a liability nightmare for the schools, ie if someone drowned or something.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 4:07 PM

I don't remember any of my profs being hot, so no. The ONLY reason I would have hung out with a prof outside of class would be to trade sex for an A.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 4:13 PM

I was heavily involved in student government so I skipped over the professions to hang with the "evil administration" at their homes. I especially loved the President's university provided mansion. It was a beautifully renovated victorian that reminded me of Terra from it's facade. His parties were even better when I became Student Body President, attended events for the Board of Trustees. Awesome food, from a college student's perspective. I also got to rub shoulders with some wonderful local leaders and executives from cables conglomerates, and oil & gas industries associated with my school. Got a job offer to move to DC and work for a construction company at one such party.

The Dean of Students hosted the more normal gatherings with more faculty sprinkled about his equally gorgeous home. He still had the food catered, but no servers outside of a bartender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 6:09 PM

I am so so sorry for my typos. I should have proof read my comments before posting. I am embarrassed. Also, I meant the home reminded me of Twelve Oaks not so much that drab shack, Tara.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 6:10 PM

My freshman Latin teacher invited me to coffee in a note she wrote on my final exam (we took the exam a week before the final class). That semester fulfilled my language requirement, so I didn't feel the need to respond to her. She gave me an A+ for the class, anyway. That was the closest I ever came to engaging a professor outside of class.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 6:16 PM

That’s a very provocative move

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2020 5:45 PM

I had a one on one tutorial with a hot Irish prof. He invited his tutees to dinner at his home. Since there were only 3 of us, it was kind of awkward. He said he spent half his income on books, which was believable as they covered every inch of the interior. His wife insulted him the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2020 5:59 PM

R11, nude? You know we want to see.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2020 6:02 PM

Yes is great Honer when architect professor asks for BBJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2020 6:15 PM

r23, no I wasn’t nude. But he did have me cross my arms, and he definitely made sure my biceps were accentuated, and the t shirt I had on a little tighter than it was in real life

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2020 6:13 AM

Wow very interesting. I wonder what dynamics are like now in the remote environment

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2020 2:55 AM

Any professor having students over to their home individually is an idiot. I have tenure, but I could be fired even so if it were discovered I had had sex with a student. So could just about any professor at most schools.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2020 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!