Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dark and dramatic reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" in the works

A dramatic reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is in the works based on a viral trailer.

The four-minute video, created by director and super-fan Morgan Cooper, reimagined the hit comedy as a serious drama telling the story of a working-class Philadelphia teen adapting to life with his richer family in Los Angeles. It racked up over 7.5m views between two YouTube posts, and caught the attention of the show’s original star Will Smith, who is now developing a series with Cooper. Are we ready for the big Generation X animation comeback? Read more

“Morgan did a ridiculous trailer for Bel-Air,” Smith originally commented. “Brilliant idea – the dramatic version of The Fresh Prince for the next generation.”

The project, known as Bel-Air, has reportedly been in development for over a year with Smith and original producers Benny Medina and Quincy Jones on board. Cooper will co-write, act as executive producer and direct, while Chris Collins, whose credits include The Wire and Sons of Anarchy, will act as showrunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 10:29 AM

It should rebooted for Janet Hubert. Aunt Viv becomes a private investigator specializing in exposing adultery.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 7:35 PM

Because this idea worked out SO well for The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 7:36 PM

Say what!?

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 7:37 PM

You've been asking Hollywood to come up with new ideas and they have. They're not just rebooting a show now, they're flipping the genre for a whole new prospective. Think of the possibilities!

When Amanda makes two blind dates for the same night, she asks Alison to pretend to be her! Next week on Melrose Place!

Arnold and Willis find out Pearl has ties to the Ku Klux Klan. The Diff'rent Strokes episode EVERYONE will be talking about.

Sexual misconduct accusations against Eastland's gym teacher leaves headmistress Blair in a pickle, especially since the gym teacher is her Cousin Geri. A Facts of Life ripped from the headlines.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 7:50 PM

I was talking about The Bradys, R3, not The Brady Bunch Movie!

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 7:50 PM

It had better be called Trans-Prince(ss) of Bel-Air or there will be hell to pay!

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 7:51 PM

Finally, gainful employment in series television! I was getting tired of doing reality TV and waiting for Ricky Schroder to get out of prison so [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] can come back, and I’ll be damned if I let that cookie woman do any more damage than she already has.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 8:09 PM

I guess the success of the "Chilling" SABRINA reboot has led to this.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 8:09 PM

What’s next, a [italic]Small Wonder[/italic] reboot in which the father finally comes out of the closet and stops subjecting us to the ludicrous lie that he is in anyway a heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 8:12 PM

r9: Plus V.I.C.K.I. will become woke and will start aggressively demanding transrobot rights.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 8:15 PM

R10: One of that show’s producers also wrote for [italic]Maude[/italic], if you can believe that. A lot of 1980s sitcoms felt like children’s theatre versions of their 1970s predecessors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 8:32 PM

The trailer that spawned the reboot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 8:43 PM

I hope to make it really woke they cast Jazz Jennings as Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2020 12:03 AM

I remember liking the trailer, but I don't know if people are over most reboots being dark.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2020 9:44 AM

R10 made me LOL for some reason.

This seems pretty dumb to me, but someone might like it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2020 10:28 AM

The best part of the original was the theme song. I still say “Yo, homes, smell ya laterrrr!”

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2020 10:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!