Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How famous was Bruce Paltrow?

Much is made about Gwyneth Paltrow's well-connected pedigree. However, how famous was her dad? I'd never heard of him until GP became famous. And Blythe Danner, while certainly a respected theatre actress, was hardly Meryl Streep. Explain please?

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2020 12:58 PM

[Quote] how famous was her dad?

Cybill Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2020 12:40 AM

Blythe Danner actually had a good period in the 70s and 80s when she was someone who was often given important roles in film: 1776, Hearts of the West, The Great Santini, Brighton Beach Memoirs, The Prince of Tides, Mr and Mrs Bridge. She was best known on Broadway, though, and won the Tony for her work in Butterflies are Free. She was generally a considered a very fine, pretty actress, but not the kind who could carry a movie by herself.

Bruce Paltrow wasn't well known to the general public, but he was insanely well connected. he was mostly a TV director and prioducer best known for his work on St. Elsewhere and The White Shadow.

When Dataloungers or anyone talks about Gwyneth Paltrow as "Hollywood royalty," it has much less to do with how famous her parents were than with how well-liked they were by important people (like Steven Spielberg).

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 12:45 AM

r2, makes sense, although how did they come to be so well-connected?

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 12:47 AM

Yes, what R2 said. He was well known behind the scenes. No doubt his connections helped his spoiled and entitled daughter get the jobs she did get.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 12:47 AM

Goop's Godfather is Spielberg that's all the connection she really needed.

He got her in the door and her Vagina did the rest.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2020 12:48 AM

Did her father come from extreme wealth?

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2020 12:48 AM

One other thing I'll add: Blythe Danner is so well-liked as an actress even on Datalounge that there's a running joke here that she is secretly appalled by her daughter's obnoxious narcissism and wishes to disown her. Nothing could be further from the truth. Danner not only adores her daughter, but hugely spoiled her (as did her father), and has consistently encouraged her in her egocentric behavior. Sadly, talented people who seem eminently sensible onscreen are not necessarily the most sensible parents in real life.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2020 12:49 AM

It's less about fame OP, than about being able to pull connections. And between both her parents, she had a lot of connections, certainly a lot more than the actors she was up against.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2020 12:50 AM

Blythe is also known for bumping in to chorus boys who are correctly doing THEIR choreography.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2020 12:51 AM

l knew who the creators and producers of St. Elsewhere were back in the '80s. I have that kind of memory when I think of something as important, and I really loved that show. I've always been one of those people who stay 'til the end to watch the credits.

Here's his wiki, r6:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2020 12:52 AM

OP He created St Elsewhere, and gave Ton Fontana his break.

BRUCE IS GOLDEN.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2020 12:52 AM

R7 That Troglodyte, Mammie Gummer, is another prime example for those who project a virtuous demeanor on screen... yet couldn’t raise a kitten properly.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2020 12:58 AM

Every Jewish Princess I grew up with aspires to be Gwynneth.

Not so much in the Coldplay stage, but now that she's got Goop AND is married to a good looking Jewish producer?

She is their idol.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2020 1:11 AM

But Blythe isn't Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2020 1:15 AM

Is Goop a true Jew?

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2020 1:15 AM

Her uncle went to prison for tax evasion.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2020 1:16 AM

R2 is (mostly) accurate, but I still think Blythe Danner is more famous on DL than anywhere else. She's quite good in some films (1776, GREAT SANTINI) but hideously miscast elsewhere (BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS). Danner was never an A lister in her younger years and always felt like a solid character actor--a go-to on your short list, maybe, when you couldn't get your first choice.

She's got theatre credits, but only did one Bway play-a production of TWELFTH NIGHT--for a month between BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE (1970) and BETRAYAL (1980). Just FYI.

I think R2 is spot on about Danner's responsibility in unleashing Goop onto the world. Part of her weird DL mythology is also that Danner was some genius talent who, if only fate had dealt her a better hand, would have had some blockbuster megawatt career. No. She's a decent working actor who's had a pretty decent run.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 1:17 AM

But Gwyneth is.

(Her brother was bar mitzvahed, not sure about G)

And most of her friends growing up were. She went to both Crossroads and Spence

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 1:17 AM

Maybe R17

I am not all that knowledgeable about theater/film/TV and I'd heard of Blythe Danner before I found DL.

I will admit that if her name was Mary Danner I might not remember her, but Blythe is an unusual name.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 1:19 AM

[Quote] hideously miscast elsewhere

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2020 1:20 AM

R19 My sister's name is Mary Danner--how very dare you!

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2020 1:24 AM

What did Goop ever do that was THAT bad. Entitled and privileged. She's just one of many. I can't think of anything that 'bad" - like making racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic comments; or consistently treating staff/crew like shit.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 1:28 AM

Blythe dated Chevy Chase while they were at Bard. Her Nina (opposite Frank Langella and Lee Grant at Williamstown in 1975) is wonderful. Watch the last scene between the young Langella and Danner from 1.38

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 1:38 AM

[quote]And Blythe Danner, while certainly a respected theatre actress, was hardly Meryl Streep.

"Hail to thee, Blythe Danner ... Streep thou never wert."

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 1:54 AM

The thing i loved about St Elsewhere is Paltrow wrote real characters, flaws and all. I mean, fucking Peter was a lead character who was a fucking rapist, and Bobby caldwell was a total asshole. But, real characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 1:57 AM

Chevy Chase now there is a real POS.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 3:25 AM

I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2020 7:29 PM

Her parents got her to Harvey. He took care of the rest.

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2020 7:33 PM

And you bitches haven’t seen anything. You think Blythe’s crotchfruit is unbearable? Just wait for Apple to get the media career she’s “entitled” to...

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2020 7:35 PM

Unless people are looking for the new Marty Feldman, I don't think there's anything to worry about with her.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2020 7:36 PM

R30 Snorted tea out my nose cunt.

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2020 7:42 PM

He was one of the top producers of the MTM company, which was the only shop for classy TV drama in the late '70s/early '80s.

He ran The White Shadow, then St. Elsewhere, then ... not much.

Well respected, but not a household name, of course, unless you were super-into TV.

by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote]What did Goop ever do that was THAT bad. Entitled and privileged. She's just one of many. I can't think of anything that 'bad" - like making racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic comments; or consistently treating staff/crew like shit.

Sean Penn is an anti-racist, pro-gay actor who also happens to be an incredible asshole. I'll agree with you that those qualities you mention are horrible in a human being, but sometimes other factors come to play.

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote]What did Goop ever do that was THAT bad. Entitled and privileged. She's just one of many. I can't think of anything that 'bad" - like making racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic comments; or consistently treating staff/crew like shit.

Sean Penn is an anti-racist, pro-gay actor who also happens to be an incredible asshole. I'll agree with you that those qualities you mention are horrible in a human being, but sometimes other factors come to play.

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2020 12:28 AM

What's this about Sean Penn?

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2020 12:42 AM

Why are some many Jewish men five minutes from "Jackie Mason"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2020 12:48 AM

Honestly, I din’t think I ever heard of him until Gwyn came along as an celebrity. And I was moderately attentive to show biz news.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2020 12:58 AM

Does anyone know if Sean Penn is an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2020 12:59 AM

Mr Speaker, I am that asshole.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 1:16 AM

Sean Penn os a racist pro?

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2020 1:43 AM

I find a lot of strong-featured Jewish men attractive, R42, but many of them hit a wall in middle-age. Overnight, they seem to go from craggily handsome to dried apple-head dolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2020 12:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!