Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Guardian Angels

Anyone ever see them around NYC? I remember them in the late 80s on the subways at night and they were a deterrent to the many wannabe thugs. I liked seeing them around. Apparently they are back and growing in numbers to help stem the lawlessness of NYC these days. I hope they can make an impact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2020 11:18 AM

As a life long New Yorker I have to admit I always felt safer when I saw them around on the subways. I know they were controversial but still.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 3:30 PM

Will they be making people put on their masks?

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 3:47 PM

They are no nonsense thugzilla repellent. They don't care about politics and what the Mayor is thinking, they care about keeping the streets safe for people and won't back down. Heroes to me.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 3:59 PM

They're no more than thugs themselves. And Curtis Sliwa is a huge asshole. He's a slimy Repug as well.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 4:29 PM

They haven’t come “back,” OP.

They never left.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 4:57 PM

I was walking down the stairs to the subway one day back in the mid 80s and all of a sudden a group of GAs came racing up the stairs with some guy they had obviously apprehended. The guy looked terrified, as if he was being kidnapped by the mob and being taken off somewhere to be knocked off..

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 5:00 PM

I dink he was, R6.

But you ain’t seen nothin, unnerstand?

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 5:07 PM

New York has vigilantes dressed up in tracksuits running round?

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 5:12 PM

R4 nailed it! I remember them too, grew up here.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 5:20 PM

i didn't see much of them at all after the 80s, and then i left NYC.

I was always grateful to see them in subway cars, although I always wondered who they answered to.

I never liked Sliwa, though. I just saw him on a Netflix documentary series about the mob in NYC in the 1970s when they dominated the construction business. He came across as a real thug even still.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 5:36 PM

We need them more than ever today. The creeps and degenerates are running the streets and with no more stop and frisk, bail reform (no bail, get out right away) the bad actors are destroying the city. People do not feel safe these days in NYC and anything to help is appreciated. I do not care how they vote either.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 5:41 PM

They scared the hell out of me. They were a bunch of thugs with a good publicist.

Funny how no one here seems upset by their media hoaxes and the frauds they perpetrated for publicity.

That makes you feel safe? Not me.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 6:00 PM

R12 is absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 6:05 PM

Next time I see one of them I will thank them for doing what nobody in the mayor's office is capable of.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 6:20 PM

Curtis looks GOOD with that beard, I must say.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote] I just saw him on a Netflix documentary series about the mob in NYC in the 1970s when they dominated the construction business.

What’s the name of this, please, r10.

I would love to see it.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 6:43 PM

I wanted to join them when I was 16! I though Lisa Sliwa was very elegant and cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote] The creeps and degenerates are running the streets and with no more stop and frisk, bail reform (no bail, get out right away)

Not to mention the idiotic decision to get rid of plainclothes cops whose job it was to hunt for guns.

Want to commit a crime? Just make sure there isn’t anyone in uniform lurking around and you’re good to go.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 6:45 PM

Its good that they have returned. But its a bad sign that they have needed to do so. As R14 says this is yet another indication that De Blasio is incompetent and incapable

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 6:54 PM

Rosanna Scotto of Good Day NY really ripped DeBlasio a new asshole this morning regarding the state of crime in the city. Let's just say Rosanna won't be interviewing Mayor Dumbass anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 12:26 AM

Love Rossana Gambino Scotto! Such a sweet Italian girl.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2020 1:07 AM

I’m not r10, but it’s called Fear City r16. Watch it, Sliwa is in it quite a bit actually. Great series for both history buffs, mob buffs, and NYC lovers.

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2020 4:11 AM

Yeah, 80s New Yorker here too, I always felt a little better seeing them on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2020 4:15 AM

Isn't the leader a huge Trump supporter?

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2020 4:31 AM

I did as well R23

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2020 4:31 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2020 11:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!