Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

State Propaganda is Winning: Fox News Leads the Pack in Prime Time.

In June and July, Fox News was the highest-rated television channel in the prime-time hours of 8 to 11 p.m. Not just on cable. Not just among news networks. All of television. The average live Fox News viewership in those hours outstripped cable rivals like CNN, MSNBC and ESPN, as well as the broadcast networks ABC, CBS and NBC, according to Nielsen.

That three-hour slot is a narrow but significant slice of TV real estate, and it is exceedingly rare for a basic-cable channel to outrank the Big Three broadcasters, which are available in more households and offer a wider variety of programming.

Two days stood out when Fox News ratings fell significantly: the funerals of George Floyd, the Minnesota man who died after a police officer pinned him to the ground during a routine stop, and Representative John Lewis, the towering civil rights figure.

Like its rivals CNN and MSNBC, Fox News carried the memorial services live. During Mr. Floyd’s funeral, viewership on all three networks dipped. On both occasions, the drop in Fox News’s audience was stark, down to numbers more typically seen during overnight hours. (CNN and Mediaite previously reported on the ratings dips.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 7:08 PM

Only old people and boomers have cable. These numbers are meaningless

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 3:04 PM

Old people vote. They aint got anything better to do than complain and watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 3:08 PM

They'll cling to their Fox News, Bibles and guns to the bitter end.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 3:12 PM

This isn't news, Faux News has been leading the cable news ratings for years.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 3:12 PM

Remember, if you want your fix of Trump/Republican propaganda, then Fox News is all you've got. For the rest of us, there are so many other options that it spreads out the left/progressive audience, so these other channels will have lower individual ratings than Fox.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 3:16 PM

And once again, Fox gets about 3 million viewers a day. The are 320 million that don't give a shit about Fox News .More people get up and pee during a commercial for "The Bachelor" that are watching Fox.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 3:19 PM

Also remember. Most of the viewers of Fox Nazi are 65+. They are retired, have no disposable income and are brand loyal. Advertisers HATE that demo. They also have all the free time to sit in front of the TV and scream at it all day. It's literal babysitting for dead people. It also doesn't help that there is no new programming or live sports to counteract this slop. What it tells me is most people are NOT watching TV period during this time.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 3:22 PM

Honestly average age of all cable news is pretty old r7. The average age of MSNBC, Faux News and CNN viewer is in their 60s.

Cable news isn't popular with the 18-49 demographic.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 3:26 PM

When u look at the voting age population it doesn’t really matter

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 3:28 PM

Well, when you think about it, this kind of makes sense; the world is on fire, but Fox News tells people that it's all good: the virus is a fake and/or will go away by Thanksgiving, the stock market is okay, Dump & Co. are doing great while thwarting mean ole Nancy & Chuck at every turn. In scary, uncertain times, who doesn't love a messenger that tells you exactly what you want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 3:31 PM

R7 - you just described my best friend's 80 year old father. Fox News 24/7 and that's not an exaggeration. It is babysitting.

Agreed with the above poster - you need to look at this compared to the combined other networks. I will give you this - they have a loyalty to their brand, but it doesn't mean that's the majority of news consumption. It's just the largest single source of news consumption. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 3:32 PM

I would think that a high percentage of liberals get their news from the internet, not from TV news shows. I also think a high percentage of conservatards are stuck in the past and get most of their news from the "boob tube". So FAUX News being a big winner really means little to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote] Only old people and boomers

Same thing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 3:42 PM

Hey, I'm a boomer and I wouldn't watch cable news, even if I had it, which I don't. Get all my news online.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 3:51 PM

I would think that a high percentage of liberals get their news from the internet, not from TV news shows. I also think a high percentage of conservatards are stuck in the past and get most of their news from the "boob tube". So FAUX News being a big winner really means little to nothing.

And those who aren't watching Fox 24/7 are getting their news from FACEBOOK, which is just as bad, if not worse....

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 4:39 PM

No, right wing propaganda is not winning, even though most of the time it seems like the only thing the masses see on TV or in print is whatever they're lying about on any given day. I believe at this point there's little to nothing the GOP can do to change people's minds. They know it's all lies.

But that said, it is disheartening to rarely see any of the democrats answering many of these ludicrous statements by Trump or his people. They do, but not nearly enough and not nearly in a venue widely circulated enough. Why isn't that worthless head of the DNC on TV every fucking day calling BULLSHIT on crap Trump's people said the day before? As far as most people are concerned that guy doesn't even exist. Is he only responsible for planning the convention? Is he the Democrat's in house party planner and that's it. Sure seems like it most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote] This isn't news, Faux News has been leading the cable news ratings for years.

Reading comprehension really isn’t your thing, is it?

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 4:48 PM

This channel destroyed our democracy and made millions doing it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 4:57 PM

[quote]This channel destroyed our democracy and made millions doing it

Fox News and hate radio (Limbaugh and company) drove middle American whites over a cliff of misdirected anger and resentment by appealing to their racisim and xenophobia. Propaganda works wonders on the weak minded. Rupert Murdoch would make Goebbels proud.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 7:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!