Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Nominations That Meryl Didn't Deserve

I think her work for the past twenty years has been a tad overrated. Her most undeserved nomination was Music of the Heart.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2020 3:52 AM

All. of. them.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 7:32 PM

Mucus of the Fart

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 7:33 PM

Florence Foster Jenkins

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 8:01 PM

My noms for her : Kramer Vs Kramer, Sophia’s Choice, the Dingo ate my baby, silkwokd, ironweeds , postcards from the edge (i’d give her the oscar for that), bridges of madison county, devil wears prada, & doubt. On fence with julia child movie - i liked her but it was a bad film. So 10 bominations. The other 11 i wouldn’t. She’d win for: sophia & postcards Off topic but i’d award Kathy Bates three oscars: misery, dolores claiborne & primary colors.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 8:04 PM

Oh, honey. How much time you got?

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 8:05 PM

Julie and Julia.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 8:06 PM

R5 i’d give glenn two: Garp & dangerous liaisons

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 8:06 PM

R7 Yes. Dangerous Liasions for sure. And I loved Garp, too, and her performance in it, though it's a challenging movie.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 8:08 PM

I wouldn't have nominated her for Ironweed, The Bridges of Madison County, One True Thing, Music of the Heart, Julie & Julia or The Post, even though I don't think any of those performances are bad. There were just choices I liked more those years.

I definitely wouldn't have nominated her for The Iron Lady, August: Osage County, Into the Woods or Florence Foster Jenkins under any circumstance.

Doubt is a big question mark for me. I really liked Meryl's performance when I first saw it, but I wonder if it would play differently now, especially after a decade of work that I mostly disliked.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 8:17 PM

G put the bottle down.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 8:53 PM

She was ok in One True Thing but Renee Zellweger should have been nominated instead.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 9:14 PM

R11 = Renee.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 9:16 PM

She definitely didn’t deserve the one for Into the Woods

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 12:20 AM

They made a joke one year that by law, Meryl had to be nominated.

No one laughed because it was a little too close to the reality

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2020 12:21 AM

(oops they = The Oscars)

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2020 12:21 AM

She [bold]won[/bold] for “The Iron Lady.” I mean, that is just ghastly. The movie is impossible to watch because you can just see the gears turn in Meryl’s head. It’s not art.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2020 12:24 AM

She did nothing special in The Post, so I list that one as the least deserving nomination.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2020 12:25 AM

I remember when people tried to make the case for Meryl’s genius in The Post, and it came down to the scene where she listens during a phone call, plus she also wears a caftan.

She’s fine, but that role offered her next to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2020 12:38 AM

R16 i love the word ghastly. I’m glad DL is using it again.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2020 1:06 AM

I see G has been very busy on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 11:55 AM

This should piss a few of you off: What about those films Meryl actually did deserve nominations for but didn't get them? I loved her in The Hours. I also preferred her to Diane Keaton in Marvin's Room, (as did the Golden Globes).

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2020 5:59 PM

R21 she deserved nominations for both of those.

The only nomination I disagree with is Music I'd The Fart. She was good in it but the film is too long. Would have made a decent TV movie.

I think she should have win for Kramer, Sophie's Choice, The Bridges of Madison County, Adaptation and possible Doubt.

She was excellent in Into The Woods but since they ruined it by not killing of Rapunzel the Witch lost her big emotional scene.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2020 6:25 PM

All, she sucks and is majorly over-rated. She's a dumpy ho too.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2020 6:46 PM

What did Dino DiLaurentiis say to her about her looks that was so offensive? She auditioned for the lead in KING KONG which eventually went to Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2020 7:01 PM

She didn't audition for it, she just got a meeting with Dino based on her fledgling rep in the theatre. He said to his son "why did you bring me this ugly thing?". He may also have called her a pig.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2020 7:31 PM

If I recall, Streep said Dino uttered this in Italian, and she understood it since she speaks it fluently.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2020 7:36 PM

Harsh.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2020 1:21 AM

Here you go....(You're welcome).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2020 3:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!