Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Break from Drinking

Recently, I realized that I’ve been drinking every day. It all started when my husbear had COVID (completely recovered, thank you!) and I would read and drink wine while he was having an afternoon nap. Well, this didn’t stop, and I’m disturbed by it, and haven’t been feeling great. I stopped a couple of days ago and already feel better. Anyone else stopping their pandemic alcohol consumption?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 13, 2020 2:56 PM

You need me to sponsor you in the AA programs.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 2:37 PM

I haven’t but I realise I should..... Good for you OP. Keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 2:39 PM

I slowed down a lot last month, maybe drinking one day a week. I couldn’t believe how much better I felt. But now on vacation and back to the boozing. It’s more a habit, I suppose, but I’m going to bring it in once I get back.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 2:39 PM

I have usually two glasses of wine per day, and never before 6:30 or 7 in the evening, that keeps me in check.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 2:39 PM

Do you know what your coronavirus alcoholic quarantine name is?

You take your first name... and your last name.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 2:40 PM

Did you use the word husbear while drinking? If not, maybe you should pour a glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 2:41 PM

I completely changed up my drinking. It’s once a week now - Saturday’s. Anything more than that and I just can’t function.

It’s been fabulous. My energy is through the roof, I’m exercising 4-5 days a week. It enabled me to look at my diet and change that too.

Even though I was only a wine drinker, not having those two big glasses a night has kinda changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 2:42 PM

I've cut back. I wasn't drinking large amounts, but I found I was having a drink most days. My partner would encourage it, because he thought I could use the relaxation.

Now I have a drink once a week, if that.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 2:43 PM

1. Stop drinking

2. Stop saying "husbear" - that sounds retarded, and no one, trust me, no one thinks it's cute

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 2:45 PM

This past week, my husband (not husbear, alas) and I didn’t have a drink from last Sunday to last night - we had a little wine with our Sunday dinner. This was the first time we’d gone longer than one day without drinking since mid-March. And yes, I feel much better for it.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, OP. These are strange and traumatic times, especially if your partner had been ill with Covid. Just be aware it’s probably not doing you much good, and will be damaging in the long term. If you can ease up, then it might be a good idea to do so.

And I’m glad your husband has recovered. Be well, both of you.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 2:49 PM

1. I did 2. I used “husbear” because it would annoy some. I started using it to be funny, now I use it affectionately, but still joke about it. It’s also fun to use while being passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 2:51 PM

My husband quit drinking 2 months ago. He used to be a bear, but now he’s more like an otter.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 2:57 PM

If you think you have a problem with alcohol....

You probably do.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 3:13 PM

Thank you R10

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote]If you think you have a problem with alcohol.... You probably do.

Yep. Normal drinkers don’t question if their drinking is normal.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 3:20 PM

I’ve definitely been drinking more they COVID and now I have bronchitis

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 3:30 PM

R15 and R10 - or there has been such awareness/stigma put on to drinking the past 25 years that people are hypersensitive to it. Nobody worries as much about their caffeine, sugar, exercise, prescription drugs, stress or sex.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 3:36 PM

I was hitting it fairly often during quarantine. Definitely entirely too much. I've cut way back, keep my 32oz Yeti Rambler full of ice water or unsweetened Stassen Jasmine Green Tea (my FAVORITE) all day, and have started using a pedometer in my daily life. I walk everywhere, and have for years...so why not see what those figures look like? My own figure is already looking better, and my blood pressure will thank me.

Thankfully, I somehow managed not to gain back the eleven pounds I took off way back in December. So, that's encouraging as well. Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 3:38 PM

My partner bought me 40 bottles of wine for my birthday in June.

Those are all gone.

A break would not be bad.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 3:49 PM

I need to give it a break, too. Too much beerin'. I like how my skin looks after I've quit for a few weeks or so.

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 3:51 PM

I’m available for sponsorship if anyone needs a sponsor!!

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 3:51 PM

First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 4:06 PM

R15, I respectfully disagree. "Normal" drinkers can and do ask whether their drinking is excessive or abnormal -- but they do it before it gets out of control.

A normal drinker might drink a beer or two a few days a week, but notice that that's becoming a beer or two every evening, and ask, "is this ok? should I cut back? Yes, I probably shouldn't drink every day. I'll cut back."

For some of them, that's how they stay "normal" drinkers.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 4:08 PM

So sick of these recovering alcoholics who could never control their drink jumping in on these threads.

Not everyone is like you.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 4:26 PM

I only drink on the weekend but I admit that there are days that cause me to crack big time (power outage from recent storms, latest Dump outrage, etc.). It feels at times as if drinking is literally the only escape left to me...

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 4:35 PM

I need to cut back too. I’m in the bag straight after work and every weekend. I feel like crap today.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 4:40 PM

Due to A foot injury I was bed bound for a month (Not Covid related) and stopped drinking booze altogether. Also i think my medication curbed my appetite and I lost 20 pounds just laying in bed. Prior to that, my boyfriend and I were during dinner drinking a bottle of wine every night and on the weekends we’d have a six pack or two during the day and then wine. I plan on keeping this weight off, so no more wine at dinner and less beer on the weekends.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 4:46 PM

I got into a habit that lasted for 20 yrs. A few glasses of wine while I prepared dinner. But the habit became too strong. I realized I had a problem and quit cold turkey. I miss it occasionally but as time goes on I think about it less and less. I save a lot of money as well.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 4:49 PM

I have two gin and tonics every day.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 5:01 PM

"husbear" is the kind of cute like a 50 year old saying "Omg, like totes adorbs." - not cute, just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 5:03 PM

R21 yes please.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 5:18 PM

I feel so much better not drinking at all. I am going to stay off it permanently. Thank you covid isolation!

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2020 6:44 PM

So often when I drink it gives me a migraine. Otherwise, I would just drink every single day.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2020 6:46 PM

I had one drink in June and before that it was April.

I don't have the money, I don't need the calories, and being home all the time makes it way to easy to drink too much by just sipping away slowly.

I was never a heavy drinker - probably a bottle or two of wine a week. Can't say I noticed a huge change but I have lost a bit of weight.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2020 6:49 PM

I take Mondays off from drinking during Covid. I used to take a few weeknights off, but with working from home, it's just too easy most nights to have a glass or three of wine when I stop working. I'd love to lose a few pounds, but I think the stress relief of the wine helps me stay halfway sane.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2020 6:53 PM

Alcohol should be banned like other drugs.

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2020 6:56 PM

What wrong with a beer or two every day?

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2020 1:56 AM

Don't you feel good not drinking? I know I feel better now that I'm not drinking.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2020 7:03 AM

Alcohol doesn't work on me, at all.

Kratom has been keeping me company this whole time.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2020 7:12 AM

Obviously, none of you are Scandinavian? My Scandinavian grandmother drank four times as you guys, was sharp and hysterical, could whip together a delicious dinner without effort, gardened her vegetables in Westchester, and died at 90 laughing.

Why limit yourselves to such paltry amounts of alcohol in these troubled times?

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2020 7:19 AM

R40, pffft

Without the heavy drinking she'd probably still be alive today and not looking a day over 33 years old.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2020 7:23 AM

Is drinking four times a day heavy drinking? Ever been to Nantucktet?

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2020 7:44 AM

Does "four times a day" mean four sips, four shots, four beers, four bottles of wine or four fifths?

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2020 5:22 PM

OP, a glass of wine each day is hardly what I'd call a "drinker". By your standards, Darin Stevens must be an alcoholic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2020 6:16 PM

I've been drinking too much during the pandemic, at least a bottle of wine a day sometimes more. I've gained weight cause of it too. I need to stop but it's the only think I look froward to these days.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 6:20 PM

R45 same here. Be sure to take iron, B12, magnesium and vitamine D. Kalium too if you have cramps. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2020 7:45 PM

R45 same here. Be sure to take iron, B12, magnesium and vitamine D. Kalium too if you have cramps. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2020 7:45 PM

yes, i got to the drinking-every-day point, and stopped. i felt better almost immediately. am sticking to it pretty well, not perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2020 8:14 PM

I quit drinking long ago. Never felt better. Now its heroin every day all day.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2020 8:22 PM

The lockdown has been my break from drinking. Nowhere to go, no socializing, very place closed - no reason to drink. Almost want the bars to stay closed.

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2020 9:00 PM

In mid-April to mid May? I was a LUSH. I have never had more alcohol in one month's span (even college). I stopped on my partner's bday (May 22) and haven't touched a drop since. I feel amazing.

Sometimes going a little overbaord can be just want one needs to see the forest for the trees.

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2020 10:11 PM

A little bender now and then (once or twice a year?) goes a long way in tuning the system and flushing some gunk. That's the problem with dry drunks -- they're not getting their bearings with a much-needed toot.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2020 11:06 PM

I’ve not only been boozing it up during Covid, but I took up smoking as well. I have one or two drinks and one or two cigarettes in the evening. I also smoke weed a few times a week and have a Xanax now and then. I’m a middle aged party animal, that’s what 2020 has wrought. My hus otter is even more of a degenerate.

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2020 11:17 PM

I was drinking way the fuck too much wine through March/April, which triggered massive stomach acid/gas, which triggered massive hypochondriac moments.

Feel much better dried out but it does gets boring.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2020 11:51 PM

I got in the habit of a cocktail or two every other evening. Last month I switched from my usual vodka to cannabis edibles rather than a cocktail. (I live where it's legal.) Very small dosage and still experimenting on different types. Overall I find I'm sleeping better and as a result wake up feeling refreshed. I'm hoping to drop a few pounds by avoiding alcohol and mixer.

by Anonymousreply 55August 13, 2020 2:36 AM

That’s not where it ends so stop now. Soon you’ll be having a drink with lunch. Then one in the morning with your banana. Eventually the days just blend together and you’re never sober. I was a drunk for 12 years. It took being a few months from death for me to snap out of it and get help. Good job quitting now. Once the blackouts start they don’t stop. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2020 2:40 AM

Update from OP: I’ve been sticking with it, and feeling good. Working out daily, and not being too hard on myself with diet. Went for a hike in the mountains and saw a big, beautiful owl, who flew over my head. I’m thinking that’s a sign that I’m doing the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 57August 13, 2020 2:54 PM

Whoaaa, you need schooling, R57.

by Anonymousreply 58August 13, 2020 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!