Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

After Life on Netflix

Anyone else watch this show? It's really well done and I like it a lot, but it is a very sad show. I appreciate that a show can just go with that feeling and lean into it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2020 1:35 AM

I loved when he called the kid a “ginger cunt.” Surprisingly good show.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 8:46 PM

Excellent. Gervais shows are perfectly cast. I love the women on this show. Funny and heartfelt.

I started watching Back to Life (British series on SHO, also on Hulu) and it so reminded me of After Life with its humor and tone.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2020 12:09 AM

This show is well worth watching if you're looking for something else to watch on Netflix. Looks like it is going to have a third season at least as well.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2020 12:34 AM

Very well done. Great look at living with grief and depression. Genuinely funny and bittersweet, like life. I love the quirky characters.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2020 12:40 AM

Before this I was never really a Ricky Gervaise fan, but this is so excellent I’ve decided to go back and find and wstch . . . Extras, Derek and the original British version of The Office.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 11:21 AM

R5 "Extras" is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Hysterically funny with great quirky characters.

The final season gets very dark, though, so be prepared for a big change in tone. That's what I love about Ricky Gervais - he's equally adept at exploring the funny and the sad.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 11:27 AM

I appreciate it but I tried to get into it and couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 11:29 AM

It's sad, depressing, and bittersweet, but it's a pleasure to watch and I feel better after watching it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 11:31 AM

I liked it very much as well. Always a few laugh out loud moments in every episode, yet very bittersweet at times. Ricky's character is pretty off-putting in the first episode but bear with it!

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 12:24 PM

[quote]I appreciate that a show can just go with that feeling and lean into it.

Well said, OP. It's difficult to describe the show. Yes, it's about depression but it's not depressing. I don't care for Gervais in any of his hosting or stand-up gigs but his series are always good. The Office is a classic; his David Brent was the epitome of 'cringeworthy' and the entire cast was spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 1:41 PM

If you haven't seen this yet, watch it this weekend. You won't be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 1:17 AM

It's the only show about grief that I could recommend to someone who is grieving. It captures the rage and pain perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2020 2:56 PM

R12, Maybe I’ll try to watch it again. I only made it half way through the first episode. It didn’t occur to me that it was my own grief that I didn’t want to see. I just thought the show was too heavy.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2020 3:24 PM

It's funnier than it is sad. The minor characters as always in Gervais stuff are so beautifully drawn. Everyone gets attended to at some point in the series.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2020 12:35 AM

Love this show. I was surprised there was a second season. And yet, a couple of episodes in the second season made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2020 12:59 AM

When will Season 3 be released?

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2020 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!