Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors and singers who become hosts of talk shows or entertainment news shows

I don't get this. I understand when comedians do this, because they get to practice comedy still; but an actor like Mario Lopez or Drew Barrymore or a singer like Kelly Clarkson or Mark McGrath is not only doing something completely different, but they're turning their back on their craft. It's as if all that they really care about in the end is just being famous. I'm not surprised at Lopez or McGrath, since they were never that talented to begin with (just handsome); but Barrymore has worked hard as an actress (particularly in "Grey Gardens"), and Clarkson is a genuinely talented singer.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 2:55 AM

Being a professional musician is exhausting and the touring and promo / press junkets are a lot. You are always on the road, your hours are skewed, you are usually up really late. It takes a lot of work to keep your voice and vocal chords healthy including often not talking for days. You are always needing to be thinking about the next album and new music etc. I think once you have done all that very successfully for twenty plus years, you get tired of it. You just want to be home with your family, put your kids to bed, talk when you want, and take life at an easier and simpler pace. Probably the same for acting. Barrymore has been acting for 40 years. I get why she wants a change. Both Drew and Kelly have young kids. They want to be home and do something different. I doubt it means they will never sing or act again - just that won't be their sole focus.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2020 9:16 PM

Because steady employment and soo much $$$, OP.

Nobody was offering Drew feature films anyway, but outside of the Marvel Universe, films really don't pay the way TV does nowadays.

I don't really follow country, but can't Clarkson keep both her TV show and her recording career?

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2020 9:16 PM

Drew Barrymore has always had the personality fit for a talk show host. She sells makeup at Walmart , that’s been her only claim to fame for the past decade. She’s washed up as an actress and will never reach her earlier heights again.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2020 9:19 PM

Mario Lopez is the Dean Cain of Antonio Sabato Jrs.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2020 9:21 PM

brilliant comment r4!

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote]vocal chords

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote] I think once you have done all that very successfully for twenty plus years, you get tired of it. You just want to be home with your family, put your kids to bed, talk when you want, and take life at an easier and simpler pace.

NOT ME

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2020 9:41 PM

R4, marry me. I asked first.

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2020 10:04 PM

Maybe, OP, however both Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin were singers first. They made excellent talk-show hosts.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 2:40 AM

R9, and Dinah Shore.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2020 2:49 AM

Mark McGrath’s music career had dried up by the time he started presenting. He has a degree in communications if I recall correctly and decided to utilize it. He was actually smart by being realistic about his music shelf life and was able to have a successful new career. And let’s be honest - he couldn’t sing for shit.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2020 2:53 AM

Gotta pay the bill$, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2020 2:54 AM

On this topic, I predict DL fave Armie Hammer will oneday host a television show. I can see him on America's Funniest Home Videos.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2020 2:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!