Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rioting and Looting in Chicago 8-10-20

Large scale protests and unrest have broken out in Chicago, including mass looting taking place across the city.

There is a heavy police presence on the streets following reports of people breaking into businesses and setting vehicles on fire.

Videos posted on social media show police dealing with the unrest. Among the videos is footage of several people breaking into a bank after smashing windows with baseball bats and another showing crowds of people fleeing after gunshots are heard outside a store.

Several clips also show people walking out of businesses and stores after allegedly stealing goods and items from inside. The unrest shows no sign of stopping as of the early hours on Monday morning.

by Anonymousreply 364August 21, 2020 2:32 AM

Hundreds of people swept through the Magnificent Mile and other parts of downtown Chicago early Monday, smashing windows, looting stores and clashing with police for hours.

People darted in and out of the stores along Michigan Avenue carrying shopping bags full of merchandise. Cars dropped off more people as the crowd grew. At least one U-Haul van was seen pulling up.

Crowds repeatedly tried to bash in the windows of the Omega watch store at Delaware Place and Michigan Avenue.

“The watch store,” one officer said. “They’re gonna get it eventually.”

A group of people went in and out through a broken window of the Louis Vuitton store along Walton Place across the street from the Drake Hotel. A squad car drove by and the group ran away.

But as the car rode off, at least one person tried to go into the shop. The police returned.

“Go home!” One cop shouted.

“You go home!” Someone shouted, apparently back at the officer.

People were seen running out of a PNC Bank, its windows smashed, at Huron and State streets. Down the block, other stores, including a Sally Beauty Supply, had been cleaned out by vandales. Other parts of downtown, including around Grand and Wabash avenues, were littered with trash.

Police made several arrests and recovered at least one gun, officials said. One woman with shopping bags in her hands fell on the sidewalk as an officer was chasing her. Another woman appeared to have been pepper-sprayed. A rock was thrown at a squad car.

One officer was seen slumped against a building by Grand and Wabash avenues as other other cops tended to him. Down the block, police in camouflage gear and shields briefly stood outside at a shop at Rush Street and Grand Avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 9:59 AM

Just another day in disintegrating America.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 10:03 AM

Stop with your nonsense, Trump troll. You keep starting these Chicago scare threads. I live in Chicago and we're just fine.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 10:09 AM

SIGN O' THE TIMES

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 10:21 AM

ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 10:25 AM

Yeah. Funny. I have dozens of friends in Chicago and none of them are reporting anything.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 10:33 AM

Bone Spurs troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 10:36 AM

I told ypu people , you woild not listen !

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 10:40 AM

It's true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 10:49 AM

Or this link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 10:50 AM

R3 R6 Lots of denial and friends who having been out of their mum's basement in years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 10:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 10:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 10:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 10:55 AM

So the Chicago Tribune is what, making it all up?

You don't have to be a Deplorable to be against looting and violence. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 11:02 AM

R3 R6 Deplorable apologists for thugs and thieves

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 11:02 AM

OP worked hard for the rubles today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 11:06 AM

NY Post reports it. Not a word yet in the NY Times. They do, finally, have an article on how Black City Council members from Black majority districts oppose more cuts to NYC police budget and ask for a measured approach. The push for more cuts is coming from white progressives and younger POC Council members representing gentrifying districts. White progressives are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 11:06 AM

Report from Chicago TV station WGN (wgntv.com). DL declines the link.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 11:08 AM

LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 11:10 AM

r3 and r6

How do you feel being the STUPIDEST PEOPLE ON THE ENTIRE PLANET.

Did you notice, they have yet to come back and apologize?

And they won't. They were probably mad because they had their hand in the looting.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 11:10 AM

No Bus or Train service from Fullerton (North) to Cermak (South) and Ashland (West)

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 11:11 AM

If it's not Trump's cousin-fuckers screwing up the nation's covid plateaus because they absolutely HAVE TO use the water slides at Six Flags Over Jesus in Arizona, Florida and Texas, then it's the THUGS in my hometown who "deserve" free stuff because their 200-300-years-ago ancestors were enslaved - by Trump's cousin-fuckers' ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 11:15 AM

It is for real. Click the link. The looting is moving away from downtown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 11:15 AM

I hope they don't read this and head down to St. Louis next. We've had plenty.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 11:17 AM

I can't believe the losers that couldn't take five seconds to verify a serious post.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 11:23 AM

Why do we get a weekly negative update on Chicago? We get it, already.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 11:29 AM

OP why are you obsessed with this particular topic? (not to mention the ongoing replying to yourself)

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 11:32 AM

Not just along the Magnificent Mile, local news is showing a Best Buy looted a few miles away. "People continued to loot throughout the morning, even as the sun came up."

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 11:33 AM

Local news is showing people pulling up in their cars alongside stores, running in to loot and stuffing their cars full of merchandise. In broad daylight!

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 11:34 AM

What we did?

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 11:35 AM

National Guard needs to be called in.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2020 11:36 AM

Oh, fuck you, OP and other Trump trolls. DLers, ignore these assholes. Keep your eye on the ball and vote their dimwitted cult leader and his evil minions out on Nov. 3.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2020 11:36 AM

Too bad but kind of inevitable. The BLM rhetoric combined with criminals ultimate end.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2020 11:38 AM

R28: OP is obviously a plant from the GOP to stir shit up on DL. They know how well-trafficked this site is. Let's block these assholes and move on.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2020 11:39 AM

Funny how this never happens in the EU. I wonder why...

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2020 11:42 AM

Where do you live DEPLORABLE R33? We're going to get a bunch of people together to break into your house and walk off with all of your stuff. Just cuz . . .

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2020 11:44 AM

Democratic Alderman Brian Hopkins:"Criminals are robbing stores at will. This is much worse than happened over the weekend of May 30. The sun is coming up and the looting is continuing, and moving north. "

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2020 11:45 AM

What triggered this round of looting?

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2020 11:46 AM

R36 Looting is rare in the EU because there's no decades of communal inculcation of being responsible for nothing yet being owed everything.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2020 11:47 AM

Why don't the security alarms work inside this burglarized mall...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2020 11:48 AM

R34: Hey, racist asshole. It's nothing compared with what the white GOP is doing to this country. Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2020 11:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2020 11:49 AM

Black Lives Matter

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2020 11:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2020 11:53 AM

And speaking of BLM . . .

Over 200 arrests as BLM protest in Brussels leads to riots and looting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2020 11:56 AM

Biden will have to issue a statement. Whatever he says will offend the coalition of moderates (including older Black voters) and the progressives. It's a lose/lose for him. If Harris were the VP choice NOW and issued a strong condemnation (as former law officer) it might shore up the center and help her with middle America. He should have picked her already and needs to do it NOW.

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2020 11:57 AM

The best a Biden/Harris ticket can do right now is move quickly to the center. The far left is showing they cannot govern and support chaos. Otherwise it's a loss for the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2020 12:02 PM

My cousin lives in Chicago, just north of Wrigley Field. Back in May the situation was so bad, she couldn’t leave her apartment for 3 days because the crowd was so large and destructive. They looted for three days straight until the city finally put a stop to it because buildings were being shot at and residents were starting to patrol their own buildings with guns. Once she could leave, she couldn’t find a bus that would go downtown so a friend had to drive her to work. I never thought I would see anything like that in America.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 12:20 PM

I live in the Loop.

Yes this happened (again)..

My husband and I are thinking of moving now.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2020 12:25 PM

WaPo: It’s not clear what sparked the unrest. But it followed a tense day between police and Black residents after police shot and wounded a man in the city’s South Side, sparking a violent standoff between dozens of officers and angry neighbors.

Downtown bridges are raised to discourage travel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2020 12:28 PM

This is on Trump not Biden. He's the failure who can't keep order. However, this probably helps Harris.

Who are the morons who think this is some Trump trolls plot? Probably a Russian troll himself.

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2020 12:28 PM

Mayor lightfoot needs to spend less time eating box and more time controlling her city. What a complete failure of leadership.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2020 12:30 PM

I wonder if anyone - Black community leaders, political leaders, candidates, someone with a modicum of sense - will publicly and unequivocally condemn the riots and looting.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2020 12:39 PM

Hilarious how DL has delved to people accusing anyone of being a Russian Boris or a Trump bot for posting actually verified news about these riots.

Almost no better than Dee Plorable herself...

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2020 12:39 PM

I do nothing wrong.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2020 12:47 PM

Get ready for another white flight. In the next few years smaller cities will boom. The crime in NYC and Chicago is getting out of control.

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2020 1:02 PM

Maybe we can spin up some gay ghettos again....

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2020 1:03 PM

R57, we've been told a thousand times, and in no uncertain terms, that "whiteness" is the problem with our cities and culture. So don't think of it as "white flight." Think of it as whitey graciously bowing out of a place where he's not wanted. Soon all our cities can be nearly cracker-free paradises like Newark, Detroit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2020 1:06 PM

Trump’s got my vote!

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2020 1:07 PM

My business is near the police shooting that happened yesterday. I'm by Ashland and 59th. Word on the street is that the gun the suspect had was planted by CPD. I really doubt it but that's what ppl are believing. It started from yesterday, Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2020 1:07 PM

Ok R60, if Trump is president now, what makes you believe things will get better if we continue under his presidency? We need change.

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2020 1:14 PM

And Trump will do what? Build more prisons? Put people in camps? Kill them? He's proven himself so competent at handling complex problems like Covid. He's tanking the post office and ready to tank medicare and social security. You think that will make cities more peacfu?

Magic thinking like yours got us where we are. Fuck these Russian trolls who are feeding racism and desperation and the morons who cling to them.

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2020 1:16 PM

ALL of Chicago leadership is VEHEMENTLY opposed to Trump... and it gets us this.

THAT"S all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2020 1:21 PM

Maybe if they were white gay men Lori Lightfoot would have broken this up in an hour. She’ll find some way to make excuses for these thugs.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2020 1:26 PM

R64 AKA Boris, you know nothing. Trump is president. This happened on his watch.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2020 1:26 PM

Police superintendent says "car caravans" headed into downtown to break into stores.

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2020 1:28 PM

Obviously an organized criminal enterprise. No one is saying otherwise. People are mad and disgusted. But defaulting to racism and a fascist dictatorship is not a good look. If that's your first response, it's time to look inward.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2020 1:32 PM

Mayor Lightfoot: "Brazen and extensive criminal looting and destruction ... abject criminal behavior, pure and simple. Not legitimate first-amendment protected speech. To those who engaged in this criminal behavior, let's be clear: we are coming for you."

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2020 1:34 PM

Sometimes I think they should let Alderman Burke and his police contacts loose on the city. There was peace when he had power. Mayor Lightfoot - bless her heart- is way in over her head bringing in the Houston cop to take over the top CPD post. Plus, she wants to pick a fight w folks. that Twitter rhetoric about people being enjoying the lakefront was too confrontational. She's a tough woman and I like her but needs to tone it down.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2020 1:35 PM

[quote]that Twitter rhetoric about people being enjoying the lakefront was too confrontational.

Cuomo did the same thing in NY.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2020 1:37 PM

Has the Wrigleyville Cumdump checked in "safe?"

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2020 1:40 PM

The car thing was done in NYC during the riots as well. Criminal gangs have learned new tactic.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2020 1:40 PM

[quote]"Brazen and extensive criminal looting and destruction ... abject criminal behavior, pure and simple. Not legitimate first-amendment protected speech. To those who engaged in this criminal behavior, let's be clear: we are coming for you."

Admirable sound bite. But will Lightfoot risks social and political censure and actually go after the culprits? Somehow I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2020 1:41 PM

You have to click on US link and go toward the bottom of the page on the NYT to find an article on "looting and unrest" in Chicago. The emphasis on the article is on buses being canceled and bridges being closed. I'm really sick of the Times.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2020 1:47 PM

Lori doesn't make the decision to prosecute. That's in states attorney Kim Foxx's hands. She has a policy of no prosecutions for property thefts under 300 and was applauded for that. Very lenient treatment of the last round of lootings but the circumstances are quite different.

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2020 1:49 PM

[quote]But will Lightfoot risks social and political censure and actually go after the culprits? Somehow I doubt it.

She and the police superintendent called out judges and the justice system for not holding criminals accountable.

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2020 1:49 PM

Friends are in the south loop and didn't even know about this until i told them. Of course, they fuck a lot

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2020 1:53 PM

How can anyone living in Chicago say this didn’t happen and the city is “just fine?” Hardly. Top story on daily mail right now.

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote]She and the police superintendent called out judges and the justice system for not holding criminals accountable.

Political palaver. And the reality? Increasingly blatant looting because no one is the least bit interested in accountability or responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2020 1:56 PM

2 things are clearly happening. One, organized crime is piggybacking on protests to do this, alongside willing anarchists and nihilists who want to smash shit (and if they get a new free TV out of it, then bonus). The other is the CPD, like most major departments this summer, engaging in illegal strikes, going slow, responding slowly, officers calling in sick, all that shit. Put the 2 together and you get what happened here, and what has happened in other cities.

And one wonders how much foreign payments or Republican operatives are involved promoting or paying. It's sad we have to consider this, but we really do. You just wonder, because why NOW? Why August 10th? It's so random....

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2020 1:57 PM

R20 Trump will win because of that picture That individual personifies every negative stereotype the far right has. Apparently LaWanda could not wait for the next stimulus check for some new shoes. LaWanda looks like she may have several underlying conditions that put her at high risk for COVID. So what does she do ? Go out and riot .

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2020 1:58 PM

I pretty much assume this is being fueled by political operatives - including Russian. And it is working. It’s given Trump the best shot at winning he could possibly have gotten. The merger of internet and politics is terrifying - I have completely lost faith in democracy.

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2020 2:03 PM

Please don’t let them be.....

Oh. Never mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2020 2:05 PM

Black Russian operatives r83?

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote]I pretty much assume this is being fueled by political operatives

POLITICO: Facing possible electoral calamity, Republicans are now turning to a familiar playbook: stoking fear by trying to redefine the Black Lives Matter movement as a radical leftist mob looking to sabotage the white, suburban lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2020 2:07 PM

R82 "LaWanda could not wait for the next stimulus check" Yeah, you totally don't sound like far right racist yourself

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2020 2:12 PM

BLM leaders better denounce this looting today to maintain their credibility

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2020 2:15 PM

Do the "It's all Russians doing" trolls realize how silly and insane they sound?

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2020 2:16 PM

R88 They can't and they won't. BLM is nothing if not as racist and hypocritical as those they condemn.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2020 2:18 PM

The so-called Lawanda photo is attached to a Q account.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2020 2:23 PM

R86, if that's so, and the Republicans are paying off these rioters and looters, why aren't these entirely Democratic-controlled cities and states doing anything to stop it? These visuls are handing the election to the Rs on a silver platter. At this point, as a New Yorker, I don't give a fuck if the Democrats, Repubs, Greens, or Whigs do it, I'll vote for whoever steps up. And nobody is stepping up.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2020 2:26 PM

This is what happens in Africa How can it be happening in america??? Trump needs to call in the tanks.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2020 2:27 PM

Right wingers probably started it as usual.

They needed a distraction from the disastrous executive orders.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2020 2:27 PM

R75, I cancelled my subscription 3 weeks ago. It ceased being the NY Times years ago. NY Pravda is more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2020 2:29 PM

Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺 Boris 🇷🇺

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2020 2:30 PM

So, some rich people stores got broken into and robbed. Who cares? They got good insurance I'm sure. No one really got hurt. Keep cornering poor people into a corner and you're getting nothing more than an animal.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2020 2:30 PM

R93: Do you honestly believe that we are falling for this? That are you a fellow gay who actually belongs here? That you didn't just come in here from whatever hate site sent you to post this garbage. Are you naked and furiously masturbating when you typed that? Is this....is this like a sex thing for you people?

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2020 2:30 PM

Just watched Lightfoots press conference. She threw the DA under the bus. Said it was her fault because she never prosecuted the people arrested back in June so they knew there are no consequences. The DA is definitely shady with another agenda, she should have been fired after the Jussie case. But mayor lesbo needs to take some responsibility too. Chicago is a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Butbutbut PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!! Derpderpderp LOOTERS AND CRIMINALS!!!

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2020 2:32 PM

They are admitting they are terrorists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 10, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] ALL of Chicago leadership is VEHEMENTLY opposed to Trump... and it gets us this.

[quote] if that's so, and the Republicans are paying off these rioters and looters, why aren't these entirely Democratic-controlled cities and states doing anything to stop it?

The police union is solidly aligned with the administration.

My first thought this morning was about Barr on FUX last night calmly blaming a Democratic power grab for all of the problems of the country. It's been peaceful for over a week (was he recovering from Typhoid Louie?), so now they are ready to move in and execute the next phase.

Feds in Chicago by...Wednesday?

by Anonymousreply 102August 10, 2020 2:34 PM

Looks like we will be forced to vote Trump or chaos will destroy us all.

by Anonymousreply 103August 10, 2020 2:52 PM

Yes let us all vote for Dear Leader, lest this evil consume us all. Only Dear Leader can save us from evil. All Hail Dear Leader! All Hail Trump, our Dear Leader, forever and ever, AMEN!!

by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2020 2:55 PM

Uhm, Trump is president right now. And chaos is still raging. Time for change.

by Anonymousreply 105August 10, 2020 2:56 PM

From the New York Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 10, 2020 3:00 PM

If Biden becomes president will all of this magically stop happening?

by Anonymousreply 107August 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Block the troll and look at the rest of his posts. Tell me Boris isn't real.

by Anonymousreply 108August 10, 2020 3:03 PM

R108 point out the specific posts we should block

by Anonymousreply 109August 10, 2020 3:12 PM

Chicago question from someone in Minneapolis. I've spent very little time in Chicago. The layout of the neighborhoods - I've heard the "majority" of the city is safe and shielded from the specific gang/violent areas? Up until now, anyway. We have the same type of neighborhoods but violence is felt in all areas of the City of Minneapolis, if something happens in North, people are still concerned in the South, more or less. Chicago must be so much more segregated, and a bigger city obviously. I just want to get a better handle on the neighborhoods. I've always found it hard to buy "chicago is great, gang violence is only on a few blocks" argument.

by Anonymousreply 110August 10, 2020 4:10 PM

Very difficult to feel any empathy for these looters. I'm about as far-left as you can get, but I've just about had it with BLM.

by Anonymousreply 111August 10, 2020 4:18 PM

r111, I think the point is that this isn't BLM that's looting.

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2020 4:20 PM

"Chicago must be so much more segregated,"

Chicago and St. Louis are the two most segregated cities in the country.

by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2020 4:24 PM

If you're conflating looters and BLM, you were never a leftist. Stop lying.

by Anonymousreply 114August 10, 2020 4:25 PM

THE white allies in the media won't give this much coverage. It's criminals using BLM as a cover. BLM is a white cult mostly now anyway... Not that racism etc. isn't for real of course.

by Anonymousreply 115August 10, 2020 4:29 PM

Chicago is great! Just watch out for black MAGA hat wearers on your way to Subway for a sandwich and salad at 2 in the morning in sub-zero temperatures.

Experience, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 116August 10, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] Looks like we will be forced to vote Trump or chaos will destroy us all.

😂😂😂😂😂 Try harder. Newsflash: the Dotard happens to be occupying (a lot of) space in the Oval Office right now. While this is happening. He’s part of the problem, not the solution.

Bye, bye, bye.

by Anonymousreply 117August 10, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote] THE white allies in the media won't give this much coverage. It's criminals using BLM as a cover. BLM is a white cult mostly now anyway... Not that racism etc. isn't for real of course.

Then what the fuck are you doing about racism other than suggesting that any protest regarding BLM is secretly criminal?

YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM

by Anonymousreply 118August 10, 2020 5:42 PM

R49: "My cousin lives in Chicago, just north of Wrigley Field. Back in May the situation was so bad, she couldn’t leave her apartment for 3 days because the crowd was so large and destructive. They looted for three days straight until the city finally put a stop to it because buildings were being shot at and residents were starting to patrol their own buildings with guns. Once she could leave, she couldn’t find a bus that would go downtown so a friend had to drive her to work. I never thought I would see anything like that in America."

This never happened. Your cousin was trying to hit her parents up for more money.

Tornado warnings and storms tonight so nothing is likely to happen.

by Anonymousreply 119August 10, 2020 5:53 PM

Trump minions sent to cause trouble in Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 120August 10, 2020 6:03 PM

r120, it did seem kind of organized, right? I read that people had U-Hauls. Who just happens to have a UHaul to commit theft in Chicago? Does not seem like a BLM thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 121August 10, 2020 6:08 PM

Yep all the “looters” are renting UHauls now. So easy to just hand over your driver’s license and credit card info and just drive off for a night of anonymous theft and mayhem to be streamed on Twitter. Crime of the century I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 122August 10, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote] it did seem kind of organized, right? I read that people had U-Hauls. Who just happens to have a UHaul to commit theft in Chicago?

Ya know there is such a thing as “underground” social media.

by Anonymousreply 123August 10, 2020 6:40 PM

R20 should have stolen a treadmill

by Anonymousreply 124August 10, 2020 6:43 PM

What were they protesting today?

The cost of Gucci and Nike ?

by Anonymousreply 125August 10, 2020 6:47 PM

She needed shoes though!

The last pair of high heels she had turned into flats in about 40 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 126August 10, 2020 6:48 PM

When the looting starts....

by Anonymousreply 127August 10, 2020 6:50 PM

What will Biden do to stop this that can't be done now? He'll send in the FBI, the ATF to travk down rioters. He'll send in the NationL Guard to quell looting. The difference is Lightfoot won't piss and whine on TV about federal fascists if Biden is sending them.

So the earliest this problem can even start to be addressed is next January, since Lightfoot seems to think death and chaos in Chicago is an acceptable wedge issue for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 128August 10, 2020 6:53 PM

R129 I see the typos, I was raging as I typed- sorry.

by Anonymousreply 129August 10, 2020 6:54 PM

R20 That's a big lady there. Looks like she is holding boxes of shoes. Bet she really wanted was boxes of greasy food. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 130August 10, 2020 6:55 PM

R50 - in February, we moved to a high rise in River North, couple blocks west of Michigan Avenue where the looting took place both times. We have nothing but regrets about moving there. We are going to sell and leave Chicago. Life long residents - never thought we would leave.

by Anonymousreply 131August 10, 2020 6:56 PM

R131 Fascists! Racists! It's your moral duty to twiddle your thumbs and pretend everything is fine. Do you want Trump to win?

by Anonymousreply 132August 10, 2020 6:59 PM

My eye witness account from the south loop:

I didn’t hear anything until around 6 this morning, when I woke up due to noisy teenagers laughing and yelling.

I looked outside and car loads of kids were running back and forth between the parking lot across the street and the very hip t-shirt store on the ground floor of our building.

I went downstairs - and outside - to see what was going on. That’s when I realized there was organized looting going on.

I didn’t yell “Get off my lawn” but it did call the police and take photos of looters and their cars’ license plates.

That was probably very foolish, but I’m a big guy and have an unearned sense of safety.

When the cops finally showed up - they didn’t even get out of their car - just told me that I should move. (Out of the neighborhood? Out of the city?)

I have to say, now that I’m working 100 percent virtually, it IS tempting. Maybe just decamp to Provincetown or some place on the Oregon coast.

by Anonymousreply 133August 10, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote]Yeah. Funny. I have dozens of friends in Chicago and none of them are reporting anything.

It’s the 3rd biggest city in the country. Unless they live in one of the areas that this is happening in, why would they report it or know about it?

by Anonymousreply 134August 10, 2020 7:06 PM

Everyone needs to understand that Chicago and the State of Illinois have had multiple opportunities since May to intervene in the escalating violence in Chicago and not only have not chosen to intervene, but have actively opposed intervention.

by Anonymousreply 135August 10, 2020 7:09 PM

You have 118,000 gang members in Chicago. My guess is they instigated this. So what do you do? If you pay reparations, they'll strongarm them out of the hands of anyone who's vulnerable. Bring factories in and create more jobs? Maybe but it would take tens of thousands of jobs to make a dent. When you prosecute and lock. up the heads of gangs, you promote instability and turf wars. The gangs don't go away and the infighting increases. Less police and greater investment in the community? More police?

If you look at the history of white gangs in Chicago and New York, they took control of city government and police. The organized crime surge of the early 20th century took decades and passage of new laws like RICO to diminish.

There are no easy or quick solutions and the fantasy of having a Daddy figure make all the violence go away is especially ridiculous if you pretend a president who can't even close an umbrella or take the toilet paper off his shoe has the competence to get the job done. We're stuck at a point where there isn't a unified perception that what happened last night isn't social justice or just desserts for corporate America..

by Anonymousreply 136August 10, 2020 7:29 PM

[quote]Chicago question from someone in Minneapolis. I've spent very little time in Chicago. The layout of the neighborhoods - I've heard the "majority" of the city is safe and shielded from the specific gang/violent areas? Up until now, anyway. We have the same type of neighborhoods but violence is felt in all areas of the City of Minneapolis, if something happens in North, people are still concerned in the South, more or less. Chicago must be so much more segregated, and a bigger city obviously. I just want to get a better handle on the neighborhoods. I've always found it hard to buy "chicago is great, gang violence is only on a few blocks" argument.

Gang warfare is concentrated in the impoverished black neighborhoods of Chicago's South and Far West side (red areas); however violent crime happens all over the city. Obviously the wealthiest neighborhoods on the North side enjoy more isolation due to physical boundaries and enhanced law enforcement presence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 10, 2020 7:41 PM

R136, as you said,

[quote]We're stuck at a point where there isn't a unified perception that what happened last night isn't social justice or just desserts for corporate America.

Many "woke" people -- perhaps the majority -- think that looting is a form of reparations. That's all well and good, and let them rejoice that justice is being served. However, Mayor Lightfoot recently begged Walmart and Target and other large retailers not to pull up stakes in Chicago, so perhaps she doesn't agree. (Or perhaps she does, and like all politicians, she's lying.)

I know, most BLM/SJW/wokesters/whatever you call 'em would be very happy to see all the big corporate stores, and most white people, gone. Who knows, that may yet happen. I just hope if it does there won't be any piteous complaints that jobs, companies, and rich wypipo have "abandoned" Chicago, because, you know, racism, and obviously no other possible reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 10, 2020 7:51 PM

Sweetness and light, till we're not.

by Anonymousreply 139August 10, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote] and rich wypipo

I love you for this!

I wet myself, but just a little. Still, the couch will need to be cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 140August 10, 2020 9:14 PM

r50 I never understood the people that live in the actual Loop. It turns into a ghost town after 7 pm with the occasional homeless person. Why did you guys decide to live there instead of River North, West Loop, South Loop, Steeterville or Gold Coast?

by Anonymousreply 141August 10, 2020 9:15 PM

"ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB ACAB"

You're a retard. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 142August 10, 2020 9:18 PM

"So, some rich people stores got broken into and robbed. Who cares? They got good insurance I'm sure. No one really got hurt. "

You're retarded, too. Lots of brain dead fuckers on threads like these.

by Anonymousreply 143August 10, 2020 9:20 PM

r110 yes, Chicago is so large/long that the crime are really confined to specific areas. Now, last night we had store looting. Actual residents weren't attacked or shot so it's not like the crime around Garfield Park or the South Side. I live in Lakeview I didn't even hear about this until I pulled up Twitter this afternoon. My area is not affected and people are going on about their business. The neighborhoods are so separated that they might has well be different cities.

Another point, looting and stealing happens in every mall (when they were open and existed) in America. It doesn't make the news but as a former retail worker it happened a lot. During the protests, millionaire social media prince Jake Paul was in Scottsdale Mall (Scottsdale, AZ) breaking into stores. So it happens all over. Since these are stand alone shops and people wanted to smash and loot, the images appear to b worse. don't get me wrong, last night was bad, but it feels as foreign to me as it does to you in MN.

Most of my friends haven't even been in the Loop area since March when their jobs moved to work from home, minus their time taking part in the summer protests.

by Anonymousreply 144August 10, 2020 9:46 PM

Paid protestors and agitators!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 145August 10, 2020 9:57 PM

Omfg.

by Anonymousreply 146August 10, 2020 10:27 PM

So what's the solution for all of this madness? I suspect if jobs could be created that pay well, many of these people wouldn't want to work anyway.

by Anonymousreply 147August 10, 2020 10:28 PM

Quit making excuses for murderers and thieves. Everyone acts like black people in Chicago are going to be so terribly offended if actual criminals get taken off the streets.

Racism is wrongful convictions, planted evidence, harassment of peaceful citizens, preventing a fair trial with prejudiced judgements, lack of access to legal representation, etc. Racism is NOT holding people accountable for the evil shit they do.

Justice has jack all to do with these "protestors."

by Anonymousreply 148August 10, 2020 10:54 PM

Did anyone see any non-blacks looting? In NYC most of the BLM protestors are white and all of the looters I saw on news stories were black. Is that racist media only showing blacks doing crime or is it true that only blacks are doing the looting?

by Anonymousreply 149August 10, 2020 10:54 PM

So it turns out the alt-right must have been behind this. They created fake Facebook pages and organized the riots, according to the Chicago officials.

They are getting better at these fake social media campaigns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 10, 2020 11:00 PM

And you FOOLS sat here debating with trolls as if this was some authentic riot from the citizens of Chicago.

No doubt this was organized overseas, and you fools fell for it.

by Anonymousreply 151August 10, 2020 11:01 PM

This whole thing was a fraud.

NBC News:

“The violence began after misinformation spread about a shooting incident involving the police”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 10, 2020 11:04 PM

Seriously, R150? These looters were peaceable, law abiding citizens until some alt-right types coaxed them on social media, and suddenly their eyes glazed over, they all chanted I HEAR -- AND OBEY!, and ran out to get U-Hauls and start smashing windows?

If the alt-right is that powerful, why bother voting? Why bother to do anything at all? They can control your mind! Make peaceful people riot! I bet they could turn you straight and in a year you'd have a frumpy frau wife and 1.2 squalling brats in your suburban split-level!

by Anonymousreply 153August 10, 2020 11:04 PM

R153 is exactly the kind of gaslighting response you are going to have to deal with until November when they all scurry away.

by Anonymousreply 154August 10, 2020 11:09 PM

This was so fake. Just like the BLM “riots” where the alt-right was busted time and time again being the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 155August 10, 2020 11:10 PM

Like this guy:

“Minneapolis police say 'Umbrella Man' was a white supremacist trying to incite George Floyd rioting”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 10, 2020 11:17 PM

All the trolls here are part of the hoax, too. Agitators are exploiting the natural stupidity of bigots and other conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 157August 10, 2020 11:18 PM

The Uhaul thing gives it away. This is how they do politics in foreign countries. The whole thing was staged.

They police did at least act correctly in letting the people know after the face that it was a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 158August 10, 2020 11:22 PM

Why do you think they chose Chicago to pull this stunt. It fits the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 159August 10, 2020 11:23 PM

The looters were black, though. They weren't crisis actors or whatever you call it. All the news footage from Chicago shows black people rioting and looting yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 160August 10, 2020 11:38 PM

But they were set up by Russian trolls online

by Anonymousreply 161August 10, 2020 11:44 PM

So first it didn't happen, and the news is fake. Then it turns out there are quite a few DLers from Chicago who can confirm it's real, and a couple guys saw it in person.

Now, it's secret Republican operatives somehow hypnotizing people. Everyone was sitting at home sewing masks with their grandma before the alt right started scurrilous rumors of police brutality- which, presumably, if they had been true would have been a perfectly fine justification for The Chicago Purge.

We're going to get a DLer who participated coming in to shut that down too, next. Watch 😂

by Anonymousreply 162August 10, 2020 11:46 PM

I was there. It was seduced by smooth online flattery to meet up for a hook up outside Besr Buy on the Magnificent Mile. When I showed up, he was there with his pants pulled down. He motioned to me to come over to where he was standing. I did. Then he threw a brick through the window and yelled “For Boris!”

Next thing I knew, I woke up at home with a bunch of iPhone accessories. And I’m an Android guy!

by Anonymousreply 163August 10, 2020 11:52 PM

Alt-right white supremacists looting and rioting in Chicago....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 10, 2020 11:57 PM

Any MAGA hats?

by Anonymousreply 165August 10, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote] People were seen running out of a PNC Bank, its windows smashed

A bank? Did they think there would be money on shelves like Gucci purses?

by Anonymousreply 166August 11, 2020 12:07 AM

Well, if these alt-right Russian troll Boris and Natasha types can just snap their fingers and provoke people to get up, rent U-Hauls, break windows, and riot all night, why bother with these half-measures? Surely they could just snap their fingers and send all of them to vote R in November! Wouldn't that be simpler? If Chicago goes red, Illinois will go for Trump. And just getting to a polling place is a lot less of an ask than rioting strenuously all night amidst the broken glass and thrown concrete chunks.

by Anonymousreply 167August 11, 2020 12:14 AM

So this turned out to be a hoax? This seems like a familiar pattern now.

Let’s not fall for it so easy next time.

by Anonymousreply 168August 11, 2020 12:25 AM

It could just have easily been antifi or other leftist sending the false info over social media. Nothing in the news reports say the authorities know who did it. My money is on the left. Not BLM, but leftists who are exploiting them and their grievances.

by Anonymousreply 169August 11, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]So this turned out to be a hoax?

It did? You mean it didn't happen?

by Anonymousreply 170August 11, 2020 12:30 AM

It was clearly done to discredit BLM and the gangs involved made a bunch of money. Watch Trump try to send the Portland NKVD here by the end of the week. And all the Libertarians and all the Live Free or Die! right wingers will cheer as he does so, the phony twats....

by Anonymousreply 171August 11, 2020 12:33 AM

R171 It's not clear to anybody but you. Maybe it's turning out that BLM causes problems rather than solves them? Where do their donations go, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 172August 11, 2020 12:35 AM

No, it's the left unable to control itself and liberals unable to reign in the left. Trump will exploit it tho.

by Anonymousreply 173August 11, 2020 12:36 AM

R171 You've reached critical mass with respect to delusion.

by Anonymousreply 174August 11, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] The looters were black, though. They weren't crisis actors or whatever you call it. All the news footage from Chicago shows black people rioting and looting yesterday.

[quote] But they were set up by Russian trolls online.

OK. But, they still participated. They didn’t go down to hold a protest, they went down to willingly loot businesses. In fact it looks as if that’s all they did. Did anyone in the black community say the reported police brutality was a false narrative? Granted, it is easy to believe the worst about the police, and hard to harness a mob once the fuse is lit and things begin to happen quickly. Nevertheless, this should demonstrate that there needs to be some type of community verification before unleashing thousands of people. The reports today of the looting only fed into the narrative that this was BLM run amok — precisely what the reich-wing was hoping would happen. But again, the looters were unfortunately more than willing to join in.

by Anonymousreply 175August 11, 2020 12:46 AM

There needs to be a government program to help any innocent or decent people in Chicago to escape to other states.

by Anonymousreply 176August 11, 2020 12:52 AM

Yeah, I'm not really buying the narrative that the individuals involved in this looting were heartbroken and grief-stricken at another police shooting. I didn't see any tear-streaked faces. It doesn't look like they're grieving and honoring the fallen. It kinda looks like -- well, it looks like they're just criminals smashing and grabbing, just because they can, and no one in the whole state of Illinois dares to stop them. And they know that.

by Anonymousreply 177August 11, 2020 12:54 AM

If a few thousand alt right trolls have this much power, can you imagine the power being exercised by the media when they inaccurately report on stories?

by Anonymousreply 178August 11, 2020 1:09 AM

The looters were Russians in blackface

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 11, 2020 1:20 AM

We're all Chicago now, folks.

by Anonymousreply 180August 11, 2020 1:37 AM

No, most of the country is not like Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 181August 11, 2020 1:47 AM

So every time anyone hears a rumor about police brutality, it’s open season on stores? This is the level of toddler temper tantrums but with guns and cars.

by Anonymousreply 182August 11, 2020 1:49 AM

Grandpa was right, the country was going to go to "Hell in a hand basket" whatever the fuck that means.

by Anonymousreply 183August 11, 2020 1:53 AM

Chicago resident here. So, after pretty much of a free-for-all overnight at Dior, Bloomingdales, Gucci, etc. the city has announced that bridges will be up and a curfew (Yet not a curfew) will be in place overnight to prevent looting. Great. Very helpful. Except no one is looting tonight dumbass, they are all at home photographing their loot and updating their eBay sales listings.

by Anonymousreply 184August 11, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote] I suspect if jobs could be created that pay well, many of these people wouldn't want to work anyway.

Yes, because black people are lazy.

by Anonymousreply 185August 11, 2020 1:58 AM

The racism here is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 186August 11, 2020 2:01 AM

How cum dat bulldagger mayor ain doin Jack?

by Anonymousreply 187August 11, 2020 2:02 AM

"So every time anyone hears a rumor about police brutality, it’s open season on stores? This is the level of toddler temper tantrums but with guns and cars."

This is true. Any excuse to loot and commit arson and destroy property. Any excuse at all.

by Anonymousreply 188August 11, 2020 2:20 AM

But BLACK PEOPLE looted the stores last night.

How is acknowledging reality disgusting r186

by Anonymousreply 189August 11, 2020 2:22 AM

A police shooting of a 20-year-old who fired first somehow got relayed to people on the south and west sides as the shooting of an unarmed 15-year-old. There was a confrontation between police and residents in Englewood where the shooting took place, and police were asked to leave and they did.

There has been additional rockthrowing and looting today on the west side this afternoon. Right now there's a demonstration/confrontation in front of the police station in the south loop. The loop itself is sealed up--bridges up, cta service shut down, highways closed, checkpoints for entry. BLM has acted as apologists and faulted Lori Lightfoot on her handling of the looting.

No one knows who orchestrated last night's events. Undoubtedly, trolls on the right and Russian bots are trying to spin this on social media.

Chicago also had a horrible storm this afternoon and hundreds of trees are downed throughout the city and suburbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 11, 2020 2:25 AM

You don’t see white, Latinos, or Asians people looting Michigan Avenue last night.

What makes black people so susceptible to Russian mind control ?

by Anonymousreply 191August 11, 2020 2:32 AM

Oh, R191, that's classified! It's a top-seekrit formula to control ONLY the minds of innocent, law abiding black people, cooked up right in the Kremlin's lab by Vlad Putin himself! If I told you, I'd have to kill you!

Suffice it to say it works SUPER well, like all the other seekrit Rooski mind control schemes to make black people look bad!

by Anonymousreply 192August 11, 2020 2:37 AM

R187: Because Jack has a dick, Redneck Rose.

R184: There were over 100 arrests. There won't be much loot counting. If the police would get off their lazy asses, stop this go slow, and start SOLVING and CLEARING crimes, we would all be better off. But they want thier blue cocks sucked, always and often, so they are pulling their tantrum, the pigs.

by Anonymousreply 193August 11, 2020 2:39 AM

R193 They're employees of the city, they only have as many officers on the street as the city is willing to pay for. You want all these hundreds cases solved carefully? Outside help will be needed. MORE funding will be needed. Cops are regular people working a job, they aren't some bizarre tribe.

You're like the kindergarteners who think their teachers live at their school.

by Anonymousreply 194August 11, 2020 2:45 AM

In June, Alderman Lopez told Mayor Lightfoot, "Fuck you, then!" (Lightfoot started with the insults.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 11, 2020 2:57 AM

These people are lucky they're in the US. In many other countries, this kind of thing isn't tolerated at all.

by Anonymousreply 196August 11, 2020 3:01 AM

Alderman Lopez's husband could be found on Grndr. The guy is a ho. He use to be a flight attendant or something. I fucked around with him once.

by Anonymousreply 197August 11, 2020 3:02 AM

Stunning and brave

by Anonymousreply 198August 11, 2020 3:07 AM

Night 2 is already underway, Chicagoans on Twitter are following the CPD police scanner like it's a baseball game.

Portillo's reportedly got looted an hour ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 11, 2020 3:15 AM

So happy I left. I didn’t predict rona but I had feeling shit like this would happen there.

by Anonymousreply 200August 11, 2020 3:21 AM

Gotta love R197, who calls someone a “ho” for being on Grindr, then admits he “fucked around” with him once. No doubt after a blind date set up by a friend from church, uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 201August 11, 2020 3:24 AM

R201 well suck me and take me to church!

by Anonymousreply 202August 11, 2020 3:25 AM

R201, I'm not married bro. Unlike, Alderman Lopez of the 15th ward and his weird ass hus-weirdo. I'm single and ready to mingle. When I decide to settle down I won't go around his back and continue with the Grndr habit.

by Anonymousreply 203August 11, 2020 3:27 AM

Ms Lightfoot should call up all the u hauls in town and get the names of the renters. You have to show a driver license.

by Anonymousreply 204August 11, 2020 3:31 AM

BLM has a police scanner account where they track road blockades and police presence. Why are they assisting looters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 11, 2020 3:38 AM

Im sorry,but this is unacceptable behavior. Kill a couple of dozen of them and I guarantee you wont have this problem. Stack those dead thieves up like cordwood and leave them as an example. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

by Anonymousreply 206August 11, 2020 3:39 AM

R206 I mean, you could just arrest people too.

by Anonymousreply 207August 11, 2020 3:40 AM

R207, A lot of tubbos get off on threat behavior.

by Anonymousreply 208August 11, 2020 3:43 AM

In the old days that was a deterrent R207 ,but they know they can have 20 felonies on record and be out in 2 years. Nope,the message has to be harsh enough to scare the shit out of future antics. Believe me,I never thought Id feel that way but we cant function as a society with the fear of this kind of craphanging over our heads every time a black person gets arrested. Ridiculous !

by Anonymousreply 209August 11, 2020 3:45 AM

r184 so should they just do nothing? I like the curfew and blocked streets. No one needs to be in the Loop at night, especially since COVID made most jobs in the Loop remote. You can't on the one hand demonize the city for not doing enough, then chastise them for putting in place preventative measures to avoid a repeat of last night.

by Anonymousreply 210August 11, 2020 3:46 AM

I mean a big fat lazy white guy that thinks he's owed something is the head of the country R209. What kind of example is that setting for the poor black people of this country?

by Anonymousreply 211August 11, 2020 3:54 AM

The Chicago DA was elected because she promised not to prosecute people. She said the people usually prosecuted were “her people”. This is what you get Chicago. Keep electing “progressives” who want to throw out the law book.

by Anonymousreply 212August 11, 2020 3:56 AM

Trump passed a 1.5 trillion dollar tax cut in his first year office. It was all given to rich folks. These poor blacks just want a piece of luxury.

by Anonymousreply 213August 11, 2020 4:04 AM

R210 No, they should absolutely do something, but they keep doing something the day after all hell breaks loose. I would have thought there would be better ways to monitor a couple hundred people and cars suddenly showing up downtown at 2:30 a.m. Monday morning.

by Anonymousreply 214August 11, 2020 4:18 AM

Fire hose the looters.

They will be swept into the gutter where they belong.

by Anonymousreply 215August 11, 2020 6:26 AM

F&F OP - fucking MAGAt.

by Anonymousreply 216August 11, 2020 6:32 AM

What is “MAGAt”?

by Anonymousreply 217August 11, 2020 9:58 AM

R217 Drivel....spittle.....something ejected from the mouth when a person with TDS tries to speak.

by Anonymousreply 218August 11, 2020 10:19 AM

I hate American ghetto culture. Ghetto lived shouldn’t matter to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 219August 11, 2020 12:02 PM

The crowd oustide Portillo's was filmed by a neighbor after they had moved on to a Walgreen's:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 11, 2020 12:27 PM

The coordinated looting that overwhelmed police and left huge swaths of downtown and the Near North Side ransacked threatens to turn Chicago into pre-renaissance Detroit.

Businesses that survived the stay-at-home shutdown and sustained heavy losses during the looting in late May triggered by the death of George Floyd may be reluctant to rebuild for fear they won’t be protected. Even if they do, customers may not feel safe shopping, dining or going to the theater downtown.

“There’s a limit to how many times retailers are willing to be kicked. … It will be difficult after retailers who have invested millions in reopening to have to do it again. There has to be a lot of confidence that they can be protected and, so far, that confidence is lacking,” said Rob Karr, president of the Illinois Retail Merchants Association.

“There has to be a long-term plan for protection. Retail is the largest generator of revenue …through the sales tax. As goes retail, so goes government finances.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 11, 2020 12:35 PM

We have to start destroying property of rich blacks- Oprah, Beyoncé, rappers, basketball players. Then maybe they’ll start speaking up against the worst of their people.

by Anonymousreply 222August 11, 2020 12:37 PM

it's "just property" .

by Anonymousreply 223August 11, 2020 12:41 PM

None of this is really happening unless MSNBC reports it.

by Anonymousreply 224August 11, 2020 12:44 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 11, 2020 12:52 PM

R222, whites have no idea exactly how tribal blacks are, They always support their own, even when their own are burning their world down around their ears. It's never the fault of another black individual, or black culture -- it's whitey's fault. Or some other villain.

Of course, they are encouraged in this by white "progressives," who seem very happy with a permanent black underclass that is effectively treated politically like retarded children -- "Oh, I know they're destructive, but they can't help it, poor dears. It's just how they are."

by Anonymousreply 226August 11, 2020 12:52 PM

Mayor Lightfoot looks like she has cancer or something - what is up with those dark circles around her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2020 12:58 PM

She looks like Beetlejuice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2020 1:11 PM

So is this the new normal? It will just keep happening over and over?

by Anonymousreply 229August 11, 2020 1:22 PM

Yes r229

by Anonymousreply 230August 11, 2020 1:26 PM

If I had a store in Chicago, I would night watch it with a shotgun

by Anonymousreply 231August 11, 2020 1:33 PM

r212 is correct. This new crime epidemic will NOT lead to Trump winning--in this election covid is king--but when Biden gets in there this country needs to have an actual, serious, ADULT conversation on race. Before it starts, everyone in the party who supported this rioting and looting needs to be punched in the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 11, 2020 1:36 PM

Retailers in Chicago took a much bigger hit when the white mayor Daley privatized parking garages; and then parking meters, allowing those companies to quadruple charges and essentially ending suburbanites shopping in the city. Did they riot? Did they say they would close down or leave?

by Anonymousreply 233August 11, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote]but when Biden gets in there this country needs to have an actual, serious, ADULT conversation on race.

No one in the Dem party wants to discuss entrenched bigotry, racism and misogyny in the Black community, and how the Dems have fostered and promoted it. Dems have spent far too many decades treating Blacks like defective children who must be coddled, protected and excused. For the Dems to have a "serious, ADULT conversation on race", they will have to close their ears to the unending cacophony of "RACISTS". A cacophony Dems were instrumental in creating.

by Anonymousreply 234August 11, 2020 1:45 PM

You sound like a white-supremacist.

by Anonymousreply 235August 11, 2020 1:49 PM

And R235, dear R232, is why the US and the Democratic party CANNOT and WILL NOT ever have a serious discussion about race.

Because if you say anything even remotely negative about "the black community," the "YOU'RE A LITERAL NAZI" accusations come flying fast 'n' furious.

The only way -- the ONLY way -- that we can ever have a serious, grownup conversation about race and crime, race and poverty, etc, is for white people to stop shriveling into trembling, weeping balls of guilt as soon as someone accuses them of racism. That's how these conversations are always shut down instantly. "You're a RACIST" -- and presto, the guilt and fear grips the white person's heart. The conversation becomes about white racism, and how all whites are guilty of it, and black people would be living in a peace and love filled paradise if not for evil whitey, ACAB, etc.

But like all sick, symbiotic relationships, this familiar dance benefits both parties. It benefits blacks because it allows them to do anything, individually and en masse, without ever accepting responsibility. It allows them to feel victimized while at the same time acting as vicious predators in their own community.

And for "progressives," it gives them the warm, paternalistic feeling of superiority. First, because in order to "oppress" someone you must be in a superior position in the first place. Second, because they get to take the role of a wise, but permissive parent who is so saintly they can forgive anything. They see themselves as above the rabble, one of the rare "good ones" in a sea of evil white plantation massas, forever oppressing. It makes their mussies/pussies tingle with righteousness.

I'm not optimistic about any of this changing, but who knows? Stranger things happen every day.

by Anonymousreply 236August 11, 2020 2:05 PM

Don't use the word mussy. Agree with you on everything else

by Anonymousreply 237August 11, 2020 2:09 PM

Also don’t use “tingle”

by Anonymousreply 238August 11, 2020 2:11 PM

Oh, thank you for your lecture, R236.

Why, oh why, with your tremendous knowledge and wisdom, are you dwelling amongst us mere mortals here, when you could be out spewing your bullshit to people who actually care what an unrepentant, self-important gas bag may have to say.

by Anonymousreply 239August 11, 2020 2:14 PM

And don't use the word "optimistic".

by Anonymousreply 240August 11, 2020 2:14 PM

Excellent post R236.

by Anonymousreply 241August 11, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]when you could be out spewing your bullshit to people who actually care what an unrepentant, self-important gas bag may have to say.

R239 proving yet again that when you have no response to the message, spew juvenile pejorative at the messenger.

by Anonymousreply 242August 11, 2020 2:16 PM

Criminal Lives Don’t Matter

by Anonymousreply 243August 11, 2020 2:19 PM

Is R3 still claiming everything is "just fine?"

by Anonymousreply 244August 11, 2020 2:21 PM

You said absolutely nothing of any substance, R236. You concocted a word salad in which you spouted your opinions as gospel truths. You spewed verbal diarrhea, patting yourself on the back the entire time for your astute, profound, deep and cogent "analysis" of the world as you see it.

"The only way -- the ONLY way."

Those six words says all we need to know about you.

by Anonymousreply 245August 11, 2020 2:24 PM

When did this thread turn into a circle jerk for bigots?

by Anonymousreply 246August 11, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote] When did this thread turn into a circle jerk for bigots?

When the same poster decided to start talking to itself.

by Anonymousreply 247August 11, 2020 2:41 PM

Meanwhile, black billionaire lesbian Oprah Racist Winfrey thinks it is her privilege to lecture White people about White privilege and Whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 248August 11, 2020 2:46 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 11, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote]White peoples are going to flee in droves.

That appears to be the goal. It's too early to see how effective it'll be, but the latest unrest will certainly help.

by Anonymousreply 250August 11, 2020 3:16 PM

I’d flee in a heartbeat if I could. But with coronavirus going on it’s best to keep my job since I have job security (for now) in my industry.

I keep telling my husband to look into a corporate transfer though to a different state. He’s still thinking I’m being a big MARY! about it all but I refuse to buy property in this town with all that’s going on. Thank god I talked him out of pushing forward with a purchase last year.

Honestly I’d rather just hoard away 75k and flee to the Philippines or something. I’d rather live in a brazenly corrupt, LOW cost of living place that actually prosecutes criminals. Bonus: there isn’t some anti-white fervor fueled by a hostile media.

by Anonymousreply 251August 11, 2020 3:18 PM

MARY ^

by Anonymousreply 252August 11, 2020 3:22 PM

We really are getting to 1920s-Germany levels of stress, political chaos and impotence. When Democracy and a radically left-leaning press is widely viewed as the problem, we all in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 253August 11, 2020 3:24 PM

Economic collapse and it's a trifecta.

by Anonymousreply 254August 11, 2020 3:40 PM

"I’d rather live in a brazenly corrupt, LOW cost of living place that actually prosecutes criminals."

You mean criminals like homosexuals, like you and you queeny husbear, R251?

by Anonymousreply 255August 11, 2020 3:53 PM

R249....not just White folks, anyone who is not black and can afford to move will get out ASAP, especially if they have children. Race issues and racial tension is no longer just about abd between Whites and blacks and hasn't been for 20 - 30 years. The US population has gotten very diverse since 1965.

by Anonymousreply 256August 11, 2020 3:58 PM

Unfortunately there is a small but vocal contingent in the BLM movement who does justify looting as a form of reparations. A friend of mine, an Asian self-identified Marxist , has been saying it for the past few years and each time rioting/ looting occurs it seems to solidify her views on it even more. The funny thing is her parents were originally from China and her father is a professor in California. Her parents own a second home where she lives rent free while she goes to protests.

So yes, I’ve heard from her and her friends before that looting is justified as unofficial reparation and it doesn’t hurt business owners because they have insurance. I once had a debate with her about her rationale. That same rationale could be used to justify looting from private homes because homeowners have insurance too. What about her parents’ homes one of which she’s living in, what about if her fellow BLM supporters decide to loot the homes? After all her family is well off and the homes are insured? She then tried to spin it like there was a difference between private businesses and residences, and other bullshit spins that make zero sense.

This is what we’re dealing with today. You have extremely left leaning and vocal people within the movement who believe looting to be justified. Then the complicit media who go out of its way to underreport, misreport, or not report at all. The same media who cheered Trump and Trumptards in 2016 because they made for good ratings and clicks.

by Anonymousreply 257August 11, 2020 4:15 PM

I think R257 is what is commonly referred to as "anecdotal evidence."

Very, very, very, very anecdotal evidence.

by Anonymousreply 258August 11, 2020 4:27 PM

I understand the thought behind it but looting dilutes the cause. It isn't 'good trouble.'

by Anonymousreply 259August 11, 2020 4:33 PM

OK, R258, here's an article from yesterday's Chicago Sun-Times. You might find this less "anecdotal."

A few relevant sections:

[quote]Though [CPD Supt. David] Brown characterized the looting as “pure criminality,” Black Lives Matter Chicago said those involved were actually protesting.

[quote] “Over the past few months, too many people — disproportionately Black and Brown — have lost their jobs, lost their income, lost their homes, and lost their lives as the city has done nothing and the Chicago elite have profited,” the group’s statement reads. “When protesters attack high-end retail stores that are owned by the wealthy and service the wealthy, [bold]that is not ‘our’ city and has never been meant for us.[/bold]”

[quote]At the demonstration later Monday, protesters held a sign that read, [bold]“Our futures have been looted from us ... loot back.[/bold]”

[quote] Ariel Atkins, 29, of the North Side, said [bold]looters should take “anything they want to take” as “reparations”[/bold] as about dozens of officers watched.

[quote] “I don’t care if somebody decides to loot a Gucci, or a Macy’s, or a Nike, because that makes sure that that person eats, that makes sure that that person has clothes, that makes sure that that person can make some kind of money because this city obviously doesn’t care about them,” Atkins said.

[quote]Atkins also refused to believe the police version of the shooting Sunday in the 5700 block of South Racine. “Police lie,” Atkins said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260August 11, 2020 4:42 PM

R260, you can stomp your size 12 fuck me pumps until you keel over and die, you can threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue, you can shout in all of your self-righteous wrath and fury, but that still doesn't mean I have to buy any of the crap you're so desperately try to sell, which is passing off your opinion as hard facts.

by Anonymousreply 261August 11, 2020 5:01 PM

I think we need to create a space where we can say that racism and police brutality are evil but Chicago's BLM chapter is a bunch of incompetent, destructive idiots.

by Anonymousreply 262August 11, 2020 5:20 PM

The local media is not deliberately trying to underreport anything. They're understaffed, under huge economic pressure and under siege.

Yes, there are people who condone looting. Read the Chicago BLM press release. . Legendary lesbian journalist and publisher Tracy Baim tweeted how appalled she was that the bridges around the loop were up. If anyone sincerely believes this, please contact your BLM chapter and donate your house, car, bank accounts and investment portfolio. Then your money is where your mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 263August 11, 2020 5:31 PM

Even Jesse Jackson has condemned the looting.

And, sorry, but a stolen pair of Gucci shoes is not “reparations.” That’s a nonsensical after-the-fact attempt to justify outright theft.

A strong argument exists for some type of community reparations in the form of grants to address deficits in education, housing, and employment in an attempt to ameliorate the effects of centuries of institutional racism. But this would have to be part of a larger conversation that aims to root out systemic problems that have led us to where we are.

No one has the right to take matters into their own hands and decide who is giving them “reparations” in the form of free stuff that they stole.

by Anonymousreply 264August 11, 2020 6:19 PM

Yes, R255. The Philippines, where you can be arrested and executed for being gay. 🙄

I’d rather walk around Divisoria in Tondo with my husband than Ogden Park in Englewood.

by Anonymousreply 265August 11, 2020 7:08 PM

People, this is about more than race. This is truly a class issue. If there were jobs careers and opportunities available you would not see people looting and rioting. We are in desperate times.

by Anonymousreply 266August 11, 2020 8:03 PM

How many voters are on the fence right now and are thinking, well I guess I vote for the law and order candidate

by Anonymousreply 267August 11, 2020 8:05 PM

R267 A Silent Majority.

by Anonymousreply 268August 11, 2020 8:08 PM

Bullshit R266. You don’t see this garbage happening in Rural Alaska or near the Indian Reservations. Let’s talk about real poverty.

You also don’t see even the undocumented slave underclass doing this.

by Anonymousreply 269August 11, 2020 8:11 PM

r269, you also don't have wealthy people in rural Alaska or Indian reservations to demonstrate a point to. In urban areas you do.

by Anonymousreply 270August 11, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote]If there were jobs careers and opportunities available you would not see people looting and rioting.

You are saying that if jobs and opportunities were just handed to people on a silver platter that would convince them to start working for a living and striving to make something of themselves?

by Anonymousreply 271August 11, 2020 8:15 PM

Okay. And all the limousine liberals happy to look away as Lupita the cleaning lady gets slave wages to clean their expensive homes?

Don’t see a rise in undocumented latinos looting or smashing the vile (yet enlightened and BLM-sympathetic) bourgeoisie. And they would have a damn good reason to if you ask me.

Yeah it’s a fucking class problem: a lack of it. It’s not because those poor blacks cant get jobs. GTFOH.

by Anonymousreply 272August 11, 2020 8:18 PM

THAT'S "BOTH SIDES'ISM" R267! A LAW AND ORDER CANDIDATE AND A CHAOS CANDIDATE! THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

by Anonymousreply 273August 11, 2020 8:20 PM

[R272] I've been thinking the same thing, driving around. The more wealthy the neighborhood, the more prevalent BLM signs and also the ones that say “In this house we believe....” And these areas are also chock a block with trucks and cars of landscapers and maids. I know they aren’t paid a living wage. Hypocrisy at its finest. I’ve wondered if the signs are put up to mark the families “safe” from burglary. But there is so little crime in these places, that the objective must be to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak. Those signs are expensive, too. I looked up the pricing and was trying to figure out where exactly the profits go, but I’m still not sure.

by Anonymousreply 274August 11, 2020 8:31 PM

"well I guess I vote for the law and order candidate."

Which sure as hell won't be Donald J. Trump, the man who has broken more laws and orders in his lifetime than Al Capone.

That's why I call bullshit on these fucking racists hiding behind their "law and order" screeds. If you vote for DJT and the Republicans, you're not voting for law and order. Or you're voting for law and order that applies only to minorities and the poor, not entitled white people.

by Anonymousreply 275August 11, 2020 8:37 PM

R274, these are the same bleating fraus who wring their hands over "how segregated the schools are" and how they very, very badly want to send little Oliver and Wren to a "diverse" school. Then they pull every string, including hiring expensive consultants, audition coaches, and test prep teachers, and even literally moving to a different school district -- all to get Oliver and Wren into the super-ultra-white, most exclusive, least "diverse" public schools.

Then they go right back to their handwringing about "Oliver's school's not diverse enough" and slapping up "In this house we believe" stickers in their windows.

by Anonymousreply 276August 11, 2020 8:39 PM

[R276] Oh I know! In my town they’re trying to change the name of the majority white high school from the name of a former president to the name of an obscure civil rights worker. It’s just self-aggrandizement. At the rate we’re going, we’re going to have the same problems twenty years from now, but at least the institutions will be named after Black people!

by Anonymousreply 277August 11, 2020 9:01 PM

You can tell R274/R276 ain't got a pot to piss in.

Their resentment and envy of people with more money than them comes shining through.

And their blatant attempts to scapegoat anyone or anything for their pitiful lot in life is laughable. No wonder dirtballs like Trump and Hitler rise to power: pat them on the back, promise them the world, give them jack shit, then shit all over them.

by Anonymousreply 278August 11, 2020 9:03 PM

This shit is not doing black people any favors.

by Anonymousreply 279August 11, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote]You are saying that if jobs and opportunities were just handed to people on a silver platter that would convince them to start working for a living and striving to make something of themselves?

by Anonymousreply 280August 11, 2020 9:10 PM

[quote]You are saying that if jobs and opportunities were just handed to people on a silver platter that would convince them to start working for a living and striving to make something of themselves?

by Anonymousreply 281August 11, 2020 9:10 PM

Spotted the "progressive" Frau at R278! Hello, dear! How are you doing in your search for the perfect public school for Atticus and Clementine? It was so adorable the way little Clementine chalked "Black Lives Matter" in front of your brownstone so all your neighbors could see it and comment approvingly! I'm sure it was entirely her idea, the precocious little darling!

by Anonymousreply 282August 11, 2020 9:22 PM

Keep seething, R282.

So sorry your life is nothing but cheap gin and a lots and lots of regret.

by Anonymousreply 283August 11, 2020 9:31 PM

She reached the “compare everything to Hitler” point of wine o’ clock.

by Anonymousreply 284August 11, 2020 9:33 PM

R274, you raise an interesting point about the extremely privileged being far more likely to use these "I'm so gung-ho progressive" types of signs in their window. In my neighborhood, it's extremely common to see these signs in the windows of brownstones worth 3 or 4 million. And if you keep walking till you get to the neighborhoods that house the working class, the poor, the immigrants, you can go a mile without seeing a single one.

I think some of the motive is what you suggested -- trying to say, "We're good people! Don't target us!" Almost like smearing the lamb's blood over the door in the old testament so that the Angel of Death will pass over your house and not take vengeance.

I think there's a bit of "Havel's Greengrocer" auto-pilot in there too. For those not familiar with the term, I've linked one good explanation below. Here's an excerpt:

[quote] [Vaclav] Havel writes about a greengrocer who lives under a totalitarian regime in communist Czechoslovakia. He “places in his window, among the onions and carrots, the slogan: ‘Workers of the world, unite!’” He does it not because he agrees with the slogan but “simply because it has been done that way for years, because everyone does it, because that is the way it has to be. If he were to refuse, there could be trouble…he does it because these things must be done if one is to get along in life.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285August 11, 2020 9:55 PM

[R285] Thank you! I’ve been turning this over in my mind for weeks, and you have provided some great insight. It certainly seems to be almost an instinctive, protective reaction to current events. I did go to a few marches, and as far as I could see, this demographic wasn’t represented there. So the signs are within their comfort zone. Americans really like signs in general, though. And flags.

by Anonymousreply 286August 11, 2020 10:26 PM

Yep r278 they are the same bitches who complain about people like Bezos and stamp their feet that they wont buy anything on Amazon or any products made in China.

by Anonymousreply 287August 11, 2020 10:35 PM

What woke, sjw white fools need to hear. They are certainly deaf and dumb to their own hypocrisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 11, 2020 10:35 PM

Lots of people in my neighborhood have BLM signs and it's not a talisman to ward off evil. They believe in it. They don't want another person to meet the fate of George Floyd or for a family of little girls to be handcuffed and thrown on the pavement because their car has the same license plates as a stolen motorcycle from another state. Do they want our police defunded or to have more resources allocated to blighted communities? I have no idea. Do they feel good about what went down in the loop the other night? I doubt it. If it had been pegged to police brutality, it might have been justifiable but it wasn't. Protests don't start in the middle of night with car caravans and boxes of rocks. The subsequent BLM protests are an attempt to bless an action that very few people are okay with.

by Anonymousreply 289August 11, 2020 10:37 PM

I'm sure that all these riots have Donald Trump chuckling with mirth. Boy, is he going to make use of this shit in his campaign!

by Anonymousreply 290August 11, 2020 11:16 PM

I’m sure that’s true, R290. He’ll try claim that these are all in Democratically run cities. However, this may be a somewhat tricky issue for the Repukes to navigate because these things are happening on his watch. And, his ham-handed, fascist response in Portland made matters worse. So, it is not a neat and clean argument for him.

by Anonymousreply 291August 11, 2020 11:30 PM

This was obvious foreign psy ops to discredit BLM and so division to tile the election to Trump.

Again. And Boris is all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 292August 11, 2020 11:43 PM

They're already pivoting slightly R290 & R291. They are trying to make her the scary Black Woman Liberal

[quote] The last thing we need is for our country to be any more like San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 12, 2020 12:00 AM

JoeMyGod @JoeMyGod

Replying to @Jim_Jordan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 12, 2020 12:02 AM

i don't think even Melania wants to fuck Trump and she is paid handsomely to do it, perhaps once a year on his birthday.

by Anonymousreply 295August 12, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote]This was obvious foreign psy ops to discredit BLM and so division to tile the election to Trump.

The looters were Russians in blackface!

by Anonymousreply 296August 12, 2020 12:23 AM

Declare martial law,mow down a few dozen and leave their asses laying in piles,and I promise you wont see nary a fucking looter ever again.

by Anonymousreply 297August 12, 2020 12:27 AM

Are people like r292 serious or is this some joke that I'm missing?

by Anonymousreply 298August 12, 2020 12:47 AM

I keep reading about Democrat-run cities. Which big cities are run by Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 299August 12, 2020 12:50 AM

San Diego, Jacksonville, Fort Worth, El Paso, Oklahoma City, Fresno, Omaha, Colorado Springs, Tulsa, Arlington, Miami.

by Anonymousreply 300August 12, 2020 12:57 AM

Class inequality in the US is now worse than it was in France before the French Revolution, you know the one with the cake eating and head chopping off.

by Anonymousreply 301August 12, 2020 1:53 AM

Thanks, r300.

by Anonymousreply 302August 12, 2020 1:58 AM

"Class inequality in the US is now worse than it was in France before the French Revolution, you know the one with the cake eating and head chopping off."

BullSHIT. Nobody is starving in the U.S. You must be an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 303August 12, 2020 2:34 AM

[quote] BullSHIT. Nobody is starving in the U.S. You must be an idiot.

This statement is not just wrong.

It is also exceptionally dangerous and deeply offensive.

by Anonymousreply 304August 12, 2020 2:37 AM

I didn't say starvation was the cause you, blithering nitwit, R303.

by Anonymousreply 305August 12, 2020 2:51 AM

You don't convince people to defund the police by initiating a crime wave. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 306August 12, 2020 5:52 AM

Re: Reparations. If any former slaves were still living, I'd be the first to support reparations but my god how many generations has it been? It's been far, far too long to seriously consider giving money or property or whatever to the 5x great-grandchildren of former slaves.

If we're going to go back that far can I get reparations from the British for the Irish potato famine, or the Turks because the Ottomans slaughtered some of my Greek ancestors? How far back can we go?

by Anonymousreply 307August 12, 2020 6:04 AM

R306 Right? Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 308August 12, 2020 6:42 AM

My favorite thing to do with SJWs who preach at me is to check their Instagram feeds--their very white Instagram feeds. Basically, the louder the preaching, the less likely they are to actually deal with Black communities, working-class whites or poor people of any persuasion who aren't cleaning their houses. Their view of race and inequality is simplistic--and plays into the same racist framework used by Trump and his goons. They judge people by skin tones not by action and thought. I've seen them go after Black people who don't toe the line (and I don't mean Candace Owens types--just Black people who don't see themselves as perennial victims in need of special treatment all the time) and they don't get why it's a problem.

There's something very shallow about all of it--and when their attention is grabbed by something else, all the ongoing issues with race in this country will still be there but they won't be paying attention. It's very much like the late 1960s.

I just hope they remember to vote for Biden before they get distracted by the next cool thing.

by Anonymousreply 309August 12, 2020 8:43 AM

"I didn't say starvation was the cause you, blithering nitwit."

If you think what's going on in the US is akin to what on during the French Revolution, it is YOU who are the blithering nitwit. You are one dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 310August 12, 2020 8:55 PM

Yes, both the US and pre-revolutionary France show massive social inequality, and the US has the worse of it. It's unfortunate that you get so angry when objective reality doesn't fit your political narrative.

by Anonymousreply 311August 12, 2020 9:01 PM

Black folks are far from the only ones dealing with uncertainty about jobs and their own economic future. Not these days.

by Anonymousreply 312August 14, 2020 10:08 PM

To be honest, is this pretty much business as usual in Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 313August 14, 2020 10:11 PM

The Orange It has been fixated on NYC all day today, starting with the NYPost front page this morning, visiting his brother tonight and then addressing the NYPBA. I have a sinking feeling something is going to pop off here this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 314August 14, 2020 10:25 PM

"Declare martial law,mow down a few dozen and leave their asses laying in piles,and I promise you wont see nary a fucking looter ever again."

Funny, that's exactly the way I feel about the Trump crime family and the entire Republican Party.

Line the fuckers up on the National Mall, mow 'em down and let their bodies rot in the hot, humid atmosphere of DC in August.

by Anonymousreply 315August 14, 2020 10:26 PM

You'll be getting a visit from the Feds with that comment, R315. No joke.

by Anonymousreply 316August 14, 2020 11:26 PM

R303/ R310 You are making yourself an absolute fool if you're trying to deny there's not a serious pronlem with wealth disparity. You're either extremely privileged and unaware, or ignorant.

40% of *working* Americans (those with jobs, so not the elderly, disabled, homeless, etc.) Make 18k or less annually. The 08' recession saw the top 20% grow their wealth, while 80% were losing their financial stability. The wealthy take advantage of these financial meltdowns. To have the same buying power now as we did in the 70s, minimum wage would need to be $25 an hour.

You can start by explaining how we have our first ever TRILLIONAIRE during a global pandemic, with 40 million Americans suddenly out of work. Let's talk about the wealthy stalling with virus information, so they could sell stocks in time, which they'll buy back at an extreme discount, making them more wealthy.

We never even recovered from 08'. Jobs were replaced with shit -- service industry, the unemployed going on disability, or whatever social programs they could, while others fell off the map because no unemployment insurance, means they're no longer accounted for in stats. You didn't really believe that 4% unemployment... did you?

Let's talk about how jobs went overseas, to save companies money, yet the prices of cheaply made items keep rising. Why? The savings never were meant to be passed to consumers, so they make things for pennies, charge even more, supposedly because "inflation", but they're making a 1000% profit margins. So no jobs and they charge us more.

I'm sick of the denial when it comes to how screwed we are with wealth disparity. You know that top 20% I mentioned? You are in that if your household makes 100k annually. I want you to think about that. The top 20% holds about half the wealth. It gets worse as we go up. You're in the top 8.5% if your household makes 200k -- again think about it and do the damn math for the cost of living. That's not even getting into factors like location. You tell me how far you think money is going for an entire household these days.

Meanwhile, the wealthiest are taking even more advantage by raising prices with their cheap development homes and getting tax breaks for letting homes sit and rot, while there's a housing shortage.

I'm not even getting warmed up yet...

by Anonymousreply 317August 15, 2020 12:25 AM

R317, Before you warm up further, I suggest you check your facts. We don't have the world's first trillionaire. Jeff Bezos is worth $189 billion--so there's a ways to go before he hits trillionairehood.

There was a bigger wealth gap between the rich and the poor during the Gilded Age. And things were actually getting more equitable, not less, when the French Revolution hit, which like most other revolutions, was started by middle-class intellectuals. (The truly poor are generally trying not to starve.)

There's a lot of misinformation getting pumped out right now.

As for the U.S.--the median net worth of an American is around $65,000--we're wedged in-between Qatar and Denmark. It could be a lot better--we're dragged down by student debt and wage stagnation that's slamming the younger generations, but it's not Third-World poverty levels either.

by Anonymousreply 318August 15, 2020 12:42 AM

R303 the 80% are barely getting by and you have the damn nerve to claim no one is doing that bad. Let me give you a dose of fucking reality of what it's like to be shit on my friend. Here's a little life lesson on how the system is rigged to pamper people lucky enough to be born with economic stability.

Let's start with the joke known as "credit". If someone finds themselves in a situation affecting their credit, it's likely to fuck them for their entire life. A mathematical system that's outdated and rigged, created in the 50s.

You pay more for everything -- from car insurance, to renting a vehicle (which you can be denied for), to housing, etc. If you decide to not use credit, because you know it can be trouble, that's considered worse than bad credit. It's set up so that paying right away is not helpful either. So you use it, but hit a hardship -- it takes at least 7 years to fall off, and even if you pay old debts, it doesn't help much. Good luck doing anything at all -- no reliable cell phones for getting / keeping, jobs, then the jobs that check credit even though it shouldn't be allowed, no break on getting reliable, affordable transportation, a bank account, or even shelter. And that's just one damn way the system fucks the disadvantaged.

Health care cost in the US is now around 10% or more of income because this country has too many selfish privileged pricks worried about "handouts". One injury or illness can ruin someone's lives and guess who deals with it more? The lower classes because they can't afford proper diets, safe homes, and so on. They do labor that takes years of their life and they are stressed. They can't afford preventive care, that the more privileged have access to, leaving them with serious health issues that didn't have to end up that way. Even more stupid, is that it ends up costing everyone more because instead of a few hundred dollars on prevention, we rather let people deteriorate until they need long term care costing in the hundred thousands, usually ending up on government insurance anyway!

I could write a novel on everything done to fuck people, and it's sickening to continually see such ignorance about the way it really is. Point is, take off your blinders for once and look around. We have a serious wealth disparity problem going on and it's hurting us all.

by Anonymousreply 319August 15, 2020 12:45 AM

R318 bull fucking shit. Look up income. That's taking ALL income, including Bezos and buddies, to come up with that number. Actually go to incomes and percentages please.

by Anonymousreply 320August 15, 2020 12:49 AM

R318 I also find it sad your definition of financial health is comparing to 3rd world and the damn gilded age. Student debt is a very serious issue, as is the income for younger generations, but it's a lie to pretend that's what is going on. A household making 100k is in the 20% so you tell me if that's okay to you. You tell me if it's okay that healthcare alone costs that so much.

Even if we play along and pretend 65k is acceptable, how far do you think that gets now? Take 10% out for health care, not including dental. Take out transportation to get to a job. Take out rent/ mortgage, which on the cheap end would be 1k month. FFS take out taxes. All that without getting into food, clothing, and so forth. 65k should be considered a joke to get by, and only 17.2% are making 50k-74,999... let's not play pretend here.

by Anonymousreply 321August 15, 2020 12:58 AM

R318

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322August 15, 2020 1:01 AM

R320. No, it's not taking all income to get that number. I used median net worth for a specific reason--averages, because of Bezos and his ilk--skew much higher. The rich are very, very rich.

BUT--pre-COVID, the situation wasn't great, but unemployment was low and the cost-of-living in several parts of the country made things survivable.

Yes, student debt is a real problem--but we don't need a revolution to fix it. We need to go hard after for-profit diploma mills and limit the amount of debt naive students can take on. It's very much an issue of the last 20 years when the amount of debt students could take on expanded and the colleges hiked up their tuitions to take advantage of it. (One of my issues with Warren's platform is that there was zero accountability for the colleges.)

Are the working and middle classes getting crunched? Yes. Do they still have better living standards than most of the world? Yes. But a lot of this is fixable--providing we have a return to fair elections and accountability.

by Anonymousreply 323August 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Anybody who thinks life in the U.S. today is comparable to the lives of French peasants in the 1700s is beyond the pale when it comes to stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 324August 15, 2020 1:17 AM

"Poor" in the US looks pretty damn good compared to many other countries in the world. Go to Haiti or the Phillippines if you want to see crushing poverty, just for starters.

by Anonymousreply 325August 15, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote]You know that top 20% I mentioned? You are in that if your household makes 100k annually. I want you to think about that. The top 20% holds about half the wealth.

Each person in the top 20% holds 100% of their own wealth and 0% of anyone else's. I want you to think about that.

by Anonymousreply 326August 15, 2020 4:47 AM

Fascinating Tribune article:

"Those charged with downtown Chicago looting a mix of college students, out-of-work parents and convicted felons. But none have obvious ties to Englewood."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327August 15, 2020 5:18 AM

1 black man in the process of committing a crime shot by police = endless protests, riots, and plundering by the black community

30 black kids shot by young black male gang members = crickets

I don't take these people seriously anymore.

by Anonymousreply 328August 15, 2020 6:32 AM

The “riots” have been debunked, OP. A lot of the footage that was used was old footage from other cities, etc...

Basically, it’s been proven a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 329August 15, 2020 10:56 AM

Complete nonsense, R329.

by Anonymousreply 330August 15, 2020 12:40 PM

[quote]Anybody who thinks life in the U.S. today is comparable to the lives of French peasants in the 1700s is beyond the pale when it comes to stupidity.

Well, for a start they couldn't carry the tunes.

by Anonymousreply 331August 15, 2020 12:45 PM

R329 I live nearby, trust me it was no hoax. I was watching from my window.

by Anonymousreply 332August 15, 2020 4:03 PM

"You'll be getting a visit from the Feds with that comment, [R315]. No joke."

I'm still here asshole @R316. I'm more pissed than before because I ran out and bought milk and cookies in anticipation of my gentleman callers from the Feds. Instead, I guess I'll just have to content myself with shoving those cookies up your drunk, smelly Russian asshole.

by Anonymousreply 333August 15, 2020 4:56 PM

Protestors are planning to shut down the Dan Ryan Expressway today before moving into Downtown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 15, 2020 5:22 PM

On Wednesday, the president of the Chicago chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police wrote letters to the Department of Homeland Security and President Trump requesting federal intervention in the ongoing Chicago riots.

He cited Kim Foxx's "presumption of dismissal" policy as a total failure of city government to address the violence.

He also cited today's planned protest on the Dan Ryan Expressway's stated goal of closing the interstate highway as a federal crime on federal jurisdiction warranting federal intervention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335August 15, 2020 5:28 PM

Kim Foxx is a failure

by Anonymousreply 336August 15, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] I'm still here asshole @R316.

Why am I an asshole, R333/R315? It wasn't a judgement about you, I was simply stating a fact. They take those things very seriously, even if it's just an online post made in anger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 15, 2020 5:41 PM

More about Kim Foxx's "Presumption of Dismissal" policy, which is an actual formal policy of her office. I kind of had a hard believing it was real:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338August 15, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote] On Wednesday, the president of the Chicago chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police wrote letters to the Department of Homeland Security and President Trump requesting federal intervention in the ongoing Chicago riots.

She may be a disaster, but she is also an elected official. On the other hand:

[quote] From the time he started with the department in January 1995 through mid-2017, Catanzara amassed at least 35 complaints alleging misconduct, records obtained by the Tribune showed. He has been suspended about a half-dozen times for such infractions as harassing a woman he once dated and working a security job at a restaurant when he was supposed to be on medical leave from the Police Department for a back injury, city records obtained by the nonprofit Invisible Institute show.

[quote] And that wasn’t Catanzara’s first near miss. In August 2008, then-Superintendent Jody Weis sought Catanzara’s firing on allegations that he did not follow orders to complete a psychological exam, according to Police Board records. But in February 2009, the board cleared Catanzara in a 5-3 decision

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339August 15, 2020 5:49 PM

Ah, that is so Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 340August 15, 2020 5:53 PM

There should be no intervention in Chicago. It's time the people there learn that their actions have consequences. They elected Foxx and they will now suffer the consequences for it. There should be no sympathy from anyone outside the city for what the people there have done to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 341August 15, 2020 6:48 PM

R341 I still feel she will somewhat win reelection simply because shes a member of the Chicago Democratic Machine. Lightfoot, the Obamas, Rohm Emmanuel will all praise her etc.

by Anonymousreply 342August 15, 2020 6:52 PM

Everyone who voted for Lightfoot and Emmanuel are just as guilty.

by Anonymousreply 343August 15, 2020 6:54 PM

Lightfoot was a better choice than Taxin’ Toni Preckwinkle who was in the pocket of the Teacher’s Union. I voted for her.

I did NOT vote for Foxx. Lightfoot endorsed her re-election (that’s when I hated Lori, and after caving to CTU) so it’s hilarious to see her now trying to point blame at Kim’s office.

On the re-election map you can see right here how her biggest support was the (crime-ridden) south and west sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 15, 2020 7:25 PM

It's kind of astonishing that the way Foxx chose to appeal to the black community on the South and West sides of Chicago was to make sure they could commit crimes where they only steal under $300 worth of property without any consequences at all.

by Anonymousreply 345August 15, 2020 7:55 PM

Nobody believes this stupid hoax. Nice try!

by Anonymousreply 346August 15, 2020 7:59 PM

"There should be no intervention in Chicago. It's time the people there learn that their actions have consequences. They elected Foxx and they will now suffer the consequences for it. There should be no sympathy from anyone outside the city for what the people there have done to themselves."

There should be no intervention in the United States. it's time the people there learn from that their actions have consequences. They elected Trump and Pence and they will now suffer the consequences for it. There should be no sympathy from anyone outside America for what the people have done to themselves..

by Anonymousreply 347August 15, 2020 11:03 PM

Record wave of deadly shootings hits US cities. More police aren't the answer, activists say

[quote] But violence-prevention experts say the president's comments reflect a simplistic approach to a historically complicated problem of violence within Black communities. They say a heavy-handed approach, while politically popular with the president's largely white, suburban base, will likely exacerbate existing conditions as communities recoil against what could be seen as an occupying force. On Friday, the Justice Department announced the operation was being expanded to Indianapolis.

[quote] "There's a perfect storm of economic, psychological and health crises in our country, and that's impacting communities that have always borne the brunt of these disparities," says Reggie Moore, the injury and violence prevention director for the Office of Violence Prevention in Milwaukee, where homicides have doubled to 106 as of Friday afternoon, compared to the same time last year. Non-fatal shootings in the same period have risen from 235 to 408.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348August 15, 2020 11:10 PM

[quote]But violence-prevention experts say the president's comments reflect a simplistic approach to a historically complicated problem of violence within Black communities.

Yeah, OK...so explain to us what kind of approach would work. And show us examples.

This crap has been going on for decades.

by Anonymousreply 349August 15, 2020 11:33 PM

People are tired of it all.

by Anonymousreply 350August 16, 2020 1:28 PM

The protesters are so stupid. They are playing right into Trump's hands. Has this never dawned on them?

by Anonymousreply 351August 16, 2020 3:49 PM

No, idiot @R351, YOU are playing right into Trump's hands. The more Trump can frighten you and keep you cowering in the corner, the better and easier it is for him and his buddies to strip you of your constitutional rights and continue to loot the US treasury.

Has this ever dawn on YOU????? Talk about stupid.

by Anonymousreply 352August 16, 2020 3:52 PM

Everything kicked off last night with this. Hmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353August 16, 2020 4:29 PM

Chicago Police were filming last night when activists of unknown affiliation (guess who!) began distributing ponchos and umbrellas and organizing the crowd into a battle line. Not 30 seconds later, the skateboard guys swings at a cop.

Chicago's not playing games, kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354August 16, 2020 4:35 PM

R352, you are too stupid to even talk to. You are the reason Trump's where he is. Probably didn't even vote in 2016, did you? The protests, this close to the election and infiltrated by Repug and criminal elements, are playing you, you fool. Do whatever you want after election day. Right now, you've lost your message to the bad elements who are using your ignorance and naivete against you.

by Anonymousreply 355August 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Go fuck yourself, you know nothing dip shit at R355. You're just another unrepentant internet blowhard who doesn't know jack shit about jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 356August 16, 2020 11:02 PM

R352, I think you're in the wrong thread, mate. You should be in the favorite breakfast thread so your mommy will know what to serve you before you go out to play useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 357August 16, 2020 11:25 PM

Girls, girls! You're BOTH brain-dead twats who contribute nothing to society or the betterment of humankind!

by Anonymousreply 358August 17, 2020 6:13 AM

Can’t believe you fools fell for this hoax. Shame on you!

by Anonymousreply 359August 17, 2020 6:25 AM

R359, you already typed your assigned spiel for the day.

by Anonymousreply 360August 17, 2020 6:33 AM

Skateboard guy works at Second City!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361August 17, 2020 9:38 PM

So he's a comedian?

by Anonymousreply 362August 17, 2020 10:42 PM

"Citing threats, Mayor Lori Lightfoot defends ban on protesters on her block: ‘I have a right to make sure that my home is secure’"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363August 21, 2020 1:05 AM

She actually said that? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 364August 21, 2020 2:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!