Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

College Sweatshirts & Hats

When is it time to stop wearing these? I say that after 40, it’s sad. It’s especially sad on older gays who want to look like they’re into college sports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2020 6:46 PM

T-shirts, key chains, etc are also included.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2020 3:24 PM

Includes “Vets” and their silly caps. Thanks for your “service”... barf 🤮

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2020 3:25 PM

I know plenty of straights that wear these well into their 80s OP

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2020 3:25 PM

I don’t tell you what to wear, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2020 3:26 PM

R3 Straight people wear these for different sad reasons.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2020 3:27 PM

I find Americans and their tribal identification with private colleges and universities odd in general.

An adult in his 50s who constantly brands himself with the dubious label of an expensive, elite institution he attended 30-odd years ago--has his life not amounted to more in the years since? Perhaps not.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2020 3:30 PM

OP posted her rant while wearing a pride shirt.

OP, when has anyone, other than now, and you, suggested that something as banal, harmless and common as wearing college swag be stopped? Should everyone wear black Prada button-downs and skinny jeans?

With so much else appalling, worrisome, irritating and stupid, THIS is what you decide to post about? Bitching about people having pride in, or enjoying wearing university and college branded clothing? WHY? I've never even thought of this, and I'm a gay guy who loves fashion and is always happy to snark and laugh over silly clothing trends. But this? Really?

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2020 3:31 PM

OP you're a judgemental jerk. Who the devil cares what an alumnus wears?

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2020 3:31 PM

Never. No to all legible clothing.

The worst are American tourists who go to Madrid or Dublin or wherever and buy THEIR American-style college hoodies to wear at home.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2020 3:32 PM

My ex used to wear sports hoodies and jerseys thinking it made him look straight, but he didn’t know a thing about sports, It was funny to watch him try to fake his way through a sports conversation. He was a Barbie doll collecting mama’s boy.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2020 3:38 PM

Black Prada button-downs and skinny jeans are so 2010, at best.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2020 3:39 PM

I'm sorry the very existence of these items so wounds your delicate constitution, OP.

My college degree was earned much later in life. I didn't do well on my first try since I was recovering from having the shit beaten out of me every day by homophobic assholes.

So I spent 40K (after aid and scholarships) to earn that degree a few years ago. I don't actually have a shirt or sweatshirt with the logo, but I'd proud of my hard work, and you're lucky I haven't painted the fucking logo to my school on the side of my fucking house.

I'd rather make fun of far more heinous fashion crimes, like the 60 year old queen who believes those Z Cavaricci pants make her look 28.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2020 3:39 PM

As long as you went to the institution, think it's fine to wear collegiate merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2020 3:41 PM

Nice job perpetuating the stereotype that gays don't like sports, OP.

I'm a proud alum of the University of Michigan. I wear a Michigan shirt every football game day, and frequently during basketball season. As does my husband (who I met there) and my 82 year old father. Sometimes I wear one just for the hell of it. I feel sorry for you that you don't have the same sense of pride in whatever college you attended (IF you attended one?).

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2020 3:42 PM

Acceptable:

- While attending a game

- While watching a game on television

- While doing yard work

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2020 3:43 PM

Not to suggest it's a good look, but I assume older guys wearing college/alumni sweatshirts are parents or grandparents of students or alumni grand/parents.

I'm a little forgiving of the familial pride in the right context or setting. Otherwise 40 is the cut off date for slogan and message t-shirts and clothing that I applied to myself (and no alumni anything.)

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2020 3:44 PM

Who's the "Americans are so tiresome and do this-or-that" troll we have around here?

Anybody else notice this person? Bitching about supposedly all these tacky things "the Americans" do? Who the FUCK is this and why are they trolling an American discussion forum if they've got so much damage with "the Americans" ?!

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2020 3:45 PM

I'm so glad that, amid the collapse of democracy and the fact that the planet is on fire, we have people here focusing on the REAL issues, like suitable times to wear items of clothing.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2020 3:46 PM

OP appears to have touched a nerve or two with this topic.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2020 3:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2020 3:47 PM

I was a college athlete (track and field), and they gave me boxes and boxes of very nice casual clothing (sweats, tees, etc.) during my 4 years there that I was still wearing some of it a decade later. Was I not supposed to wear it after I graduated OP?

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2020 3:47 PM

R19 I'm sure that was OP's intention.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 3:48 PM

LIndsey, dressed for the occasion, at a Clemson practice observing the tight ends and other players.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2020 3:51 PM

Track and field is so gay.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2020 3:54 PM

They wear stuff emblazoned with the name one of the universities in their home state even though they didn’t finish high school and couldn’t pass any 101 class on anything. It is indeed a tribal identification. A billion dollar semi-professional sports industry attached to institutions of higher learning is uniquely American, and it’s really weird.

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2020 4:05 PM

Sounds like somebody didn't go to college.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2020 4:27 PM

Fairly innocuous, typical casual clothes for many. Fashion police need to work harder, as there are many worthwhile targets out there.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2020 4:32 PM

R25 - that's what I found weird as well. I went a university in the 80s where the frat & sorority types wore college or frat branded shit EVRY GOD-DAMMED DAY. I was even more contrary back then, and decided after a week on campus I wouldn't buy a college t-shirt until after graduation. I did but hardly ever wore it -- I'm just not into tribal ID on any level (friends also give me shit for "not really being gay") but that's just me, everyone else can do as they please.

However my assumption has always been if you wear a shirt you are an alum. Over a decade ago we did a friends reunion/tailgate in Columbus when our school was playing Ohio State, I have no interest in football or sports in general, but like seeing my friends so I went and spray died my hair our school color as a goof. We were surrounded in the stands by people decked out in multiple pieces of OSU gear - hat & jacket & sweatshirt was the norm. To be friendly I struck up conversations with people around me, asking "what year did you graduate?" Every single one of them said they never went to OSU, they were just fans of the team. That was a huge surprise to stupid me, since I'm pretty clueless about American sports culture.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2020 4:36 PM

Look bitch, OP! I don’t come to your house and tell you to stop wearing that purple zebra striped caftan with little Mitzi’s shit stains all over it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2020 4:38 PM

A friend (with a perfectly respectable degree from a SUNY school) wears his Harvard Crimson Men's Lacrosse or Yale Bulldogs t-shirts out at bars in Hell's Kitchen or on FIre Island.... and swears they get him laid every single time.

Who loves a man from the Ivy League? Everyone, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2020 5:59 PM

You can wear them to your home football games, if you don’t wear a tie. You can wear them running errands and doing work around the house. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2020 6:01 PM

"He was a Barbie doll collecting mama’s boy."

You dated a Barbie doll?

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2020 6:12 PM

^^R10

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2020 6:12 PM

Wear what you want, when you want. Fuck anyone who has enough leisure time to care about it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2020 6:13 PM

OP is sad because he went to Pat Nixon Community College and is afraid to wear his sweatshirt because he knows people will laugh at him.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2020 6:54 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2020 7:33 PM

Another observation/experience, I’ve noticed that people rarely wear this stuff in cities, unless they’re in academia. At least that’s what I’ve noticed in NYC and LA, where I’ve worked in academia. When I went to London for the first time, I actually threw my college hoodie in the trash. I felt embarrassed to wear it there, and it made room for things to bring back home.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2020 7:36 PM

Ted Knight wore a different college sweatshirt in just about every episode of "Too Close For Comfort."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2020 7:36 PM

I don't mind the sweatshirts so much, it's the polos/golf shirts. I live in New Orleans and the second you step foot outside Orleans Parish, you're assaulted by the site of fat beer guts grotesquely encased in polyester purple and yellow (LSU colours) golf shirts from Walmart. Hideous to behold.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 8:00 PM

We won! We won!

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 9:54 PM

We won! We won!

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2020 2:53 AM

I was a higher school counselor for many years. I advised the college-bound students. I always buy a t-shirt when I visit a college for the first time. I have over 200 of them. I don't wear them to restaurants or nightclubs or family events. I wear them when I work around the house, go to the grocery, go to "one-stop for everything" stores. The community knows I have so many of them, they ask me why I'm not wearing one.

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2020 3:33 AM

I wear my college apparel in appropriate casual situations: running errands, attending a game, hanging out with my college friends, etc. I have a few shirts, several hats, and a couple of sweatshirts (although it rarely gets cold enough here to wear those). I like to collect hats of schools/teams/places and I wear them because my job causes me to be out in the sun frequently and I want to protect my skin. While most of my college hats are for my alma mater, I have a couple from some other schools because I liked the logos or the colors.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2020 5:18 AM

OP, it’s not like that guy is wearing booty shorts or something. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2020 5:29 AM

Do they make college caftans?

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2020 5:45 AM

I’m noticing that many commenters have a problem with more feminine styles of clothing. If someone wants to wear a kaftan because it’s comfortable, and it reflects their inner lady, I think that’s acceptable. Wearing a college T-shirt because they think it makes them look young and butch (it doesn’t) is sad.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2020 2:26 PM

Most hetero college grads (and a good percentage of younger gay ones) have children OP, which is more likely the reason you see 50 and 60 year olds in college sweatshirts--their kids go to Duke or Georgetown and so long as they are paying $75K a year for their kids to go there, they are going to at least get a hat or a sweatshirt out of it.

Not to mention a bumper sticker.

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote]bumper sticker

Oh, please, let us not go there.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2020 2:47 PM

Bumper stickers are the physical manifestations of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 3:16 PM

I do have a few shirts from my alma mater that I might wear to the gym, but its the school tie I wear more often. Its a reminder of good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2020 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!