Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump says he is considering the 'Great Battlefield' at Gettysburg for his convention speech

WASHINGTON — President Trump tweeted on Monday that he is choosing between two locations, Gettysburg, Pa., and the White House, for his speech accepting the Republican nomination, scheduled for the night of Aug. 27.

“We have narrowed the Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech, to be delivered on the final night of the Convention (Thursday), to two locations - The Great Battlefield of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and the White House, Washington, D.C,” Trump wrote, adding, “We will announce the decision soon!”

Gettysburg was the site of one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, which resulted in over 50,000 Union and Confederate troop casualties in 1863. It was a crucial turning point in the war, as Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s efforts to invade the North were halted. Months later, the battle inspired one of the most famous political speeches in American history, when President Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address and praised those who died in support of efforts to keep the country united despite Southern attempts to secede.

Trump previously suggested in an interview on Aug. 5 that he might deliver the speech from the White House. Plans for the Republican National Convention have repeatedly been scaled back due to the coronavirus pandemic. Trump’s idea of using the White House prompted criticism — including from some Republican senators — that it would be a violation of the Hatch Act, a 1939 law that limits partisan activity by federal employees. The president has insisted it would be “legal” for him to deliver a convention speech from the White House complex. Since Trump took office, ethics officials have found multiple members of his administration to be in violation of the act, but there have been few legal consequences.

The Republican convention, which will be capped by Trump’s speech formally accepting the party’s presidential nomination, was originally scheduled for Charlotte, N.C. Trump moved it to Jacksonville, Fla., after North Carolina’s Democratic governor said the event would need to be scaled down due to the pandemic. Late last month, Trump announced that the plans for events in Florida would be scrapped due to surging coronavirus cases there.

This will be the first election since 1944 in which neither of the major party candidates speaks from the site of the party’s convention. Democrats announced in late June that their convention, planned for Milwaukee, would be largely virtual. On Aug. 5, the Democratic National Convention Committee announced that former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, would make his acceptance speech from his home state of Delaware.

Gettysburg is a highly symbolic choice, particularly amid the renewed debate over racial issues that has gripped the country in recent months. Black Lives Matter protesters who have called for police reform have also sought to topple Confederate monuments in multiple cities. Trump has actively opposed the removal of Confederate monuments and specifically sought to prevent the removal of statues of Lee, who led the Southern military forces during the Civil War.

At her briefing on Monday afternoon, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany was asked what message the president aimed to send with the potential Gettysburg site. She declined to answer apart from suggesting that Trump hopes to highlight efforts he’s made to unify the country amid “unprecedented challenges.”

“I won’t get ahead of the president as to what his convention speech will look like, but the president has done a lot to bring this country together,” McEnany said, adding, “He has a strong record of achievement that he’ll be touting on that day.”

Trump discussed the site of his speech during a news conference on Monday evening. The president said he has visited Gettysburg “numerous times.”

“It’s the history. It’s incredible actually. To me, it was a very important place —it is a very important place for our country,” Trump said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2020 1:18 PM

Why? Was Buchenwald already booked?

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 12:51 AM

I guess they’ll have to change the brochures to say that the 1863 slaughter was only the second worst tragedy to take place at that location.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 1:00 AM

Good Lord. This should've been planned months ago. Quit pulling stuff out of your ass, moron.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 1:03 AM

This rotten piece of sauerkraut thinks he has what connection to the Civil War?

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 1:06 AM

How has he not been assassinated yet?

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 1:08 AM

I wonder how the Confederate flag-waving contingent of his cult feel about this.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 1:10 AM

Does anyone think he knows what state Gettysburg is located in?

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 1:13 AM

What a ridiculous try-hard this orangutan is.

'Maybe I'll be associated with greatness if I ride on the coat tails of patriotic places ....'

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 1:20 AM

Maybe they can do a live re-enactment and go for 100 percent realism.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 1:22 AM

It’d be more consistent if he wore a clown outfit.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 1:24 AM

"Gettysburg, where the great John Paul Getty invented and manufactured spagetty. Many people have said that his spagetty was the best in history."

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 1:29 AM

Y E S ! ! !

This is the best thing !!

It's like a Lincoln Project ad come to life: the contrast between whatever drivel Trump spews out and Lincoln's famous speech will be stark and unmistakable to all but the dumbest deplorable.

It will only underline how unfit for office he is and what a disgrace to the nation.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 1:30 AM

If we're really lucky, he will say something positive about the Confederate soldiers who died there too, a "good people on both sides" type thing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 1:31 AM

Perfect - a draft dodger giving a speech at a battlefield site.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 1:39 AM

Civil war dogwhistle

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 1:43 AM

Very symbolic.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2020 1:45 AM

Trump is so dumb that he thinks Gettysburg is where Estelle was born.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2020 1:45 AM

Besides Obama, the President whom Trump wants most to supersede is Lincoln.

Somebody (Miller? Hannity?) told Trump that this would be his big chance to deliver a "better" "Gettysburg Address."

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2020 2:19 AM

R17, he probably thought he'd be giving his speech at the Getty Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2020 2:26 AM

God watching him try to read the actual Gettysburg Address would be sad enough. Trying to deliver his own "improved" version ... damn.

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 2:28 AM

Trump's Gettysburg Address should be marked "Return to Sender".

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2020 2:47 AM

Because he's waging a civil war largely driven by race.

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2020 2:53 AM

Just drop dead already.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2020 2:57 AM

I'm surprised Trump isn't going to what would have been the site of the DNC, Milwaukee, to give his speech.

It's Wisconsin, where he's in trouble, and doing that, given it's where the Dems were to be for their convention, strikes me as the kind of stunt he'd like to pull.

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2020 3:02 AM

But defiling Gettysburg is so much more disgusting, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2020 3:03 AM

True, r24.

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2020 3:04 AM

It's like saying, what the Founders created, what Lincoln celebrated, I'm here to destroy.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2020 3:05 AM

I'm going to Gettysburg, because this is where the Confederates surrendered when they all died from the flu in 1917

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2020 3:08 AM

He's trashing the country

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2020 3:09 AM

If there is any way that Gov. Wolf of Pennsylvania can prevent this from happening, I hope he does so.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2020 3:12 AM

He's going to Gettysburg so he can be surrounded by Civil War monuments. If you've ever been there, you know that there are over 1000 monuments, both Union and Confederate, on the battelfield. It's a dog whistle to say "I won't let those nasty anarchists tear down these beautiful monuments!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2020 3:15 AM

Somebody get the TikTok KPop kids to trolling his Gettysburg address. My soul needs to see this Trump meltdown again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2020 3:17 AM

inciting civil strife

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2020 3:18 AM

We need some Union Civil War re-enactors to come charging in and arrest him for treason the second he starts speaking.

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2020 3:25 AM

He really believes he shits chocolate ice cream

by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2020 3:45 AM

WTF!

by Anonymousreply 36August 11, 2020 5:42 AM

Oh God, please please please - let this stupid, evil man try to give a speech at Gettysburg.

If the ghosts don't rise up and crush him, the hubris will.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2020 5:49 AM

This idiot thinks he’s Lincoln. I bet he is going to say something like, “there’s a new Civil War in this country , and MAGA are the real Americans trying to save the country, and the press/Radical Left are trying to destroy us.” Never mind that the Deplorables really have nothing in common with Lincoln and The Union and more in common with the Confederacy.

He will use extremely divisive, incendiary language. This is the start, dark phase of his campaign. Buckle up.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2020 6:03 AM

R38, darker than "American carnage?" Which, by the way, perfectly describes his entire administration.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2020 6:15 AM

Indeed it did, R39, and we have to always remember how stupid he is and how he is always projecting projecting projecting. He's compulsive about it.

So he gave us his vision of American Carnage and that's what he's given us for four years, carnage.

All his talk about rigged, stolen elections - that's what he's doing. He's trying to steal it again. He always tells us exactly the crimes and treason he is committing by his accusations against others.

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2020 6:46 AM

He's just blowing more shit out of his ass.

Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2020 7:02 AM

I’m glad he clarified the White House in Washington, D. C. Otherwise, I would have gone to a different White House.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2020 8:22 AM

“Four score and seven years ago...”. I scored more than that in seven years. I’m way into double digits. - DJT

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2020 8:43 AM

Where the Northern usury banking satanists massacred the innocent debt free southerners?

Sadly, Trump is the (we hope unwilling) servant of those same usury banking satanists.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2020 9:14 AM

Okay, we'll call the Antifa Face Painting/Flag Burning Guys so there can be some entertainment for the kids.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2020 9:18 AM

How about on the deck of the Titanic?

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2020 9:23 AM

truly a demented, sick individual. Such mental illness. Whether it's Gettysburg or the WH, he is dishonoring either location. What I hate the most is that up to 40% of the fucking country will support him regardless.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2020 9:25 AM

Gettysburg is US federal land. As such, under the 1st amendment, a protest, or support group(ugh) can request a permit to assemble there at the same time Trump utters his ugly remarks.

If those permits are denied because of the Covid-19 safety prohibitions, or for any reason, Trump's permit should be denied, too.

And if Trump isn't denied, but protesters and supporters (ugh) are denied, the ACLU should file suit.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2020 12:46 PM

Thank you Erna for your contribution.

Your ability to eat shit is surpassed only by your ability to spew shit.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2020 12:51 PM

The desperation is comical at this point. Everything his niece says is more and more evident with every passing day. A completely damaged and neglected little boy who turned into the most malignant narcissist the USA has ever seen. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2020 1:03 PM

Accept the nomination? Was there anyone even running against him?

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2020 1:12 PM

does he think this will help him with the black vote??!...

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2020 1:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!