Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Otis from Mayberry

Would a modern family sitcom get away with a character like Otis, the town drin The Andy Griffith Show? Staggering in drunk and letting himself in and out of the cell.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 4:43 PM

Drin = drunk. I hate typing on this phone.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 9:56 PM

We named a dog after him in the '60s.

Dog answered to "Big Otis."

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 9:57 PM

The Andy Griffith show is actually satire, most people fail to grasp that at the time the show, and AG, were poking fun at the idea of "Mayberry" not setting it up as an ideal.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 10:17 PM

The funny drunk as a supporting player was a stock character in movies and TV into the 1970s - not so much anymore.

"Bewitched" frequently used a drunk witnessing Samantha's witchcraft to get a laugh.

Foster Brooks made a career of playing the funny drunk, but he was more known for his performances in the "Dean Martin Roasts" than as a part of an ensemble cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 10:28 PM

No, not PC.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 10:31 PM

I thought Floyd the Barber was the offensive character.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 10:34 PM

I thought they both were pretty innocuous. Like most of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 10:37 PM

Aunt Bea's friend Clara Edwards was part of a group that had an unknowing girl impregnated with the devil's baby

Aunt Bea and Clara were so close - you know Aunt Bea had to know about that shit

There were secrets in Mayberry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 11:14 PM

Who's walking down the streets of May-berry waving at everybody she sees? Who's looking round for Andy and Opie? Everyone knows it's Aunt Bee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 11:16 PM

Tonight's episodes:

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 26 • ANDY ON TRIAL • COMEDY / SITCOM

A vengeful newspaper publisher (Roy Roberts) sends a reporter (Ruta Lee) to dig up dirt on Andy, after Andy tracks him down for a traffic violation. Miss Fenwick: Sally Mansfield. Milton: Robert Brubaker. Commissioner: Byron Morrow. Opie: Ronny Howard...

*and*

SEASON 2 • EPISODE 28 • COUSIN VIRGIL • COMEDY / SITCOM

Barney's inept cousin, Virgil (Michael J. Pollard), pays a visit and destroys everything he touches, until Andy discovers his true gift. Barney: Don Knotts. Aunt Bee: Frances Bavier. Otis: Hal Smith. Driver: Rance Howard...

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote]until Andy discovers his true gift

Go on...

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 11:28 PM

Foster Brooks turned down the role of Carleton the Doorman on Rhoda. It's hard to believe they'd offer it and he'd decline a steady paycheck.

Carleton may have been the last drunk character played for laughs on a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 11:30 PM

My sister and I watch TAGS all the time, and every time Otis shows up I see AG Barr.

(With nary a speck of Otis's sweetness)

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 11:31 PM

Otis is my spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 11:36 PM

WHET...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 12:07 AM

r10 Rance Howard was Ron's daddy.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 12:46 AM

People used to find characters drinking and being falling down drunk funny, they don't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2020 12:47 AM

There also were a lot of pill-poppers in comedy. I remember Joe Flynn in some Disney (I think) movie. He played an uptight business exec but when the stress got too much for him, he'd empty a bottle of pills (downers) into his mouth then wash them down with a pitcher of water.

Kinda funny now that I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2020 2:47 PM

Back in the day, syndicated shows in rerun seemed to require a new title when the show was still in production. The title of this thread reminded me that the Andy Griffith show was thus renamed “Andy of Mayberry.”

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 4:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!