Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

100 black leaders and celebrities attempt to hold Biden "hostage"

More than 100 prominent Black American men called on Monday for Joe Biden to pick a Black woman as his running mate, as the former vice president closes in on his decision.

Entertainment mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs, radio personality and “The Breakfast Club” co-host Lenard “Charlamagne Tha God” McKelvey, former NFL defensive end Michael Bennett, civil rights lawyer Benjamin Crump and many others signed the open letter to Biden.

“As someone who has said throughout the campaign that VP Joe Biden needs to choose a Black woman VP, the urgency for that pick has gone from something that SHOULD happen to something that HAS to happen,” the letter said.

The letter denounced the treatment of some of Biden’s potential picks, including Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., over her perceived ambition and her debate attacks on Biden’s civil rights record when she was a rival candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.

“It disgusts us that Black women are not just being vetted in this VP process but unfairly criticized and scrutinized,” the letter said. “Was Joe Biden ever labeled ‘too ambitious’ because he ran for president three times? ... Why does Senator Kamala Harris have to show remorse for questioning Biden's previous stance on integrated busing during a Democratic primary debate?”

Among the names on the letter are entertainer Nick Cannon, Bishop William J. Barber and CNN political contributor Van Jones. No nationally prominent Black political figures were listed as signers.

The letter isn’t the first time Combs and Charlamagne Tha God have talked about Biden’s campaign. Biden made headlines in May when, during an interview on Charlamagne’s radio show, Biden said Black Americans who support President Trump “ain’t Black.”

In an interview with supermodel Naomi Campbell in April, Combs said Biden must show how he will improve the lives of Black and brown people if he wants the “Black vote,” Black Enterprise reported.

Harris is said to be a leading contender for Biden’s nod, along with former Obama administration national security adviser Susan Rice. Others under consideration are Rep. Karen Bass of California, Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Rep. Val Demings of Florida, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, USA Today reported. Harris, Rice, Bass and Demings are Black.

Whitmer traveled to Delaware last weekend to meet with Biden, a possible indication that she’s on the shortlist, the Associated Press reported on Friday.

Biden has vowed to pick a woman as his vice president. But Monday’s letter said that is not enough.

“Failing to select a Black woman in 2020 means you will lose the election,” it said. “We don’t want to choose between the lesser of two evils, and we don’t want to vote the devil we know versus the devil we don’t because we are tired of voting for devils — period.”

In April, hundreds of Black women signed an open letter asking Biden to choose a Black woman as his vice president.

“We the undersigned Black women leaders from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, from both the public and the private sectors, who have all, time and time again supported the Democratic party nationally and across the country — are writing to recommend and encourage you to recognize and seize this moment in our country’s history, and its bold future, by selecting a Black woman to serve as your vice presidential running mate,” the letter said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2020 9:06 PM

This was organized by foreign trolls on social media. I watched it happens as legit people signed on.

This was a fake movement that’s sole purpose is to block Warren.

The rethugs don’t want Warren because they know they will lose.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 10:31 PM

Great way to pick a VP.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 10:32 PM

Seriously, R1?

That's fucking bullshit.

Now I want Warren even MORE!

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 10:33 PM

[quote]Now I want Warren even MORE!

You tramp.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 10:35 PM

It wasn't enough to give us Trump a first term, identity politics is working overtime to give us another one.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 10:35 PM

This is no way to pick a Vice-President.

I hope that he doesn't cave to pressure and threats.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 10:37 PM

I hate deplorable propaganda threads!

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 10:37 PM

You're an idiot, R7.

R1 actually saw them signing on to the petition.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 10:39 PM

Where is the "Hostage" part?

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 10:40 PM

The Black vote is a big factor in the primaries. It's much less of one in the generals. Biden knows this.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 10:43 PM

There is a lot of fake stuff going on that is originating from these real looking Facebook pages.

They went live in Chicago yesterday promoting a shooting but they said it was a younger guy and changed all the facts of the shootings. M They next thing you know they were originating a massive riot. It was all planned. The page(s) we’re pumping out info that was all fake.

This is getting out of hand. Social Media needs to shit these pages down.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote] Where is the "Hostage" part?

Read the article, R9.

It's not even a veiled threat.. It's a blatant threat:

[quote] “As someone who has said throughout the campaign that VP Joe Biden needs to choose a Black woman VP, the urgency for that pick has gone from something that SHOULD happen to something that HAS to happen,” the letter said.

[quote] “Failing to select a Black woman in 2020 means you will lose the election,” it said. “We don’t want to choose between the lesser of two evils, and we don’t want to vote the devil we know versus the devil we don’t because we are tired of voting for devils — period.”

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 10:47 PM

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said despite social media reports that the person shot was a juvenile, the suspect wounded was actually a 20-year-old man.

"This was not an unarmed juvenile as unfortunately is being propagated on social media," she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 10:48 PM

I thought that Warren was the person polling highest among Black voters? I was fine with most of the women on his list, but I really don't know that I would want anyone endorsed by Nick Cannon.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 10:48 PM

Much ado about nothing. Warren's not even on the short list any more.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote] I thought that Warren was the person polling highest among Black voters?

She is.

But that's not the narrative that the media and black activists want people to know about.

They want these few signatures to suggest that ALL black people want a black female VP nominee, and that's just not true.

Once again, the media is trying to set the Democratic candidate up for failure.

Warren or Whitmer are Biden's best picks, but that story isn't exciting enough for the media. It doesn't attract viewers.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 10:53 PM

But he has the blaack vote already. He needs to use his VP to appeal to another voter base.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 10:53 PM

This is an organized hit against Liz Warren.

The rethugs don’t want her to dig into the banks and expose the worldwide Ponzi scheme.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 10:56 PM

OP = Ann Coulter

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 10:56 PM

Charlamagne “I endorse Mike Bloomberg” tha God is a damn clown

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 10:58 PM

Biden could select a dead cat for VP and I would still vote for him over Trump

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 11:00 PM

R19 = SHAKA ZULU

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 11:01 PM

Why are rappers, radio show hosts and NFL players always referred to as “black leaders”? How would you like Katy Perry having a say in your political future?

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote] Why are rappers, radio show hosts and NFL players always referred to as “black leaders”?

Exactly.

They're nothing but ignorant fools, who think that money actually buys them intelligence.

It doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 11:48 PM

Deplorables are coming out for this thread! Deplorables gotta deplore!

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote] I thought that Warren was the person polling highest among Black voters?

Doesn’t matter. Her polling is poor with other demos.

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2020 12:08 AM

What leverage do they have, exactly? Black people as a demographic vote Democrat 80-90%. Unless they plan on voting third party or, God forbid, following homophobic fascist Bevelyn Beatty in voting for Trump, then their words are meaningless. If Biden wins, then he will pretty much do nothing for them. If he loses, then they aren't getting anything from Trump either. So unless they plan to back up their threat, they really ought to shut up.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2020 12:14 AM

I’m not happy until we have a bi-racial disabled transgendered little person with fibromyalgia as Biden’s VP pick.

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2020 12:21 AM

Liz isn’t even in it anymore. She has a speaking slot on the day Hillary and the go speak. She needs to keep her senate seat. Republican governor.

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2020 12:45 AM

These thread starters are just trying to divide us. Biden wants either Kamala or Rice. He isn’t going to be pressured to pick one of them.

He wanted Amy k. and none of you bitches lost your sit about her being knocked out.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2020 12:47 AM

> Biden could select a dead cat for VP and I would still vote for him over Trump

How about a living black cat?

Pussy? Check.

Black? Check.

I can haz v0tez!

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote] He wanted Amy k. and none of you bitches lost your sit about her being knocked out.

Some did.

by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2020 2:33 PM

I guess their threat worked.

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2020 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!