Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"One in a Million You" - Larry Graham

"And sent to me a stroke of love called you..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 12:53 PM

WTF????? I never heard of t his shit. Is he a one hit wonder?

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 3:31 AM

I can sing this song karaoke except for when he holds the notes at the end.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 3:31 AM

Is this a thing?It looks like soe 70's drek.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 3:37 AM

You guys must be very young or very white.

Larry Graham is a pop/R&B/session legend; he created the "slapping" bass technique, and lent both voice and bass to Sly and the Family Stone and his own group, Graham Central Station.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 5:04 AM

It was all over pop/R&B radio in the summer of 1980.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 6:17 AM

It is a good karaoke song. Singer's voice is nice and low (no crazy high notes).

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 6:39 AM

Dionne had a nice go at this as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 7:16 AM

There's a lot of great ballads that came out in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 8:45 AM

Cool Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 1:02 AM

He’s Drake’s uncle.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 1:12 AM

I would do him and Drake

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 1:15 AM

I loved this song when I was a kid!

"A one in a million -- chance of a lifetime, And liiiiife showed compassion And sent to me a stroke of love called 'You' A one in a million you"

For younger gays, in addition to this song, Graham was famous as a member of Sly and the Family Stone, and as the founder of the group Graham Central Station. He's also the uncle of rapper Drake (Aubrey Drake Graham)!

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 1:27 AM

Thank you r4. This is the song Larry Graham is most famous for as far as bass playing. You all probably don't even know this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 1:43 AM

That song "One in a Million" was sort of a fluke hit for Larry Graham because he was more known for harder edged funk with his band Graham Central Station.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 2:01 AM

r4 classic R&B and funk particularly, haven't survived the corporate, auto-tune onslaught. This generation views them as samples, if at all--and it's not just white people.

I watch a lot of reaction videos, and seeing 22yo black twins only know Stevie Wonder as a celebrity name shocked me (they talk on it at the video start.) I could see them only knowing his biggest hits, but I assumed they'd at least have heard them growing up from their family, even if they rejected the genre later on.

I really feel like we're losing culture to corporate technology & it's never coming back. In the past, I've chalked it up to a nihilistic attitude stemming from deteriorating health, but I'm starting to think I'm right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2020 6:37 AM

R15: these are the same twins who are in the news because they "discovered" In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins. Truly makes you feel old.......

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 1:46 PM

Reaction videos are a thing now. Everybody and their sad cousin. Dreck.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 2:04 PM

r17 I'd be the first to tell people to get the fuck off my culture lawn, but there are some good reactors out there--believe it or not. There's a sub-genre of musicians/artists who do really good reactions. They get roasted for it by other performers (like Tom MacDonald), but some are good.

I have to admit I enjoy the rap/comedy reactors like Shaq & Art of Kickz as a guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 12:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!