Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marvel Is Looking at Shia LaBeouf To Play This ‘X-Men’ Character in Reboot (Report)

Shia LaBeouf is reportedly the front runner to play Iceman in a reboot of X-Men.

According to We Got This Covered, sources are saying that Marvel is eyeing the 34-year-old star for the superhero role.

Shia was first considered for the role of Moon Knight in the MCU, which he is still being considered for, but is no longer one of the top choices.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Shia LaBeouf

"Marvel are keen to work with him and they now see a role as one of the X-Men as another possible way of bringing him into the fold while still easing him back into the big budget environment that he’d previously sworn off," the site says.

Just recently, Shia was spotted out showing his support for this Presidential candidate.

If you missed it, Marvel also just hired a director for the upcoming Captain Marvel 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 4, 2020 9:17 PM

JFC, what a poorly written article. Anyway, it would be interesting to see him in a gay romance...I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 10:16 PM

I sure hope the corona just kills off this tedious, brain-eating franchise once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 10:16 PM

I don't want him to play gay. My opinion is that every actor who plays gay should be hot, to give that target audience something nice to look at. I feel like if I spend too long staring at Shia he'll give me herpes.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 10:38 PM

Love Shia!

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 10:49 PM

Has anything We Got This Covered reported ever came to fruition?

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 10:52 PM

Shia LeBoeuf is hot and I have no problem with him playing gay.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 10:57 PM

Shia LaBeouf being a top choice? Is this article fifteen years old?

No wonder the movie business is in the shitter. Who are the other contenders, Willie Aames and Brian Austin Green?

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 11:01 PM

Moon Knight is weird and freaky, a niche character in a story that only fanboys know well. He’d have suited that better, as much as someone like Shia can suit a capes role. If it were up to me, I’d have him playing the Clown in SPAWN or something bizarre and scary like that, but what does a humble civilian reader such as me know?

As a gay fan of X-Men from my youth, I’d rather Shia didn’t play any of them let alone Bobby Drake, a part to which he is entirely unsuited. The original cast of Shawn Ashmore was perfectly capable in the Iceman part, people liked him in the part, and he fits the character profile. He’s around the same age as Shia, so it’s not as if Marvel need a younger actor. Shawn has said publicly that he is keen to reprise the role, and says he has no problem playing Bobby as a gay man (well, mutant) in future. Why not just keep him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 11:02 PM

Moon Knight would be better for him. That twisted, shifting, personality angle is exactly what he needs to flex his muscles.

Shia should stay as far away as possible from Bobby Drake.

I agree with R8 that Shawn Ashmore was good, the only thing they missed was that he was supposed to be funny at least to himself. That wasn't his fault though. Bobby is one of the very few X-Men who is not overly serious. I suppose Jubilee would be the other one but Bobby is so much more jocular. That's also what made his coming out compelling since for once he had to be serious about something. (Well that and the White Queen schooling him on how well he could use his powers if he tried a decade or so ago after she possessed him.)

I also doubt they'd let the character be "gay" other than glancing at a man too long and winking. I just don't trust Marvel with that based on their history.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 11:09 PM

There's a obnoxious, smelly, alcoholic X-man?

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 11:09 PM

Oh God No! Not Shia LeDoufus, please, anybody, literally anybody would be a better choice than fuck’n LeDoufus.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 11:11 PM

I enjoyed R9’s post. It reminded me of Voice of the Night (VotN), who used to be a comic book/sci-fi expert a few years ago. I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 11:12 PM

We got this Covered is about as believable as Us Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 11:13 PM

They can't afford to make him a title character or a needed role for the future. Iceman makes sense, if only because the next time Shia goes off he can just not return to the MCU. No need for a recast. He should play a villain, maybe the Wrecker or Mastermind.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 11:15 PM

Is there a part for Susan Richardson?

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 11:20 PM

R8 You mean Violator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 11:25 PM

Why do people keep hiring this asshole? It's not like he's the only actor.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2020 1:09 AM

Last time I checked Hollywood was full of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2020 3:05 AM

Given the awful ways in which he has flagrantly treated women (didn’t he beat or abuse his ex-girlfriend?) and co-stars in the past, he should never work again imo. Blacklist the fucker, honestly.

But, it’s undeniable he has creative talent as a performer; you could see it from when he was a little kid on the Disney channel. Being a nasty bullying snivelling piece of work as a personality and having some talent or charisma playing a character are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2020 1:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2020 12:57 AM

I would really love an Even Stevens continuation (more so than that planned and then cancelled Lizzie McGuire sequel) but Disney would never touch Shia with a ten-foot-pole. He needs to stick with indie films because like Lindsay Lohan, I can't see any major studio taking a gamble on hiring him.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 3:20 AM

I want him to cum inside me

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2020 3:23 AM

R22 Well I'm convinced Megan fucked him during her many breakups with Brian Austin Green. I imagine he's crazy in bed.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2020 3:25 AM

A straight actor playing a gay character? Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2020 3:29 AM

Shia seems like a method actor. So he'll have tons of gay sex just to know what it feels

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2020 3:38 AM

I forgot Disney owned Marvel. Well if they want Shia for X-Men then they should have no problem with convincing to do an Even Stevens sequel. He seems fond of his time on that show.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2020 3:48 AM

Shia is damaged goods. No please.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2020 4:14 AM

If he does get the role, it's going to be a bitch to airbrush out the tats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2020 4:23 AM

Shia like Lindsay Lohan was one of the few Disney actors with actual acting talent. After Even Stevens he had roles in Holes, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Constantine, Disturbia and I, Robot which set him up for a big career. He then did the Transformers and seemed to have everything going for him until he began fucking up. He had so many chances in Hollywood but his erratic behavior and difficulty to work with made him undesirable to hire. Regardless of his crappy behavior, Shia is a really good-looking guy and still has a lot of acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2020 4:25 AM

He didn't "begin" fucking up, he was always fucking up. Shia is damaged goods. He isn't just a rowdy celebrity, he's a man with severe mental illness. It's not that nobody will hire him because of he's "difficult to work with", it's that nobody will hire him because he's a basket case due to trauma.

I'm not joking when I honestly say I think he should have a caretaker. He should retire from acting and live with someone that can oversee him. He's a danger to himself and others.

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2020 5:35 AM

R10 yeah, his name’s Logan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2020 1:39 PM

In Fox/Bryan Singer’s X-MEN, Bobby Drake & St. John Allerdyce (Pyro) were angsty boys in love, and I will fight every one of you bitches to the death defending that.

How are another two actors going to top this chemistry? I’ll wait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2020 10:47 PM

If I’m Shawn Ashmore, I’m pissed about this decision. He dedicated some ten years of his career to playing Bobby; he practically shares a skin with the character. He’s done everything asked and more for the X-Men universe. Now out of nowhere they’re replacing him for no good or justifiable reason.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2020 10:49 PM

Bryan Singer may be a pedo, but we got a bunch of wonderful superhero movies full of gays and subtext gays because of him. Now that he's blacklisted I doubt we'll ever see a superhero series that ever touches that homoeroticism ever again. The closest so far has been the Steve/Bucky storyline from Marvel and they killed that with the ending of Endgame.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2020 10:50 PM

R33 Because of age. All of the Fox X-Men cast was great and fit their roles perfectly, but Disney wants something different (which will probably suck and end up being boring movies full of pretty people who can't act just like all their superhero films).

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2020 10:52 PM

R33 Kevin Feige is is recasting all of the X-Men although there has been speculation that he may possibly want to keep Patrick Stewart,James McAvoy,Michael Fassbender and Ian McKellen.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2020 10:56 PM

he looks mental in OP's picture.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2020 10:57 PM

As much as I love Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, they're a bit too old at this point. Even if we're dealing with future versions R36

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2020 10:57 PM

I’d rather have older people who I know have acting talent, are reliable, and can play the roles well fitting the part.

Gratuitous recasts of young sexy nobodies or celebrity offspring just drag down the brand and taint the stories & characters. It’s not a good move for box office longevity.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2020 11:03 PM

Marvel shouldn't even remake the X-Men movies. I know it sounds crazy, but X-Men is too complicated for them to tackle. It's full of political shit. I mean, for God's sake, the first X-Men movie opens up at Auschwitz. Disney couldn't even put actual Swastikas or the Nazi salute in the Captain America movies. There's no way Disney-Marvel will be able to tackle such (for lack of a better word) adult material as the X-Men stories.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2020 11:03 PM

R34, Hi, Bryan!

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2020 11:04 PM

The closest Marvel ever got to tackling an X-Men like movie was Civil War, and even though that film got interesting and political they completely abandoned the storyline and forgot everything that happened in it because it would have required them to make Tony Stark a bad guy. Disney can't handle dark/political superhero stories. That's why every fucking movie they make has an unfunny one-liner written into the script every three seconds. They can't stand to be serious for even a moment, and the X-Men have seriousness written into their stories from the get-go. I don't think Marvel can handle the X-Men storylines without butchering them and making them less gritty to appease their audience.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2020 11:09 PM

Kevin Feige wanted to mention the X-Men and Spiderman as far back as the first Iron Man movie and scene was filmed that was eventually cut.The only reason Kevin didn't allow the scene to be kept is because he didn't want Marvel to get sued by Fox and Sony. Kevin had also hoped that he could bring the Toby McGuire version of Spiderman into the budding MCU.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2020 12:09 AM

5 Queer Actors who could play Iceman instead of Shia LaBeouf. Includes designated trans choice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2020 12:17 AM

It'd be fun to see the MCU throw Scott Evans a bone.

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2020 12:18 AM

I doubt they'll make the X-Men that old. X-Men is far more of a gold mine than Avengers and they started off as teens/young adults. It would be smarter to start them younger in order to keep them around longer. Feige seems to want to cast actual gay people for gay roles now too.

I'm hoping Marvel gets the characters right and doesn't pump out a bunch of messed up trash like FOX did. Minus three or four actors, all the characters were horribly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2020 12:24 AM

Scott Evans is a fat, balding failed TV soap actor. They’re not going to give it to a middle-aged gay alcoholic, no matter how hot his brother is.

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2020 12:31 AM

This would be a good role for DL favorite Connor Jessup.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2020 12:31 AM

Either that or Brandon Flynn R48

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote] Includes designated trans choice

Is Iceman Trans in the comic books. I thought they made him gay??? That website is so homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2020 12:44 AM

I know this isn't a trans thread, but I hate when trans men get cast as gay men. It feels like they're basically calling gay men women in men's clothing. It doesn't help that every trans man looks like a bitch dyke.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2020 12:50 AM

I meant to say butch dyke, but bitch dyke is still applicable.

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote]It feels like they're basically calling gay men women in men's clothing

It's because they are. It shows how little respect for gay men they actually have. [bold]Deep down they are still emasculating gay men[/bold]. They are not real men, therefore someone born female can play them.

You won't see Raffy Ermac, the author of that shit piece, suggest Trans men to play straight man roles.

It's homophobia plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2020 1:15 AM

If Disney gives another GAY role to a STRAIGHT man, they can doubly burn in hell.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2020 1:55 AM

^^And lose a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2020 1:55 AM

I'm happy Sony still has the rights to the Spider-Man franchise. Their recent films like Homecoming and Spider-Verse have gotten good reviews. Spider-Verse which I saw in theaters was probably my favorite Spider-Man film. I'm tired of Disney in general owning everything and sanitizing things down. Disney is too safe and scared to take risks. FoX-Men was a divisive and polarizing franchise but I liked they were edgier and darker than typical superhero films and took risks which didn't always pay off but still was something.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2020 2:05 AM

R56 Homecoming and Far From Home are Disney films.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2020 2:45 AM

R56 Co-Produced with Columbia Pictures and released by Sony

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2020 2:49 AM

Yes, that's because Sony has the rights r58. From a creative perspective, aka the actual product tou watch, Homecoming and FFH are Disney movies that were under the helm of Kevin Feige like every other MCU movie.

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2020 2:54 AM

Sorry, meant to tag R57

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2020 3:00 AM

The Amazing Spider-Man also wasn't that bad and Andrew Garfield did his best. But what was really unfortunate was that The Spectactular Spider-Man which most fans agree is the best animated Spider-Man TV series got cancelled because of Disney gaining ownership of all Spider-Man media apart from the live-action films. Also maybe it's nostalgia but I still like Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, the third one sucked though.

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2020 3:11 AM

[Quote] Also maybe it's nostalgia but I still like Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, the third one sucked though.

I like them too. There was supposed to be another movie, which is why Spiderman 3 feels so cramped.

by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2020 7:42 AM

Who the hell is clamoring for another ‘X-Men’ movie?

by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2020 7:56 AM

There was supposed to be a Spiderman 4 but stuff started happening bts till eventually Toby left and then Rami was out. The rights to Spiderman are a little complicated. Marvel can produce Spiderman related projects I believe so long as they are 30 minutes or less. While Sony I believe can produce Spiderman projects as long as they are over 30 minutes.Sony keeps the distribution rights while Marvel gets a percentage of merchandise sales and the box office.

The thing with Andrew is that there were rumors that certain people over at Marvel didn't like him or that he was chosen to play Spiderman. Then after he made that statement about why can't there be a not straight Peter Parker. It allegedly gave impetus to those at Marvel who didn't like him another reason to go to Sony in order to try to get him fired.

by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2020 8:13 AM

If the actor has to be gay, then they need to select someone who isn't a pussy / twink-like to play him. And obviously having a penis is mandatory.

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2020 10:55 AM

R64 If only Tobey had waited a few years, he could have kept his job. Holland said the same thing and everybody kissed his ass for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 17, 2020 12:25 PM

It wasn't Tobey who suggested it, R65, it was Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 67August 17, 2020 12:41 PM

R62 Part III of the Raimi/Maguire SPIDER-MAN could and should have been a lot better, but personally I liked that they took some risks and tried to go in a different direction than the comics and than the usual superhero fare. If I’m reaching for a SPIDER-MAN movie, I’ll take III off the shelf before AMAZING, because I want to be entertained.

Rather than go edgy and schizo and violent and like the Netflix-style black comedy of Hardy’s VENOM, Raimi decided to experiment with more of a straightforward morality play, using Eddie Brock for an bitchy mirror-image antagonist to Peter. It didn’t totally come off, but I enjoyed the project for what it was and like the way the film bounces along at a clip and shows us a full spectrum of emotional experiences along the way (I.e., the despair of Sandman, the frustration and spite of Eddie, the angst and regret of Peter).

The press and the fanboys skewered Topher Grace for his take on Eddie, and I thought that was unfair - he was playing it as the Director requested, and brought to life what was asked of him in the bright zippy style of the Raimi movies. He also had excellent chemistry with Maguire; you could really believe they were bitter rivals yet cut from the same cloth when you got down to it.

Superhero movies of today don’t really present relationships between characters in such a fun and clear way, muddying the waters with too much backstory and sociopolitical handwringing. Sometimes people - even mutants or superpowered people - just get pissed off and mad about it, you know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 17, 2020 1:09 PM

^^respect also to J.K. Simmons, who played the best J. Jonah Jameson there ever has been or will be.

by Anonymousreply 69August 17, 2020 1:10 PM

J.K. Simmons is so great as J. Jonah Jameson that they didn't recast the role after him. He plays the same character in the MCU Spider-Man movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 17, 2020 1:13 PM

To return to the thread subject...

[quote] hoping Marvel gets the characters right and doesn't pump out a bunch of messed up trash like FOX did. Minus three or four actors, all the characters were horribly miscast.

R46 please tell us, who do you think were the well-cast actors?

Most people would highly rate Hugh Jackman as Logan. Patrick Stewart as Prof. Xavier, ditto. I love Sir Ian and do enjoy his Erik Lensherr, especially as it’s a pivotal main role going to an Out gay man.

For me, James Marsden was an ideal Scott Summers/Cyclops, and Famke Janssen a capable Jean Grey. I also enjoyed Alan Cummings as Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Shawn Ashmore as Iceman, Aaron Stanford as Pyro, and Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde.

On the flip side, Kelsey Grammer was a hammy and unbelievable Beast. Halle Berry is an unforgivably awful Ororo/Storm, and Rebecca Romjin brought little to Mystique beyond sex appeal. The kids who played Angel, Jubilee, Toad & Colossus may as well not have been there, considering how little their characters appeared and how wooden they were in the few scenes they did get.

It was also a huge oversight that Rémy/Gambit did not appear once in any of the three Singer movies; though as Anna Paquin’s Rogue wasn’t popular, and Taylor Kitsch did such a horrible job in the WOLVERINE movies anyways, perhaps that’s for the the best.

by Anonymousreply 71August 17, 2020 1:25 PM

That sort of movie environments drives some people crazy. That level of fame needs a very balanced person and team to protect the actor. Shia would not make it. Shia would crash and burn again. Hope he rejects them type of projects.

by Anonymousreply 72August 17, 2020 1:32 PM

I would like if Marvel tried to do a Hulk TV series. I liked the 1970s one that used to air on reruns on Sci-Fi Channel and would not mind an update. Hell, the vast universe of X-Men would work better as a series of TV adaptations rather than just films.

by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2020 3:29 PM

Disney's working on a She-Hulk series for Disney+, so that's probably as close as we'll get. R73

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Moon Knight is weird and freaky, a niche character in a story that only fanboys know well.

When they made Iron Man, that was a third rate Marvel character - one of the few they still had the rights to make a movie with.

None of the current crop of gay actors would make a good Ice Man - Colton is too old (32) and Brandon Flynn and Connor Jessup (as much as I like Connor) aren't right for the part. Frankly, neither was Ashmore. I'd rather see someone like Jeremy Irvine or Alex Saxon. I can't really even think of a gay actor under 30 who fits.

by Anonymousreply 75August 17, 2020 3:50 PM

All of these articles about it, are quoting wegotthiscovered - a rumor site. So I doubt the accuracy of this.

by Anonymousreply 76August 17, 2020 3:53 PM

It seems like he's a massive asshole but I think he nice.

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2020 4:00 PM

Shawn Ashmore rocked it in the role of Bobby Drake/Iceman. While most drooled over Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.. it was Ashmore who made my manties moist. He's still a very good looking 40 something and I'd like to see more of him on the big or small screen 🥰

by Anonymousreply 78August 17, 2020 4:21 PM

I always confused Shawn with his twin brother Aaron.

by Anonymousreply 79August 17, 2020 4:23 PM

Connor Jessup would be perfect for it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 17, 2020 6:56 PM

🔥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 17, 2020 6:56 PM

R71 I took far more issue with the way the characters were written, than with any particular actor or their ability to do as directed. I should have been more clear about that. I'm just going to focus on the "main" characters and not the one shots or really minor roles.

Patrick Stewart was definitely the best casting choice by far., followed by Fassbender. McKellan hit the characterization of Magneto perfectly, but still seemed too weak physically. Of course, he was battling cancer at the time, so there was nothing to be done about that. McAvoy's character was absolutely nothing like Charles Xavier, which sucked because McAvoy is an amazing actor. Page actually had a decently written Kitty, so I can't complain too much there, despite her small role. Wolverine, Rogue, Bobby, Storm, Jean, and Cyclops were all presented horribly, despite the work the actors put into their roles. None of them had the proper personalities.

-Cyclops was written as overly-emotional and his character traits were essentially given to Wolverine instead.

-Wolverine was just Cyclops with Wolverine's snarky comments thrown in and given a model-like appearance.

-Bobby had his entire personality stripped away and became dull and serious. His main character trait was liking Rogue and Kitty. Bobby is far more similar to Holland's Spiderman.

- Rouge was just weak and served as a constant damsel in distress.

- Jean was aged up 20 years, to nearly 40, and STILL couldn't use her powers effectively? She was a plot device with nothing going on for herself.

And the absolutely worst written "main" character. Storm.

- Storm is supposed to be a strong, intimidating person, essentially personifying nature. a kind and serene personality, but absolutely not someone to screw with. She's meant to be the co-leader and every bit as strong as Cyclops when it comes to leadership. Her stature is actually important because it was meant to literally show how she stands shoulder to shoulder with Marvel's male leaders. What did we get? Super tiny Halle Berry and a Storm that lacked finesse with her powers (couldn't control them well enough to lift Wolverine?) and a weak, fearful personality. She deferred to almost everyone else in the movie, including newcomer Wolverine, and mostly faded into the background, except in rare moments when Halle verbally fought with Singer to make Storm more like her comic counterpart.

Now that I've said all that, I think it's important I mention that I've read X-Men nearly my entire life. I don't expect other media, like movies, to follow the stories 100% to the letter. I just want the characters to have the proper personalities and physical appearances. Singer knew nothing about X-Men and didn't care about the actual characters. Neither did FOX. That's why so many people just had a "famous" name slapped on whatever character they were playing. Singer's hatred of Gambit is also why he was never in the main X-Films.

by Anonymousreply 82August 17, 2020 7:23 PM

R71 I took far more issue with the way the characters were written, than with any particular actor or their ability to do as directed. I should have been more clear about that. I'm just going to focus on the "main" characters and not the one shots or really minor roles.

Patrick Stewart was definitely the best casting choice by far., followed by Fassbender. McKellan hit the characterization of Magneto perfectly, but still seemed too weak physically. Of course, he was battling cancer at the time, so there was nothing to be done about that. McAvoy's character was absolutely nothing like Charles Xavier, which sucked because McAvoy is an amazing actor. Page actually had a decently written Kitty, so I can't complain too much there, despite her small role. Wolverine, Rogue, Bobby, Storm, Jean, and Cyclops were all presented horribly, despite the work the actors put into their roles. None of them had the proper personalities.

-Cyclops was written as overly-emotional and his character traits were essentially given to Wolverine instead.

-Wolverine was just Cyclops with Wolverine's snarky comments thrown in and given a model-like appearance.

-Bobby had his entire personality stripped away and became dull and serious. His main character trait was liking Rogue and Kitty. Bobby is far more similar to Holland's Spiderman.

- Rouge was just weak and served as a constant damsel in distress.

- Jean was aged up 20 years, to nearly 40, and STILL couldn't use her powers effectively? She was a plot device with nothing going on for herself.

And the absolutely worst written "main" character. Storm.

- Storm is supposed to be a strong, intimidating person, essentially personifying nature. a kind and serene personality, but absolutely not someone to screw with. She's meant to be the co-leader and every bit as strong as Cyclops when it comes to leadership. Her stature is actually important because it was meant to literally show how she stands shoulder to shoulder with Marvel's male leaders. What did we get? Super tiny Halle Berry and a Storm that lacked finesse with her powers (couldn't control them well enough to lift Wolverine?) and a weak, fearful personality. She deferred to almost everyone else in the movie, including newcomer Wolverine, and mostly faded into the background, except in rare moments when Halle verbally fought with Singer to make Storm more like her comic counterpart.

Now that I've said all that, I think it's important I mention that I've read X-Men nearly my entire life. I don't expect other media, like movies, to follow the stories 100% to the letter. I just want the characters to have the proper personalities and physical appearances. Singer knew nothing about X-Men and didn't care about the actual characters. Neither did FOX. That's why so many people just had a "famous" name slapped on whatever character they were playing. Singer's hatred of Gambit is also why he was never in the main X-Films.

by Anonymousreply 83August 17, 2020 7:23 PM

"but I hate when trans men get cast as gay men."

Please list all of the movies in which this is happened.

by Anonymousreply 84August 17, 2020 7:35 PM

When they recast Wolverine, they'll need to make sure the actor is 5'3"

by Anonymousreply 85August 17, 2020 7:38 PM

R79 yes, I ran into that problem at first. Once you’ve seen them enough times, it’s easy.

by Anonymousreply 86August 17, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote] Singer's hatred of Gambit is also why he was never in the main X-Films.

Please tell us more. I’ve never heard of this being the reason, plus Gambit is a really difficult X-Men character to dislike.

With some work on the accent and a lot of time in the gym, I think the guy who played Gambit in the parody sketches for Pete Holmes would be a fun choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 17, 2020 7:44 PM

I have no idea why that double posted. I'm not worried about exact heights, but certain things should be kept. Storm should be roughly as tall as the men and Wolverine should be shorter than most of the team. They've both have their heights repeatedly referenced over the years, so it's an important trait for them.

by Anonymousreply 88August 17, 2020 8:33 PM

Not going to argue that the Fox films have mighty flaws, or that their casting and production were inept. It’s been almost twenty years, we know what happened and at whose feet to lay the blame. Storm should absolutely tower over everyone like an Amazon goddess, Wolvy needs to be stumpy, and Rogue must be a good-time gal with a loud Southern accent - while I don’t believe lore is written in stone, some things are integral.

But when in comes to the first X-Men movies, it wasn’t all trash, and in fact on a close rewatch there is much to admire in these films. The style of them is often lauded, but kudos should also go to the co-writers & editors for their pacing and narrative choices, which made for an almost seamless political action film (a difficult line to walk).

Script-to-screen the casting was fine for the younger characters, such as Bobby Drake. Ok, they weren’t facsimiles of the hep 1960s OG versions, or the gaudy grimdark 80s-90s ones; but, why would they be? These were mid-‘00s movies. Though I’m a reader of the comic books, I didn’t even mind that the Pyro of those films had his comics-canon name, ethnicity, and appearance drastically changed and was played by an older actor (well, the second time around *sweats nervously*).

Stanford’s chemistry with Ashmore’s Iceman sold me on both characters, where I wasn’t a fan before (didn’t like either in the comics); it was how they would snipe at each other and undermine the other’s attempts to connect, but then gaze with sad longing when the other wasn’t looking because they couldn’t figure out all this teenaged angst and sexual confusion alongside their mutation problems and the whole political oppression deal. Much subtle and advanced acting going on, there - perhaps Stewart was giving lessons?

Singer, for all his faults, masterfully manipulated the young mutants’ arc, to suggest the bitter raging frustrations not only of the poor and abused in society, but also of LGB people when faced with persecution and downtreading - no thanks to capitulating bisexuals (Bobby), duplicitous Ts (Mystique), and meek pray-the-gay-away conversion cases (Rogue). There is a powerful allegory there, and it always surprises me when gay viewers aren’t moved by it, even to anger. It’s just a pity something so substantial had to come at the expense of strong rich characters from the comics, like Rogue. Still, for a throwaway C-plot in an introductory movie meant to hook bored tweens at the movies that summer, I think their arc was the most compelling and well-acted in X2 & X3 (until Ratner fucked it up, anyway....)

Sadly, I don’t have hopes for a repeat performance for Iceman or any of his lovers & friends, given the state of comic-book films at the moment. As a poster above sagely commented - the X-Men are politically-partisan, and that’s the one thing a mainstream film cannot be. Even Singer ran into issues with the Execs back in 2000 about how far he could push the envelope - what hope does a big budget main-platform Director have now? X-Men as ever faces the problem of "dude has a point" vs "no radicals allowed", which I think only suits underground medium such as comic books, fanfilms, cartoons and cult tv series on obscure platforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 17, 2020 10:02 PM

Glenn Danzing was someone they were looking at to play Wolverine along with Dougray Scott and Russell Crowe. Russell turned down the role and Dougray was supposed to play Wolverine. Scheduling conflicts and other problems with MI:2 then Dougray suffering an injury eventually forced Fox to find someone else because this was expected to be a big project and they felt that they couldn't wait any longer for Dougray to finally be available. There had been attempts to do an X-Men film going far back as either 1983 or 1984.

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2020 1:28 AM

[Quote] Colton is too old (32) and Brandon Flynn and Connor Jessup (as much as I like Connor) aren't right for the part.

If they're looking at Shia, then Colton isn't too old. Someone in the other thread also suggested Charlie Carver.

[Quote]  and Dougray was supposed to play Wolverine.

And now he's on Batwoman 😄

by Anonymousreply 91August 18, 2020 1:44 AM

I'd definitely rather have Colton than Shia.

by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2020 5:31 AM

Nice assessment R82. Will you be available to reboot the X-Men franchise, remaining true to the original characters as written by Marvel comics? You're hired.

by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2020 9:42 AM

no !!!!!! la boof is a creep skunt who does not sell tickets ..... his antics repel viewers..

by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2020 11:11 AM

In general, I preferred when Marvel cast less well-known actors in roles or folks like RDJ who were literally getting their last chance before being sent to pasture (or becoming yacht girls/boys at Cannes).

Once they started becoming huge - and paying huge dollars - every actor who wanted a big payday came out of the woodwork.

It's ridiculous they hired Angelia Jolie. These days, no matter what the role, all you see is Angelina Jolie because, let's face it, she's a very limited actress.

I wish they'd find something for Luke Macfarlane - not as Iceman - but, for something big. I also wouldn't mind seeing Richard Armitage more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2020 11:58 AM

R95 agree about Jolie. She’s become almost a self-parody at this point, what with MALEFICENT.

Armitage is an interesting case. His talent would be a boon to the X-Men, no question. However, he has already put in a major franchise appearance in THE HOBBIT, so unless he played a similar character type to Thorin (as Patrick Stewart did with Picard/Xavier, the benevolent leaders) he wouldn’t really work for X-Men purposes. People would just see a Dwarven King no matter what.

Trivia: Richard also played an unnamed fighter pilot in STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE. So he’s batting above average for big budge-franchises, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2020 1:56 PM

R93 AIKC wants to give the book to someone who can’t spell ‘Rogue’?

This is going great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2020 1:59 PM

R93 Yes, yes I am. Except, rather than put my head up my ass like Singer, I'll hire Chris Claremont to oversee the characterization.

R97 I caught my glaring error right after I posted. You can bet I slapped myself for that stupid mistake.

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2020 7:44 PM

doubt it, he is one of the most loathed men in the business, talentless and rude as fuk

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2020 7:48 PM

R99 Claremont?

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2020 8:10 PM

Claremont ran Byrne off the comic they started and wrote together, because of his controlling sociopathic behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2020 8:36 PM

Yeah, Byrne is a bit of an asshole and most of their issues were Byrne caused. I've read enough of Byrne's take on their situation to know that.

Regardless of how you feel about Claremont as a person, he's insanely talented and excellent at giving each character an individual voice. He's big weakness is that he tends to go a bit too far with some of his weirder plots, without someone to temper him (which is what Byrne did). Left unchecked, we get tentacle Callisto. That's why I only wanted Claremont to help whoever writes the movie with characterization instead of writing it himself. Although, his novelizations of the first two movies were better than the movies were.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2020 9:57 PM

Ok was anybody going to tell me that Shawn Ashmore now plays a pyrotechnic in THE BOYS or was I just supposed to find that shit out myself?

Last time I saw a super-powered dude fuck with a lighter was... hmmm... when was it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2020 10:08 PM

So what are Marvel seeing when they look at Shia? A way to burn money?

Guess after the decision-making that led to Leto! Morbius and AVENGERS: ENDGAME, one more “fuck it” couldn’t hurt.

by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2020 1:59 PM

His tats are tragic. There's a risk he would transmit STI's. I would fuck him a sleazy motel. It's all one fantasy package. Not for vanilla dusty holed eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2020 2:13 PM

Shia is too cool for this kind of role IMO.

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2020 2:14 PM

R105 Shia looks like runs a sleazy motel. Or manages a small tight-knit family of whores out of one. Either way.

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2020 2:25 PM

Let me take a moment to feel how much I adore awkward, dorky, recently-Out longtime closet-case adult Bobby🤣🤣

“Peter, no! That’s my special friend!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2020 6:56 PM

Iceman is a jock who likes wisecracking and keeping things light, but he’s not a cool angsty morally-conflicted hero. Underneath he’s just a big goofy nerd who has a lot of catching up to do on the subject of ‘Gay in the 21st Century’. A role like this calls for an endearing, wholesome, likeable, aw-shucks All-American type of guy.

by Anonymousreply 109August 21, 2020 1:09 PM

R109 well then Shia would have been a good pick.....10+ years ago.

by Anonymousreply 110August 21, 2020 2:16 PM

Shia and Colton are in their 30s. Millennials are old now. They need to hire a younger person to play Iceman.

by Anonymousreply 111August 21, 2020 2:18 PM

You have to give them credit. Marvel has done a fairly decent job with casting most of it's stars.

The only true fails are Brie Larson and Ed Norton's Hulk.

Best casting: tie between RDJ and Tom Holland.

by Anonymousreply 112August 21, 2020 8:52 PM

Best casting is Tom Holland's ass.

by Anonymousreply 113August 21, 2020 9:18 PM

R112 it’s probably just me, but I liked Norton’s Bruce Banner more than Ruffalo’s.

I know Edward is a privileged nasty asshole as a person so it’s better in a socially-moral sense that he doesn’t have the gig, but I felt he gave the fuller and more rich performance as the character of Bruce. For me, Norton was the perfect blend of vulnerability with hostility and animal terror with logical collectedness that makes Bruce/Hulk who he is, whereas I only discern one good note in Ruffalo’s version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 22, 2020 10:51 AM

[quote]but I felt he gave the fuller and more rich performance as the character of Bruce.

It's easier to give that better performance when you have an entire movie to yourself, rather than what Ruffalo has had to share the screen with many other stars although obviously, Norton is generally the better actor.

by Anonymousreply 115August 22, 2020 6:12 PM

Did anyone like Bana's??

by Anonymousreply 116August 23, 2020 1:32 AM

SyFy want Dan Amboyer to play Iceman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 28, 2020 7:22 PM

If they're going for an older Iceman I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 118August 28, 2020 7:24 PM

R118 an older Bobby who is freshly out of the closet could be such a killer story in the right hands.

by Anonymousreply 119August 30, 2020 10:43 AM

Bobby Drake is always a built but slender peaches-and-cream cornfed blond. Shia wouldn’t work for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 120September 3, 2020 9:05 PM

Noooooooooo, no, not LaDoufus

by Anonymousreply 121September 3, 2020 9:10 PM

Bobby Drake has never been blond. He is always brown-haired. Angel was the team blond in the original X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 122September 3, 2020 9:22 PM

Shia's a dweeb that used to get the shit beaten out of him by both bar hoppers and transients. Sometimes both a transient and barhopped in the same 2 minute YouTube video.

Anyone that calls him cool is clueless or a PR shill for Bob Iger.

Shia is desperate to project "hard" because he's clearly so soft. He's "angry" all the time but that's never gonna make him James Dean or McQueen. He's an overmatched dork to his core that comes closer to channeling Dustin Hoffman...on his worst day.

by Anonymousreply 123September 3, 2020 9:27 PM

nooooo

he is a turd and ruffian

by Anonymousreply 124September 3, 2020 11:00 PM

Didn’t Shia renounce the world of mainstream film, anyway?

Well, it was more a flouncing “you can’t fire me if I quit” type of move, but the effect is the same.

by Anonymousreply 125September 13, 2020 11:15 AM

Don’t really care who plays Iceman. As a character he’s a vanilla, save-the-day, golly-gee clown, much like Beast Boy of the Titans.

The Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants were more relatable and interesting, as well as more overtly gay. Who will play Avalanche, and Toad, and Blob, and Pyro?

by Anonymousreply 126September 17, 2020 10:35 PM

In all honesty, I'm far more worried about who they'll choose to be Storm. She's been so miscast so far. =(

by Anonymousreply 127September 17, 2020 10:41 PM

R126 there were rumors that Harry Styles could be joining the MCU X-Men and possibly play Pyro.

by Anonymousreply 128September 17, 2020 10:43 PM

R128 better be trolling, or I will have to punch a hole straight through my damn bedroom wall.

Pyro is my favourite X-Men character, and one of the very few canonical gays in the books. They cannot do him dirty like that.

by Anonymousreply 129September 17, 2020 11:03 PM

R129 there were 2 characters named Pryo. The first was St. John Allerdyce and the second was Simon Lasker. Simon is the one who fucked Iceman.

by Anonymousreply 130September 17, 2020 11:49 PM

R130 Yes, I’m aware of that, thanks. I used to read the books, and I started one of the DL threads about Nu!Pyro.

Tbh I don’t care if Styles plays Simon Lasker and it’s not up to me, though I’d really rather he didn’t. The role of St. John Allerdyce, however, is way too important to fuck with or fuck up, and so ought to go to a serious trained actor with more experience who knows what they’re doing. That character meant to much to me growing up gay and coming out, and I will not be fucking happy if they give Styles - or any other straight-acting, part-time entertainer for that matter - the St. John role.

In terms of minor mutant characters, I’d sooner give Styles the part of Maggott, Ink, Anole, Cypher, Riptide, Quill, or best of all - and work with me, here - Goldballs (in all seriousness, I think if Harry commits to it he could be very entertaining in that role). If he absolutely has to be a firebending character, he could just as easily be Sunspot and not offend a contingent of old guard movie & comic fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2020 12:15 AM

[easing him back into the big budget environment that he’d previously sworn off]

He needs the money.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2020 12:33 AM

R131 Since when is St. John gay?

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2020 1:28 AM

They need to recreate this scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2020 1:38 AM

R133 since inception, technically, though sadly this was not to be made explicitly textual.

St. John Allerdyce was originally conceptualised and written by Claremont as a coded-gay foppish Brit in his thirties, but after just a handful of introductory appearances this was retconned by Byrne and for some reason the character became a younger Aussie man with ambiguous orientation.

Even still, throughout the comics St. John is not shown to contend with heterosexuality in a positive way at all, and so ends up being one of the first mutants to contract the Legacy virus (the cognate for AIDS) then later giving his life heroically to save another man during the HOUSE OF M Arc - incidents that while not explicitly gay do imply a subtextual message about him.

Furthermore, two of the main animated series (X-MEN on Fox, and X-MEN: EVOLUTION) also subtly suggest that St. John/Pyro is an ambiguously-gay or bi character, given the presentation of his attachment to Avalanche and his rather specific disdain for female characters.

Then there’s the St. John/Pyro of theSinger movies - the one best known to most people - whose close relationship with Bobby/Iceman suddenly deteriorates thanks to Rogue’s arrival, and who chooses to align with the extremely camp coded-gay Erik Lensherr/Magneto as part of an underground movement of outcasts, instead of staying in suburban security with Xavier’s X-Men to watch Bobby’s performance of heterosexuality. Singer himself, an unapologetically Out gay man, has implied in junkets (can’t find sources right now, but they’re out there) that he relates more to the character of Pyro than most of the other X-Men characters, particularly the Pyro he wrote in X2: UNITED.

It’s all there in quite a surface-level reading, if one cares to look.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2020 11:20 AM

R135 It's been years, so I'm not as up to date with Pyro, but it sounds like St. John was in the same boat as Iceman, Shatterstar, and Rictor. It was never explicitly said they were LGBT, but there was enough in their backstories to justify the revelation without it coming from seemingly nowhere. I hope they explore his sexuality more now that's he's running with the X-Men. Thanks for the refresher.

As far as Singer is concerned, his thoughts and intentions mean nothing to me. I despise what he did with the X-Men in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2020 8:17 PM

[Quote] As far as Singer is concerned, his thoughts and intentions mean nothing to me. I despise what he did with the X-Men in the movies.

Why??

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2020 8:21 PM

R137 also my question.

X2 is sublime, dare I say a masterpiece. It’s one of the only truly meaningful, beautiful, and well-crafted superhero films to exist, in an oeuvre cluttered with dreck and pointlessness. It’s so good that it transcends its awful genre, and is now considered by critics as an excellent political sci-fi thriller in its own right.

You may not agree with Singer’s questionable personal life and choices nor his work ethic (I certainly do not), but there’s no question that his contribution to the X-Men lore is a fine one, if only for X2. Remember, X3 was not directed by him nor did he finish his final script for it (oh, what could have been...)

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2020 8:32 PM

Singer didn't want any comics on set at all or for the actors to read them and basically said to ignore them. Current Marvel overload Kevin Feige who was also part of the crew at that time secretly snuck some comics to Hugh Jackman. So he could lean more about his character Wolverine. Hugh didn't know anything at all about Wolverine or that there was even an actual animal called a Wolverine.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2020 9:53 PM

R139 Singer’s reasoning behind that is arguably sound. He wanted to make a streamlined, contemporary picture in a cinematic way, uncluttered by the lurid and messy complications of the X-Men lore to date. In so doing he revitalised a genre, and brought to the table the possibility of making films with and about superheroes that weren’t ‘comic-book’ in nature. Singer’s aim was to make a stylish and fresh movie about superpowered people that would work for general audiences of teen age and up, and he absolutely succeeded in that in a groundbreaking fashion.

But fat incels can’t stop whining about “muh Wolverine!” and wondering where the yellow Lycra suits went. Artistic interpretation and license, look into it.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2020 9:59 PM

I explained my issues with the Singer films earlier in the thread. I don't really care about storylines or costumes being changed, but too many characters just weren't written correctly.

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2020 4:35 AM

Fair comment. It’s undeniable that characters like Storm/Ororo & Cyclops/Scott got the shaft in Singer’s movies, and that significant and important characterisations were either altered in wrongheaded fashions such as that of Jean Grey & Rogue/Marie, or omitted altogether as in the case of poor Gambit/Rémy. This is a crying shame, and the only major and unforgivable fault I find in X1, X2 & X3. This however is an issue that persists throughout every X-Men live-action film that has ever been made to date; honestly, the animated series render and handle their large cast of characters far better.

The problem here, as far as I can tell, is that a) there is a sense of Archive Panic and Too Many Characters in the X-Men canon, making it a notoriously difficult literature for anyone to adapt, and b) in the traditional 2-hour movie format, some things from the source material simply have to give.

In order to make the crucial gay-rights fable Singer needed and wanted certain characters and plot points had to act as a sacrifice. Many fans would have chosen different characters and threads to drop or pick up, no question. For every fan that was delighted and amazed by X1 through 3, another was bitterly disappointed. Though, if you aren’t making divisive waves and causing a little controversy, are you really an exciting filmmaker worth watching?

Ultimately (no pun intended), I would contend Singer did what he had to do, and sadly the collateral could not have been minimised any more. I appreciate that this will not be explanation enough for a swathe of X-Men fans, however, and that is valid.

To return to the question at hand; Shia Labeouf & Harry Styles could damage the X-Men universe as much as Singer, albeit in a different more marginal way. They aren’t suited or equipped to play in these stories.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2020 12:41 PM

I think it's important to be clear here: Singer didn't do what he HAD to do, he did what he WANTED to do. Marvel and Feige seem to have a better track record with handling characters and large casts, so I'm looking forward to their X-Men.

I can see how how Shia could be damaging,. but Harry seems to have a good reputation and received good reviews for his role in Dunkirk.

by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2020 6:59 PM

Looks like Jamie Foxx is coming back as Electro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 4, 2020 6:09 AM

I never watched the Spidey movies with Andrew Garfield. But i guess Jamie wasn't the worst thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 145October 4, 2020 6:38 AM

R88 Angela Bassett would have been The perfect Storm.

But it's nice to know she was part of the MCU in Black Panther

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 4, 2020 7:38 PM

R146 I remember reading an interview with her way back then where she says she was shocked she lost out on the part. I think Vanessa Williams was the first choice, but she was pregnant with twins at the time. It was a shame, because she had the look and presence already.

by Anonymousreply 147October 4, 2020 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!