Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Viola Davis Buys the Former Plantation Where She Was Born for Her 55th Birthday.

Viola Davis has bought the house she was born in and the surrounding land, and she has announced this news on her 55th birthday. If you don’t know, Viola was born on a former plantation in South Carolina.

“The above is the house where I was born August 11, 1965. It is the birthplace of my story. Today on my 55th year of life….I own it….all of it,” Viola posted on Tuesday (August 11) to mark her birthday.

She added a quote to her tweet, which read “May you live long enough to know why you were born” which is a Cherokee Birth Blessing.

Viola spoke about the home back in 2016, telling EW, “I wasn’t on it long, because I was the fifth child, and so we moved soon after I was born. I mean, I went back to visit briefly but still not aware of the history. I think I read one slave narrative of someone who was on that plantation which was horrific. 160 acres of land, and my grandfather was a sharecropper. Most of my uncles and cousins, they’re farmers. That’s the choice that they had. My grandmother’s house was a one room shack. I have a picture of it on my phone because I think it’s a beautiful picture.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 8:16 PM

It looks like a shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 7:10 PM

True that ^

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 7:12 PM

Love her. Some people would bitch about it- try to burn it down, cry about it representing their oppression or lie about it. She owns it, literally.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 7:20 PM

So it's just that rundown shack, on a bunch of land?

I was expecting Twelve Oaks. Or at least Tara.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 7:21 PM

Happy Birthday, Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 7:22 PM

EXHUME THOSE BODIES!!!!?

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 7:29 PM

Did she use the "Cherokee Birth Blessing" because her ancestors were slaves owned by the Cherokees?

(Just curious about the Cherokee connection, is all.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 7:42 PM

I love her. I love what she did. Her ancestors were shareholders on that land for generations. Now she owns it -- she has righted the metaphysical wrong and her ancestors can no longer be exploited and degraded.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 7:45 PM

I would like to see more things like this. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 7:50 PM

Congrats, Viola. Just don't hold a wedding in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 7:55 PM

*sharecroppers

Even the Datalounge decency filter is offended.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 8:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!