Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does the stock market open so late?

Wall Street is lazy. They like to steal money from little old ladies but reuse to get up early. They don’t even work for it.

They come in hungover and sit at their desks and collect money all day for doing nothing. And then go home before everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 7:09 PM

The commute in NYC makes the business day start later there.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 1:53 PM

What a nonsensical thread.

Bored much, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 1:54 PM

Everybody else has a long commute too.

They are just lazy crooks.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 1:57 PM

And close early.

The bulk of work happens before the market opens. Most traders I knew went to work at like 5AM. The actual trading time is only one part of the job.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 1:59 PM

It's not just the stock market -- when I first started working in the Midwest and had to deal with a lot of NYC print media and vendors, I had to wait until 9:30 or 10 am to get ahold of anybody. And offices were cleared out on Friday afternoons in summer.

Meanwhile, we were working 7:30 am to 5:30 pm (at least)

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 2:03 PM

Smug and lazy. Paper pushers. Doesn’t appear to be an honest one in the lot.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 2:07 PM

LOCK THEM UP!

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 2:11 PM

It would be a shame if they were all replaced by robots.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 2:16 PM

Opens at 9:30am and closes at 4pm, Eastern Time.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 2:28 PM

Hope they don’t break too much of a sweat with that 6 hour workday.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Is it because of the time difference? On the west coast the market opens at 6:30am.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 2:33 PM

Oh, is that why?

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 7:01 PM

The guys I knew who worked as trader on wall street typically were in the office at 7am. There is a lot of work to be done before the market opens.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 7:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!